Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 02:25:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: Bizarre class abilities. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bizarre class abilities.  (Read 8028 times)
Kageru
Terracotta Army

on: October 26, 2004, 05:33:54 PM

Transform group member into beaver? Force other character to do kneel emote... some of this stuff is just surreal. It also means that even the ones that sound useful will have to be useless in practice or the whining will begin.

Shadowknight
    * Unholy Steed: Summon an unholy steed to ride into battle.
Paladin
    * Summon Squire: Call forth a faithful squire.
Bruiser
    * Iron Skin Style: Your skin becomes as iron.
Monk
    * Tiger Style: Take the form of a fierce tiger.
Berserker
    * Fury of Fire: Your fists explode into flame.
Guardian
    * Form of the Rook: Alter your appearance to become like a stone rook.
Brigand
    * Disguise: Wood Elf: Fool society into believing you are a kind-hearted Feir’Dal.
Swashbuckler
    * Swashbuckler’s Charm: A group member of the opposite gender becomes flustered with your charm.
Troubador
    * Rousing Celebration: Prompt your group to dance in celebration.
Fury
    * Nature’s Irate Form: Take on the appearance of a harmless badger (harmlessness is questionable).
Mystic
    * Form of the Builder: Transform a group member into a beaver.
Inquisitor
    * Enforced Reverence: Force a group member to kneel before your greatness.
Templar
    * Detect Evil: Discover if a member of your group is Freeportian.
Wizard
    * Tishan’s Freezing Form: Envelop yourself in ice.
Illusionist
    * Group Illusion: Gnoll: Turn your entire group into gnolls.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: October 26, 2004, 06:17:53 PM

Quote from: Kageru

Fury
    * Nature’s Irate Form: Take on the appearance of a harmless badger (harmlessness is questionable).

Badgers?  We don't need no steenking badgers!

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: October 26, 2004, 06:41:42 PM

Inquisitor

/dibs

Ahhhh.... I am playing a Inquisitor for this ability alone!

It's an interesting variation on emotes.  But there may be another issue here too:  given the evil (Freeport) vs. Quenose (good) opposition in the game, there is no pvp which makes these "opposing" factions seem ridiculous.  Perhaps these carebear interactions help provide meaning to the good vs. evil in the game.

Overall I thought this was nifty.  Who knows what else the EQII team will dream up between now and the release of the game lol.

"I think my brain just shoved its head up its own ass in retaliation.
"  HaemishM.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: October 26, 2004, 07:23:34 PM

It's actually rather interesting. The abilities that trigger emotes in other character have really set a lot of people off on the EQ2 boards.  They feel it represents an imposition in their `control' of their own character. Which is valid, but I bet the EQ2 dev's (sleep deprived as they no doubt are) didn't expect it to be an issue.

- Simond
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: October 26, 2004, 07:54:13 PM

It's actually rather interesting. The abilities that trigger emotes in other character have really set a lot of people off on the EQ2 boards.  They feel it represents an imposition in their `control' of their own character. Which is valid, but I bet the EQ2 dev's (sleep deprived as they no doubt are) didn't expect it to be an issue.

Absolutely.  But this is the carebear version of pvp.  They have no actual conflict between Freeport and Quenose - so imposing emotes on other characters of the opposing faction is about as far as they can go.

This should be a non-issue though - if a player is annoyed - all they have to do is ungroup or the group leader can disband the offending player.

"I think my brain just shoved its head up its own ass in retaliation.
"  HaemishM.
pants
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: October 26, 2004, 08:26:13 PM

Inquisitor
    * Enforced Reverence: Force a group member to kneel before your greatness..

Should we run on a contest on how long until this gets used in conjunction with /em you suckzorZ my c0ck!  for hours of fun and frivolity?  I got first dibs on 30 seconds after the first Inquisitor gets this ability.
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #6 on: October 26, 2004, 10:14:07 PM

We need a swashbuckler and a bunch of mystics. You know Weebl will set our dancing beaver movies to infectious tunes.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: October 26, 2004, 11:51:10 PM

Quote from: jpark

Inquisitor

/dibs

Ahhhh.... I am playing a Inquisitor for this ability alone!

No way, man. There can be only one Zod, and I call dibs!

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: October 27, 2004, 12:26:11 AM

Hm, have the useage of the ability give you an immunity to being the subject of the same ability and you've got a game that's probably more tactical than EQ2 combat.

Two inquisitors walking along the dusty street, spotting each other they both reach for their kneelers. In the battle of emotes the fastest macro leaves the other kneeling in the dust. But little do they know a mystic with a loaded beavermaker has a bead drawn on both of them.

It's just too damn silly, they really need to do a random drug test at the SOE offices.

- Simond
Hartsman
Developers

Trion

Reply #9 on: October 27, 2004, 01:11:30 AM

If nothing else comes of the entertainment abilities, the fact that they allowed the phrase "mystic with a loaded beavermaker" to be thought of, typed, and actually have a context, makes them completely worth it.

kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: October 27, 2004, 07:35:19 AM

Frankly I think people are forgetting a few things about emotes and why its not an issue. Movement breaks you out of emotes. Somebody can try to make you kneel but if you move at all you will break out of the animation. Sure it will make you look like you are having a fit but they can't make you kneel unless you are willing to stand still and let them do it.

Also they have to bein your group. If you are in a group with somebody trying to emote suck my cock and forcing you to kneel then frankly its time to type /disband and find a different group. Cause even without the emote that person is a jackass and you really don't want to group with them.

kaid
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #11 on: October 27, 2004, 08:10:32 AM

I think it sounds kind of cool, and would have been a nice track to have followed maybe six months ago, to give classes a real unique feel. Of course, this goes against their wonderful 'gauntlet' design doc, but hey.

I'm all for good emotes and rp mechanisms whenever possible.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #12 on: October 27, 2004, 09:47:17 AM

Most of the dancing emotes make you look like a bloody idiot anyway, such as /dance.  The moods, all of them, are truly awful.  By the way, not all /emotes are broken by movement.  When I want to look like a right prat, I can run, crouch and dance at the same time.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
schild
Administrator

Reply #13 on: October 27, 2004, 10:35:20 AM

/clickheel or whatever it is rocks. They need a /facepalm.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #14 on: October 27, 2004, 11:19:40 AM

Or a /stinkpalm, anyway.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: October 27, 2004, 12:26:39 PM

I think schild the emote you are looking for is the /doh emote. It has your character wack themselves in the forehead with the palm of their hand.

kaid
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #16 on: October 27, 2004, 12:40:27 PM

There used to be a character named Stinkfinger in SB.  Maybe that would make a good emote, too.  Hmm... sounds like an idea for the contest.  I'll rush over and post it... maybe I'll win the surprise!

indiramourning

Email
Reply #17 on: October 27, 2004, 04:24:45 PM

Quote from: Hartsman
If nothing else comes of the entertainment abilities, the fact that they allowed the phrase "mystic with a loaded beavermaker" to be thought of, typed, and actually have a context, makes them completely worth it.

Okie I was looking for a reason to get EQ2.  Thanks :)
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #18 on: October 27, 2004, 05:05:44 PM

Quote from: indiramourning
Some stuff I don't care about

What an interesting avatar.  Are you a furry who is into water sports?

schild
Administrator

Reply #19 on: October 27, 2004, 07:36:36 PM

Quote from: Signe
Quote from: indiramourning
Some stuff I don't care about

What an interesting avatar.  Are you a furry who is into water sports?

That's fucking disgusting.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #20 on: October 28, 2004, 07:48:03 AM

Geez... I was only trying to make the new guy feel welcome!

Edit:  oh, yes... and I want a cigarette, too.

Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #21 on: October 28, 2004, 07:57:01 AM

OMFG, do I really have to look at that fucking avatar, it needs to be changed.  We should come up with avatar rules:

No nudity (NSFW)
No pictures of anything put into the body, processed, and then released in some form
No pictures of KD Lang
NO FUCKING FURRY PICTURES, ESPECIALLY ONES WEARING BATHING SUITS.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: October 28, 2004, 08:34:00 AM

I can live with the avatar...

Yesterday I was scanning the forums and saw that my company on a forum had the name D4rkJ3di.

I think you guys need to be liberal about giving more people banning priviledges.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: Bizarre class abilities.  
Jump to: