Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:16:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: A Modest Experiment 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A Modest Experiment  (Read 6216 times)
Endie
Terracotta Army

on: April 10, 2008, 07:16:56 AM

Edit: Hold off on the forums for now: as noted below, Schild has suggested some exciting possibilities that might well meet what we need.

For those of you in BAT or F13, including those languishing outside the secret war forum, take a look at http://www.bat-country.com/ and let me know what you think.

Be aware that the DNS changes are still propagating, so the site may be unreliable access-wise to some for now.

I know that we're a forums-based corp, and that there might seem to be some redundancy here, but I thought it was worth a try for the same reasons that Goonfleet maintains parallel forums with SA: there is simply more flexibility in what we can do if we have our own (secure) area, to which we can set access on the basis of things like squad membership (if we set up a black ops squad, for instance).

Also, we're kinda shoe-horning info into forum format that might be better presented in other ways.  Thus the corp website.

Obviously, without being registered you're seeing very little of the corp website and even less of the forums.

If you want to give this a try, please register for both the forums using either your F13 board name or your Eve character name.  If you just make up some random shit I'll delete your account on security grounds.  I'll move over to secure acocunt creation once enough people have signed up that it won't be a hell of micromanagement, but for now sign yourselves up for both, and I will approve the forums and go over the user list for the website.

I'm not a graphic designer, so be gentle on the design elements.  Or submit your own stuff!

The website has fancy stuff like newsflashes, rss subscription, feeds from the official CCP site for patches and devblogs, articles, polls etc  Look around and you'll find them.

If anyone fancies picking up any of the admin load here, we'll see how the experiment goes and then you can let me know if it works.  Articles are also welcome.  We can mark them as viewable just by registered users or by pubbies, as you wish.

There is also a ton more functionality I can add if this works, whether it is in the content management system or outside it.  Ideas are welcome.  One idea I had was a secure wiki for good ship fittings, skill plans etc, but I thought it would be best to see if there is a demand for the rest of it first.  Another would be a jabber channel to idle in where people can let you know if gangs are running so you can join in: I suspect that a few of us woulf be keen to join the guys who have been running in gangs around Provi for the last few nights killing vagabonds and recons if we knew they were on.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 03:37:38 AM by Endie »

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 07:23:02 AM

Where is his Top Hat?

"Me am play gods"
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 07:23:57 AM

That picture is....

Yeah. I think he needs a top hat :)

I registered, it gave me a DB error, and now my account is disabled   ACK!
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 07:28:55 AM

I thought testing might reveal some wrinkles :D  I did set security awfully high...

I've enabled your account, anyway.

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 07:32:33 AM

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 07:34:57 AM

I'm not sure that's the right place for the top hat. It doesn't make him look distinguished enough.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 07:36:59 AM

YOU CREATE SOMETHING LIKE INWARD SINGING!

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 07:42:09 AM

OK, here's one with the hat on his head.

Note: do not click on that link.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 07:47:06 AM by Yegolev »

bhodi

No lie.

Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 07:44:52 AM

Hey, label that NS4W buddy.

Hrm, hat is a bit offset. And I don't have the orig image. You get the idea :)
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: April 10, 2008, 07:45:28 AM

OK, here's one with the hat on his head.

Not for those of us behind corporate firewalls, there isn't...

Twitter - Endieposts

lac
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: April 10, 2008, 07:53:26 AM

If a bat could be a thieving goon ex-ceo who posted pictures of himself on the internets, this would have been the picture he posted.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #11 on: April 10, 2008, 08:11:15 AM

Does it get a cane and a monacle also?  But really, can we get this hat instead:

I like this idea, Endie.  Good job!
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #12 on: April 10, 2008, 08:18:13 AM

A Monocle is too pretentious.  And he needs to keep his feet free to carry Heavy Weaponry.

"Me am play gods"
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: April 10, 2008, 08:25:24 AM

Submit your options.  I'll put up a poll to let people choose the best logo.  By "best" I mean "most outrageous and/or surreal".  I'm not above bringing shame on our good name and compromising my artistic integrity.

Twitter - Endieposts

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #14 on: April 10, 2008, 08:38:39 AM

Speaking of heavy weapons, can we get the BAT to carry this fella's weapon?

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #15 on: April 10, 2008, 08:40:04 AM

That's almost as bad as the second one I posted.

Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: April 10, 2008, 09:14:38 AM

Where is this thing hosted? Antarctica? Talk about slow ...  Ohhhhh, I see.

I assume you can hide articles based on login type right? Like the one that tells everyone where our POS is?  Grin

- Viin
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: April 10, 2008, 10:22:37 AM

OK, hold off on the forums for now: Schild has heard our cries from on high and has suggested some pretty cool stuff as a  potential solution.

In all seriousness, though, do keep trying out stuff on the graphics front.  We could do with some logo stuff, branding, that sort of thing.  I'm not sure that a monocle goes with a terminator minigun, but you've already seen the limits of my artistic ability.  I know that Amarr is a designer, but anyone who can come up with banners, sig templates, logos etc would be really cool, and I would personally reward them with ISK if they get used.  Showers of ISK.

Twitter - Endieposts

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: April 10, 2008, 10:28:46 AM

Purely as an outsider, i question the color choices used on your forums.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #19 on: April 10, 2008, 10:34:38 AM

The monocle was something of a joke.  Dead serious about the minigun, though!
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: April 10, 2008, 10:39:57 AM

Why do all you luddites not realise tht phpBB is wholly skinnable?  And that there are several skins implemented already?

Twitter - Endieposts

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: April 10, 2008, 11:13:02 AM

Why do all you luddites not realise tht phpBB is wholly skinnable?  And that there are several skins implemented already?

Me, personally, i always use the default one, i bet most people cant be bothered to change it. At a minimum, your default should be the most accessible, and the rest be the custom looks. Its your site, do what ya want, but thats my feedback.

Whats a "luddites"? looked it up.

EDIT: after looking around more, you can apply my comment to the "Website" as well.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 11:16:17 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: April 10, 2008, 12:08:27 PM

Concord scanning for illegal boosters

gimpyone
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: April 10, 2008, 06:49:56 PM

Signed up
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: A Modest Experiment  
Jump to: