Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 07:53:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: EQ2 to ship on Nov 8th 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: EQ2 to ship on Nov 8th  (Read 17600 times)
schild
Administrator

Reply #35 on: October 22, 2004, 04:38:49 PM

Quote from: jpark
1.  Do we agree that with the changes announced recently these are major changes to the game as we have come to understand it in the past?

The changes, while being played off as a big deal, aren't. I would bet cold, hard cash that most of them are just +'s to strength and what not. Total smokescreen to make the system seem like more than it is - I'm not worried about them breaking or making gameplay. The racial hunting thing where you get a special attack has been in and out during various points in beta. This is just the first public mention of it.

2.  Do you agree that Wow is EQ1.5 and graphics aside, has executed well on that mandate?

I think I said 1.25 or 1.3 in another thread, but sure, 1.5. Which means there's a 98.5% chance I won't buy it unless a free copy is thrown my way with a free account attached to it.

3.  If you believe this game to be in good shape - would it be fair to say you expect a relatively smooth launch that attracts former players and new ones back to the franchize?

That's guaranteed. The advertising campaign is enormous. Launch day will be hell...well maybe not, I think Halo 2 and HL2 will cause more damage to WoW and EQ2 than they think.

#3 is the kicker - arguments aside - if the guys ranting are right - of which I am one - this launch will be a big disappointment.

Both WoW and EQ2 are pretty much crap. One sounds better and is more immersive than the other. One is a shorter more colorful grind. Pick your flavor. They both look the same when they come out the other end.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #36 on: October 22, 2004, 04:57:14 PM

Quote from: Sky
Dear EBgames.com Customer,

Thanks for pre-ordering from EBgames.com!  As an added benefit to ordering from us, we’ll keep you informed of ship date changes. We are writing to let you know that the publisher has set a new ship date for Everquest 2 of November, 8th 2004. As always, EBgames.com will not charge your credit card until we ship your order.

Translation: We really should not have dropped our NDA. Once we finish installing all the new server hardware we're shipping the game before more people get wind of how bad the game is.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #37 on: October 22, 2004, 05:18:00 PM

The fact is, the game ISN'T bad.  It's not great, it's nothing new, but it's not bad.  I think many people will be happy with it.  I do have a feeling, as some have suggested, that WoW may get more subscribers initially, but EQ2 will keep more, in the long run.

I really do think, also, that HL2 might present a problem to both games.  A lot of people who will only buy one PC game at a time won't be able to pass it up.  Those addicted to their XBox will go for Halo2, no?

Well, Xmas is around the corner... so who knows?

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
personman
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: October 22, 2004, 07:28:15 PM

Quote from: Ardent
(...) brand-spankin'-new system of spells, skills and racial traits that beta testers have not even seen yet. If the archetype system was so stable, why would they be restructuring it on the verge of release?

Umm.  We have seen this movie repeatedly for almost a decade.  Why will this one particular time be less of a flop then the other umpteen jillion.

/&play Standard_OscarWilde("definition","insanity")
SirBruce
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: October 23, 2004, 01:21:45 AM

You guys are playing a different game.  The game servers are stable?  They're down all the time.  Lagtonica still isn't fixed.  The quests are stable?  I've got about 3 quests that are currently broken, plus numerous others that need adjustment.  Spawns in dungeons are still messed up, solo mobs are missing left and right, there are placeholder names on many of the higher-level continents which have only barely been tested at this point.  This doesn't even address the numerous other bugs in the game, plus areas where the design needs to be revamped (quest system, outdoor maps), and they haven't even introduced the character customizability system yet.

And then once you've done all that, if you're smart you'd still let it run for another month to test your QA procedures (which have failed almost every patch released so far), your CS procedures (which are demonstrably lacking at this point), your system maintenance and DB procedures (again, F on this so far), and spend time optimizing for performance.

Bruce
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

Reply #40 on: October 23, 2004, 08:32:50 AM

Quote from: SirBruce
You guys are playing a different game.  The game servers are stable?  They're down all the time.  Lagtonica still isn't fixed.  The quests are stable?  I've got about 3 quests that are currently broken, plus numerous others that need adjustment.  Spawns in dungeons are still messed up, solo mobs are missing left and right, there are placeholder names on many of the higher-level continents which have only barely been tested at this point.  This doesn't even address the numerous other bugs in the game, plus areas where the design needs to be revamped (quest system, outdoor maps), and they haven't even introduced the character customizability system yet.

Hrm, sounds about like EQ when I started playing, 6 months or so after release.

--
Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: October 23, 2004, 09:19:41 AM

Quote from: Alkiera
Quote from: SirBruce

Hrm, sounds about like EQ when I started playing, 6 months or so after release.

--
Alkiera

Ya but while I did not play then - was the dev team revamping the vision of the game weeks before release?

"I think my brain just shoved its head up its own ass in retaliation.
"  HaemishM.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: October 23, 2004, 09:40:10 AM

Ya but while I did not play then - was the dev team revamping the vision of the game weeks before release?

Oh, no.  they had the vision locked down tight.

But if you mean class distinctions, then yes they were changing them up through the first 18 months the game was live.  Rogues today are nothing like rogues on release.  Most of the classes have seen thier purpose in EQ evolve from what they were at launch and some of them have changed drastically.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: October 23, 2004, 11:00:25 AM

Quote from: Murgos

Oh, no.  they had the vision locked down tight.

But if you mean class distinctions, then yes they were changing them up through the first 18 months the game was live.  Rogues today are nothing like rogues on release.  Most of the classes have seen thier purpose in EQ evolve from what they were at launch and some of them have changed drastically.

Indeed, enchanters didn't have clarity in beta, from what I've heard... originally, bards were the only ones who could aid mana regen.  Now the mana-stat/regen buff is one of the major abilities of the class.

--
Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: October 23, 2004, 02:46:21 PM

I heard it mentioned - cryptically (no pun) - that the faction system is not in EQII yet?  Can this possibly be right?  I thought the whole point behind two "good" and "evil" cities with Betrayal quests and the like was crucial to the setting.

Can anyone comment on whether or not faction systems are in place in EQII?

"  HaemishM.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: October 23, 2004, 04:02:02 PM

I want them to launch as soon as possible. The squawks of outraged fan-boys are my favorite music.

I'm not sure they ever planned a faction system. As I understand it you get ported out by guards of the opposing city. You can do a betrayal quest at L.20 and they stop doing it. So the EQ2 faction system has only two choinces and one chance per character to toggle them.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #46 on: October 23, 2004, 11:02:46 PM

This game is a good while from being ready to launch.  They've been having loads of problems recently as Bruce said.  

This is going to be bad.  Not AO bad. SWG bad.

-Rasix
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: October 23, 2004, 11:48:53 PM

I really must find my copies of Sanjuro and Yojimbo again.

On the other hand I am happy. The SOE fanboys always blamed the SWG launch on lucas arts interference. Wonder who they're going to blame for this one. I also realised how dearly I'd love to read a book chronicling the development of EQ2, I bet there's a real saga behind the scenes.

- Simond
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: October 24, 2004, 07:03:05 AM

Quote from: Kageru
I really must find my copies of Sanjuro and Yojimbo again.

Have you seen some of the stuff Takeshi Kitano (Beat Takeshi) has been doing?  Zatôichi, was pretty good, very similar sort of story to Yojimbo.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #49 on: October 24, 2004, 09:20:40 AM

I guess we can't blame Raph for this one.  :(  It was nice to have someone to bitch at but he seems more interested than involved.  Let's blame that John Smedley bloke instead.  Maybe Raph can convince him to peruse this forum so we can make it personal.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: October 24, 2004, 05:22:15 PM

Smedley's role in EQ2 does seem interesting. It was very odd to see a project manager, as I understand it, defending game mechanics on the boards. It sounded like he had a lot more personal involvement than one might expect. So I'm itching to ascribe management intervention as explaining why EQ2 lacks soul.

- Simond
Liquidator
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: October 25, 2004, 09:24:32 AM

- The 800-Pound Gorilla of Online Gaming is Ready To Play -

SAN DIEGO, Oct. 25 /PRNewswire/ -- Sony Online Entertainment Inc. (SOE), a
worldwide leader in massively multiplayer online (MMO) gaming, today announced
that EverQuest II is scheduled to simultaneously ship to North American and
European retail stores on November 8, 2004.  EverQuest II is the
highly-anticipated follow-up to Sony Online Entertainment's original
EverQuest, the most successful and longest-running 3D MMO role-playing game in
North America.
    "After more than four years in development, the wait for EverQuest II is
almost over," said John Smedley, president, Sony Online Entertainment.  "We've
invested heavily on development of the game to ensure that EverQuest II has
the highest production values of any online game produced to date.  We want to

deliver a game to our players that will provide an experience like nothing
they've ever seen."
    Sony Online Entertainment is delivering a truly groundbreaking MMO game in
EverQuest II with pioneering firsts in advanced 3D graphics, story, voice,
production values, and gameplay.  EverQuest II features the most realistic
graphics of any MMO game ever created with a next-generation 3D graphics
engine designed to keep pace with hardware developed over the next few years.
Players will hear more than 70,000 lines of spoken dialogue in EverQuest II as
non-player characters are given voiceover for the first time ever in an MMO
game bringing the story of EverQuest II to life.  EverQuest II also features
gameplay innovations that make EverQuest II fun and exciting for all types of
players and play styles, from hardcore gamers, to new MMO players, to those
who play in groups, and solo players.
    EverQuest II comes in three versions, all of which include a 30-day
subscription (excluding SOE All Access subscriptions) to the game's online
world.  The CD version and DVD versions of the game carry an SRP of $49.99 and
include the game, an in-game item and an in-box item.
    Limited quantities of the EverQuest II Collector's Edition (DVD) are
available at an SRP of $89.99.  The Collector's Edition includes a number of
in-game items, including "paintings" of EverQuest II scenery to be hung on the
walls of a player's house, magical talking statues of Antonia and Lucan
(voiced by Hollywood talent Heather Graham and Christopher Lee), and an
exclusive pet baby dragon.  The Collector's Edition also includes an exclusive
art book, bonus DVD with trailers, gameplay videos and behind-the-scenes
footage, a soundtrack CD, a collector's coin with a velvet pouch, a cloth map
of Norrath, and two posters.
    EverQuest II carries a monthly subscription fee of $14.99 for continuing
access to the game world.  Players can subscribe using a credit card, or
purchase SOE 30-day and 90-day Game Cards, which open the new world of Norrath
to those who choose not to use a credit card.

About EverQuest II
    EverQuest II is the next generation of massively multiplayer gaming, a
huge online world where thousands of players come together for adventure and
community.  Featuring breathtaking graphics and a vast, beautiful game world
to explore, as well as voices for almost all non-player characters, EverQuest
II sets new standards in gameplay and immersion.  EverQuest II brings players
into its world with a powerful epic storyline and gives them the power to be
the hero or villain in their personal adventure.  Players enter this world by
creating their own unique character, choosing from 16 races and 24 classes.
Players will encounter hundreds of creatures as they travel across majestic
landscapes of rolling hills, barren deserts, dense forests, and bustling
cities.  Thousands of items, hundreds of spells, and unlimited adventure await
all who enter the world of EverQuest II.  EverQuest II also features:

*  A new, massive online world for thousands of players to explore,
        filled with danger, adventure and mystery
     *  Voices for most non-player characters (NPCs) in the game, a huge
        project encompassing more than 70,000 lines and 130 hours of dialog
     *  Unparalleled character customization capabilities.  In addition to
        thousands of armor, weapons and items users can equip, players will be
        able to customize their character's facial appearance to an incredible
        level of detail and personalization
     *  16 races, dozens of levels and 24 classes with a branching system that
        allows players to choose their class as they advance
     *  Player-owned real estate (such as apartments, homes, and guild houses)
     *  No race/class combination limitations, allowing players to truly
        choose who they want to be in game
     *  New user friendly game mechanics with reduced learning curve for both
        new and seasoned players
     *  More than 160 unique creature types, from Orcs and Goblins to huge
        dragons and menacing Living Statues
     *  Incentives for current EverQuest subscribers
     *  A state-of-the-art, cinematic quality 3D graphics engine capable of
        improving as hardware technology advances
     *  State-of-the art combat, spell and skill systems
     *  Trade skills available to all player classes

Didn't see it linked or quoted anywhere else, but it seems that it's official - don't think anyone was doubting it though.  Here's the link

Linkage

jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: November 08, 2004, 09:53:49 AM

Well the copies are available today - but I have had no luck creating an account and their web site seems to be counting down to tomorrow for server availability.

"  HaemishM.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #53 on: November 08, 2004, 09:59:40 AM

Definitely a new approach to sell boxes 24 hours before the servers are available. Is the patch server up? If I was a beta person, do I even need to install using the CDs? Can I just enter the CD key and patch?

I have never played WoW.
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: November 08, 2004, 10:34:47 AM

The EQ2 website has said Nov 9th for a couple weeks now.

I'm pretty sure they posted that they highly recommend you uninstall the beta then install the live game, to prevent possible issues.

I'll see you in a couple months... not playing till Jan. at earliest.

Akiera

AOFanboi
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: November 08, 2004, 02:41:19 PM

What surprised me was that boxes were in Norwegian stores as well (at least one I visited today, Nov. 8). Is there a simultaneous worldwide release or something?

Current: Mario Kart DS, Nintendogs
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: EQ2 to ship on Nov 8th  
Jump to: