Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:26:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: AoC and Hardware specs 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: AoC and Hardware specs  (Read 20081 times)
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

on: May 24, 2008, 03:01:58 PM

Anyone running this on a....lower-end PC? I'd really like to give this a shot, but well...my PC, gods bless her, is almost 6 years old now. I've sorta heard of people being able to run it alright if you crank the settings down. Just wondering how people here are faring.

Worst that happens is that I give the 360 version a shot.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Nerf
Terracotta Army

The Presence of Your Vehicle Has Been Documented

Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 03:29:53 PM

My brother is playing on Pentium D 2.8ghz processor with an 8600GT and runs a solid 30FPS on low.
It still looks pretty great on low.

I'm running an E6750 Core2duo, 8800GT 512mb G92 (overclocked to 702mhz), 4Gb corsair dominator, and 2 256Gb harddrives in a striped raid array.
Runs 50-80FPS with everything maxed and 2x AA.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 03:32:19 PM

Don't even fucking try. Go away.
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 03:37:42 PM

I'm running an AMD 64 3200, 2gb ram, 256mb 7800GT PCIe. I think it was about 2.5 years ago since I last upgraded. I hit the low quality settings and get about 20-25fps consistently. Haven't messed with any individual settings yet to see if I can squeeze out some more performance. I've been crashing all day today for some reason though.

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 04:48:06 PM

Just found out that my desktop pc won't even run the intro.

But my laptop runs it just fine. The login screen does not lag at all.  awesome, for real

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 07:36:21 PM

Core 2 duo 6750, 8800gts 320mb, 4gig (3.4 available to xp pro), 1333mhz fsb. I went for medium settings and got 35-40, I turned on high textures and AA 2x and still the same 35-40 (and looked insanely better). I'm not sure what's going on, but it seems like you can turn up a lot here without really impacting performance.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 01:26:22 AM

I'm playing on a dual core AMD X2 3800, a 7600GT (256M) and only 1 gig of RAM.

Load times are horrible (that's also because I'm using an archaic 120gig IDE HD.. yeah yeah I should upgrade), but the game itself is fairly playable, 20-30 fps at the absolute minimum settings.

2 gigs of RAM is pretty much required if you want to avoid random stuttering / bursty graphic lag, imo.

-- Z.

dannyBstyle
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 02:26:33 AM

So here's my spin on this business.

Pentium D 820 (2.8 GHz X 2), on Intel mobo
2 gigs pc5400 DDR2
GeForce 8600GTS
Win XP Pro
400 GB Maxtor HD 7200 RPM

I was running the game on 1680X1050 for my 42 levels with my DT. When I made my demo I decided to fiddle some more, and here's what I found out.

First thing I did was move my page file to a seperate HD, to optimize HD file access.

then, I looked over this post in the AOC forums - http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=13390

With a combo of heavy reading and following some tips from the pros, these are the specs I came up with -

http://www.dbsoundworks.com/aoclol/specs1.JPG
http://www.dbsoundworks.com/aoclol/specs2.JPG
http://www.dbsoundworks.com/aoclol/specs3.JPG

Now, I'm going to link some screenshots, and you'll see the FPS in the top left. They are very low, from 8 fps up to high teens. Given, this is in tortage, so silky smooth isn't absolutely necessary. And the main point is that even though the FPS is slow, it's smooth. There are occasional hitches, and the loading takes longer, but overall it stays very steady. and it looks gorgeous.

Now I could certainly lower the settings if need be, but in dungeons I get a typically sustained 20+ FPS.

http://www.dbsoundworks.com/aoclol/screen1.png
http://www.dbsoundworks.com/aoclol/screen2.png
http://www.dbsoundworks.com/aoclol/screen3.png
http://www.dbsoundworks.com/aoclol/screen4.png
http://www.dbsoundworks.com/aoclol/screen5.png

AoC seems to have very odd ways of rendering things, in that some detail settings don't seem to impact performance and some even seem to improve performance, such as render distance.

It seems that if you increase draw distance, you get more hitching immediately following the load, and a longer load as well, but moving around seems smoother. The number one thing I'd recommend to people having major performance issues, is reducing resolution. I have had better FPS than when I was at 1680X1050, and virtually bottomed-out settings.

MAH NAME IS DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNY B

microwaveyourbaby.com
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 06:54:20 AM

Your System memory texture cache size is set to zero (a stupid default setting). Bring it up to max and I'm betting you'll see a decent increase in FPS.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 10:37:39 AM

One of my roomates has this running on my old PC, which is:

-1.5Gb of ram
-P4 3.2 Ghz with HyperThreading
-X850 AGP, not sure if it's 128 or 256
-The fucking shitty shitty HD that comes out of the PS3

And it runs smooth as hell.

Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: May 26, 2008, 11:41:31 AM

I can't get it to run properly on any setting on a 3.2 Ghz E6800 with 4 GB of RAM and a 7800GTX. It works okayish on occasion (30-40 FPS), but it's nowhere smooth as a general rule.

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #11 on: May 26, 2008, 01:50:29 PM

Pentium D 3Ghz (dual core)
2 gigs ram
8800GT 625Mhz 512MB

Runs worse than Crysis on settings that are a notch below "fucking ugly".  Character models still look good (IMO), but everything else looks terrible. 

50+ FPS in indoor instances, which is just fine.  20-40 in outdoor (more in Tortage) with noticeable stuttering.  Sometimes I'll get a nice second or two of the game choking on its own vomit while it struggles to load something.  I can live with 20-40FPS but the stuttering and settings I have to invoke to make it so are not tolerable.

A lot of this seems to be luck of the draw.  People with better computers than mine are having much worse problems, while people with worse are having no issues at all. 

-Rasix
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #12 on: May 26, 2008, 01:52:11 PM

People with better computers than mine are having much worse problems, while people with worse are having no issues at all. 

Exactly. I upgraded my computer 2 days ago and NOW I am having much worse performance. I am so happy.

dannyBstyle
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: May 26, 2008, 06:05:21 PM

Your System memory texture cache size is set to zero (a stupid default setting). Bring it up to max and I'm betting you'll see a decent increase in FPS.

Did that, reduced performance across the board. That setting is designed for laptops that have ram that is faster than their video card ram, specifically integrated video. You're basically bringing the ram speed to the lowest common denominator on any system with a non-integrated video solution. But given how AoC loves to randomize performance based on configuration, I'd imagine it helps on some configs.

I decided to let 4X AA go, since this game looks great even without AA, I've been getting stable 20-30+ FPS in all areas, indoor, outdoor, anything. It's a happy day.

MAH NAME IS DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNY B

microwaveyourbaby.com
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #14 on: May 26, 2008, 06:18:06 PM

It really pisses me off that I have a more up-to-date machine than some of you -- except for the bum, non-upgradeable vid card. And so I can't run it.
schild
Administrator

Reply #15 on: May 26, 2008, 07:37:36 PM

It really pisses me off that I have a more up-to-date machine than some of you -- except for the bum, non-upgradeable vid card. And so I can't run it.

No, get it straight, it pisses you off that you were silly enough to buy a fucking mac after knowing for a decade that you can't upgrade dick.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #16 on: May 26, 2008, 08:05:15 PM

Did that, reduced performance across the board. That setting is designed for laptops that have ram that is faster than their video card ram, specifically integrated video. You're basically bringing the ram speed to the lowest common denominator on any system with a non-integrated video solution. But given how AoC loves to randomize performance based on configuration, I'd imagine it helps on some configs.

It seems to have helped quite a few people, myself included, and my system isn't that much of a slouch. 8800gt w/512 ram, 4 gig DDR2 and a C2D 6750. I'm not saying you're wrong. In fact, a bit of research shows that your definition is quite accurate as to what system texture cache is commonly used for.

That said, this is funcom, and a visit to their boards will find posts with pages and pages argueing about this very issue, and it seems clear that somewhere somehow hardware isn't responding as expected, and a 'quick fix' is to allocate ram to handle a graphics cache, since for some reason or another, higher end video cards are getting clogged with textures. It seems reasonable, although I'm no expert, that allowing ram to take on some of the load might help out some systems.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #17 on: May 26, 2008, 08:10:12 PM

No, get it straight, it pisses you off that you were silly enough to buy a fucking mac after knowing for a decade that you can't upgrade dick.

I still like it.

I was about to get a new pc though... But the way everyone's talking the past couple of days, I think that I really am better off just waiting for the 360 version. People are having problems with roughly the same hardware I was looking into buying. Fuck this shit. I don't need to be more pissed than I already am.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 08:13:21 PM by Stray »
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: May 26, 2008, 09:52:05 PM

...waiting for the 360 version.

Dead Man Walking.

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

I can tell more than 1 fucktard at a time to stfu, have no fears. - WayAbvPar

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #19 on: May 27, 2008, 12:03:33 AM

Is it? Why? I thought Microsoft was giving them a lot of support for that. I haven't read anything else.

Hell, I'd go so far to say that if it wasn't for the planned 360 version, then they probably would have slimmed the requirements if it had been PC only. At least, I can't think of a better reason for why they did something so stupid.
schild
Administrator

Reply #20 on: May 27, 2008, 12:24:14 AM

What? You mean why they made it multiprocessor friendly and made it look like Hyboria? Yea, I can't see a reason either. It should've looked like WoW. I want 4 polygon arms. Fuck that.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #21 on: May 27, 2008, 06:34:54 AM

Not sure what multiprocessing has done to aid this game to look like Hyboria. I don't see any good ai, physics, or complex animations here. In fact, it's pretty boneheaded on all of those fronts (it's an mmo though, so that's a given). It's just gpu intensive, not cpu intensive -- and not very well optimized with that even. Besides, if the cpu was so important, then some people here who are running smoothly with single core Pentium 4's wouldn't be.

I didn't say anything about wanting 4 polygon arms.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: May 27, 2008, 06:44:07 AM

I don't see any good ai, physics, or complex animations here.

I do.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: May 27, 2008, 06:56:31 AM

30+ FPS in Tortage.  1680x1050, Max settings, huge draw draw distance, 16xAnisotropic filtering, Bloom enabled, etc...

Just put this together this weekend, less than a grand at newegg, E8400, 4 gigs DDR2 800, 8800 GTS 512 MB, 7200 RPM drive, Vista.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: May 27, 2008, 07:21:31 AM

Is it? Why? I thought Microsoft was giving them a lot of support for that. I haven't read anything else.

Hell, I'd go so far to say that if it wasn't for the planned 360 version, then they probably would have slimmed the requirements if it had been PC only. At least, I can't think of a better reason for why they did something so stupid.

I think the reason for the high requirements is more market differentiation than anything else. The 'M' rating, high graphic quality, and Xbox 360 distribution make it obvious that Funcom is trying to use the old baseball strategy of "hit 'em where they ain't" - in other words, do stuff that Blizzard isnt doing.

That being said, I have a hard time believing that the same company that turned out an MMO that is still a good 3-4 months and tens of thousands of man-hours away from being feature complete has the resources to finish the initial version of the game, finish the console version of the game (which hasn't been done before for an AAA MMO), and successfully integrate the two (which also hasn't been done before), by August.

If the Xbox version does release in August my guess is it would have Tortage and that would be it.

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #25 on: May 27, 2008, 07:27:48 AM

I do.

Can you give me some examples? Are the tits bouncing in your version of the game or something?
schild
Administrator

Reply #26 on: May 27, 2008, 07:28:27 AM

FFXI was a AAA MMO and it's been on 2 consoles with expansions and the PC.

The 360 version isn't due out in August. Anyone with that date hasn't noticed that it was pushed back until at least November. Though I doubt it'll drop until January or February.

Can you give me some examples? Are the tits bouncing in your version of the game or something?

Funny that you mention that - I noticed they do last night.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #27 on: May 27, 2008, 07:32:23 AM

this guy looks legit

I guess my shitty gpu is preventing me from noticing such luxuries.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: May 27, 2008, 07:34:43 AM

I do.

Physics isn't just ridged objects. It also applies to particle affects as well. I don't know why people say the animations are sub-par, they are really, REALLY well done, including some of the spell animations. Only reason i can think of is on lower settings they are getting depreciated. The AI is also very well done. Including the AI interacting with the environment, and how they interact in combat, once you get into higher levels this becomes more apparent, as its becomes less about the opponents level and more about how they act/react in combat.

The 360 version isn't due out in August. Anyone with that date hasn't noticed that it was pushed back until at least November. Though I doubt it'll drop until January or February.

Jorgen Tharaldsen on Age of Conan for XBox360(2:14)

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: May 27, 2008, 07:41:12 AM

Funny that you mention that - I noticed they do last night.

FFXI was a AAA MMO?  DRILLING AND MANLINESS Ok I forgot about that one.

And yes the titties on my HoX bounce.

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #30 on: May 27, 2008, 07:47:17 AM

30+ FPS in Tortage.  1680x1050, Max settings, huge draw draw distance, 16xAnisotropic filtering, Bloom enabled, etc...

Just put this together this weekend, less than a grand at newegg, E8400, 4 gigs DDR2 800, 8800 GTS 512 MB, 7200 RPM drive, Vista.

I get 30-40fps in Tortage on Medium at 1280x1024 w/ E6850, 2GB 2700 DDR, 8600GT, 7200rpm, XP. I think an 8800 is in my future.

I have never played WoW.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #31 on: May 27, 2008, 10:30:01 AM

schild walked me through setting my graphics setting in game to as he put it "find the sweetspot" for the 8800GT. DannyB helped with some additional adjustments.  Result was a better looking game and lower general FPS. but a smoother overall performance.  The gist of the tweaks seemed to be finding how much I could get my 8800GT to load before I encountered it and thus minimize the constant texture loading.

I can live with 18-25 FPS in hoggish zones like Khopesh and long as the stuttering is reduced to a minimum.  Tortage earlier today was a solid 35-40 FPS with only one hitch I saw the entire time.   

The biggest problems still seems to be NPCs that are obstructed by view and then pop in when you round a corner. 

Happy with the performance and look now, but I don't consider the amount of assistance I need to get here to be acceptable for any game.

-Rasix
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: May 27, 2008, 11:26:40 AM

I just noticed bouncing breasts when playing earlier today for the first time.  I am 99% sure that would have noticed that before today, had it been happening.

I also noticed getting higher level/more diverse loot dropping in the upper levels of Tortage last night/today, which leads me to believe that they either aren't talking about all the changes they are making with patches, or they don't have to patch to change loot tables (look up/server-side changes only, and they have some dynamic way of flushing cached loot tables - or they just let the ttl expire).  Game seems to be changing pretty steadily (I'm not saying that there isn't a ton that's borked, I'm just saying they do seem to be plugging away).  Course, I could have just been extremely unlucky with loot prior to that point.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #33 on: May 27, 2008, 12:11:15 PM

Odd. My breasts are pretty much still stiff. Maybe because I didn't shove the slider to maximum boobage?

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #34 on: May 27, 2008, 12:27:53 PM

What about the aureole slider?

I have never played WoW.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: AoC and Hardware specs  
Jump to: