Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 01:36:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Consignment House 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Consignment House  (Read 10848 times)
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

on: May 06, 2008, 09:36:39 AM

It seems incredibly easy to make influence in this game. 

I spent yesterday trying to learn about inventions, salvage and the consignment house.  I ended up with about 50% higher influence than when I started.

Do people actually need influence?  It seems very easy to get.

Am i missing something?

I like this salvage/inventions thing.
stark
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 09:46:40 AM

its a time/effort trade-off.  You can easily make lots of influence playing the market, it just takes time to do it.  Some people will bid absurdly high just to make sure they won't need to waste time bidding twice.

The auction house is a late addition to the game so older players had time to collect billions of influence (one guy actually reached MAX_INT influence and rolled over).
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 10:37:10 AM

Influence is useful if you want to buy IOs, but otherwise I'm not aware of any need for it.

I've had a few lucky drops though and gone from 20k influence a few weeks ago on my mid-20s Mastermind to 2 million prior to buying some sets.  The collector and crafter in me likes the system.  I've resisted the urge to play the market so far other than buying pieces I need for myself cheaply.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 10:47:59 AM

It's pretty easy to amass hundreds of millions of influence in your 30's if you like the economic mini-game.  I think that influence becomes largely worthless after you hit 50 and have all the enhancement sets you want.  Still, if you enjoy playing the market then go for it!

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Glazius
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 02:20:55 PM

I spent yesterday trying to learn about inventions, salvage and the consignment house.  I ended up with about 50% higher influence than when I started.

Am i missing something?

Well, a level 50 can make a couple mill an hour. Most popular common recipes will go for about a mill, most popular rares for 5-10, and rare salvage is 2-5 mill apiece.

If you don't want the super rare sets then you can slot yourself out completely for what somebody else pays to slot up one power.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 04:18:18 PM

Am i missing something?

I like this salvage/inventions thing.
You need influence if you want to buy the IO set enhancements that are in high demand. A "min/max" build can easily cost over a billion influence, more if you want purples (the super rare drops) too.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: May 06, 2008, 04:52:21 PM

I made a rad/rad defender on Virtue today (Rad Molly).  She's 6 now.  She has almost 300k influence just from selling the crap she picked up today.

ACK!
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #7 on: May 06, 2008, 05:04:33 PM

If you don't care about low level IOs just wait till you start unloading arcane salvage en masse. Hint: Fight as many Hellions and CoTs as you can. If you are doing radio missions keep resetting them by zoning until you can get a Hellion or CoT mission.

Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 08:06:35 AM

Is the Consignment house for all servers or server specific?

[edit: poorly put]
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: May 08, 2008, 08:18:19 AM

I believe server specific, but heroes' and villains' are linked.

stark
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: May 08, 2008, 08:34:42 AM

You have that backwards, its across all shards, but heroes and villains have seperate houses
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: May 08, 2008, 01:24:57 PM

You have that backwards, its across all shards, but heroes and villains have seperate houses

Stark is correct.

Over and out.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: May 08, 2008, 01:45:51 PM

There we go then.

That's interesting since it means the economies across all servers are linked.  I wonder if that causes things to be more balanced than other games with server-only economies.

Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: May 08, 2008, 02:27:46 PM

Last sale of a recipe I bought? 100k. No, I'll make the item instead. I bought 40k of junk. Making it up cost 40k. I sold the item for 950k. Took a whole day to sell.

I think it's like thelow level str pillows in AO. People have so much money they don't know what to do with it, so if you cater to their need for convenience, you can make a fortune at lower level.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #14 on: May 08, 2008, 05:59:46 PM

There we go then.

That's interesting since it means the economies across all servers are linked.  I wonder if that causes things to be more balanced than other games with server-only economies.
Depends on what you mean by balanced. The CH is horribly implemented, IMO. The history is way too short, no names are listed, it's incredibly painful to buy things cause you have to manually keep upping your buy amount until you match a sell price, it's way way too easy to monopolize items, and all the most popular common IOs use arcane salvage which totally jacks up those prices Hero side (Villain-side it's better cause you fight arcane groups more often). All these things and more means that the prices in the CH only occassionally follow the normal rules of supply and demand.

It is nice for the those servers will low populations since they can get access to things that might otherwise be in short (or no) supply if each server had its own CH.

Edit: I should add that the rare mid-level and high-level arcane salvage have the same problem as the common arcane salvage usually going for 100x or more than their tech counterparts which again shows how badly Cryptic messed up the IO formulas.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 06:12:48 PM by Trippy »
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: May 08, 2008, 08:06:32 PM

Yes, but it's making me a rich woman and I'm not trying hard at all.

Glazius
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: May 08, 2008, 10:00:20 PM

Edit: I should add that the rare mid-level and high-level arcane salvage have the same problem as the common arcane salvage usually going for 100x or more than their tech counterparts which again shows how badly Cryptic messed up the IO formulas.

Actually if you look at the prices of military cybernetics and chronal skips, they're higher than the others. This is actually because the tech market is far, far too slack - tech rares could keep their current rate of throughput with a stable price of 300k, and the slightly higher prices for these items are legacies of players who got riich by doing just that. People are just caught up in the idea that "arcane is rarer". Even if a massive amount of arcane salvage is suddenly dumped on the market, prices swing back to their current levels.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #17 on: May 09, 2008, 04:16:41 AM

There's not really anything to buy, though.  Unless you buy the same sorts of stuff you sell, and then it costs you a fortune, too.  They really do need more stuff.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: May 09, 2008, 05:45:43 AM

Unless you are buying the really rare IOs, and maybe this changes for the high level stuff, someone will sell things cheaply.  You just have to be patient enough to wait a day or two, try a couple of price points, and look at the levels of enhancements adjacent to your target one.  With ED and full set bonuses, the difference a few levels make is negligable.  Most salvage someone will dump it for super cheap, even if it usually sells for a lot.

Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: June 01, 2008, 07:44:56 AM

Holy crap, the Black Market is a license to print influence. I sold a single set enchancement (I had the parts and I had looted the enhancement) that went for almost 3 million.

I've found I can get the parts for one common enhancement for about 500 to 1200 (depending on the market), it costs 16000 to make (I've memorized the pattern) and I can sell it for anywhere from 50k to 75k. I make ten of those a day, and I seem to be the ONLY supply.

It'll probably dry up once all the new Arachnos and whatever folks level past it, but I'm milking it for all I'm worth.
Glazius
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: June 01, 2008, 11:40:05 PM

But you can't get knockback resistance IOs for under 2 million anymore, so it's terribly broken and the devs should stop evil flipper-arbitrager-speculators like you from HURTING THE CASUAL PLAYER!!!1`1`1```!!!
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: June 02, 2008, 06:39:10 AM

I can do the same thing on the hero side. It won't dry up. It's just people with squillions of inf who would rather just buy something quick than find three or four components and run across to the university.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: June 02, 2008, 10:12:08 AM

But you can't get knockback resistance IOs for under 2 million anymore, so it's terribly broken and the devs should stop evil flipper-arbitrager-speculators like you from HURTING THE CASUAL PLAYER!!!1`1`1```!!!
Ha! That's what I sold! :)

I went from about 12k influence to -- as of this morning -- about 3.5 million influence. I've managed to memorize the level 10, 15, and 20 damage inventions, the level 10 defense buff ones, have replaced all my Damage enhancements (a LOT) with the 20's (I'll move to 25s soon -- heck, I wasn't even planning to move from 15s to 20s, but they were selling so well and I had to make six to memorize them).

I have the level 10 accuracy ones memorized, and almost the 15-20s.

I've got everything slotted with inventions, have three nice set pieces (two are the pet ones, but sadly the second one -- the taunt one -- I can't slot for another two levels). And I have about 500k in bids on some recipes on the Black Market.

Not bad for a weekend's work. I'd still be up 800k influence without having sold the Knockback protection enhancement, but it would have taken longer -- I had to spend money to make the IO's to memorize patterns. :)

The Damage market has dried up temporarily, though. Suddenly LOTS of other people making them and the price has dropped to less than double the costs of materials and creation. Still worth keeping 5 to 10 at a time up. :)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Consignment House  
Jump to: