Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:29:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Bard's Tale Leakage? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bard's Tale Leakage?  (Read 5915 times)
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

on: October 23, 2004, 05:09:28 PM

http://gamesdomain.yahoo.com/article/49719

"Interactive entertainment developer and publisher inXile entertainment today announced that it is considering some form of leak of The Bard's Tale, its eagerly anticipated action-role playing game (RPG), as a strategic plan to follow a growing trend among Triple A games."

I can't tell if this article is a joke or not. Still it is a smart marketing move for an indie studio to make if they were to do something like that. 487 articles on "Halo 2" on Google News and I'm sure any game company wouldn't mind that kind of free press. If fact it seems kind of stupid *not* to pre-leak your own game and then huff and puff about piracy.

Until the media wises up to the trick that is.
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #1 on: October 23, 2004, 05:28:29 PM

Quote from: Krakrok
I can't tell if this article is a joke or not.

Is English your native tongue?

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: October 23, 2004, 05:45:11 PM

Quote from: Righ

No, I speak Bocce, why do you ask?
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: October 23, 2004, 06:28:15 PM

I can't tell if this article is a joke or not.

From the article in question:

The Bard's Tale is a highly original game in the same category as a Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, Half-Life 2 and Halo 2

That should be your best clue right there.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #4 on: October 23, 2004, 08:40:03 PM

You speak Italian lawn bowling?

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
schild
Administrator

Reply #5 on: October 23, 2004, 08:43:33 PM

Quote from: Signe

?
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: October 23, 2004, 08:45:04 PM

Bocce is the language 3p0 is asked if he speaks in the first Star Wars movie.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
schild
Administrator

Reply #7 on: October 23, 2004, 08:47:19 PM

Quote from: Riggswolfe
Bocce is the language 3p0 is asked if he speaks in the first Star Wars movie.

7. Star Wars
Public Humiliation: 82.1%
Before the lame-ass new Star Wars movies, we might have let it go if we saw a Lando Calrissian or an Ewok waiting in line for a movie. Not anymore. Anyone disguised as a Jedi in this day and age had better have been helped into that costume by a caregiver assigned by the state to assist their special needs. Related Trivia Fact: Admiral Ackbar is the guy with the fish head from Return of the Jedi that screams things like, “Shorshenblorg borshchortle!”
Damage to Sex Life: 54.6%
Dressing like Darth Vader creates a number of sexual obstacles. First you have to find someone who doesn’t mind dating the dark lord of geeks, and from this point on the sentence is moot since you won’t, and then they have to safely be able to dig their way through your codpiece of cybernetic space enhancements. Impossible. Plus, the speech that Darth Vader gave to Natalie Portman in Episode II (about how she was so great because she wasn’t like sand) is going to hang over the heads of evil single Jedi for generations. On the other hand, the strict moral code of the good Jedi prevents them from touching naked women with anything other than a light saber. And that, of course, would kill them. On the third hand, I have this theory I’ve been meaning to test that jumping into a room naked and screaming like Chewbacca would be super erotic. Keep in mind, however, that my last theory, “Wouldn’t it be sweet if these were like, FLYING condoms?” went largely ignored by the sex community.

Distinguishing Characteristics: Overweight, casually strolling into the center of the room, and then when you least expect it, bursting into a blinding Jedi combat storm with a golf ball retriever.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: October 23, 2004, 08:51:24 PM

See my reply in that thread. I'm 60%-80% nerd according to that article. Quite depressing. Especially since I don't have the money that is supposed to go with nerd-dom. Instead I'm doing a tech support job. Damn IT industry.

Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: October 23, 2004, 09:18:53 PM

Quote from: schild

I only have 1 and it's collectibe card games, and only on the net.

5. Collectible Card Games
Public Humiliation: 96.8%
Damage to Sex Life: 89.3%

Quiet, jealous one.
schild
Administrator

Reply #10 on: October 23, 2004, 09:24:56 PM

Not quite the same as collecting the paper cards, going to shops to play and having binders full of them. I can keep it a dirty little secret.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #11 on: October 23, 2004, 10:22:31 PM

Thanks, Riggs... although, I have no idea why someone would ask a robot if he speaks Italian lawn bowling.  I guess I just don't get science fiction stuff.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: October 23, 2004, 10:36:02 PM

Thanks, Riggs... although, I have no idea why someone would ask a robot if he speaks Italian lawn bowling.  I guess I just don't get science fiction stuff.

Somehow I doubt George Lucas knew that Bocce actually meant something.

AOFanboi
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: October 24, 2004, 03:31:10 AM

Is bocce necessarily the same as boccia?

Current: Mario Kart DS, Nintendogs
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #14 on: October 24, 2004, 09:16:28 AM

Quote from: AOFanboi

Is bocce necessarily the same as boccia?

My grandfather played bocce a lot.  I hadn't heard of boccia before.  Boccia seems to be similiar but mostly played by people with disabilities.  Something about the balls not being biased or something.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: October 24, 2004, 10:47:06 AM

Not quite the same as collecting the paper cards, going to shops to play and having binders full of them. I can keep it a dirty little secret.

I'm not sure you get a pass from nerdishness just because you collect imaginary cards on teh internet.

At least the guys with the paper cards have to go outside.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
schild
Administrator

Reply #16 on: October 24, 2004, 11:51:04 AM

Quote from: eldaec
At least the guys with the paper cards have to go outside.

Yes, and show the world they are playing with little pieces of cardboard. MtGO is at least closer to something like Counterstrike than Pokemon, the collectible card game. I'm not saying it's not nerdy. I'm just saying by having it be a private thing it's nowhere near the stigma one gets from going to a comic book store to play with cards.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: October 24, 2004, 02:46:08 PM

Playing online smells better. QED.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: October 25, 2004, 05:47:39 AM

That depends....

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #19 on: October 25, 2004, 06:05:47 AM

It won't in a few years.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: October 25, 2004, 07:17:21 AM

Quote from: Riggswolfe

Somehow I doubt George Lucas knew that Bocce actually meant something.

Im sure he'll find a way to change that dialogue and rerelease the DVD again..

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #21 on: October 25, 2004, 10:00:19 AM

Pirated or unauthorized playable game code would not actually be made available over the internet intentionally, but would somehow leak out. But the full version of the game could be attained by game enthusiasts at major retail outlets as early as October 26th 2004, or October 19th online for those brave enough to risk a virus in the search for warez.

Fixed it for them.

Dodger_
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: October 25, 2004, 11:39:06 AM

Yes, and show the world they are playing with little pieces of cardboard. MtGO is at least closer to something like Counterstrike than Pokemon, the collectible card game.

Do you realize that this makes MtGO sound worse?  Stop digging before you can't climb out and revel in all your nerd-dom vices. :)
Ardent
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: October 26, 2004, 02:04:09 PM

The reviews are in:

IGN: 8.2
Gamespot: 6.7 (ouch)

Quote from: Gamespot
The Bard's Tale has some genuinely good ideas, but much of its execution falls short. The funny stuff isn't as funny as it needs to be, and at its apex it's just kind of amusing. The straight high-fantasy stuff it employs is actually pretty good, and the game might've even been better if it had played it straight all the way through. The core hack-and-slash stuff is solid, and the changes it makes to the genre's formula, though not entirely successful, do help give the game a bit of its own personality. It's certainly not an out-and-out failure, but in light of the legacy created by its namesake and the previous landmarks in the genre, The Bard's Tale is a disappointment.

Um, never mind.
Daeven
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: October 26, 2004, 02:10:11 PM

Synopsis of the Gamespot review: "This game wasn't as good as our recollection of the orginal, so we marked it down'.

Did I miss anything?

Off to read other reviews to see if it is worth my time.

"There is a technical term for someone who confuses the opinions of a character in a book with those of the author. That term is idiot." -SMStirling

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: October 26, 2004, 02:13:29 PM

The original is still fun..well with all the maps it is.:P

fire horn, fire horn, fire horn!

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Bard's Tale Leakage?  
Jump to: