Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:21:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: AOC- PvP Info 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Down Print
Author Topic: AOC- PvP Info  (Read 66935 times)
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #175 on: April 28, 2008, 12:28:13 PM

That was my aunt. You bastards!
Xuri
Terracotta Army

몇살이세욬ㅋ 몇살이 몇살 몇살이세욬ㅋ!!!!!1!

Reply #176 on: May 02, 2008, 03:59:05 PM

Small update on how mercenary-system will work, stolen from a post by Tarib (Senior Community Manager) on the official forums, dated May 1st:
Quote from: Morten Byom - Associate Producer
“We will allow players to list them self as being mercs in the matchmaking system so they can be searched for. to be a merc you just have to join a team from the defenders or attacking guild and you are allowed to be in the playfield.

if you are not part of the defenders or the attackers you are immediately removed from the playfields and returned to the HUB of your region.

Even though there is more to the system than what we reveal right here, we are still tweaking the finer details of it so we rather want to ensure we give you 100% correct info this close to launch than something which is still being balanced”
Sieges accessible to everyone, sort of! Whee?

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #177 on: May 02, 2008, 08:42:13 PM

That was my aunt. You bastards!

Just stand over there next to the egg wash,  and ignore the hot oven.

Gobbeldygook
Terracotta Army

Reply #178 on: May 03, 2008, 09:38:35 AM

Age of Conan PVP Interview from Gamespy from May 1: >Link<

GameSpy: What are the death penalties?

Godager: We have been playing with various versions of PvP penalties because we know, from a hardcore point of view, what they want to do is not to kill, but to punish their opponent. But at the moment, we're not planning on having any of that for beta. Basically, I'll be honest and say that I'm afraid of the PvP balance being in such a way that if that penalty was too harsh, people would be aggravated about it. So I'd rather have a live open product for some weeks, and then apply the penalty. We're getting invaluable info from our beta, but still there is a difference between that and hundreds of thousands of players.

I have never been more excited to have other people play an MMO.
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #179 on: May 03, 2008, 10:10:07 AM

Quote from: Godager
Basically, I'll be honest and say that I'm afraid of the PvP balance being in such a way that if that penalty was too harsh, people would be aggravated about it.
I disagree with this plan of action, but I think I know what he's trying to say. He assumes that PvP balance right out of the box will be so bad that certain classes will be completely worthless as anything but targets in PvP. He doesn't want the players of those classes to get too discouraged until they've hammered out the balance issues... which may take a few weeks. He doesn't trust that the testing they're doing now will reveal just how broken the game is, so he wants 100,000 people paying to test it.

It's idiocy, but there's method to it.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #180 on: May 03, 2008, 10:35:47 AM

[...]He doesn't want the players of those classes to get too discouraged until they've hammered out the balance issues... which may take a few weeks. [...]
It's idiocy, but there's method to it.

lol!
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #181 on: May 04, 2008, 05:31:29 AM

Oh man, I hope they add item loot as a punishment for losing. That would just be perfectOh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #182 on: May 04, 2008, 06:11:03 AM

I spent all my time avoiding even looking into whether they had crafting. But given the amount of sheer loot drops in the pre 20 game, item looting (even if it's light-weight AC1 style random item/value loot) could actually work here.

WITHOUT XP loss.
WITHOUT Stat penalties.
WITH a lot more ways of, like, not dying.

No matter the system, nothing yet has been invented to prevent rapid death by Zerg/focus-fire in an MMO. The side with the better coordination is going to kill characters in measurements of seconds. Fights in any MMO is X of fighting with X*10 of traveling.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #183 on: May 04, 2008, 06:41:17 AM

No matter the system, nothing yet has been invented to prevent rapid death by Zerg/focus-fire in an MMO. The side with the better coordination is going to kill characters in measurements of seconds. Fights in any MMO is X of fighting with X*10 of traveling.

Collision detection.  When you can stand in front of someone and protect them, when you can't shoot fireballs or arrows through your melee teamates to hit the guy they are all beatin on, when you can only have three or four people beating on the same guy before theres simply no room for anyone else to swing their weapons, then you will see the end of the "assist train" that dominates pvp in every game so far.  That or one hit kills so the emphasis of combat  is on avoiding being hit at all rather than slashing someone five hundred times with your sword before they die.

I am the .00000001428%
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #184 on: May 04, 2008, 06:47:10 AM

Even that. The game needs to be a corridor-based environment for CD to truly make a difference. These games are highly unrealistic spaz fests of people jumping around in open plains worlds designed more for "realism" than promoting compelling combat. That doesn't make a difference in combat  for the most part but it feels good anyway. CD is simply unreliable in anything but a semi- or full- FPS game, and as long as the environment makes that useful.

Newer games have better maps, but there's still a long way to go until you get to some of the best FPS maps out there. THEN turning on true line-of-side and CD and allowing for players in front to soak. Even games with some amount of CD still have target locking.
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #185 on: May 04, 2008, 10:02:37 AM

Collision detection.  When you can stand in front of someone and protect them, when you can't shoot fireballs or arrows through your melee teamates to hit the guy they are all beatin on, when you can only have three or four people beating on the same guy before theres simply no room for anyone else to swing their weapons, then you will see the end of the "assist train" that dominates pvp in every game so far.
More like end of melee classes and all-archer assist trains. Since 20+ arrows can still hit that one guy without shooters having to bunch closely together, and increased distance/radius increases amount of people who can encircle and fire at the single target.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #186 on: May 15, 2008, 12:13:31 PM

Collision detection.  When you can stand in front of someone and protect them, when you can't shoot fireballs or arrows through your melee teamates to hit the guy they are all beatin on, when you can only have three or four people beating on the same guy before theres simply no room for anyone else to swing their weapons, then you will see the end of the "assist train" that dominates pvp in every game so far.
More like end of melee classes and all-archer assist trains. Since 20+ arrows can still hit that one guy without shooters having to bunch closely together, and increased distance/radius increases amount of people who can encircle and fire at the single target.

Easy enough, just let a shiled block any incoming arrows when in a sort of 'defensive' stance. No movement or attacking but full defense against ranged and most melee aqnd perhaps a tank with a large shield will autoblock for one nearby teammate who could sling some ranged back. If we're talking 3v1, 5v1 of course the single guy flanked my ranged is always at a disadvantage

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #187 on: May 15, 2008, 03:51:53 PM

Easy enough, just let a shiled block any incoming arrows when in a sort of 'defensive' stance.
So uhmm, if the tanks are given full immunity against archers then #1 how does an archer ever manage to kill that guy with the shield and #2, how do we deal with everyone switching to mages, instead? Unless of course mages are also granted full cockblock vs the guy in tin can, but that still leaves us with drawback #1 ... except now extending to both kinds of ranged classes...
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #188 on: May 15, 2008, 05:55:06 PM

That's how balance works. You are good against 1 or 2 types, sucky against 1 or 2 types, and sorta OK against 1 or 2 types.

Get a friend if you need help.

- Viin
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #189 on: May 16, 2008, 01:10:58 PM

Oh man, I hope they add item loot as a punishment for losing. That would just be perfectOh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

You do play Eve, don't you? :)

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
grunk
Terracotta Army

This poster is a gibbering retard. Also, he used to post from a rehab clinic.

Reply #190 on: June 09, 2008, 07:35:34 PM

also anyone that says this game is like hellgate or gasp, vanguard are simply trying to become one with the fail.

Morfiend your views are simply ... "retarded"

*Sigh* I can see using logic on you is a wasted exercise, but I have to try.

How are my views, who has first hand experience with the game, vs you who only read the hype, retarded? I would go in to more detail on the state of the game but  NDA so I can only talk about the PVP weekend.

As I said before I REALLY hope the game is good, cause I want to have a fun PVP game, but you who hasnt played it, and only read the hype insulting people who have is much more "retarded".

so yeah, logic be damned. Your wrong n00b. AoC is teh shiznick... glad i dont listen to ch00bs like j00!
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #191 on: June 09, 2008, 07:40:43 PM

ch00bs!!!! i love it, stay grunky!

I am the .00000001428%
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #192 on: June 11, 2008, 10:32:27 AM

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: AOC- PvP Info  
Jump to: