Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:31:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: Prison system on pvp servers 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Prison system on pvp servers  (Read 6949 times)
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

on: May 28, 2008, 04:23:00 AM

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/685749/The_MMO_Report_Age_of_Conan_Special.html

quote from a player on another forum about it:

Red Monika Wrote:

According to Jason Stone on today's MMO Report, he's designed this very elaborate "prison system" that is AoC's take on anti-griefing, and it will be implemented fairly soon because it's essentially done and was part of the "launch plan" for the game.

In essence, it specifically targets griefers with a "bounty system" coupled with a "prison sentence".

Griefing would essentially be repeat kills of a player that provides no challenge. For example, repeatedly killing a player much lower level than you who has no chance at all to win against you (so some type of level differential). It would also encompass something like too many successive kills in a row or timeframe (I'm reading between the lines of what he actually said here).

So say you do this in Cimmeria. Enough offenses and you get a "Cimmerian bounty" placed on you. The Bounty Hunter NPCs in Cimmeria can then somehow capture you (no details here), so you can choose to flee to Aquilonia or Stygia and do your dirty deeds there instead. If you ever come back to Cimmeria, you will still have a bounty on your head (no time-out, apparently).

If you get caught by the bounty hunters, you can either bribe them to let you go by paying some amount above and beyond the bounty (one type of money sink penalty), or you can choose to serve prison time.

The prison time is meant to be actively unpleasant. You can't just wait it out. You must perform menial, boring tasks such as "take this stick and kill 300 rats" or "carry this stone to the other side of the yard, pick up a stone on that side and carry it back, do this 300 times", etc.

Finally, somehow the "prison" is visible to other players, so that you get the embarrassment of being seen serving your prison time and doing those menial quests.
Grand Design
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 04:44:53 AM

Add a random chance for the sentence to be followed by public execution.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 04:57:25 AM

That system, if the writeup is accurate, sounds epically retarted.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 05:00:42 AM

That system, if the writeup is accurate, sounds epically retarted.
But it's so realistic.

Edit:
I will admit it seems fun/immersive. I just don't believe it will be.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 05:41:41 AM by Tarami »

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 05:08:24 AM

swamp poop

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

I do like that the prisoners will be visible so you can point and laugh at them.
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 05:22:08 AM

Sounds interesting on paper, anyways.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 05:27:00 AM

It would probably cause more people to do griefing just so that they can go in there and see what it's like.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 06:29:38 AM

It would probably cause more people to do griefing just so that they can go in there and see what it's like.

At first yeah. Then the raiders would inhabit the area because its the only place where quests have "challenge".

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 06:44:36 AM

Red Monika Wrote:

The prison time is meant to be actively unpleasant. You can't just wait it out. You must perform menial, boring tasks such as "take this stick and kill 300 rats" or "carry this stone to the other side of the yard, pick up a stone on that side and carry it back, do this 300 times", etc.
It's interesting how they would use standard MMO quests as "actively unpleasant" means of punishment.  Ohhhhh, I see.
Wershlak
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 07:21:28 AM

Great so we can have reverse greifing?

Pretty much everything in this game is AOE. It would be hard not to kill someone if they ran into an area where a group was killing. People will have lower level alts to run into raid zones and get rival guild groups all put in prison.

It's so easy to avoid people in AOC, there are different instances of every zone and you can change instantly. I don't see the need to add on another exploitable system that is even more stupid.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 07:48:33 AM

AOC already has its fair share of shitty quests. Sure the writing is better but it's still "go kill ten X, go collect 30 Y, oh and remember that boss you saw while killing X? you probably alrady killed him but I need you to go back after killing X to kill the boss....again"

I will say though that this prison system is/will be rife for exploitation on both sides. First thing that came to mind is if a group wants to greif someone just make sure each player only get the killing blow twice. You could still kill the same guy 12 or more times before an penalties.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 08:00:32 AM

I think it sounds like an awesome system. Who cares if it doesn't actually deter griefing. Public decapitations would be sweet. The AOC PVP is meaningless already so it's pretty impossible to actually be griefed.
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: May 28, 2008, 08:10:23 AM

I really want to see how this system would play out. So far, it's all theory.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #13 on: May 28, 2008, 08:33:08 AM

It's so damn stupid I can't even laugh at it.

I can hear the hardcore pvpers grousing about it right alongside the griefers already.  Not to mention the easy exploitability Lakov and Wershlak already pointed out, and that was without even thinking hard.

swamp poop

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #14 on: May 28, 2008, 09:08:37 AM

I can hear the hardcore pvpers grousing about it right alongside the griefers already.

That's what makes it win. 

If they put this in more or less as described I will be hard pressed not to pick this game up.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #15 on: May 28, 2008, 09:11:27 AM

Prisoners shouldn't have any way to fight back or leave, but anyone should be able to sneak in and kill them over and over again.

"Me am play gods"
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: May 28, 2008, 09:12:29 AM

I love how "final" they claim this system is when it's got so many unknowns.

Oh, and how's that farming thing going? Unless they've poached the Eve Economics guy, there's going to be nobody serving prison time for the collective wealth the most likely greifers who stick around will have down the road.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: Prison system on pvp servers  
Jump to: