Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:45:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: Eq II Crappy Performance 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Eq II Crappy Performance  (Read 44388 times)
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #35 on: November 10, 2008, 11:22:37 AM

You need a machine upgrade. I was running a 3.06 p4, 1 gig of ram and Radion 9700 pro with 128 and the game was stunning and ran just fine with some custom tweaking. I don't know what you are running, but it seems to be something out of 2000 or before.

Last time I played was on a 8800gtx, q6600, 3.25 gigs ram.  Maybe I prefer to run games at a higher fps than others; maybe that's why my textures look like shit. 

I don't know... if it looks great to you all, that's awesome.  It's not in my personal taste though. 
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: November 10, 2008, 11:25:21 AM

You need a machine upgrade. I was running a 3.06 p4, 1 gig of ram and Radion 9700 pro with 128 and the game was stunning and ran just fine with some custom tweaking. I don't know what you are running, but it seems to be something out of 2000 or before.

Last time I played was on a 8800gtx, q6600, 3.25 gigs ram.  Maybe I prefer to run games at a higher fps than others; maybe that's why my textures look like shit. 

I don't know... if it looks great to you all, that's awesome.  It's not in my personal taste though. 

Ohhhhh, I see.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #37 on: November 10, 2008, 11:50:59 AM

See what I'm saying?
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #38 on: November 10, 2008, 01:16:59 PM

here's a probably stupid question -- FPS and overall performance would be defendant on your HD's bus right?  So hypothetically if I had EQ2 on a secondary drive that may be slower than whatever in speed or bus, that would lessen the shineh?  correct? 
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: November 11, 2008, 09:28:01 AM

here's a probably stupid question -- FPS and overall performance would be defendant on your HD's bus right?  So hypothetically if I had EQ2 on a secondary drive that may be slower than whatever in speed or bus, that would lessen the shineh?  correct? 

Only in times when it was loading data off the hard drive, once the data is in memory, it wouldn't matter as far as rendering is concerned. To much data, to slowly loading (or "streaming") off the hard drive creates what is commonly known as "Hitching". Depends on the games architecture. If i recall EQ2 has zones and loading screens so, to a point, its irrelevant, as the zone (assets) is loaded at that time, i don't recall if it uses streaming at all. The exceptions may be dynamic objects like players, that are not part of the zones asset package, those are potentially streamed as encountered.

Its been to long for me to recall how eq2 handles things. I do remember how it uses textures on world objects and interiors, and why it looks shitty on lower settings. Most of the world, building and zone textures such as brick are really about 3-4 textures creating the final composite. (Color, Grey scale detail, bump, and specular layers). Lowering the settings means the removal of layers, until only one is left, color, and its nothing more than that, a blank pure color. As seen in Hawkbits screen shots. Genius really.

See what I'm saying?

Yep.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 09:51:57 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: November 11, 2008, 05:02:45 PM

Release EQ2 handles almost everything in a single CPU and RAM. Those are what you want.

4 gig of RAM (or the 3.1-3.4 it leaves you actually able to use) and turn on the /3GB flag. For a CPU, the CPUs literally don't exist that can perform up to the engine's potential.

The whole setup with the CPU handling most graphics leads to some weird things where effects such as some of the lighting things that drive other games to their knees are effortless in EQ2--because they were added after launch and are done on the GPU which otherwise isn't doing a whole lot. Then other really basic stuff like shadows will give you a slideshow.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Soln
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: November 11, 2008, 05:08:22 PM

"turn on the /3GB flag"

there's an option on the graphics settings for this?
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: November 11, 2008, 05:12:45 PM

Windows 32 will use up to 4gb of memory between programs, system overhead, and video overhead. It will not, however, allocate more than 2gb to a single process unless you toss a flag into the ini file.

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/server/pae/paemem.mspx

Soln
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: November 11, 2008, 06:51:12 PM

thanks

we should have a PC performance sticky in PC Games with stuff like this.  Cheers.
veredus
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: November 19, 2008, 03:35:02 PM

Windows 32 will use up to 4gb of memory between programs, system overhead, and video overhead. It will not, however, allocate more than 2gb to a single process unless you toss a flag into the ini file.

I didn't see any mention of Vista on that link, does that not apply with Vista?
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: November 19, 2008, 05:35:05 PM

I didn't see any mention of Vista on that link, does that not apply with Vista?

Vista 64 you don't need to worry about and Vista32 apparently uses a different method

http://www.prophotowiki.com/w/index.php/IncreaseUserVa

This one I haven't tried and I just did a 2 second googlesearch to find it so I can't vouch for its accuracy.

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #46 on: February 20, 2009, 11:29:27 AM

Bored with everything else so I resubbed recently.  Performance has skyrocketed since I played last summer.  Seems as if they added multi-core support, I'm guessing it's making a helluva difference.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: February 21, 2009, 07:11:30 AM

They did the same kind of thing that COX did, where they moved some specific graphic rendering stuff to the second core. The big one being shadows. There should be a checkbox somewhere in the settings.

Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: March 09, 2009, 10:37:59 AM

They are moving shadows to the GPU, it's apparently up on test and people are reporting framerates doubling.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: March 09, 2009, 11:27:06 AM

About time! Since I lost a stick of RAM last week, I haven't played a whole lot of EQ2. Performance with 1GB is just messing with me too much. I tried tweaking some settings, but I figure the hell with it, the almighty egg will be coming through with my 4GB in a day or two.

I just hope the slot isn't toast, didn't think of that until I had placed the order  ACK! On the upside, I'll still have 2GB, on the flip it'll be in single channel mode.

Really not a good time to consider building a new pc undecided
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: March 11, 2009, 07:49:08 AM

Game running so much smoother with 3GB. Only a slight bit of hitching in Teren's Grasp with everything maxed out. Neriak, which had been pretty choppy, was running like glass. Tempted to get Vista64 and 4GB more since it's so dern cheap. Trying to hold out for Windows 7.

Still should roll over to test and see whether it's better to run shadows on the second cpu or on the gpu. I think texture swapping is really the main bottleneck I have, because I use max textures without LoD (with 768MB vram), I could bump LoD a bit and probably run without any slowdowns at all.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: March 11, 2009, 08:12:44 AM

Windows 7 is fantastic and I've had no troubles at all with it at all. Everything has run fine with the default drivers and nvidia even has beta's up. I could stick the ISO somewhere if anyone wants to try it.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: March 11, 2009, 08:26:43 AM

I don't want to jump in with both feet and don't have a disk to load it onto. I'll just hold off until it's released.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: Eq II Crappy Performance  
Jump to: