Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 06:24:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: Guest Passes 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Guest Passes  (Read 24538 times)
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: May 21, 2008, 07:50:34 AM

They've said they are going to let the current population "settle in" before turning on the guest program so who knows when the keys will be made available.

ah crap I guess I may have to go buy it.  Feeling a bit dicey as my system is a mix of older stuff that has been heavily upgraded.  Anyone have some thoughts on playability with this set up:

pentium 4 2.8 (the weakest link)
1 gig of ram (I may get another gig if it made AoC magically playable)
primary drive 75gig WD raptor SATA
secondary 750gig barracuda SATA
Geforce 7800 AGP (pretty sure it's the 256mb version not at home to check)
Primary monitor - Dell 2407WFP
Secondary monitor - Dell 2005WFP
Win XP Pro.

Vangaurd early beta 3 was playable on this rig and was getting around 25-30 fps in most areas.

So what are the odds that AoC will be playable at 1920x1200 on this box?

Upgrading the mobo/cpu/ram and video card won't happen for at least another 6 months as I just don't have a spare $750+ laying around atm.

schild
Administrator

Reply #36 on: May 21, 2008, 07:55:18 AM

If you don't mind playing on the lowest settings....
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: May 21, 2008, 08:08:28 AM

Get more ram. At the very least.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: May 21, 2008, 08:36:32 AM

I've got a rig not far off from Salamok's I think. Athlon 64 3200, 2gb ram, 256mb 7800GT. Don't think I've tried to play a new PC game in more than 6 months.

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #39 on: May 21, 2008, 09:16:48 AM

You have EXACTLY what I had until I got this 8800 video card yesterday, Muffin.  I could run AoC okay, not great, and I had a bit of trouble sometimes when there was a lot of action around me.  In fact, I died a few times due to my character freezing.  I don't think I would have been able to take part in sieging with that card.  Who knows?  The new card might not be enough for a siege, either.  We'll see.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #40 on: May 21, 2008, 09:18:09 AM

Bleh. The Xbox version can't come soon enough. Fuck upgrading... I'm done with that madness.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #41 on: May 21, 2008, 09:23:51 AM

I don't like upgrading, either.  I get used to my stuff.  Plus, new computer = huge pain in the arse because then I have to do stuff.  I don't like to do stuff.  I wouldn't have got this card but Righ snuck it in.  He wants to put in other junk but I don't want it.  If I'm still playing this game, and the 360 motivates me, I'll switch over, too.  Maybe.  Doubtful I'll still be playing the same game for that many months though!

schild
Administrator

Reply #42 on: May 21, 2008, 09:28:36 AM

Bleh. The Xbox version can't come soon enough. Fuck upgrading... I'm done with that madness.

Don't be such an impatient yutz. Also, madness? Not really. Try finagling with the settings. Yutz.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #43 on: May 21, 2008, 09:38:18 AM

I have an imac. I have no settings to finagle.  swamp poop

PC gaming is madness though... Which is why I went back to apple and depend on consoles and handhelds for gaming now (didn't think there'd be a PC game I wanted up until this point though...so that's my fault).

Anywho, a working-out-of-the-box Xbox version playing on my pretty little tv would be quite nice indeed.
schild
Administrator

Reply #44 on: May 21, 2008, 09:40:06 AM

What the fuck?

Stray, don't take this the wrong way:

You have an iMac, you never, ever, ever get to complain. Ever.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #45 on: May 21, 2008, 09:41:18 AM

To top it off, I gave away my PC to some alcoholic psycho chick.

But I'll still complain all the same.  awesome, for real
dannyBstyle
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: May 21, 2008, 09:48:02 AM

They've said they are going to let the current population "settle in" before turning on the guest program so who knows when the keys will be made available.

ah crap I guess I may have to go buy it.  Feeling a bit dicey as my system is a mix of older stuff that has been heavily upgraded.  Anyone have some thoughts on playability with this set up:

pentium 4 2.8 (the weakest link)
1 gig of ram (I may get another gig if it made AoC magically playable)
primary drive 75gig WD raptor SATA
secondary 750gig barracuda SATA
Geforce 7800 AGP (pretty sure it's the 256mb version not at home to check)
Primary monitor - Dell 2407WFP
Secondary monitor - Dell 2005WFP
Win XP Pro.

Vangaurd early beta 3 was playable on this rig and was getting around 25-30 fps in most areas.

So what are the odds that AoC will be playable at 1920x1200 on this box?

Upgrading the mobo/cpu/ram and video card won't happen for at least another 6 months as I just don't have a spare $750+ laying around atm.

I have virtually the same system, but a slower HD. 2.8 GHz Pentium D, GeForce 7800 (Pci-E). Game runs fine, decent settings. No crazy shadows, but I have specular, 1680X1050, 4x AF to clean it up a bit, and the draw distance is decent. a little bit of "grey formless blob of background" in the distance. but it still looks great,  ask schild. runs a solid 30 fps or so, which is happy sauce for any MMO. Even this one. I'd say try it. Low-medium looks really good, high seems to be a Crysis-style "hey what's this gonna look like running on HAL 9000" business. This shit's gonna look even better down the line.

luv danny B

MAH NAME IS DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNY B

microwaveyourbaby.com
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #47 on: May 21, 2008, 09:50:02 AM

Anyways, when are the guest passes implemented? This game is officially live now right?
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #48 on: May 21, 2008, 09:51:05 AM

My box isn't going to be here until the 27th, so it seems.  I don't know when they're going to activate those buddy keys, either.  I'll check with people again when I get them. 

Vinadil
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: May 21, 2008, 10:43:55 AM

To those wondering if they can run the game... I would suggest http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srtest.

I thought that my machine was waaaay below minimum specs, but I passed the test and can run the game smoothly.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #50 on: May 21, 2008, 11:04:59 AM

I pass the sysreqs too, but my monitor skews things. After the server gets back up, I'm gonna try to adjust my res as if this was a 17" widescreen monitor (or basically close to the res of a 720p tv). It might work better than running in windowed mode.
schild
Administrator

Reply #51 on: May 21, 2008, 11:05:32 AM

Take a screenshot of your advanced graphics settings. I want to see what you think is "reasonable."
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #52 on: May 21, 2008, 11:07:31 AM

Right now, it looks like dogshit (can't show you atm, but I'll get to that later). I have to first set everything at low, and then further tweak things (shadows, distance, etc). Ends up looking pretty bad.

What I said above might just be the best workaround though.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #53 on: May 21, 2008, 12:47:01 PM

I canceled my Amazon order.  The guy I talked to didn't seem entirely sure about getting them in at all.  I'll buy a regular one in the shops.  Sorry about the buddy keys.  Oh well.  I'm sure enough people have ordered them for most people here to get a buddy key.  The CE is buggered up anyway.  No hard cover book, no wooden box... All I give up is the bow and I never play rangers, anyway.

Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #54 on: May 21, 2008, 01:03:08 PM

I remember them threatening to take away the preorder items if you cancel your order though.  I don't know if that will actually happen but considering all the other blunders in account management I wouldn't put it past them.
Vanifae
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: May 21, 2008, 01:55:37 PM

I remember them threatening to take away the preorder items if you cancel your order though.  I don't know if that will actually happen but considering all the other blunders in account management I wouldn't put it past them.
I canceled mine and still got my Mammoth even though I ended up buying the game in the store... but it was a normal edition either way.

My account is still banned on the forums though  this guy looks legit

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #56 on: May 21, 2008, 03:35:12 PM

I canceled my Amazon order.  The guy I talked to didn't seem entirely sure about getting them in at all.  I'll buy a regular one in the shops.  Sorry about the buddy keys.  Oh well.  I'm sure enough people have ordered them for most people here to get a buddy key.  The CE is buggered up anyway.  No hard cover book, no wooden box... All I give up is the bow and I never play rangers, anyway.
WTF?!

How did they get away with that shite!? Srsly, can I have source ifnoz? And if you cancel your Pre does your account get banned till you put in the new retail code?

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #57 on: May 21, 2008, 03:56:43 PM

I don't know, Engels.   After telling me on the phone this afternoon that I could cancel my order because it's their fault they didn't order enough, they sent us an email saying we couldn't cancel.  I already bought a new copy.  The guy I spoke to on the phone first apologised and said that they know the late shipping isn't right and they were working on making sure it didn't happen in the future.  Gee, thanks.  I put in my retail code and everything seems okay.  It hasn't taken away the bow yet, but I don't really care about that.  They also said that I could refuse the shipment and they would eventually refund my money when they got it back but, unfortunately, I have a drive by UPS man.  He tosses the package at the door, which counts as a knock, and runs like hell.  I have never seen him, regardless of how quickly I get to the door.  I've only ever bought two games from Amazon and I've had problems with both orders.

My source info is all over the official site and other sites about the cheapening of the CE goodies.  God, I can't dig in that hell hole for posts!

Update:  We just got another email from Amazon saying that they've shipped the CE tonight and it'll be here tomorrow.  Of course, I had already entered my retail key from the box I bought this afternoon.  So... they seem to have them, Engels.  Bitch at them enough and maybe they'll ship it tonight?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 04:51:32 PM by Signe »

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #58 on: May 21, 2008, 05:03:36 PM

Thanks for the update Signe. Since I live in Seattle, that means I have to drive in traffic to some rotten mall somewhere to pick up a retail box. At this stage, I think I'm just gonna wait it out.

What confuses me is that I thought you needed the retail box code to do the /claim command to get your bow or whatever. Seems you got to do /claim by entering the code in the Amazon.com 'my media' section? Maybe I should try that in game now, since it didn't work during EA.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: May 21, 2008, 05:59:02 PM

EU-Client downloaded, now all I need is a guest pass.  awesome, for real
(I'll let it patch overnight, by the look of it.)

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
photek
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: May 21, 2008, 06:06:17 PM

EU-Client downloaded, now all I need is a guest pass.  awesome, for real
(I'll let it patch overnight, by the look of it.)

You were first to respond to me, tomorrow when I pick up my CE, I'll PM it to you.

"I recently went to a new doctor and noticed he was located in something called the Professional Building. I felt better right away"
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #61 on: May 21, 2008, 06:52:47 PM

Well, tried the /claim again, but no dice. Doesn't even acknowledge that I entered the command. Odd

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #62 on: May 21, 2008, 07:52:13 PM

I just did the /claim thing and got my stuff.  Even the bow which doesn't have anything to do with the retail code that I entered.  Evidently, any retail code will do.  Unfortunately, the mammoth and bow are above my level and there doesn't seem to be a bank for storage so I get to lug them around.  Yay me.

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #63 on: May 22, 2008, 01:35:01 AM

I'd like to get a guest pass to the US version of AoC if possible. I won't be activating it until June though - I'm on holiday away from my gaming rig.

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: May 22, 2008, 02:13:32 AM

You were first to respond to me, tomorrow when I pick up my CE, I'll PM it to you.
Heart awesome, for real Heart

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
schild
Administrator

Reply #65 on: May 22, 2008, 02:17:14 AM

Guest passes won't even be available tomorrow. Unless it's by some fluke.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: May 22, 2008, 04:26:02 AM

To those wondering if they can run the game... I would suggest http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srtest.

I thought that my machine was waaaay below minimum specs, but I passed the test and can run the game smoothly.

Hey, that is a neat site. TY.

And then for fun I check my system to see if I could play AoC...

CPU
Minimum: Pentium 4/Athlon XP or better
You Have: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+  PASS   
 CPU Speed
Minimum: 3 GHz
You Have: 2.00 GHz Performance Rated at 3.20 GHz  PASS

WTF? Do I have a 2.0 GHz processor or a 3.20 GHz processor? I'm so confuzzled...

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #67 on: May 22, 2008, 04:58:46 AM

CPU
 CPU Speed

WTF? Do I have a 2.0 GHz processor or a 3.20 GHz processor? I'm so confuzzled...
AMD's marketing people have failed at their jobs. For a long time now AMD processors have been numbered in relation to the "equivalent" Intel CPU, in this case a Pentium 4. I.e. your A64 running at 2 GHz is roughly equivalent in performance to a 3.2 GHz P4.

Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: May 22, 2008, 05:44:09 AM

CPU
 CPU Speed

AMD's marketing people have failed at their jobs. For a long time now AMD processors have been numbered in relation to the "equivalent" Intel CPU, in this case a Pentium 4. I.e. your A64 running at 2 GHz is roughly equivalent in performance to a 3.2 GHz P4.

AhSo. Neat... I think?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: May 22, 2008, 05:49:03 AM

I just did the /claim thing and got my stuff.  Even the bow which doesn't have anything to do with the retail code that I entered.  Evidently, any retail code will do.  Unfortunately, the mammoth and bow are above my level and there doesn't seem to be a bank for storage so I get to lug them around.  Yay me.

You should have gotten a bag with that stuff, place it in the little bag icon in the INV, then you have another page with 8 slots. And there is banks, at least in every MAJOR cty.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: Guest Passes  
Jump to: