Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:40:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: Review: Persona 3 Fes 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Review: Persona 3 Fes  (Read 87995 times)
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #35 on: May 05, 2008, 07:08:35 AM

I imagine the best game (jrpg) ever would have some sort of variety in its dungeon crawl, and wouldn't make you go out on dates in order to become more powerful?
schild
Administrator

Reply #36 on: May 05, 2008, 07:17:49 AM

I imagine the best game (jrpg) ever would have some sort of variety in its dungeon crawl, and wouldn't make you go out on dates in order to become more powerful?

It's not really about dates. That only increases one of the categories. It's relationships with humans in general. It's fucking awesome and MMOGs have a shitload to learn from it.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: May 05, 2008, 11:10:23 AM

If you're responding to me, I said my favorite console RPG, not my favorite console game. Slight difference. I'm still debating that to be honest.

The dungeon crawl doesn't have alot of variety, true, which was one of my complaints when I played the non-FES version. Combat gets kind of repetitive. But it does in any console RPG. This one has enough variety in the fights themselves that it doesn't bother me too badly.

And you might not like the social links (dates) but I do. I also like the fact that most of the time I have more freedom (or at least illusion of it) than I do in your typical JRPG. I enjoyed Lost Odyssey for instance, but I felt railroaded even more than normal because I'd just finished Persona 3 6 months or so before I played it.

Some aspects of the game will of course come down to taste. I feel immersed in the Persona 3 world and I love that it's not "generic fantasy/sci fi hybrid #72" like every single game that Square puts out.

Also, the level of emo in the game is practically non-existant. Maybe the main character's hair style but that's about it. The men in the game actually look you know...male.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #38 on: May 05, 2008, 11:14:44 AM

Oh yeah, I liked it a lot too.  I just don't think it's game of the decade, let alone JRPG of the decade (Shadow Hearts 2, maybe?)
schild
Administrator

Reply #39 on: May 05, 2008, 11:27:28 AM

If Shadowhearts 2 took itself a LITTLE more seriously, it would be a tough call. But it didn't, there was a slew of silliness. Shadowhearts 3 is right the fuck out. Talk about the wrong direction.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: May 05, 2008, 12:38:50 PM

Oh yeah, I liked it a lot too.  I just don't think it's game of the decade, let alone JRPG of the decade (Shadow Hearts 2, maybe?)

I haven't played the Shadow Hearts games so I can't judge them relative to Persona 3.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
schild
Administrator

Reply #41 on: May 05, 2008, 03:02:28 PM

I haven't played the Shadow Hearts games so I can't judge them relative to Persona 3.

Play them, now.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #42 on: May 05, 2008, 03:09:03 PM

One of us!  One of us!
Mazakiel
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: May 05, 2008, 05:54:16 PM

Just...don't start with 3.  1 and then 2 if you can, though at the least, try 2. 
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #44 on: May 05, 2008, 06:37:28 PM

Just...don't start with 3.  1 and then 2 if you can, though at the least, try 2. 

It's OK to start with 2.  It kind of retcons some of 1's major plot points and umm.. goes with the less desirable ending for 1.  Although you won't get some of the emotional impact and significance of some of the plot points if you don't finish the first.  And.. 1 is a really good game.  Better than FF7 IMO, although most will probably disagree with me there.

3 is completely skippable.  I'm near finished with it and can't be bothered to.  It's like a parody of the entire series.

-Rasix
Mazakiel
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: May 05, 2008, 09:20:47 PM

Better than FF7 IMO, although most will probably disagree with me there.

No disagreement here.  While part of it could be attributed to advances in tech and all that allowing more to be done, Shadow Hearts 2 is just leaps and bounds beyond most other stuff out there, old and new.  Playing it's made it harder to slog through the more standard fare, really.  I hope SH 4, if/when we get one, is more along the lines of it rather than 3. 
schild
Administrator

Reply #46 on: May 05, 2008, 09:34:57 PM

We're not going to get SH4.

Long and short of it:
Aruze Entertainment took control of Sacnoth after SNK folded in 2000. Sacnoth changed their name to Nautilus for the development of the sequel Shadow Hearts: Covenant and future video games. However, in early 2007 Aruze publicly announced dissolving Nautilus and various creative members have since left the company and founded feelplus.

Basically Aruze acquired Sacnoth from SNK. Changed it to Nautilius - an internal studio, and promptly killed it when Sakaguchi split from Square to go work with him. But given the amount of talent and genius there, I highly doubt they'll be making games for Sakaguchi much longer as their fanbase is almost ASSUREDLY on the DS, PSP, Wii, and PS3. Basically every system that ISN'T the 360. That said, I don't know how firm a grip Sakaguchi has on them.

In fact, making an RPG on the 360 is practically a license to fail. Don't ask me how that happened. I don't have an answer for you, but man, do RPGs lose any heart they have once they hit that system. Which I suppose might be developer sabotage, even Eternal Sonata came out for the 360 gutted of a main character option and a shitload of story only to be announced later for the PS3 with all of that content.

Edit: Researched a bit more:

feelplus is a Japanese video game developer that was created by Microsoft Game Studios specificially to aid Mistwalker in video game development. It is comprised of former employees of Nautilus. So far they have released one game, with another in development.

That's interesting and really fucking saddening. Like, totally. But I suppose they're guaranteed funding this way.

Edit 2: Wikipedia is wrong. According to the home page, they're owned by AQ Interactive, which also owns Cavia (Bullet Witch) and Artoon (Vampire Rain [total shit] and Blue Dragon [Sakaguchi masturbatory bullshit]). Interestingly enough, AQ Interactive also owns XSeed, a US branch that fancies itself the next Atlus and is made up of a bunch of ex Squeenix US guys.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 09:44:43 PM by schild »
Mazakiel
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: May 06, 2008, 06:52:47 AM

Well, that sure as hell sucks.  Good to know, though. 
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #48 on: May 06, 2008, 05:20:33 PM

Speaking of RPG/JP stuff on the 360, how was Lost Odyssey, really?

Also, how is the upcoming Atlus stuff on the 360 looking? I played the Operation Darkness demo, and it's balls.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: May 08, 2008, 07:05:23 AM

Speaking of RPG/JP stuff on the 360, how was Lost Odyssey, really?

Also, how is the upcoming Atlus stuff on the 360 looking? I played the Operation Darkness demo, and it's balls.

Lost Oddysey was pretty good. It's a railroad fest like 90% of JRPGs. You have pretty much zero freedom until the last disc. But it has an interesting story. That said, there's not much that stands out about it in comparison to Final Fantasy. Good graphics. Good gameplay. A minimum of grinding IMO. Also, save points and no save anywhere option. On a weird note, one of the "hot" female characters has what looks like blue veins in her cleavage. I found it very distracting since her cleavage is very prominent any time she's in a cutscene.

I don't know much about upcoming Atlus stuff on the 360, I'm sure Schild will have some info on that however.

schild
Administrator

Reply #50 on: May 08, 2008, 07:07:03 AM

Well, Atlus Japan has very little (nothing?) to do with the 360? Atlus is just localizing some stuff due to the popularity of the 360 in America. As such, if you're looking for a Persona or SMT to show up on the 360 or some Flight Plan game, just keep waiting. You're gonna need to get a PS3.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #51 on: May 08, 2008, 07:29:16 AM

I got bored with Lost Odyssey on the last disc.  The fights take way too long once you're overpowered and want to be done with them in seconds between loading times and ridiculously long combat animations (thanks, ring system!)

Of course, it might also have something to do with my 360 constantly telling me that my disc is dirty.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #52 on: May 15, 2008, 06:48:03 PM

After spending a few hours with the original campaign and becoming simultaneously bored/frustrated with Tartarus, I decided to try the new chapter out.  I'm about 2 hours in now and am loving it.  Although I know it's a lot of the same as before, the new story is intriguing and that's keeping me going for now.  But damn if it isn't still a hard game to play.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: May 16, 2008, 05:29:56 AM

After spending a few hours with the original campaign and becoming simultaneously bored/frustrated with Tartarus, I decided to try the new chapter out.  I'm about 2 hours in now and am loving it.  Although I know it's a lot of the same as before, the new story is intriguing and that's keeping me going for now.  But damn if it isn't still a hard game to play.

Warning: The new chapter won't have as much meaning or relevance to you if you don't play the original game to it's conclusion. I find it interesting you got bored with Tarturus but are enjoying the new chapter since it is basically nothing but a Tarturus-like dungeon.

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #54 on: May 16, 2008, 05:40:44 AM

Oh, I played the original already.  It's re-playing it that got boring.  Otherwise I'd be eating it up all over again!
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: May 16, 2008, 06:57:40 AM

Oh, I played the original already.  It's re-playing it that got boring.  Otherwise I'd be eating it up all over again!

Oh. Ok. :) I replayed the original mostly for the improved bits. Aegis's S-link alone made it worth it for me since it gave me more insight into her.

I'm in the next to last door in the add-on and am enjoying it myself. I think I have one more boss in that door then I'll be on the home sprint for totally finishing the add-on. I think the thing I like the most about this add-on is the insight into the characters you get with each cut-scene.

The thing I dislike the most is how Yukari has come across in some of the conversations.

Tet
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: May 18, 2008, 11:57:33 PM

The thing I dislike the most is how Yukari has come across in some of the conversations.

Oh ok, it isn't just me then. Finished the main part, in about 5 minutes into FES and already sick of her.
The way she says "Let's get this over with" had me looking for the dialog option "We're sorry that the fight for our survival is so inconvenient for you you dumb bitch.  Maybe next time we'll be able to sync it up better with your schedule." Probably for the best this one doesn't have a social link.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: May 19, 2008, 06:12:33 AM

Oh ok, it isn't just me then. Finished the main part, in about 5 minutes into FES and already sick of her.
The way she says "Let's get this over with" had me looking for the dialog option "We're sorry that the fight for our survival is so inconvenient for you you dumb bitch.  Maybe next time we'll be able to sync it up better with your schedule." Probably for the best this one doesn't have a social link.

I've now finished the Answer. All I'll say is you do find out why she is acting that way towards the end. Alot of fans seem to be split on it. I actually like it and think she's being realistic under the circumstances when you take into account her history and that she's a teenage girl.

I found the ending to be a bittersweet and nice finale.

Lum
Developers

Hellfire Games

Reply #58 on: May 19, 2008, 04:36:35 PM

Is there a walkthough online anywhere for the Answer? My tolerance for S-Link-free fusions and randomly immune bosses is low.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #59 on: May 19, 2008, 05:26:10 PM

First boss fight = WTF?  What's up with them consistently dodging spells and then raping me?
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: May 20, 2008, 05:48:05 AM

It's a pain. I managed to finish the whole game with Metis, Yukari, and Mitsuri. If I have any hints it is to take Metis with you for the entire game. In fact, they should have made her a required party member because if not, you can get hardcore screwed at the end of the game.

I made a Surt to get Ragnorak and an Odin to get Thunder Reign and the game got easier. Sadly, alot of the boss fights do come down to luck. Boss dodges the attack he's weak to 4 times in a row? You're dead. If you hit a few times, you probably win. I also found that leveling seems to be more important in the Answer than in the Journey, especially since Fusion spells don't work. I generally leveled until the XPs dropped too much for my tastes, or some of the shadows started running from me when I got close. Then the boss fights were pieces of cake. That said, I was only level 76 when I finished the Answer.

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #61 on: May 20, 2008, 07:56:12 AM

I noticed that on the blue guys in the first fight my fire spells missed less if I went from right to left on them.  Probably just me being superstitious.  I did finally beat them yesterday, though.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #62 on: June 03, 2008, 09:44:33 PM

Changing the deadline for Elizabeth's requests was a tad evil.  Now I can't cheese them!

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #63 on: June 04, 2008, 07:12:41 AM

Trying to beat the 14th floor boss at level 5 while tired is BLARG!

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #64 on: August 17, 2008, 12:27:32 AM

I thought I'd drop in and point out I've spent like $1k to play this game.  Which is to say, I wouldn't own a PS3 and a 24" WS monitor if not for playing my lil bro's copy.  Because like, fuck it, its so damn shithot awesome.  I'm also going to listen to Schild more often.  I didn't want to post this, but not posting it would be unfair...   I feel bad for FFXII which is what I think I may follow this with...

For real, if you EVER enjoyed a JRPG in your life, even just watching one over a friend's shoulder.  GO BUY THIS NOW.  NOW NOW NOW.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Strazos

Reply #65 on: August 19, 2008, 03:43:14 PM

To be fair, FFXII prolly has a better battle system.

But the story, I am told, sucks balls.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
schild
Administrator

Reply #66 on: August 19, 2008, 03:44:57 PM

But the story, I am told, sucks balls.

That's because FFXII is Star Wars. And Star Wars sucked balls.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #67 on: August 19, 2008, 05:11:01 PM

The first four or five hours of FFXII are absolutely epic.  And then it gets mundane.
Strazos

Reply #68 on: August 19, 2008, 06:08:18 PM

I'm even told the love interest-type storyline simply evaporates.

Idiots; nerds lap that shit up.

Fear the Backstab!
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #69 on: August 19, 2008, 09:20:45 PM

Actually, I was kind of glad that they didn't railroad a love story in XII.  It was unnecessary.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: Review: Persona 3 Fes  
Jump to: