Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:19:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: Friday Patch -- Back to unplayable 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Friday Patch -- Back to unplayable  (Read 8229 times)
Numtini
Terracotta Army

on: May 23, 2008, 08:13:13 AM

Well, the other night I was insanely impressed with the performance gains from the open beta. This morning I patched and got in and in the last hour I've had to restart the client three times, twice for crushing lag, and once for graphic glitching (that or someone slipped my character acid).

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 08:24:00 AM

Strangely, my settings were on default and not on the low and fiddly bits I had done before.  I had to put it on low, readjust the sliders, turn off grass and shadows, but my controls were as I left them.  I also noticed the lag and sharp decreases in fps even after I changed my settings.  Although, my fps does return to normal (40 - 55 mostly) it will suddenly drop, especially when stuff is going on around me, and then return.  It does it a lot, even in night mode.  I have also experienced several freezes, especially today.  It makes me nervous about what my performance will be like during a siege.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 08:40:07 AM

The reverse-miracle patch!

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 08:44:23 AM

It makes me wonder if there was some critical maintenance code enabled during beta that provided server-side stability but hosed client performance that they removed for launch, and now that the game's out the door, they're putting it back in.  Tinfoil Hat

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 08:56:29 AM

YOu mean stuck on an unsustainable performance boost for the first week to cynically get tons of initial audiance reaction and sales and then sneak it back to tolerable once that has passed? Damn your cynical about game developers.

Hic sunt dracones.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 01:00:07 PM

I really haven't noticed any difference. Tiny bit more chop around Tortage, but that could just be coincidental.

-Rasix
Moaner
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 01:50:45 PM

I hope they get this stupid client optimized soon.  I dip into the 20s in some areas and it drives me nuts.

I love the game so far (level 22) but it's bringing my 8800gtx to it's knees which is very frustraiting.  It's times like this I wish I wasn't so picky about how many frames per second I'm getting.

EDIT:  Just being able to turn off the grass would rock.  The little check box doesn't seem to work and setting shaders to 2.0 causes my computer to crash.

PSN: Happy_Hedonist, SteamID: Happy Hedonist
schild
Administrator

Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 02:03:12 PM

My performance increased after the patch today.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #8 on: May 23, 2008, 02:14:35 PM

Aha, so my conspiracy theory is gaining evidence. Key figures in the gaming critique community get the ultra miracle patch, while the hoi poloi suffer at the hands of their new Norwegian Masters.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: May 23, 2008, 02:35:19 PM

Aha, so my conspiracy theory is gaining evidence. Key figures in the gaming critique community get the ultra miracle patch, while the hoi poloi suffer at the hands of their new Norwegian Masters.

Shild a Key Figure in the community? God help us all.  awesome, for real

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #10 on: May 23, 2008, 04:32:53 PM

It makes me wonder if there was some critical maintenance code enabled during beta that provided server-side stability but hosed client performance that they removed for launch, and now that the game's out the door, they're putting it back in.  Tinfoil Hat
I'd suspect it has more to do with their gfx shader code/caching -- perhaps something was changed that invalidated the shader cache content, and so the game is doing its normal "freeze while i make shader for something new you saw" routine every few steps, that'll keep you hitching until the most common stuff gets rebuilt?
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #11 on: May 23, 2008, 04:44:25 PM

yes, that's far more likely, but not near as fun as making schild out to be an establishment figurehead  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Moaner
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: May 23, 2008, 05:29:07 PM

I went from running mostly 45-60fps with occasional drops in the 20s (mostly in cities), to running constantly in the 20s after today's patch.  It’s playable, but watching my 6 month old computer hiccup and chug on low settings has pissed me off tonight.  This is with current drivers, a fresh and updated windows xp install, and a every tweak I could think of.

I’m going to finish The World Ends with You and GTA4 while they attempt to sort this shit out.  I will be back though because I love the game, I just hate the client.

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #13 on: May 23, 2008, 09:51:09 PM

My system is running better now.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: May 24, 2008, 05:18:04 AM

After a day of playing on and off since the patch, what it seems to be is that once any 3d game runs, I need to reboot in order to get Conan at any sort of decent framerates. That could be EQ2 or COX, but it also applies to Conan. If I log out, I need to reboot. Even at that, I have had one bluescreen and a few other issues and my record on playtime is around 70 minutes.

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #15 on: May 24, 2008, 08:05:04 AM

One thing that I noticed is that my texture cache was slid down to zero when I logged into yesterday. It even reset to zero any time I selected a default performance profile, like 'low', 'medium' or 'high'. Sliding this cache up to max did absolute wonders for my system's performance. No hitching, and more importantly, the graphic's card fan didn't go into overdrive trying to cool itself. YMMV

Moaner
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: May 24, 2008, 10:34:03 AM

I set the "view quality distance" or whatever it's called to 99% and my framerate jumped up to 40-60 again.  I'll try the texture cache next.  Weeeee!

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #17 on: May 24, 2008, 11:07:25 AM

One thing that I noticed is that my texture cache was slid down to zero when I logged into yesterday. It even reset to zero any time I selected a default performance profile, like 'low', 'medium' or 'high'. Sliding this cache up to max did absolute wonders for my system's performance. No hitching, and more importantly, the graphic's card fan didn't go into overdrive trying to cool itself. YMMV

This raised my fps significantly in daytime and in towns and doubled it in dungeons and at night.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: May 24, 2008, 12:23:02 PM

I got about another 10 fps off of it, thank you!

And since I figured out I had to reboot if I played COX or EQ2, it seems pretty stable.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 12:26:58 PM by Numtini »

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: May 24, 2008, 12:32:24 PM

It smurfs up any 3d game you play after it as well.

Hic sunt dracones.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: Friday Patch -- Back to unplayable  
Jump to: