Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 12:23:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Because Hollywood wasn't weird enough... 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Because Hollywood wasn't weird enough...  (Read 4254 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

on: October 21, 2004, 12:19:44 PM

I just had to link to a few stories about the strange, almost incoherent workings of Hollywood films.

Dungeons and Dragons Director to direct Tennessee ghost story... in Romania. Yes, the man who thought putting a Wayans brother in with Jimmy Olson and Jeremy Irons in a fantasy pic is back with a movie about a ghost story in Tennessee in the 1800's. But the weird part to me is that instead of filming in Tennessee, they go to ROMANIA? Is it that cheap to film in Eastern Europe? Will there be flying dragons?

Dy-no-mite on the big screen! Yes, because it wasn't enough to have seen Jimmy Walker screech this weekly from our TV screens in the '70's, someone is actually going to make Good Times into a fucking movie. Will it be the kind of campy, extended 70's gay joke that Starsky and Hutch was, or will it be worse than The Beverly Hillbillies? Never mind that the entire meat of that show, the real social backbone was so tied into the black power movement of the '70's, a message that will probably not resonate with anyone who wasn't there. Just seems like a bad idea to me.

I shouldn't like this movie. Yes, they are making a movie of the Dukes of Fucking Hazzard. Burt Reynolds and Willie Nelson have been picked to play Boss Hogg and Uncle Jesse, with Seann William Scott and Johnny Knoxville as Bo and Luke Duke and Jessica Simpson as Daisy. I should fucking hate this movie. But I am looking forward to it, because it's being written and directed by Jay Chandrasekhar and the Broken Lizard comedy troupe, the guys who made Super Troopers and Club Dread. Meaning it's probably going to be stupid and funny as fuck.

WayAbvPar

Reply #1 on: October 21, 2004, 12:23:53 PM

Dungeons and Dragons Director to direct Tennessee ghost story... in Romania.

My guess is that the legal charges for inflicting that piece of shit on the American public prevent him from working in the US.

Jessica Simpson as Daisy

Worth checking out just for this. Probably won't waste my time in the theatre, but I will probably watch it on cable.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: October 21, 2004, 12:25:58 PM

Jessica Simpson? And I thought they couldnt do any worse than Britney Spears..

My prediction is that Burt Reynolds will be the funniest part of that film.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Roac
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: October 21, 2004, 12:54:29 PM

Quote from: WayAbvPar
My guess is that the legal charges for inflicting that piece of shit on the American public prevent him from working in the US.

But not bad enough to kill the franchise.

-Roac
King of Ravens

"Young people who pretend to be wise to the ways of the world are mostly just cynics. Cynicism masquerades as wisdom, but it is the farthest thing from it. Because cynics don't learn anything. Because cynicism is a self-imposed blindness, a rejection of the world because we are afraid it will hurt us or disappoint us." -SC
WayAbvPar

Reply #4 on: October 21, 2004, 01:43:16 PM

Quote from: Roac

The Apocalypse is upon us.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #5 on: October 21, 2004, 03:02:19 PM

Quote from: HaemishM
I just had to link to a few stories about the strange, almost incoherent workings of Hollywood films.

Dungeons and Dragons Director to direct Tennessee ghost story... in Romania. Yes, the man who thought putting a Wayans brother in with Jimmy Olson and Jeremy Irons in a fantasy pic is back with a movie about a ghost story in Tennessee in the 1800's. But the weird part to me is that instead of filming in Tennessee, they go to ROMANIA? Is it that cheap to film in Eastern Europe? Will there be flying dragons?

Dy-no-mite on the big screen! Yes, because it wasn't enough to have seen Jimmy Walker screech this weekly from our TV screens in the '70's, someone is actually going to make Good Times into a fucking movie. Will it be the kind of campy, extended 70's gay joke that Starsky and Hutch was, or will it be worse than The Beverly Hillbillies? Never mind that the entire meat of that show, the real social backbone was so tied into the black power movement of the '70's, a message that will probably not resonate with anyone who wasn't there. Just seems like a bad idea to me.

I shouldn't like this movie. Yes, they are making a movie of the Dukes of Fucking Hazzard. Burt Reynolds and Willie Nelson have been picked to play Boss Hogg and Uncle Jesse, with Seann William Scott and Johnny Knoxville as Bo and Luke Duke and Jessica Simpson as Daisy. I should fucking hate this movie. But I am looking forward to it, because it's being written and directed by Jay Chandrasekhar and the Broken Lizard comedy troupe, the guys who made Super Troopers and Club Dread. Meaning it's probably going to be stupid and funny as fuck.

Im a big fan of Jay Chandrasekhar, so I will be seeing Dukes.  Good Times? No thanks. I'll drive downtown and pay Jimmy Walker $10 if I want to hear someone shout Dynomite! again.

The sad thing about comparing S&H to the Hillbillies - I think I actually liked the Hillbilies remake better.  It was stupid as hell, but it at least had some feel for the original.   S&H was just plain boring, very few decent jokes, a total waste of Stiller, and had nothing to do with the source material.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Ardent
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: October 21, 2004, 03:17:20 PM

They filmed Cold Mountain in one of those "-ania" countries, even though it took place in Carolina. It's just cheaper.

Um, never mind.
Flashman
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: October 21, 2004, 04:22:56 PM

Quote from: Roac

Awesome! Now all of the unresolved cliffhangers and questions I had about the first movie will be resolved! *crosses fingers*

OMG I hope Snails makes it back from the dead!!!11!!
WayAbvPar

Reply #8 on: October 21, 2004, 04:46:55 PM

I'd like to see him and the rest of his lacktalent kin go through the movie version of 'Tomb of Horrors'. That might be worth the price of admission.

WonderBrick
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: October 21, 2004, 10:00:53 PM

The Apocalypse is upon us.

Paul Anderson(Mortal Kombat, Resident Evil, AVP) is set to direct Alien 6.

"Please dont confuse roleplaying with rollplaying. Thanks."   -Shannow

"Just cuz most MMO use the leveling treadmill doesn't mean I have to lower my "fun standards" to the common acceptance. Simply put, I'm not gonna do that."  -I flyin high
Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #10 on: October 22, 2004, 06:06:08 AM

If you like Jessica Simpson, she has apparently been relentlessly working out in order to fill out the short shorts of Daisy.  She has a rough 3+ hour regiment concentrating on, mostly, her ass.

DarkDryad
Terracotta Army

da hizzookup

Reply #11 on: October 22, 2004, 06:18:49 AM

Ass workouts for teh win!

BWL is funny tho.  It's like watching a Special Needs school take a field trip to a minefield.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #12 on: October 22, 2004, 08:05:36 AM

Do not doubt the power of the ass.

Roac
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: October 22, 2004, 08:53:04 AM

Quote from: Flashman

Doesn't look like him or the rest of his "party" are in the sequel.  Only one of the actors is listed as being in the sequel, so maybe it has a hope of being marginally non-suck.  Armagedon is at least on standby.  Either way, it'll definately be a rental, if even that.

-Roac
King of Ravens

"Young people who pretend to be wise to the ways of the world are mostly just cynics. Cynicism masquerades as wisdom, but it is the farthest thing from it. Because cynics don't learn anything. Because cynicism is a self-imposed blindness, a rejection of the world because we are afraid it will hurt us or disappoint us." -SC
Jayce
Terracotta Army

Diluted Fool

Reply #14 on: October 22, 2004, 09:13:50 AM

Quote from: Ookii
If you like Jessica Simpson, she has apparently been relentlessly working out in order to fill out the short shorts of Daisy.  She has a rough 3+ hour regiment concentrating on, mostly, her ass.

And I appreciate all her hard work.

Witty banter not included.
WayAbvPar

Reply #15 on: October 22, 2004, 09:27:15 AM

a rough 3+ hour regiment concentrating on, mostly, her ass.

Interesting...had a dream about something quite similar recently! /rimshot

personman
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: October 22, 2004, 09:30:46 AM

Interesting...had a dream about something quite similar recently! /rimshot

Yuk.  TMI.  :P
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #17 on: October 22, 2004, 09:45:47 AM

Like you wouldn't hit that given opportunity and no attachments.

personman
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: October 22, 2004, 11:48:00 AM

/resist

I'd give a Brucian confession but then I'd be the one violating TMI.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: October 22, 2004, 02:14:59 PM

Quote from: personman
/resist

I'd give a Brucian confession but then I'd be the one violating TMI.

Indeed.  And Arc would post the Mulder picture.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Arnold
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: October 23, 2004, 11:28:02 AM

Quote from: Ardent
They filmed Cold Mountain in one of those "-ania" countries, even though it took place in Carolina. It's just cheaper.

I think it's because they have to hire a union crew in America.  Filming in another country is like outsourcing American tech jobs to India.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #21 on: October 23, 2004, 09:46:54 PM

Depends. Would she talk at any point in more than single three-word-sentence bursts?

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: October 23, 2004, 11:51:46 PM

Quote from: Arnold
Quote from: Ardent

I think it's because they have to hire a union crew in America.  Filming in another country is like outsourcing American tech jobs to India.

Well,  it's more expensive,  and there's a slew of red tape/union rules getting in the way of things.

Robert Rodriguez has had continuing problems filming in the US because he refuses to obey Union rules about who's allowed to film, job descriptions, job duties, etc.  He likes to have his hand in nearly everything.  His movies are kind of hit or miss,  but you have to like his work ethic.  Does some pretty neat extras on his DVDs.
WayAbvPar

Reply #23 on: October 25, 2004, 09:27:22 AM

Quote from: Merusk

Depends. Would she talk at any point in more than single three-word-sentence bursts?

You say that like she is capable of doing more than that.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #24 on: October 25, 2004, 01:17:39 PM

Quote from: Merusk

How hard is it to say "Uncle Jesse, Bo and Luke are runnin' from the Sheriff!?"

She could play Enos with just as much flair. I shudder to think who will be Cooter, though; may have to pull out the Oscar book.

WayAbvPar

Reply #25 on: October 25, 2004, 01:20:33 PM

I am willing to bet that if you Google "Cooter" and "Jessica Simpson" together you will find some 5th-rate faux pr0n.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Because Hollywood wasn't weird enough...  
Jump to: