Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:54:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: I hate being a n00b 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I hate being a n00b  (Read 4322 times)
Shavnir
Terracotta Army

on: October 27, 2004, 09:09:06 PM

But I'll admit, I will beat myself once I learn how to fix this.

<noob>

I go to run the EQ 2 patcher and it just gives me the little screen that has the SOE logo and says "Receiving File EQ2Module.dll..." and once it finishes, POOF GONE.  I asked schild for help, and he suggested reinstalling.  After finding the same results he merely kicked dirt in my face and proceeded to laugh at me.  So anyone have advice on how to either contact SOE tech support (or is that phrase an oxymoron? ) or get this damn thing to work?

</noob>
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1 on: October 27, 2004, 09:19:56 PM

Did it create an "EverQuest II Beta" shortcut on your desktop? If so try running that. If not, do you have a BetaEQ2.exe file somewhere on your machine (should be in your EverQuest II directory)? If so try running that.
Shavnir
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: October 27, 2004, 09:20:29 PM

That's what I have been running.  I'll go double check that its the right file.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3 on: October 27, 2004, 09:24:20 PM

Do you have some firewall software like ZoneAlarm that might be blocking attempts to connect out from your machine?
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

Reply #4 on: October 27, 2004, 09:28:47 PM

Are you missing any OS components?  DX9.0c, .Net framework, or anything?  Check for a Launchpad.log file whereever you installed.  That's where SWG put all it's early errors.

Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
Shavnir
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: October 27, 2004, 09:36:37 PM

Only firewall that might be interfering would be the one ran by the university.  You know, not to block viruses, but filesharing programs.

I've got DX9.0c and I think I still have the .net Framework.  The thing is I was partially done downloading it when it started dying on me like this.  The thing is I didn't make any changes to my system between when it worked and now when it doesn't.

Also when I uninstalled / deleted the prevoius uninstall a few files refused to be deleted saying they were still in use.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #6 on: October 27, 2004, 09:42:50 PM

Quote from: Shavnir
Also when I uninstalled / deleted the prevoius uninstall a few files refused to be deleted saying they were still in use.

Try rebooting your machine to clear the "in use" flags. What directory are you installing the game to?
Shavnir
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: October 27, 2004, 09:43:36 PM

Default directory, C:\Program Files\Sony\

Then it branches off into Everquest II and Station
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #8 on: October 27, 2004, 09:53:15 PM

Quote from: Shavnir
Default directory, C:\Program Files\Sony\

Okay check your PM.
Shavnir
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: October 27, 2004, 09:57:43 PM

I did the reboot trick and that was what it needed.  I always forget the #1 rule of computing...turn it off and back on :P

Okay, as promised I will now beat myself violently, and as an added bonus, against a surface / texture of your choice :D
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #10 on: October 28, 2004, 05:14:26 AM

"Turn it off and back on" is the number one rule for everything with a plug.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #11 on: October 28, 2004, 07:53:18 AM

You really kept installing and uninstalling the thing without rebooting your computer.... even my grandmother knows that.

Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: October 28, 2004, 07:57:17 AM

If using XP, you shouldn't have to reboot after the installation. To clear out files after the uninstallation, possibly, but even a simple logoff should unlock any files that were in use by that user.

As to connectivity to the servers, I know several folks who won't be able to play EQ2 from the university where I work because of the university firewall and bandwidth management. It's probably a good thing as far as their grades are concerned, but they aren't too happy about it.

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: I hate being a n00b  
Jump to: