Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:36:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: Character slots 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Character slots  (Read 7133 times)
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

on: October 27, 2004, 12:14:36 PM

You only get four.  That is per account, mind you, not per server.  It's official.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: October 27, 2004, 12:20:09 PM

Quote from: Signe
You only get four.  That is per account, mind you, not per server.  It's official.

So 4 slots per server?

Unusually low - what might be the reasoning here I wonder?

On the Roleplay server in EQ1 you were allowed 1 slot on the server (otherwise on other servers you had at least 8 slots).  They have not designated an RP server as of yet - but I am curious that the slot count is so low.

"I think my brain just shoved its head up its own ass in retaliation.
"  HaemishM.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #2 on: October 27, 2004, 12:23:18 PM

Quote from: jpark
Quote from: Signe

So 4 slots per server?

Unusually low - what might be the reasoning here I wonder?

On the Roleplay server in EQ1 you were allowed 1 slot on the server (otherwise on other servers you had at least 8 slots).  They have not designated an RP server as of yet - but I am curious that the slot count is so low.

Are you blind?  Is that better?

kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: October 27, 2004, 12:24:55 PM

No its not 4 per server. It is as the other person said 4 per account. You can use these four characters all on the same server or on a combination of other servers but you are limited to 4 characters.

While the number is low I would much rather have 4 characters divided as I wish than 10 characters but only 1 per server like SWG.

Kaid
Lanei
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: October 27, 2004, 12:26:13 PM

So are your shared bank slots per account or per server?  And is coin a shared slot?
schild
Administrator

Reply #5 on: October 27, 2004, 12:28:57 PM

How the hell would we know? We're f13.net, purveyors of misinformation. Ask on the SOE forums. You'll get 50 answers in 5 minutes that will have nothing to do with the question. Just like here, only it'll take a couple days longer.

I think coin is shared.
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: October 27, 2004, 12:30:59 PM

I would rather have 8 per server like WoW or EQ1, or 10 per server like AC2, or... the list goes on. 4 characters for the entire game... hmm. I'm going to be buying both EQ2 and WoW, but that's almost enough to push me to play WoW exclusively. EQ2 has more race/class combos, but gives me less opportunity to play them. Not a good design. I won't pay for multiple accounts just to experience more combinations. Nor will I delete characters that I dutifully grind just to make more space for another. Bah. SOE just gets me giggling sometimes.

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
schild
Administrator

Reply #7 on: October 27, 2004, 12:32:14 PM

Four characters is more than enough. Don't bitch just to bitch. Jesus fuck, who cares, you'll never max out 4 in any [future] game anyway.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #8 on: October 27, 2004, 12:38:20 PM

While I may try out several different sorts of characters, I generally end up paying attention to only one.  This isn't game breaking for me, personally, but I know several people who are able to mind several characters at the same time.  It would be nice if they could be accomodated, too.  I did see the post by Moorgard but he didn't state any justification for this... at least I've not come across one.

Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: October 27, 2004, 12:38:36 PM

Quote from: schild
Four characters is more than enough. Don't bitch just to bitch. Jesus fuck, who cares, you'll never max out 4 in any [future] game anyway.

But... it's so fun to bitch...

And who said I wanted to max out any characters? What if I get 4 characters to level 20+ and want to try another race/class combo? Delete one, buy another account, or stop playing. Wow. What tempting options. I guess SOE figures they can keep players from bitching as much if they force them to focus on one character instead of allowing for more variety to those who like it.

But yeah. It's just a game. I just enjoy bitching about SOE. Love to hate kinda thing.

"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #10 on: October 27, 2004, 12:45:25 PM

Well, you only need 4 since there are only 4 archetypes...or is that just a coincidence?

This is the kind of thing SOE can change at the drop of a hat if it is truly impacting sales/subscriptions. SWG got blasted for SCS and their numbers are good - if not as good as they hoped.

I have never played WoW.
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: October 27, 2004, 12:56:03 PM

Quote from: shiznitz
Well, you only need 4 since there are only 4 archetypes...or is that just a coincidence?

This is the kind of thing SOE can change at the drop of a hat if it is truly impacting sales/subscriptions. SWG got blasted for SCS and their numbers are good - if not as good as they hoped.

4 archetypes x how many races if you want to look at it on the most simplistic level for possible combinations. But there are far more combinations if you consider sub-classes and the (supposed) variety that they bring to the table. I figure that a troubadour, swashbuckler and ranger will all play differently, but they all come from the Scout archetype.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: October 27, 2004, 01:04:45 PM

I think SOE's answer will be: If you want to try more character types than you can accomodate with 4 character slots, buy more accounts.  I think they like this solution and will likely have many people doing it.  

For me, I play many different characters and classes and have found that 4 slots are more than ample.  I usually delete the toons that don't interest me and start over.  If I'm not going to play most of them to the endgame, then who really cares? I know other people that always have 6-8 per server... they never play them much but they get some comfort in having them all.  Seems like a preference thing.  If 4 aren't enough, there's always CoH and WoW.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Cyraxx

Email
Reply #13 on: October 27, 2004, 01:34:37 PM

I'm sure you can get an extra character slot for an extra 99 cents a month. :)
AOFanboi
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: October 27, 2004, 02:28:41 PM

Quote from: shiznitz

SquareEnix still has one up on SOE on punishing the player in that regard: Only one character per account, and you don't even get to pick a server!

Lack of character slots = lack of room for experimentation = lack of incentive to try out different characters = lack of interest to explorer-types like me. But I guess EQ2 is for the achiever-minded EQ player.

Current: Mario Kart DS, Nintendogs
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #15 on: October 27, 2004, 08:37:28 PM

Quote from: Lanei
So are your shared bank slots per account or per server?  And is coin a shared slot?

It's per server per faction. E.g. here are four characters all in the same account:

Character A is on Server X and is Faction Qeynos
Character B is on Server X and is Faction Qeynos
Character C is on Server Y and is Faction Qeynos
Character D is on Server Y and is Faction Freeport

Character A and B share 4 bank slots cause they are on the same server and same faction.

Character C does not share any slots with D cause they are different factions even though they are on the same server.

Coin is not shared at all.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #16 on: October 27, 2004, 08:41:15 PM

Quote from: AOFanboi

SquareEnix still has one up on SOE on punishing the player in that regard: Only one character per account, and you don't even get to pick a server!

Though FFXI is only $12.95 a month so you in effect can have 3 FFXI characters for the same price as 4 EQII characters per account.
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

Reply #17 on: October 27, 2004, 08:51:54 PM

Quote from: Trippy

Though FFXI is only $12.95 a month so you in effect can have 3 FFXI characters for the same price as 4 EQII characters per account.

Do those 2 additional characters get to start on the same server as the first?  Or are they randomly assigned as well?

Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #18 on: October 27, 2004, 08:56:10 PM

Quote from: Alkiera
Quote from: Trippy

Do those 2 additional characters get to start on the same server as the first?  Or are they randomly assigned as well?

They start on the same server as the first.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: October 27, 2004, 09:05:02 PM

... expect an exciting offer to pay $0.99 to get a 5th character slot!

I'm still trying to decide whether I'm amused or disgusted by /pizza, assuming it's real, I guess a bit of both.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

Reply #20 on: October 27, 2004, 09:20:28 PM

Quote from: Kageru
... expect an exciting offer to pay $0.99 to get a 5th character slot!

I'm still trying to decide whether I'm amused or disgusted by /pizza, assuming it's real, I guess a bit of both.

Yeah, EQ2 seems to be trying to $0.99/mo their customers to death.

Is there a slash-command list or emote list anywhere?  I'm curious.  I saw a gnome dance, and was pretty sure they'd typed /gnomejustbeforecaffeineoverdose.

Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #21 on: October 27, 2004, 09:46:14 PM

Quote from: Alkiera
Is there a slash-command list or emote list anywhere?  I'm curious.

Dunno about the slash-command list (// doesn't work and /help is useless) but press o to bring up the list of socials.
El Gallo
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: October 28, 2004, 07:26:38 AM

I am pretty sure I read that WoW will only allow 8 characters per account in retail (you can have 8 per server in beta).  I could be wrong about that though.

This post makes me want to squeeze into my badass red jeans.
Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: October 28, 2004, 07:49:18 AM

I seem to remember that it was 10.  One for each class, plus 1.

...any religion that rejects coffee worships a false god.
-Numtini
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: Character slots  
Jump to: