Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:28:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elder Scrolls: Oblivion 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Elder Scrolls: Oblivion  (Read 5142 times)
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

on: October 22, 2004, 07:37:09 PM

I don't know how many of you played and enjoyed Morrowind but it would seem that they are making another in the series. It looks intriquing, though like many of you I've learned to be suspicious when devs promise to much.

Links:

Gamespy

IGN

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #1 on: October 22, 2004, 09:11:23 PM

It is likely to be good, not simply because Bethesda are an above-average development shop, but also because time is on their side. This one is slated to be a launch title for Xenon (aka Xbox 2). There are some stunning full-page graphics in the 12 page lead article in last month's GameInformer (that's a periodical paper imprint for those unfamiliar with the medium).

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: October 22, 2004, 09:13:24 PM

Wish I had a copy of that. I love their games don't get me wrong. They always ship full of bugs but they're fun. I will say this looks to correct one of my major gripes with their games which is the NPCs. If they come close to living up to their promises the NPCs will be much more interesting than past offers.

In fact, I've been considering reinstalling Morrowind and downloading a few gigs or so of the mods and going for it. I hear you can play for months.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #3 on: October 22, 2004, 09:19:26 PM

I really liked the idea of Morrowind, and have copies on the PC and X-Box. Once it gets down to actually playing it though, I'm not so thrilled.

I'll give it a chance every once in a while, because I like exploring, and know there's fun to be found somewhere in there. I just can't get over how freakin' lame the combat is. It just flat out sucks. Either for melee, ranged, or spellcasting.

They wouldn't even need to bring many new ideas to another Elder Scrolls game for me to play it. Just a better combat system would do (Which it sounds like they're doing). Preferably, third person (though telling from the screenshots, it doesn't look like it'll be that way). FPS/Melee is awkward as hell and never fun.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: October 22, 2004, 09:37:40 PM

What I hated were the damn cliffracers. I couldn't take a step without one of those little buggers divebombing me. Luckily I got a mod that made them non-aggressive along with those irritating little fish and it's like a whole new game.

WonderBrick
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: October 22, 2004, 11:54:55 PM

I really enjoyed Morrowind.  It came so close to becoming my favorite game.  

I agree that the NPCs represented the worst aspect of the game, acting as little more then motionless computer-terminal quest generators.  I have read that there are some good mods that breath life into the NPCs, and the world at large.  I have been away from Morrowind for so long, that I think I might have to install some of those mods, and begin from scratch, instead of saved games.

Here are two links someone else posted in another forum.  I have yet to fully explore either.

Link1
Link2

Someone suggested...

"Morrowind Comes Alive", "Morrowind Enhanced" (many plugins actually, improving combat and other stuff) and "Necessities of Morrowind".

"Please dont confuse roleplaying with rollplaying. Thanks."   -Shannow

"Just cuz most MMO use the leveling treadmill doesn't mean I have to lower my "fun standards" to the common acceptance. Simply put, I'm not gonna do that."  -I flyin high
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: October 23, 2004, 12:59:45 AM

Morrowind enhanced if memory serves ups the difficulty of most mobs in the game. I don't want that simply because I find Morrowind combat to be difficult for some reason.

Also, I'd suggest Morrowind Summit. They have around 3500 or so mods.

A mod I enjoyed alot was Children of the Night. It is buggy as hell so you'll need to know some console commands once or twice, but has a cool storyline. There is a part 1 and a part 2. However, do NOT install part 2 with a new game, it screws things up. Also, there is supposed to be a part 3 coming though the cynic in me suspects that won't happen.

Calantus
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: October 23, 2004, 01:14:15 AM

Yay!

Loved Morrowind, thus will just have to get this. I like to reward good games with buying any sequel that comes down the pike and isn't called shit by the faithful (I'm looking at you Deus Ex 2).

One question... why oh why would you ever buy this on an Xbox? That is a rhetorical question though, so don't bother answering. :P

I couldn't be bothered looking at the previews or features or whatever they are, it's just never worth it this early IMO. These days I mostly care about word of mouth on games either out or close.
Liquidator
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: October 23, 2004, 01:27:31 AM

Quote from: Calantus

One question... why oh why would you ever buy this on an Xbox? That is a rhetorical question though, so don't bother answering. :P

Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that Oblivion is being developed for "next-generation" consoles i.e X-Box 2.  Regardless, this is a title that I can hardly wait for.  I've loved the Elder Scrolls series for as long as it has been a product, although granted there were issues with both Daggerfall and Morrowind, they were still quality RPGs.

WonderBrick
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: October 23, 2004, 05:10:20 AM

I bought Morrowind for the XBox, because the PC version was not yet availabe at the time.  It was worth it to me, since I turned my XBox version into a rampant kill-spree, while I played like I wanted on the PC version.  I then gave away my XBox version to a friend, so they could enjoy it.  Buying two copies was easy to do, with a game that good.  It was the least I could do to show my support.  :)

"Just cuz most MMO use the leveling treadmill doesn't mean I have to lower my "fun standards" to the common acceptance. Simply put, I'm not gonna do that."  -I flyin high
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: October 23, 2004, 06:52:09 AM

I'm officially back in BethSoft fanbois mode.  I've played all the elder scrolls stuff starting with Arena and I've always been very happy with them because when they dream they dream BIG.

The gamespy article says that Oblivion will actually be larger than Morrowind (Which is contrary to what I had heard through the rumor mill) but will feel smaller due to enhanced travel options.

If the game can maintain the quality shown in those screenies (most games end up reducing quality as they close in on release to improve performce for joe average) it will be incredible.  The fact that they claim thier building the game entirely within the next gen version of the construction set, which they will release with the game, is just added bonus.  The morrowind mod community is already very strong, and I can image some of what they'll do with a next gen engine thats fully moddable with a well documented and robust modding interface.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: October 23, 2004, 03:47:21 PM

I too am quite excited about Oblivion. On another note, I wonder how they'll handle the Fallout license. Fallout is all about quirky NPCs and situations and Bethsheda isn't the greatest at NPCs.

I am seriously considering modding up Morrowind and playing again. Some of the mods make it into almost a new game.

geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

The Anne Coulter of MMO punditry

Reply #12 on: October 24, 2004, 11:44:51 AM

Poor Morrowind, it was cut somewhat short of it's protential by a premature release.   It's evident in things such as the way they presented the musical score (just streamed it all in with a loop with no real game event influence despite there being a mechanism for doing so in the editor).   The way everybody's open 24/7 (one of the cool features of Daggerfall is that time mattered).   Overabundance of cliff divers.    Iffyiness of sneaking and stealing.    Ect.

Also, the entire Elder Scrolls series had a somewhat overly simplistic meleeing system.    Just swing away with your mouse until the mob goes down.    The original Elder Scrolls:Arena and Daggerfall made things a little interesting by incorperating a slight damage and accuracy mods depending on which direction you swung the weapon, but Morrowind tore that out and instead made it so the only thing swinging the weapon in different directions did was make it so you inflict varying amount of damage.   With only one "best" way of swinging each weapon.

Here's hoping that Oblivion actually takes a step forward beyond the graphics.

Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: October 24, 2004, 12:29:57 PM

Quote from: WonderBrick
I bought Morrowind for the XBox, because the PC version was not yet availabe at the time.  It was worth it to me, since I turned my XBox version into a rampant kill-spree, while I played like I wanted on the PC version.  I then gave away my XBox version to a friend, so they could enjoy it.  Buying two copies was easy to do, with a game that good.  It was the least I could do to show my support.  :)

???

If memory serves me, the PC version came out first and then the XBox version was released, ummm, when the XBox first came out... after the release of Morrowind. But I'm just nit picking. Who cares what platform you play it on... just as long as its available for all of them.

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
Jacob0883
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: October 25, 2004, 07:43:03 AM

I really enjoyed Morrowind.  I wish they would have released  the expansions on XBOX.  Would it be worth buying the CPU pack for 30 bucks to try out the expansions?
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #15 on: October 25, 2004, 08:11:01 AM

I'm not thrilled about the game being designed around the consoles first. That's a recipe for disaster in my book. Of course, I hate ports. I know PC gaming is becoming more and more niche, but dammit, if you are going to make a game for the PC I want more attention paid to it than how you can translate the code.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: October 25, 2004, 08:44:38 AM

Where did you hear that it's being designed for consoles first?

I think they said it's being designed for PC and Xbox2/PS3 simultaneously, and somewhere in the announcement on the official site they've also said that the devs are using the (PC only) Construction Set to actually build the world, so I assume it won't be a port.

Regarding the game, I know it's too early to judge, but I hope they don't go with the Guildwars "glow" they seem to have included in the early screenshots, I personally hate it.  We'll see when they release more screenshots.

The game should be good, can't wait to see how it turns out.
WayAbvPar

Reply #17 on: October 25, 2004, 10:17:53 AM

Dug Daggerfall, and LOVED Morrowind (cliff racers aside). Not sure I like the dual console/PC development, but it seems to be a necessary evil these days.

This part has me a bit worried as well-

It's amazing how many people played Morrowind and said (to us), 'Why is my character missing when he swings? The enemy is right there!,' or 'Why did that guy see me? I thought I was hiding.'"

Catering to this crowd is a BAD, BAD thing. Making combat more twitchy but also incorporating stats just seems like the worst of both worlds to me.

From Righ's sig-
They do say, that verbal insults hurt more than physical pain. They are, of course, wrong, as you will soon discover when I stick this toasting fork in your head.

Classic. Love me some BlackAdder.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #18 on: October 25, 2004, 10:18:11 AM

Quote from: ajax34i
Where did you hear that it's being designed for consoles first?

Quote from: Gamespy
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is being designed around the Xbox 2 (and the PS3, although the company could not officially confirm any platform besides the PC).

The wording there was what I took to mean, "We'll port it over when we feel like it you mouse-using cavemen."

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Otis
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: October 25, 2004, 11:13:12 AM

Quote from: Jacob0883
I really enjoyed Morrowind.  I wish they would have released  the expansions on XBOX.  

It sounds like you missed this.
WonderBrick
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: October 25, 2004, 11:17:25 AM

If memory serves me, the PC version came out first and then the XBox version was released, ummm, when the XBox first came out... after the release of Morrowind. But I'm just nit picking. Who cares what platform you play it on... just as long as its available for all of them.

It may have just been availibility in my neighborhood(Walmart).  I specificly try to buy PC version over XBox versions(except for controller friendly games like Splinter Cell).  In a struggling(compared to consoles) PC gaming market, I like voting with my dollar for PC every chance I get.  :)

And amen to choice.

Also, the entire Elder Scrolls series had a somewhat overly simplistic meleeing system. Just swing away with your mouse until the mob goes down. The original Elder Scrolls:Arena and Daggerfall made things a little interesting by incorperating a slight damage and accuracy mods depending on which direction you swung the weapon, but Morrowind tore that out and instead made it so the only thing swinging the weapon in different directions did was make it so you inflict varying amount of damage. With only one "best" way of swinging each weapon.

Here's hoping that Oblivion actually takes a step forward beyond the graphics.

In the above links, they go into detail about how they are going to revamp the combat, allowing more player skill(for example, manuel shield blocking), and still allow the aspect of numbers to play a part of the process.  Infact, their approach is exactly how I would like to see more MMORPGs take.  I haven't had time to detail their approach here, in some of the MMORPG discussion threads, about numbers vs player skill.

I really enjoyed Morrowind. I wish they would have released the expansions on XBOX. Would it be worth buying the CPU pack for 30 bucks to try out the expansions?

The expansions are availble on XBox(last I heard) on a Game of the Year edition.  It is worth it, imo, because they make minor tweaks, including a better, revamped journal, that includes better quest management.

edit:  ack  Otis already covered this.

It's amazing how many people played Morrowind and said (to us), 'Why is my character missing when he swings? The enemy is right there!,' or 'Why did that guy see me? I thought I was hiding.'"

Catering to this crowd is a BAD, BAD thing. Making combat more twitchy but also incorporating stats just seems like the worst of both worlds to me.

IMO, this finally finds the perfect medium I have been looking for all along.  Numbers still play a large part of the combat, but no longer will it be mind-numbingly simplistic combat interaction and hard numbers clashing.  If I am a unskilled warrior(numberwise), that is still reflected, even though I can now attempt to manuelly block with shield, and aim my sword in the right direction.  Also, this eliminates some silly side effects of the current numbers approach: multiple creatures ganging up on you, and your shield skill is auto-checked for every blow, creating crazy parry rates.  This is also true of other games that also use the numbers approach, instead of manuel/skill system.

I hope people find they enjoy this approach, and that it is not the pure-skill, pure-twitch approach that so many seem to read into it and dread.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elder Scrolls: Oblivion  
Jump to: