Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:00:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: Bat Country, The Purple Lotus Swamp, & The Surrounding Areas. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bat Country, The Purple Lotus Swamp, & The Surrounding Areas.  (Read 18033 times)
schild
Administrator

on: May 21, 2008, 10:18:09 PM

I'll fill this out more as I explore more. Making a ranger for survival to do just that. Her name will be Kite. That said, here is the Purple Lotus Swamp, Instance 1, with the location of our city about about 60-70% of the resources found there.

Things to know:

0. Important Guild Information will obviously be on the MOTD in the guild.

1. Enemies +/- 1 level of you will attack when you are gathering resources. You know those "Someone interrupted you while gathering" messages that popped up. Yea, here they mean business. Sometimes it's a single mob of the same level (jealous prospector, etc) and sometimes it's a mob plus a few minions.

2. Bat Country will need at least 3 miners. Or as many as necessary. Since gems and shit are drops, I don't imagine we'll need more than one gemcutter. But as you can see from the map.

3. The location is good. Mountain on one side, swamp on other 3 sides. The mountain protects the back of the keep/village area.

4. At 25 Around 20, pick up all of the gathering professions. At 40, you can pick "up to?" (verification?) 2 other advanced professions. I'm doing architect. We really don't need another one.

I was going to password these, but it's only a matter of time before everything is mapped out. So, here it is. Apologies for it's hugeness.

Copy the following xml (embedded in the attached RAR) to here:
x:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Funcom\Conan\Prefs\charactername\Waypoints
This should work and is only for Purple Lotus Swamp
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 03:48:17 PM by schild »
Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 12:52:33 AM

Good work

I think a share map markers function within a guild or some kind of guild resource tracker would be a very good thing for funcom to add.
ShenMolo
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 02:09:19 AM

Things to know:

1. Level 39-41s will attack you when you are gathering resources. You know those "Someone interrupted you while gathering" messages that popped up. Yea, here they mean business.

I was gathering nodes in Purple Lotus Swamp at 22. The mobs that spawned on me (which schild references above) were around my level, so it scales with your level. There can be multiples, and even mini bosses, but nothing you can't handle. I believe you can start the gathering quests at 20, I started them at 22.

I would even recommend you start them at 20, because you will find resource nodes all over the 20+ adventure zones, and you can't harvest them until you start the gathering quests.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 02:10:50 AM by ShenMolo »
schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 02:11:40 AM

Updated.
Kirth
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 03:52:21 AM

Where do you pick up gathering and how do you get to purple lotus swamp?
ShenMolo
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 05:12:53 AM

For both questions:

1. Leave Tortage and travel to your home city.

2. Look around for a npc to send you to Khemi in Stygia (in Old Tarantia this is at the docks).

3. From Khemi, find the npc to send you to Khopshef province, again at the docks.

4. Once in Khopshef make your way to the far southwest corner of the map, to a npc that will send you to Purple Lotus, he is on your map. You can also go straight to our guild city from this npc.

5. There is a npc village in Purple Lotus Swamp with the various gathering trainers who will give you the starter quests.
Kirth
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 05:15:57 AM

For both questions:

2. Look around for a npc to send you to Khemi in Stygia (in Old Tarantia this is at the docks).

3. From Khemi, find the npc to send you to Khopshef province, again at the docks.

4. Once in Khopshef make your way to the far southwest corner of the map, to a npc that will send you to Purple Lotus, he is on your map. You can also go straight to our guild city from this npc.

5. There is a npc village in Purple Lotus Swamp with the various gathering trainers who will give you the starter quests.

Can't I just get a no stop over one way ticket  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

ShenMolo
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 05:35:03 AM

For both questions:

Can't I just get a no stop over one way ticket  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

You can also train and gather in Poitain in Aquilonian lands, or Lachiesh Plains (sp) in Cimmerian lands.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #8 on: May 22, 2008, 06:02:33 AM

Gathering in Purple Lotus without waypoints is quite annoying because the grass and trees hide everything, it's also dark.  You should set waypoints as soon as you can.  You also get random spawns on you as you travel around once in a while, just run away as they don't chase you anywhere near as long as in normal zones.  Quite often the mobs that spawn on you in either way will drop resource loot though, at level twenty I was getting higher level resources than I could harvest.

Leather is a drop, you don't actually skin the animals and can't do anything with their corpses.  You should at least get skinning because animals in the adventure zones will drop leather for you.

Each gathering quest starts with a "gather twenty" of the lowest tier items.  Once done you can turn them in and get a quest to go back to the same nodes for a rare.  The rare is quite rare, you can easily harvest hundreds of something with no luck.  Apparently you just need to do the turn in though so if you get two ruby silver you could trade one with someone who has an extra ebon ash and go to the trainer, I haven't confirmed that though.  After that turn in you can harvest the next tier of resources and do it all over again but you have to be level 50.

As far as I can tell you can turn-in the gathering quests in any of the resource zones, you don't have to go back to the same npc you got the quest from although different npcs won't have question marks.  The rare turn-ins didn't have question marks even from the people I got the quest from.

The current rumour for the city is that you need the following for the first main keep part.  I don't know where they got this info and personally doubt its accuracy.  You also need upwards of two gold for the recipies.
100 Ash
150 Silver
50 Copper
200 Sandstone

Each of those might be refined construction units which take ten raw material though so times it by ten.

Once built your city will occasionally be raided by PvE mobs although I doubt they have that implemented.

Edit: Updated level.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 06:28:41 AM by Miasma »
ShenMolo
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: May 22, 2008, 06:07:22 AM

After that turn in you can harvest the next tier of resources and do it all over again but you have to be a certain level, I don't know if it's thirty or forty.

As far as I can tell you can turn-in the gathering quests in any of the resource zones, you don't have to go back to the same npc you got the quest from although different npcs won't have question marks.  The rare turn-ins didn't have question marks even from the people I got the quest from.

It's not 30, I could turn in the rares but not yet get the next quest at 32. My guess is 40.

Also, I turned in the 20 leather, and got a quest for Burnished leather, which I already had 14 of, but the quest did not recognize the ones already in my inventory. I am hoping that zoning may update the quest, or re-logging., But I may just have to get one to drop while i have the quest for it to register...or perhaps trade with someone.
Abelian75
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: May 22, 2008, 07:21:59 AM

Hopefully they get the damn trader re-enabled soon so we can actually, like, donate materials.  And schild can ride an elephant.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #11 on: May 22, 2008, 07:22:20 AM

I was gathering cotton in pls (There's a direct way? I ran across the desert getting scared by huge Mantises!) when a lvl 28 miniboss spawned. So I'm not sure it's scaled to level.
Kirth
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: May 22, 2008, 07:27:27 AM

I got jumped by a 10+ pack if lvl 28-31 villagers while trying to get some stone, and yes I had to jack my gamma up a bit in the swamp cause its dark as shit.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #13 on: May 22, 2008, 07:31:02 AM

I was gathering cotton in pls (There's a direct way? I ran across the desert getting scared by huge Mantises!) when a lvl 28 miniboss spawned. So I'm not sure it's scaled to level.
It's definitely scaled to level but if a level 40 were to get aggro and run away those mobs will stick around for a while and if you bump into them they will aggro.

I got jumped by a 10+ pack if lvl 28-31 villagers while trying to get some stone, and yes I had to jack my gamma up a bit in the swamp cause its dark as shit.
The system is far from perfect, since the spawns are random if you get unlucky you could easily trigger a gather spawn, move a bit and trigger a walking spawn and be in deep trouble.

Also remember that when a large group spawns most of them will be [minion]s which are trivial to kill.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: May 22, 2008, 07:49:41 AM

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
schild
Administrator

Reply #15 on: May 22, 2008, 10:09:09 AM

Yea, when I'm gathering, I jack my gamma up to 2.1. It's a 2 second solution.
schild
Administrator

Reply #16 on: May 22, 2008, 03:48:30 PM

Attached waypoint update for your client with instructions.
schild
Administrator

Reply #17 on: May 22, 2008, 11:52:35 PM

Will players be able to build cities in Age of Conan?

Yes, there is a complete system in place for allowing guilds to build entire cities, and there will be both PvP cites (or battlekeeps as well call them) and cities found in areas where you can not PvP. Once a guild is rich and powerful enough, it will be able to purchase a piece of land and start building a settlement. The process will, of course, take anywhere from days to weeks and months, and all the members of the guild will have to work together to reach this goal. If you would like more information on PvP cities please check out the PvP and siege section of the FAQ.

Can other players attack our city?

No, rivaling player guilds can not attack your city in the PvE regions. We came to the conclusion that it would not always be entertaining to have your city attacked by other guilds when you've spent such a long time building it up. Instead, computer-controlled enemies will be more than happy to invade your settlement. Once you start building your own player city, computer-controlled characters will start making a city not far from yours. You will see their structures appearing over the course of days and weeks, and once they've made the barracks they will start producing soldiers which they can then use to launch an attack on your player city.

[edit] How often will these computer-controlled enemies attack?

The computer-controlled enemy city will attack at specific intervals – not all the time, so you won't have to constantly be on guard. However, you would be wise in attacking them first, keeping the development of their city down, or else they will eventually grow into a powerful adversary who can attack and destroy your city using not only their men alone, but also catapults and trebuchets.

So my guild can't own anything that other players can attack?

Separate from the areas of city building, you will find the Border Kingdoms. In these lands your guild will be able to construct and maintain a battlekeep that can be attacked by rivaling guilds. It is possible to own both a battlekeep and a player-made city.

[edit] What benefits are there from owning a player city?

Besides the obvious statement it makes – a player city being perhaps one of the ultimate symbols of status and success – you will also be able to build structures that are beneficial for everyone in your guild. This is a place where your people can come together and carry out the business needed, and the facilities of a player city can come quite in handy for a traveling adventurer. You can also open shops and man them with computer-controlled vendors, and other players – even those outside your guild – will be able to visit these shops and trade there. So your city can become the ultimate hot spot for trading in the region, if that is what you want. It’s all up to you and your imagination.

Ok, now I'm confused. I'm trying to figure out the benefits of having a guild city and then another battlekeep. Basically, I don't understand and have asked someone for clarification. While fascinating and fun sounding, this is not PVP, it seems more like MMOG Missle Command. >_<

PVP

Using the village building technology, guilds can find a sponsor and build their own castle in a Border Kingdom instance. This will have to be defended against other guilds. You must destroy enemy walls, towers, and defenders before razing their keeps and castles to the ground. The ones holding areas in Border Kingdoms will gain bonuses to their guild. Let the best Siege engines win!

The buildings and keeps destroyed in PVP will be permanently gone, but you can of course rebuild when the heat of battle has calmed down.

City building locations are pre planned in the world and have different advantages. Some might have better access to resources while others will be in better tactical position and the like. So no one spot should be better than another more so it depends on what it offers in comparison to what you want.

If you are in a Guild that isn't large enough to build and support your own Battle keep, there will be smaller pre-built towers that you can capture and hold, while not attaining the full benefits of a large Battle Keep, the smaller guilds still get some bonuses.

Atzel's Approach lies within the Border Kingdoms.

Really, the entire system is just obscure to me. So, we have to make TWO CITIES? I mean, we probably have enough people, but what a fucking pain in the ass.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 11:55:30 PM by schild »
schild
Administrator

Reply #18 on: May 22, 2008, 11:57:32 PM

Some more:

What are battlekeeps?

Battlekeeps are structures that players can build and maintain in the Border Kingdoms. Throughout the Border Kingdom there is a limited amount of areas where battlekeeps can be built, there's space for nine keeps per server. Because of the limited amount of space, other guilds will most surely come and try to take it away from you or even destroy it completely through the use of siege engines such as catapults. By using collected resources such as iron, stone and wood, players can build upon these battlekeeps, constructing walls and even stables to house the cavalry. It is also possible to add computer-controlled guards to these.

[edit] What are the benefits to maintaining a battlekeep?

If a guild has found or captured a battlekeep site, it will be able to start constructing buildings there. Each building within your battlekeep will grant a bonus that will affect some or all members of your guild. Buildings include the blacksmith, the temple, the alchemist workshop, the university and more. While the temple may benefit healing classes within your guild, the university might provide a bonus for all spell casting classes and your guild will need to prioritize what to build.

[edit] But won’t only the large guilds have the manpower to own battlekeeps?

Building, maintaining and defending a battlekeep do take a lot of resources and manpower, and it is not something every guild have the capacity to do. However, spread over the Border Kingdom you will find something we call towers which functions almost like mini-keeps that can be captured and held much easier by smaller guilds. These do not give the same benefits as the battlekeeps, but there will definitively be a rewarding venture to take control over these structures as well.

[edit] How can another guild capture your battlekeep or tower?

We realize standing on guard twenty-four hours a day is no fun, so there will be specific periods when a battlekeep is open for attacks. An attacking guild will have to construct a war tent outside your battlekeep and you and your guild will have a limited amount of time to muster your forces and prepare your defense. The attacking guild will then have to bring down your structure by any means possible, both attacking with swords, horses, bows and axes, but also with siege engines.

Blurgh. Some of this sounds grindy. probably best to just worry about the PvE city since I don't even know what other big guilds are on Zug and am not sure if NeoGAF is even organized enough to be a threat there.
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: May 23, 2008, 12:48:03 AM

Reading about this game is giving me blue balls.

I like that those outside of a guild can trade at a guild city's market. Nothing like building something cool and then having others spinting through to check out what's what on a daily basis. The Battlekeep system sounds hellish for officers, but awesome for lazyboys who only have to show up and chop off heads before ogling well rendered tah-tas. Specialized buildings (universities, temples)  which grant certain advantages to different classes sounds like it adds extra depth as well.

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
ShenMolo
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: May 23, 2008, 02:12:07 AM

Can we just skip the PVE city and go straight to owning a Battlekeep?
schild
Administrator

Reply #21 on: May 23, 2008, 02:20:05 AM

I don't think so, also, for crafters and economist types, the PvE city is incredibly useful. It seems worthwhile to just bite the bullet and do both.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: May 23, 2008, 08:45:48 AM

The PvE city is good because it will give us (ha!  I'm talking like I'm playing now) a solid base city to gather resources and store loot.  When we have enough supplies we can worry about taking a PvP city, which by its nature, will eventually be taken from us.  We can then regroup out our PvE city then take another city when we're ready.

It also gives the members not interested in PvP a way to contribute to the effort by stockpiling resources and making sure the PvE city stays safe from the NPC hordes that will attak it.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #23 on: May 23, 2008, 04:14:00 PM

Schild's file was great so I added the waypoints I have for the other two resource areas and some more nodes I found in Purple Lotus.  I doubt they are complete but it will help out.

They should be in this zip.  But I have never used that service for file storage before.  Some of the waypoints in Potain are a bit off centre because I didn't realize you should make the waypoint in the middle of your arrow instead of the tip...
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: June 01, 2008, 03:53:32 PM

Im not finding that location in my install for that XML.  huh sad

EDIT: Found it... didnt work for me however.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 05:59:31 PM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #25 on: June 02, 2008, 05:53:26 AM

I'm not sure why it wouldn't work, it has worked for others.  I think I made an error at the start of the path, charactername should actually be your xp/vista user name.  At any rate this link here probably has better waypoints anyways.  They have been updated by an entire guild and people in the thread.

Edit: The folder is hidden too so you have to enable view hidden in your menu.  Here are the paths again.  You also need to put them in each character's folder in which you want to see them.

XP: C:\Documents and Settings\{Computer Name}\Local Settings\Application Settings\Funcom\Conan\Prefs\{User Name}\Waypoints\

Vista: C:\Users\[Computer Name}\AppData\Local\Funcom\Conan\{User Name}\Waypoints\
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 06:00:17 AM by Miasma »
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: June 04, 2008, 07:44:19 AM

yeah, i found where it goes, but nothing shows up on my map other than the ones i made. Does this ONLY work on that server?

schild
Administrator

Reply #27 on: June 04, 2008, 07:44:54 AM

That's possible. But not likely. Did it overwrite anything you have?
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: June 04, 2008, 11:46:28 AM

I'll post this here, too, since it's likely to be overlooked in the crafting thread:

I crashed while in the Swamp and ended up with a bxml file in my waypoints directory and have all the resource node icons showing in addition to my custom ones.  These extra nodes are not in the 3050.xml file.  I'd like a bxml to xml converter to see if it's possible to use the pretty waypoint icons for custom points.  (The nodes are all mapped, so it doesn't really add anything in that regard.)

I found one source package (cwxml), but I doubt I'll be able to get it to compile correctly.  I need pretty icons!  Does anyone know of a program that can do this conversion?

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: June 04, 2008, 12:24:34 PM

That's possible. But not likely. Did it overwrite anything you have?

To be honest, no, i don't think so, i had not yet gone to that zone, and my folder was surprisingly empty. I am not 100% sure about that over writing.

Tell ya what, ill try again.

EDIT: I had to look up BXML. Ill ask our XML guy for ya.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 12:34:06 PM by Mrbloodworth »

schild
Administrator

Reply #30 on: June 20, 2008, 12:23:33 AM

Just built 4 more buildings.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: Bat Country, The Purple Lotus Swamp, & The Surrounding Areas.  
Jump to: