Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:32:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Dear God, Help Me, I'm trying this again 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dear God, Help Me, I'm trying this again  (Read 44281 times)
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: May 11, 2008, 06:00:25 PM

Some of the ATI cards stutter, and it can be quite bad.

I like the Sands of Mu, but it fits most of my characters better than a giant axe.  And I justified it as the "Hands of Moo" on Jersey Girl.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: May 11, 2008, 07:14:10 PM

Some of the ATI cards stutter, and it can be quite bad.

I like the Sands of Mu, but it fits most of my characters better than a giant axe.  And I justified it as the "Hands of Moo" on Jersey Girl.
I've been noticing stutter. I turned off shadows and that helped a lot. The Sands of Mu is fun. :)

I created a villian -- Technological Mastermind. I have a robot. :) I actually didn't plan to keep him (just wanted to toy with the villian costume editor and see the starting zone), but I managed such a cool costume and a great name, so I'm keeping him. (Lord Monochrome and his mighty robot Clank!).
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #72 on: May 11, 2008, 07:20:23 PM

Also, apparently I can choose between a permanent Ghost Slaying Axe or Sands of Mu. Any reason to choose one over the other?
Quick summary: The consensus is that Sands of Mu is generally better overall because you can hit multiple targets with it. Depending on your power damage types and the types of mobs you fight regularly the Axe may be a better a choice. Some people avoid Sands just because of the length of the animation and rooting effect and similarly some people avoid the Axe just because of the weapon draw.

Sands of Mu is the same style attack as Shadow Maul if you are familiar with that power. This is both good and bad. The good is that with some practice you can hit more than one enemy with SoM if you line them up correctly. The bad is you are rooted for the duration of the long animation including if you miss.

Sands does negative damage while the Axe does lethal. It can be useful to pick the Axe if you do mostly negative damage (to use against negative resistant mobs) and Sands if you do mostly lethal. On the other hand there are Dark Melee users who think that having two Shadow Maul-style attacks is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

You can go even deeper than that by looking at the resistances of individual mobs and picking the power that offsets resistances to your primary damage type. E.g. The "zombie"-type Banished Pantheon strongly resist both psionic and negative damage. Similarly Carnies resist psionic but take extra damage from lethal. On my Illusion controllers, which do primarily psionic damage, I take the Axe to take advantage of these match ups (and others). They are also rarely in position to be able to hit multiple targets with Sands so that advantage is negated.

The Axe also does double damage against "true" undead (Vahz don't count, unfortunately) which includes those annoying CoT spectrals with the extra damage being done as energy. The Axe can also be annoying if you are a weapon user (e.g. Katana Scrapper) cause you have to take out your weapon again after using the Axe. The Axe looks really cool, though.
climbjtree
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: May 12, 2008, 12:40:03 PM

I'm just rerolled onto Virtue. I've got a natural/martial arts scrapper by the name of Day Trader.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: May 12, 2008, 01:12:32 PM

I'm just rerolled onto Virtue. I've got a natural/martial arts scrapper by the name of Day Trader.
I'll be on tonight -- probably running radio missions in Kings Row. (Level 6 Fire/ice blaster -- @Blazing Ice). Took me two deaths to do one last night -- tried the boss with no inspirations left. :(

If I'm not in Kings Row, I'm probably toying with my Villian Lord Monochrome. He finds the riotous colors of superheros offensive, and wishes to purge them from the Earth. Villians next, of course.
climbjtree
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: May 12, 2008, 02:13:33 PM

I will be on as well, however I'm struggling with some stuttering and that doesn't go over well as a scrapper.

I'll be rerolling my secondary onto Virtue as well.

He is The Burgundy Bulwark, a defender styled after the golden age heroes.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: May 12, 2008, 07:37:13 PM

You guys are tempting me to resub just to see what I still have on virtue. 

Day Trader: great name!

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
climbjtree
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: May 13, 2008, 05:24:09 AM

Resub? Do it.

Also, sorry I wasn't around last night - something came up. (read: I got tanked)
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: May 13, 2008, 08:37:23 AM

Resub? Do it.

Also, sorry I wasn't around last night - something came up. (read: I got tanked)
I'd probably miss any global tells anyways -- the chat's hard for me to really pay attention to. I think I have Xanthippe0 in my friend's list, and my brother apparently still plays in Infinity (his schedule is finally vaguely close to mine so we might one day be on at the same time).

I played my Villian yesterday anyways. Got to level 6, took Hover, cursed myself for ALWAYS TAKING HOVER and trying to decide which hero/villans should take something else anyways (hover just fits too well with my playstyle. Plus, fucking 3-D world).

I got my second robot -- Lord Monochrome and his henchman Clank and Clonk are doing battle. I like the Robots/Bubbles combo, although I can already see that reapplying bubbles is going to soak up a lot of time. I'm going to have to think carefully about how I want to slot those bubbles, and I think my next power is upgrade robot and I'm sure how that works...
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: May 13, 2008, 09:38:22 AM

Upgrade robot:  Select your henchaman and activate.  They gain additional abilities.  For the minions, it's a non-interruptable sniper-like attack.  Protector bots get a repair, and the Assault bot gets lots of goodies.  When you only have a few, it's worth putting in a recharge in the slot.  Later you might want endurance.

Take combat jumping and super leap on your next character.  It's a ton of fun.  Fly is good for a Mastermind though.

I have my chat window split in two.  Chat channels in one pane, combat and system info in the other.  Things are rarely busy enough that my chat scrolls off before I can read it.

-----
Speaking of robots, I would like some naming suggestions.  Currently I have:

Minions - traceroute, netstat, ping
Protect - Firewall, Black ICE
Assault - kill -9

'Black ICE' and 'netstat' are the ones I'm thinking of changing.  Telnet might work for the minion, but other ideas are good.

Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: May 13, 2008, 10:02:12 AM

What's your Villian's particular....theme?

I mean, I admit that mine's pretty dumb. I was using White/black as linked colors while I worked on getting the costume to look right, and ended up LIKING white/black (mostly white -- the black is edging), and when the name "Lord Monochrome" wasn't taken (I was thrilled -- first time EVER that the first name I tried in CoX wasn't taken) I jumped at it.

So then I came up with, you know, a reason. A very fitting one. Lord Monochrome became a villian after spending his childhood suffering under the visual assault of Superhero's and their godawful costumes. The pain from the clashing colors was so awful that he vowed to destroy all Supers -- and then Villians, because most of them aren't much better. (Battlecry: "Those colors clash!")

Since I tend to wince at least three or four times an hour when some particular eyesore of a Super runs by, there's a bit of a grain of truth there. :)

I went with Clank and Clonk just because -- his robots are tools to an end. I admit -- with some shame -- that I found myself talking to the bloody things. "Clank, kill this imbicile for me. Clonk, destroy this fool" etc.

If you're going with net terms -- how about replacing Black Ice with Encrypt, VPN or if you want to get more obscure -- Blowfish or AES. :)
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: May 13, 2008, 10:51:05 AM

Robot/Dark.  Name of Latency, so obviously a network theme.  (What's more villainous to a gamer than latency?)  Her dark powers made people shun her, so now she shuns them and builds her own friends.

The minions I was going for networking protocols and tools.  The protector bots are protective devices or protocols.  I'm trying to avoid acronyms, but had nothing else for the second protector bot.

The assault bot speaks for itself, although I'm amused Latency considers people nothing more than processes at this point.  (One of the minions had been using this, but I finally got to upgrade it.)

Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: May 13, 2008, 11:22:19 AM

Robot/Dark.  Name of Latency, so obviously a network theme.  (What's more villainous to a gamer than latency?)  Her dark powers made people shun her, so now she shuns them and builds her own friends.

The minions I was going for networking protocols and tools.  The protector bots are protective devices or protocols.  I'm trying to avoid acronyms, but had nothing else for the second protector bot.

The assault bot speaks for itself, although I'm amused Latency considers people nothing more than processes at this point.  (One of the minions had been using this, but I finally got to upgrade it.)
Hmm. I thought with Protectors you were going with security tools -- so Encrypt would work. But for networking tools and protocols, have you considered Satan? I doubt many would get the reference....damn script kiddies. :)
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: May 13, 2008, 07:14:39 PM

Wee! First Mayhem mission! That was fun.

I can do that again, right? Just keep running paper missions?

Anyways, my contact (Mikey the Ear) is offering me one of three different contacts to choose -- there seems to be some significance to the choices I'm missing here. Anyone know why I'm getting three choices for a new contact in that zone?
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: May 13, 2008, 07:58:07 PM

ds.
The minions I was going for networking protocols and tools.  The protector bots are protective devices or protocols.
Net Protocols/Tools:
Ethereal or Tethereal
NetBEUI
NetBIOS
puTTY
TermServ
SARA, SATAN, Nessus
POP3
Sendmail
SMTP
Port 23, Port 22, Port 21
Packet, Header, Payload
SYN, ACK, FIN, RST

Protective Devices/Protocols:
SPI or Stateful Inspection
ElGamAl
Public Key and Private Key
CRC, MD5 Sum, Checksum
Hamming Distance

I don't know how many bots you get in total but you could name each one after a layer in the OSI Model.

If that's not enough, just wiki those terms and they will lead you to hundreds of others.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: May 13, 2008, 09:28:12 PM

Anyways, my contact (Mikey the Ear) is offering me one of three different contacts to choose -- there seems to be some significance to the choices I'm missing here. Anyone know why I'm getting three choices for a new contact in that zone?

This is how you develop contacts which lead to story arcs.  You do three paper missions, then a mayhem mission, then you get a new contact.  Each contact will lead to rewards from the different origins (though inventions make this less important).  You should be able to get multiple contacts by completing the story arcs and doing more paper missions.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Glazius
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: May 13, 2008, 11:22:45 PM

This is how you develop contacts which lead to story arcs.  You do three paper missions, then a mayhem mission, then you get a new contact.  Each contact will lead to rewards from the different origins (though inventions make this less important).  You should be able to get multiple contacts by completing the story arcs and doing more paper missions.

Story arcs usually have wrinkles not found in the repeatable paper missions, unlike heroside where a lot of contact missions are just rubber stamps. Of the three contacts, Vendetti has you destroy an Elite Boss, Bocor sends you up against some of the more oddball arcane groups and foreshadows some later-game stuff, and Billie Heck has an interesting mission chain with some ambush waves and recurring minor enemies.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: May 14, 2008, 05:18:25 AM

Thanks Murgos.  Those are some good ones.  Masterminds get six minions total, so if I had named the character after one of the layers, the OSI model would be a perfect fit.

When you get Oborous missions, you can go back and do story arcs and badge missions you missed, however I like do both the mayhem missions.  There are plenty of story missions to level you and some really cool ones out there.  There are also hidden contacts which become available when you meet certain conditions.

Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: May 14, 2008, 09:38:38 AM

Thanks Murgos.  Those are some good ones.  Masterminds get six minions total, so if I had named the character after one of the layers, the OSI model would be a perfect fit.
What power pools are you finding useful as a Mastermind?

I just dinged eight (hover, equip robot, my two minions, deflection shield) and am trying to decide what to take at 10. Slotting wise I've got my robots six slotted (three damage, three accuracy) and I'll probably three-slot my deflection shield (and insulation shield when I get it) with three defense buffs. I hate slotting my pulse rifle, simply because I don't use it much, but I think I have a +range, +damage, and +accuracy on it. The push power I've only got a +knockback on that I keep planning to replace with +accuracy so I don't miss as much.

I am acculumating invention salavage like crazy. I had to go find the vault, since I had 26 pieces (room for 30 total) at level 8. I need to do something about that soon.
climbjtree
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: May 14, 2008, 10:42:38 AM

My problem with CoX is that I just keep rerolling.

So now, if you're playing your Hero, look up Day Trader.

If you're playing your villain, look up XB-109.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: May 14, 2008, 02:22:05 PM

Salvage comes by fairly easily, and at your level you can get as much benefit from selling it as making enhancements.  Some of the rarer or more expensive pieces I'll save, but otherwise it's just as easy to purchase most of them if you want to make something.

I've taken Hover, Fly, Assault, and relented to take Swift, Health, and Stamina once in my 20s.  I had Tactics before respecing, but its benefit is pretty low, and endurance drain was finally getting the better of me.  I didn't take a pulse rifle attack until 28.  With Stamina I could afford adding an attack, it gives me a bit to do, and I got the Rikti rifle costume piece, so this lets me pull it out.  (I admit the Rikti rifle was the major reason I took it.)  I'll take Tactics and/or Group Fly again later.  Group Fly is fun with robots, they get rocket boots, but I hardly ever used it.

Minions I five slot (2 Acc, 3 Dam).  Will six slot them once I start putting Pet IOs in their slots.  Protector Bots are six (2 Acc, 2 Dam, 2 Def) until Pet IOs.  Assault is going to be six, with all Pet IOs.  My rifle attack (Burst?  Second attack power.) is only one slotted with a dual Dam/Acc IO.  I'm mainly focusing on my secondary powers now that my pets are slotted.  Six in my Twilight Grasp, four in Tar Patch, and Darkest Night.  A few added to the rest as I can.

Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: May 15, 2008, 08:16:30 AM

I'm thinking about selling the bulk of the common salvage parts, and keeping the uncommons (and one or two rares I have). I need to look up where the invention tutorial starts in City of Villians.

I took bubbles as my secondary power, so far I'm three-slotting bubbles with Defense buffs. (The recharge is fast enough). I slotted equip robot with double recharge speed ones, so I can rather quickly get everyone upgraded. I skipped photon grenade entirely, although do have the photon rifle attack (3rd power, not first). So now I can upgrade my minions then bubble them with deflection and insulation.

I plan to skip barrier cage, I don't see needing a root yet.

Power pool wise -- so far just hover. My endurance use is REALLY low right now, since all I ever use it for is push and photon rifle, and re-bubbling. I'm wanting flight and probably group flight. I was looking at Leadership, to buff my minions, but I was under the impression most of those powers were passive.

I just dinged 10, so it's off to run the invention tutorial. :)
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: May 15, 2008, 09:03:19 AM

I'm thinking about selling the bulk of the common salvage parts, and keeping the uncommons (and one or two rares I have). I need to look up where the invention tutorial starts in City of Villians.
Saving rares and some uncommons is the best idea.  Maybe arcane salvage, too.  The tutorial is in Cape Au Diablo, near the northwest Ferry.

Power pool wise -- so far just hover. My endurance use is REALLY low right now, since all I ever use it for is push and photon rifle, and re-bubbling. I'm wanting flight and probably group flight. I was looking at Leadership, to buff my minions, but I was under the impression most of those powers were passive.
Vengeance is a click, the others are all toggles.  Their drain isn't too bad (one slot Assault with Endurance), but it adds up.  Dark is also endurance intensive with its two big toggles, Darkest Night and Shadowfall, which was part of my problem.  I was fine if I didn't use them, but they're the best powers in the set.

Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: May 15, 2008, 01:19:19 PM

Here's a question -- what's the difference between the Accurance and To Hit enhancements?
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: May 15, 2008, 02:15:50 PM

Accuracy makes a power hit more often. "enhancements" make a boost stronger -- so you could drop that on aim and you'd get more accuracy bonus out of aim.

(I think)

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #95 on: May 15, 2008, 04:06:43 PM

Here's a question -- what's the difference between the Accurance and To Hit enhancements?
http://cityofheroes.wikia.com/wiki/Attack_Mechanics
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: May 15, 2008, 04:08:00 PM

It has to do with how the basic combat formula works in CoX.  In a nutshell (iirc): a player has a basic 75% chance to hit an even level mob (50% chance to hit another player in PvP).  To Hit adjustments and Defense adjustments add and subtract from that base number directly.  The result can't go over 95% or under 5%.  That's then multiplied by Accuracy for your final chance to hit something, again capped at 95%.  There are other modifiers in there as well but that's the basic To Hit vs Accuracy part.  People generally find To Hit more valuable because if you're trying to hit a very high defense target, the +To Hit is going to give you better results.

Example:

If I'm in PvP and I'm trying to hit a target with 45% Defense, then 50% (base) - 45% (defense) = 5% * (1 + 100%)  (three Accuracy enhancements is roughly 100% bonus) = 10% or so chance to hit.

Let's say you had just a 15% To Hit bonus and only 33% Accuracy (one SO) against the same target: 50% (base) + 15% (To Hit) - 45% (Defense) = 20% * (1 + 33%) = around 26% chance to hit.

That's all just a very general overview comparing the two.  Ultimately it's really only going to matter a lot in PvP, against very high defense mobs or mobs way over your level.

Edit: and then Trippy posts something much more comprehensive.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 04:09:37 PM by Nevermore »

Over and out.
stark
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: May 15, 2008, 04:15:57 PM

Simple (lol) Version of the ToHit Equation:

CLAMP( [Player Accurcy] * [Power Accuracy] * CLAMP( [Base ToHit] + [ToHit Buffs] - [Target Defense]) )

The CLAMP keeps the number between 5% and 95%

An accuracy enhancement will increase the [Power Accuracy] term. 
A ToHit ehancement will increase the portion of [Tohit Buffs] that the power grants.

Example Case, I have a 3% accuracy set bonus and I use Build Up (+20% tohit buff) that has one SO ToHit Enhancement (20% bonus), I also have tactics running unenhanced (12.5% tohit buff) (  then execute a power with one SO Accuracy Enhancement (33% bonus) against a target with 60% defense:

CLAMP( 1.03 * 1.33 * CLAMP( .75 + (.20 * 1.20) + .125 - .60) ) = 1.37 * .515 = .705  (70.54% actual chance to hit)

With only the accuracy enhancement final chance would be 65%, with only the tohit enhancement the chance would be 53%.  However because tohit is additive and accuracy multiplies there are cases where tohit will be more helpful than accuracy.  Additionally, tohit buffs effect every power you use, while accuracy enhancements will only help the power they are slotted in.

Edit: Guess I spent too much time playing with colors.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 04:20:56 PM by stark »
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #98 on: May 15, 2008, 04:28:56 PM

Ha! I love the color coding, though the green is slightly confusing since that's used for healing related stuff.

One thing to remember about this stuff is that the game is almost entirely wrong when it comes to labelling Accuracy and ToHit buffs/debuffs. Except for enhancements and IO set bonuses everywhere you see "Acc", "+Acc", "-Acc" and so on those are actually ToHit not Accuracy. E.g. those yellow Skittles are buffing ToHit not Accuracy. Mid's has it wrong too which doesn't help matters.
Glazius
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: May 16, 2008, 12:07:02 AM

I'm thinking about selling the bulk of the common salvage parts, and keeping the uncommons (and one or two rares I have).

Generally, don't bother holding on. If you've got some new slots and want to invent things to put in them, wait until you've made your enhancements before you dump them on the black market. But otherwise, just dump away. You can probably get better value out of just autoselling for the common "invention: attribute" recipes that you can buy from a worktable, and for some rarely purchased uncommon and rare salvage, and also for rarely used recipes. Every store buys recipes and salvage for the same price.

I generally don't even bother with pursuing rare sets, since they're seldom cheap, but if I really like the bonuses or the set's easy to acquire (confusion, immobilize, slow) then I'll take a couple. As far as I'm concerned the real draw to sets is getting 40% or 50% worth of enhancements in a single slot - mixing multiple sets sometimes in a process affectionately called 'frankenslotting". Selling a single piece of rare magic salvage for a high price can fund several powers' worth of cheap set enhancements.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: May 16, 2008, 05:19:11 AM

The only commons I would save at low level are Luck Charms.  Those are used in Accuracy IOs and people very early on price manipulated those up to some pretty ridiculous prices (at least for a lowbie).  Great if you don't care about inventions and just want to sell them on the market, not so great if you actually want to make Accuracy IOs when you're low level.  This will likely change when I12 is released since magic salvage will be dropping more frequently.

Over and out.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: May 16, 2008, 07:15:52 AM

The only commons I would save at low level are Luck Charms.  Those are used in Accuracy IOs and people very early on price manipulated those up to some pretty ridiculous prices (at least for a lowbie).  Great if you don't care about inventions and just want to sell them on the market, not so great if you actually want to make Accuracy IOs when you're low level.  This will likely change when I12 is released since magic salvage will be dropping more frequently.

I sold 2 of those for 100k last week - because there were less than 10 on the market.  Now there's hundreds but they're still selling for over 50k in the evenings.

Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: May 16, 2008, 07:49:41 AM

I've just sold everything as I got it and I have a full set of IEs and two milliion inf. I don't think it pays to hold on really. You're better off leveraging patience. Put stuff up at a high price and buy at a low and let it percolate for a few days. Lots of people, me included, just keep going up up up until they get what they need NOW.

I'm also pretty surprised at how little the enhancements go up between levels. I looked at replacing IE 30s with 35s and the difference is tiny. I think I'm going to kit out to all IEs now and just sit on them until 50.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
stark
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: May 16, 2008, 08:07:03 AM

Might want to sell your luck charms now before I12 hits live, because it will destroy demand for low level accuracy enhancements.  Lower level characters will start out at 95% base tohit and gradually fall down to 75% by level 20.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: May 16, 2008, 09:10:52 AM

Well, I started making inventions -- made a 10 accuracy one (I've got the mats for several 15 Damage and 15 Accuracy, and even some 15 To Hit ones). I just need to figure out which ones to make and where to slot them. I also need to ding level 12 to make them.

The black market is a bit confusing in terms of how to sell stuff there. I didn't have too much time last night to play around -- just ran the invention tutorial.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Dear God, Help Me, I'm trying this again  
Jump to: