Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:59:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Game Design/Development  |  Topic: 38 Studios: Look! A press release with MOORGARD's name in it! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 38 Studios: Look! A press release with MOORGARD's name in it!  (Read 11000 times)
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

on: April 22, 2008, 03:06:33 PM

38 Studios' Design Team Expands
Travis McGeathy joins Steve Danuser and Jason Roberts.

April 22, 2008 - Continuing to attract top industry talent, 38 Studios, a pioneering entertainment company dedicated to delivering a broad spectrum of entertainment products, today announced the expansion of its industry-renowned design team with the appointment of Travis McGeathy as systems design lead. Travis hails from Sony Online Entertainment and joins his former SOE co-workers at 38 Studios, Jason Roberts and Steve Danuser, who have been laying the groundwork in IP and game development in year one at the studio.

"38 Studios already boasts some heavy-hitting, pop-culture names with R. A. Salvatore and Todd McFarlane," said Brett Close, CEO and President of 38 Studios. "In addition to these visionaries, 38 Studios is extremely proud of the well-known and highly respected designers, artists, and engineers we've attracted. Having Travis, Jason, and Steve as the nucleus of our design team adds further credibility within the industry, strengthening our commitment to deploying a first-rate MMOG, and ensuring fans that we have the skill and experience to deliver an Online Entertainment Experience like no other."

As systems design lead, McGeathy, known as "Rashere" in the online gaming community, will oversee the team responsible for creating the innovative gameplay mechanics that will bring to life the MMOG codenamed "Copernicus." At SOE, he held the position of lead designer on EverQuest and was responsible for the overall creative direction of the product and management of its design team.

Danuser, also known as "Moorgard" in the online world, joined 38 Studios in 2006 as the director of community development and lead content designer. He is establishing the foundation of 38 Studios' community while directing creative development of the company's upcoming MMOG. At SOE, he was the original community manager for EverQuest II, founding and maintaining one of the strongest and most vibrant communities in the MMOG space. He later moved into the role of designer and contributed to expansion packs and live updates, including the popular Echoes of Faydwer.

Design director Jason Roberts oversees the creative and technical operations of the 38 Studios design department, ensuring that both gameplay systems and creative content meld into a cohesive and entertaining experience. Prior to joining 38 Studios in 2007, he was lead designer of EverQuest II, providing guidance to the development process of three expansions and three adventure packs, including Desert of Flames, Kingdom of Sky and Echoes of Faydwer.

About 38 Studios

38 Studios, a media and entertainment company founded in 2006 by Curt Schilling, is in pre-production on an original fantasy IP driven by the creative and artistic visions of pop-culture icons R. A. Salvatore and Todd McFarlane. Entertainment products will include a massively immersive Online Entertainment Experience that transcends the traditional MMOG genre, novels, comics, toys, movies, TV, and more. For more information, visit http://www.38studios.com.

Source

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 09:54:16 PM

HEAVY-HITTING
POP-CULTURE
NAMES

I really really really badly want to know if they know how arrogant, douchebaggy, and elitist that sounds.

Seriously.

Fuck.

Anger.
SuperPopTart
Terracotta Army

I am damn cute for a stubby shortling.

Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 09:47:15 AM

I like the term "Visionaries".

I am Super, I am a Pop Tart.
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 11:17:11 AM

« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 10:49:03 AM by JWIV »
WayAbvPar

Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 10:34:50 AM

When are they releasing trading cards? I want an RA Salvatore rookie card.

To poop on.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 10:41:32 AM

HEAVY-HITTING
POP-CULTURE
NAMES

Dude, that was the second paragraph. By the last paragraph they were fucking ICONS.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
schild
Administrator

Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 02:50:28 PM

HEAVY-HITTING
POP-CULTURE
NAMES

Dude, that was the second paragraph. By the last paragraph they were fucking ICONS.

You got that far?
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: April 27, 2008, 09:23:16 PM

Entertainment products will include a massively immersive Online Entertainment Experience that transcends the traditional MMOG genre, novels, comics, toys, movies, TV, and more.

Getting a little ahead of ourselves aren't we?

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #8 on: April 28, 2008, 09:09:25 AM

Novels, Comics, Toys I can see them easily doing as McFarlane and Salvatore already have outlets for that.  Movies? Sure, they'll probably start their own production company and push out a movie.

It's the TV part where I think they're really reaching.  Sure, McFarlane had the Spawn 'toon on HBO, but if this IP flops it's not like HBO's been hurting for content enough to want to toss any old thing out there.  They did Spawn because it was popular at the time. Notice it went away after the godawful movie.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #9 on: April 30, 2008, 06:28:14 AM

I'm hoping they create the first MMO with smell. 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
SuperPopTart
Terracotta Army

I am damn cute for a stubby shortling.

Reply #10 on: April 30, 2008, 06:54:26 AM

Entertainment products will include a massively immersive Online Entertainment Experience that transcends the traditional MMOG genre, novels, comics, toys, movies, TV, and more.

Getting a little ahead of ourselves aren't we?

Wow I didn't even see that part.

If it will include what already exists how can it transcend beyond what there is already..

I am Super, I am a Pop Tart.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: May 01, 2008, 03:17:07 PM

I am always wary of companies working on their first product who are already dreaming up 3 sequels, licensing deals, etc. It smacks of the kind of stuff you read on amateur game dev forums.

Now in this case it might make some sense, at least the toys part, since it is McFarlane. But still, how about making one good game first?

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: May 01, 2008, 11:37:00 PM

I'm hoping they create the first MMO with smell. 

It could work, but the player reactions will be something like this:

38 Studios counting their chickens makes me wonder how good the product will be. Viral growth or natural progression into other forms media and merchandising is one thing, but this sounds like it's already being forced... Remo Williams, Buckaroo Banzai and The Golden Compass were created in that mold and no one has thought about them in years.  :P

Well, I think Darniaq brought up Remo Williams in a thread some time last year.

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: May 03, 2008, 06:09:11 AM

38 Studios already boasts some heavy-hitting, pop-culture names with R. A. Salvatore and Todd McFarlane

Where's that Heavy Hitters image from the thread for good-ol'-whatshisname?
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: May 03, 2008, 07:40:08 PM

Buckaroo Banzai was awesome though.

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: May 04, 2008, 06:15:05 AM

I actually just WATCHED that last week. And that damned theme song has been stuck in my head nigh on 20 years at least. So plinky. MIDI in the days before MIDI.

And Remo Williams... what can be said? Tried to watch that again recently. Only real redeeming part was Kate Mulgrow getting that wrist slap from Chin. Wish he was on Voyager.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Game Design/Development  |  Topic: 38 Studios: Look! A press release with MOORGARD's name in it!  
Jump to: