Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:48:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: Eq II Crappy Performance 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Eq II Crappy Performance  (Read 44387 times)
Ixxit
Terracotta Army

on: May 07, 2008, 04:23:20 AM

I recently upgraded my video card to a BFG 8600 GTS OC from a BFG 7600 GT, and in all games  except EQ II have gotten significant performance increases, even in the Age of Conan beta.  UT3, Bioshock  run very smooth.

EQ 2 is the  only exception. On any setting above "Balanced",  the game gets choppy, expecially in the newer areas like Neriak and Kunark where there are NPC's, towns and outposts.  I usually run the game at 1680 x 1050, but even  lowering the res down even 1280x960   or 1024x768 seems to have little effect.

I am running a AMD 3800 dual core and have 2 gigs of ram.  Is the game that processor intensive, or does anyone have any recommend tweaks to make the game look a little better that it does on "balanced settings".   

This is on a fresh install of the the game on a defragged drive.  I know my hardware isn't uber but it should be more than capable of handling a 3.5 year ond game. If this is as good as it gets, no wonder this game hasn't become more popular.  WOW in comparison looks a billion times better even with the lower ply counts  , on the highest res, highest settings with full AA.

Part of the rationale that was used about the game's poor performance (frame rate) when the game first came out was that it would scale nicely with future hardware.  This doesn't really seem to have been the case as I am pretty much running it at the same settings I did  back in 2004.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 04:35:42 AM by Ixxit »

I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 04:40:31 AM

Which card has more memory or are they the same? Did you check and see what driver version people are recommending for the game and try that?

Ixxit
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 04:48:27 AM

Both have the same amount  (256 mb).  I am using the latest  NV drivers, which I am not likely to downgrade for one game.  The older world areas run well, but Neriak, Kunark dn the Fae starting areas don't unless I keep the "balanced" setting.  The funny thing is that the newer areas really don't look all that better than the original ones,  and the only really difference I see is that there is more "stuff" crammed into then.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 04:52:32 AM

Did you visit the newer areas on the old card? If so was it better, worse, about the same?
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 05:07:22 AM

The fact of the matter is it is not your computer.....It is the game client.  EQ2 has not scaled nicely over the years - no multi-core support, and makes little use of advanced graphics cards.  Most of the processing is relying on a single-core.  Apparently they are trying to overcome this, as multi-core support was the #1 rated issue in a developer issue poll.  Not sure of timelines for that or anything, so I wouldn't hold my breath.
Ixxit
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 05:12:38 AM

Did you visit the newer areas on the old card? If so was it better, worse, about the same?

Yes I did, and comparitively they ran pretty much the same.

Thanks Bandit, that's probably a big part of it which probably  why that some of  newer areas  are choppier:  Hate's Envy just has so much crammed into a small area; probably more than the engine can render efficiently.

I'll continue with playing with the settings though, because there must be a way to make it look a little better without sacrificing too much performance.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 05:19:08 AM by Ixxit »

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 05:18:10 AM

Neriak is a texture hog.  You'd need more graphics memory, and possibly more computer memory and a CPU upgrade to get better performance there.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 05:26:08 AM

The only place I ever really have problems is GFay. Everything and everywhere else runs like a dream at max settings.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 05:51:19 AM

They wrote the game for the future, but got the future wrong. They guessed that this future was going to be very very fast single core processors. I had the dual core 3800+ too and performance was highly mediocre. I upgraded to a new system with a core 2 duo E6750, which is a pretty amazing CPU, and it's still not all that. I'm at 100% on one core and I get around 20fps on raids with Profit UI's "quality" settings. (Yes, I upgraded a 3 year old system to a leading edge one in order to play a 4 year old game.)

There was an old tweaking guide, but it's way way out of date and there have been a lot of additions to the game since it was released. You might peek at it though: http://www.eq2interface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=289

I have not done extensive testing and I do have a high end system, but it seems to me that many of the things we usually turn off for performance like bloom and such seem to have a pretty minimal effect for me. I'm guessing that's because it's done on the video card where a lot of the original stuff is heavy on the CPU.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Ixxit
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: May 07, 2008, 06:07:42 AM

There was an old tweaking guide, but it's way way out of date and there have been a lot of additions to the game since it was released. You might peek at it though: http://www.eq2interface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=289

Thanks, will check it out.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #10 on: May 07, 2008, 07:34:02 AM

I haven't bought a video card with a 128-bit bus because my ati 9800 pro was such a powerhouse for its time. 256 bit busses make a difference imo.

However, EQ2 does bite it when it comes to cpu usage and texture memory usage (since I have 768MB of vram!). I can reliably cause a texture memory crash in Neriak, Kelethin and Gorowyn chug. Neriak is a bit odd, since it's all walled off, it must be drawing everything in a radius, rather than LoS? Dunno. Old world and most non-city areas run like butter. Pillars of Flame for some reason is very slow, too.

Doesn't really seem to follow any reasoning I can figure out, I just have to remember the individual areas that are slow and load a lower graphic profile before entering. On a evga 8800gtx, c2d e6600, 2gb ram.
Ixxit
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: May 07, 2008, 07:48:41 AM

I'll have to get back out to some of the classic areas in the game and crank the details up.  Since the free Neriak expainsion I started suffering from alt-itis, playing exclusively  through the new areas since  I don't think I could bear starting  on 'refugee' Isle again after going through it so many times.

Sauced
Terracotta Army

Bat Country '05 Fantasy Football Champion

Reply #12 on: May 07, 2008, 08:31:35 AM

They also made some serious modifications to the client in LU44, which were intended to allow all users to keep an extended draw distance by doing a better job using mip-mapped textures.  Unfortunately for me, it basically made the game unplayable at any setting other than the lowest.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #13 on: May 07, 2008, 08:47:51 AM

It is definitely the game. I went from a 7950 + 3.2GHz single core to a 8600 Ultra + 2.4Ghz core duo and the difference was basically invisible.  The stuttering comes from texture loading so the MHz of your graphics card doesn't have a large impact. RAM and vidRAM are what you need.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 08:49:41 AM by shiznitz »

I have never played WoW.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #14 on: November 06, 2008, 10:31:57 AM

So, any news on this also -- do the graphics still demand a PC from the year 2012?
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #15 on: November 06, 2008, 12:50:19 PM

Nothing has changed except the price of a PC that will run the game well.

I have never played WoW.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #16 on: November 06, 2008, 02:44:21 PM

I think they're using the same toolset and texture qualities for new xpacs that they built the game with.  It's a fun game, but it's hampered by terribad graphics. 

Upside is that today's gaming rig should run it acceptably. 
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: November 07, 2008, 06:42:42 AM

Terrible graphics? I might agree with criticism of the art direction and style, but the graphics engine in EQ2 has always been superior to just about everything. The lighting, shadows, and mapping have always been great quality. It's one thing I miss in most other games.

Also one of the great crimes of mmo, the most technically stunning engine (still imo, though I haven't seen AoC in action) hampered by poor art direction. Kinda like WoW's great art direction hampered by the poor technical engine.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #18 on: November 07, 2008, 06:45:03 AM

I didn't think the graphics in EQ2 were terrible - or even terribad, either.  I liked them.  The character models, however - ugh.  Not interesting at all.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: November 07, 2008, 07:08:35 AM

To run the game decently with other people around, you can't run it at extreme.  Look at these textures, specifically ground and wall textures:  That's not quality work.  Other games have done better work with less. 

I still think the redesigned game is decent.  Hell, I'll play it when I bore of the WoW xpac in six months.  But I'm not playing it for the graphics, that's for sure. 

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: November 07, 2008, 08:31:11 AM

So you're saying the graphics look bad when you turn them down.  swamp poop
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #21 on: November 07, 2008, 11:15:43 AM

I don't have a particularly great computer, and when I was playing EQ2 I had a GeForce 7800 GT (have a better one now) and my game never ever looked that awful.

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: November 07, 2008, 11:30:14 AM

So you're saying the graphics look bad when you turn them down.  swamp poop

To a playable, acceptable fps.  Yes.  Watching a beautiful slideshow is not acceptable to me. 

Go to an older zone, say.... Commonlands.  Take a ride around.  Take in the... sights.  Some of those textures look as if they were ripped right from EQlive. 

I can't spend all day telling you why orange is a better color than red.  It's my preference.  If the game looks awesome to you, that's cool.  I feel they could have done more with what they had.  Or, rather, should have done less with what they had.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #23 on: November 07, 2008, 12:06:38 PM

They didn't look "awesome" to me, just not as bad as those pics you posted.

And why can't you spend all day with us?  You make me feel insecure. 

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: November 07, 2008, 01:25:11 PM

I'd be happy to spend the day... just not discussing EQ2.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #25 on: November 07, 2008, 01:38:19 PM

Yay! Umm...

So what are you wearing?

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: November 07, 2008, 01:49:12 PM

First the graphics are crappy when you turn them down. Now you bitch about the texturing of a launch zone.

How 'bout you just shut the fuck up, mmkay?
tkinnun0
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: November 07, 2008, 03:23:45 PM

Kinda like WoW's great art direction hampered by the poor technical engine.

I don't know enough about engines to judge them on their graphical capabilities, but their streaming technology is exceptional. While the game was crashing due to faulty memory, I could still take a griffon flight and while the landscape might have been a mere gray low-poly version and the minimap was all transparent due to my failing harddrive not being able to keep up, I would still end up at my destination right on time, then could keep playing while everything was loading.

Sometimes, in the dead of night, I wonder. What did they make out of my weird crash reports? Did they say to themselves: "that's not right, that can never happen on a working system". Or did they write code to work around my faulty memory stick?
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #28 on: November 07, 2008, 08:40:43 PM

Yeah, some of the newer zones run like garbage for me as well...though my PC is fairly old, from 2002. Especially zones like Gfay, there's just a lot of...stuff. I usually put my clip plane to max, though I should probably start bringing it down when I go into such zones.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: November 08, 2008, 05:18:59 AM

First the graphics are crappy when you turn them down. Now you bitch about the texturing of a launch zone.

How 'bout you just shut the fuck up, mmkay?

If you can't approach another person's opinion civilly, maybe a forum isn't for you.  I haven't seen too many personal attacks on F13 so far, not sure why this one's OK. 
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 05:21:27 AM by Hawkbit »
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #30 on: November 08, 2008, 06:29:32 AM

I don't know why Sky would react that way towards you.  He's usually so sweet, almost ladylike in his polite demeanor. 

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: November 10, 2008, 09:32:57 AM

My good man, possibly the examples that you have chosen to support your argument are lacking in impact and you should either choose a better approach or insert your genitalia into your own orifices.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #32 on: November 10, 2008, 09:34:52 AM

insert your genitalia into your own orifices.

Consecutively or simultaneously?

I have never played WoW.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: November 10, 2008, 10:17:20 AM

To run the game decently with other people around, you can't run it at extreme.  Look at these textures, specifically ground and wall textures:  That's not quality work.  Other games have done better work with less. 

I still think the redesigned game is decent.  Hell, I'll play it when I bore of the WoW xpac in six months.  But I'm not playing it for the graphics, that's for sure. 

You need a machine upgrade. I was running a 3.06 p4, 1 gig of ram and Radion 9700 pro with 128 and the game was stunning and ran just fine with some custom tweaking. I don't know what you are running, but it seems to be something out of 2000 or before.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #34 on: November 10, 2008, 11:10:33 AM

Obviously Sky was just having a bad day and he's back to his usual refined and courteous self.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: Eq II Crappy Performance  
Jump to: