Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 07:29:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: Tier 2 City SS 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tier 2 City SS  (Read 4573 times)
waylander
Terracotta Army

on: June 05, 2008, 05:47:47 AM

We've upgraded our keep to Tier 2, and hopefully will have the full city upgraded by this time next week. The resources needed for Tier 3 are just insane though.

Anyway, here's a pick of my nice mountain view.

Lords of the Dead
Gaming Press - Retired
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 06:13:09 AM

Heh, in RL you'd have flood issues, as well as the danger of avalanches, rock slides, mud slides taking out your city.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 07:00:05 AM

I'm sure they'll patch those right in.

We're safe though, I'm sure a castle built on a swamp will be JUST FINE
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 07:09:51 AM

The keep doesn't look very different.  I thought it would be an entirely different facade since it's made out of granite and such.  I'm a little disappointed, as far as I can tell all you got was another layer of logs on the top and a few more banners.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 07:32:58 AM

Among the many and many metagame things missing, the one I can't stop thinking all the time is the lack of guild banners, logos, emblems. So long for a guilds PvP game.
Oh wait, I am derailing. Thing is, the least I was expecting for was to have it on guild cities, while right now you can't even tell who owns what. Meh.

They imitated ShadowBane but fell short of the basics. Luckily enough, they didn't imitate SB's combat.

Anyway, gratz on that!

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 07:35:58 AM

Does it clear the grass and crap in the "fields" when you start placing buildings? (as in, inside the walls of the fort)

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 08:59:51 AM

They imitated ShadowBane but fell short of the basics. Luckily enough, they didn't imitate SB's combat.

Huh? SB had an incredible combat system.

I am the .00000001428%
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 09:06:23 AM

I like SB combat as much as the next guy, but incredible is going too far.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008, 09:26:23 AM

I like SB combat as much as the next guy, but incredible is going too far.

I was gonna go with "second best to aoc only"

I am the .00000001428%
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: June 05, 2008, 09:42:40 AM

What was so good about SB's system (I really don't remember what SB's combat was like, it's been too long, I just remember a ton of buttons on my screen for my confessor)?
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #10 on: June 05, 2008, 09:48:52 AM

I *love* Shadowbane, everyone knows it. I STILL love it.
I just think AoC combat is the best thing happened to MMORPGs in a long time.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: June 05, 2008, 10:16:47 AM

What was so good about SB's system (I really don't remember what SB's combat was like, it's been too long, I just remember a ton of buttons on my screen for my confessor)?

Its been a very long time since i played but i remember a lot of strategy and thought going into what powers you used and when.  Combat was based around powers that gave very short (5-8s) buffs/debuffs so there was a lot of countering and countercountering with your enemy, for example a warrior hits you with a weapon skill that temporarily lowered your armor making you take more dmg per hit, you counter with one that ups your dodge chance, so they hit you with something that lowers your defence making you easier to hit, so you hit them with pne that lowers their damage, by this time the first debuffs are already gone so the situation has already changed.  Basically rock/paper/scissors but instead of one class always being the scissors and another always being the paper there was ways to deal every class, even if some matchups were stacked one way or the other.  It wasn't as good/fun as AoC but it was the best implementation of the autoattack + special move system every other game has.

I am the .00000001428%
schild
Administrator

Reply #12 on: June 05, 2008, 11:18:00 AM

Seriously? I know how many hours I've logged into the game. I know what I've gotten done. So I have to ask - and I've been pretty efficient with what I do - how poopy are your socks? I mean, neat and all, but ACK!.
Lightstalker
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: June 05, 2008, 11:22:25 AM

Its been a very long time since i played but i remember a lot of strategy and thought going into what powers you used and when.  Combat was based around powers that gave very short (5-8s) buffs/debuffs so there was a lot of countering and countercountering with your enemy, for example a warrior hits you with a weapon skill that temporarily lowered your armor making you take more dmg per hit, you counter with one that ups your dodge chance, so they hit you with something that lowers your defence making you easier to hit, so you hit them with pne that lowers their damage, by this time the first debuffs are already gone so the situation has already changed.  Basically rock/paper/scissors but instead of one class always being the scissors and another always being the paper there was ways to deal every class, even if some matchups were stacked one way or the other.  It wasn't as good/fun as AoC but it was the best implementation of the autoattack + special move system every other game has.

You were playing in Beta engaging in 1-2 person vs. 1-2 person encounters. 

Release Shadowbane was:
  • /assist
  • Massed Blaster Fire
  • tab-repeat

and "everyone stand inside the character model of that huge Mino/HalfGiant so the opposition cannot click-target the squishies."

SB combat degenerated into stack warfare which wasn't very exciting or dynamic at all.  It was fun and all naming your entire guild's characters with variations of llllIIIIIlllll to frustrate the /target command (their sans serif font caused lower case L and upper case I to display the same).  It certainly didn't help the single group game that a stacked group of melee dps with thrown weapons could kill a character before the server notified the target (or his team) that they were under attack in the first place.

Not seeing the part where combat was incredible, perhaps the potential for character development in isolation was cool but it fell down at scale.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 11:24:19 AM by Lightstalker »
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: June 05, 2008, 02:12:36 PM

You were playing in Beta engaging in 1-2 person vs. 1-2 person encounters. 

Release Shadowbane was:
  • /assist
  • Massed Blaster Fire
  • tab-repeat

and "everyone stand inside the character model of that huge Mino/HalfGiant so the opposition cannot click-target the squishies."

SB combat degenerated into stack warfare which wasn't very exciting or dynamic at all.  It was fun and all naming your entire guild's characters with variations of llllIIIIIlllll to frustrate the /target command (their sans serif font caused lower case L and upper case I to display the same).  It certainly didn't help the single group game that a stacked group of melee dps with thrown weapons could kill a character before the server notified the target (or his team) that they were under attack in the first place.

Not seeing the part where combat was incredible, perhaps the potential for character development in isolation was cool but it fell down at scale.

Not all combat was sieges, which was as you described.  There was plenty of small scale fighting to be had if you looked for it, at least while it still had some players.

I am the .00000001428%
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: Tier 2 City SS  
Jump to: