Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:29:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The robots are coming 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The robots are coming  (Read 214010 times)
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #70 on: November 30, 2012, 05:30:01 AM

This whole trend of crowdsourcing expensive design projects bothers me on a number of levels.  The least being it's a way for companies to get a lot of work for free.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #71 on: February 21, 2013, 04:16:04 PM

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: February 22, 2013, 07:37:42 AM

Remind me not to be scared of letting my car drive for me when it can.

Or be very scared.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: February 22, 2013, 08:05:21 AM

As much as I enjoy this whole quadrotor craze, people are quick to forget that it's really just an extension of mocap technology (even the rods in that last vid. are mocap).  As soon as you take those devices out of the lab-studio they fail hard.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #74 on: March 14, 2013, 02:18:57 PM

Drones with claws. Scoop up prey like an eagle.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #75 on: October 07, 2013, 11:14:14 PM

Boston Dynamics reveals WildCat, a galloping lawnmower engine.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #76 on: December 14, 2013, 02:51:36 AM

Google acquires Boston Dynamics, one of eight robotics companies acquired in the last six months.  We're living the prologue to an 80s sci-fi movie. 

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/14/technology/google-adds-to-its-menagerie-of-robots.html?pagewanted=all&_r=2&
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #77 on: December 14, 2013, 08:56:18 AM

So Google really IS Skynet.

We're fucked.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #78 on: December 14, 2013, 09:41:47 AM

So Google really IS Skynet.

We're fucked.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #79 on: December 18, 2013, 11:06:35 PM

Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #80 on: December 19, 2013, 12:47:26 AM

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #81 on: June 18, 2014, 04:28:12 PM

New product from South African company: Riot Control Drone

Write-up at boingboing: link

"The Skunk is equipped with 4 high-capacity paint ball barrels firing at up to 20 bullets per second each, with 80 Pepper bullets per second stopping any crowd in its tracks," says its maker.

The Skunk carries on-board speakers, thermal cameras and strobe lights. Its maker, Desert Wolf, say they have sold 25 units to "unnamed companies in the mining industry and that it will be entering service between June and July this year."

"The Skunk Riot Control Copter is designed to control unruly crowds without endangering the lives of security staff," according to a blurb on Desert Wolf's product page.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #82 on: June 18, 2014, 04:59:21 PM

Mining companies, eh.

Well at least we'll have plenty of coal and diamonds coming out of Africa for years to come.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: June 18, 2014, 06:09:42 PM

I think that will be about as effective as controlling riots as a parked car would be. 1,000 pissed-off people will swarm over that motherfucker quick as bees.

At least I hope. It really is not a good day when there's some fucker seriously offering a robot as a solution to controlling crowds.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #84 on: June 18, 2014, 06:35:50 PM

How are they going to swarm it? It flies.  It can fly high enough to avoid even Olympic-level object hurtling and still be effective because it shoots with gravity vs. against it. Snipe it? You just escalated, out come the riot control guns.

No, be terrified. It's going to be effective and it's going to be in police hands soon enough.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: June 19, 2014, 05:03:51 AM

I was thinking it would have to fly low enough to have shit thrown at it or otherwise be brought down, but I guess not.
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: June 19, 2014, 06:10:09 AM

Time to start marketing my drone-signal jamming devices.  why so serious?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: June 19, 2014, 06:41:47 AM

It really is not a good day when there's some fucker seriously offering a robot as a solution to controlling crowds.

IMO the only difference between a remote controlled robot firing pepper rounds and a human officer firing pepper rounds is that it's less of a problem if the robot catches a brick, and the officer controlling the robot is under complete surveillance so if they fuck up the evidence is going to be there.

It is really interesting to me to see the speed at which quadrotor (or octorotor in this case, I guess) technology is advancing.  Being able to buy an off the shelf kit and just tell it to navigate by GPS to whatever flight plan you want is pretty amazing.
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: June 19, 2014, 07:18:42 AM

It really is not a good day when there's some fucker seriously offering a robot as a solution to controlling crowds.

IMO the only difference between a remote controlled robot firing pepper rounds and a human officer firing pepper rounds is that it's less of a problem if the robot catches a brick, and the officer controlling the robot is under complete surveillance so if they fuck up the evidence is going to be there.

It is really interesting to me to see the speed at which quadrotor (or octorotor in this case, I guess) technology is advancing.  Being able to buy an off the shelf kit and just tell it to navigate by GPS to whatever flight plan you want is pretty amazing.

soon....

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #89 on: July 16, 2014, 03:31:03 PM

Bigdog finally in use as pack mule for US Marines

The LS3, nicknamed 'Cujo', was able to carry 180kg of equipment for 32 kilometres before running out of fuel. It was used to conduct resupply missions to platoons around the training area.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #90 on: July 16, 2014, 03:37:12 PM

Did they really have to name it Cujo?   ACK!

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: July 16, 2014, 04:01:20 PM

The real question is, how far could a real mule have carried the same load before stopping to snack on grass and nap?

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: July 16, 2014, 04:27:40 PM

The real question is, how far could a real mule have carried the same load before stopping to snack on grass and nap?

The same load?  I don't think a mule can even move with 180 kg on it's back, that's almost 400 pounds.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #93 on: July 16, 2014, 04:50:11 PM

The same load?  I don't think a mule can even move with 180 kg on it's back, that's almost 400 pounds.
Wikipedia to the rescue: "Although it depends on the individual animal, an army mule can carry up to 72 kg and walk 26 km without resting."

So it carried as much as two mules for about the same distance, probably didn't try to kick or bite anyone, and didn't leave any turds behind.  Sounds like a winner to me.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Father mike
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: July 16, 2014, 09:30:47 PM

Does it still make the same noise as a chainsaw fucking a leafblower? 

I would like to thank Vladimir Putin for ensuring that every member of the NPR news staff has had to say "Pussy Riot" on the air multiple times.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #95 on: July 16, 2014, 10:41:04 PM

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: July 16, 2014, 11:17:31 PM

http://www.myjibo.com/

A helper robot.  The reality won't be as cool as this, but if it works, it will be a great first step.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #97 on: July 16, 2014, 11:59:29 PM

Stop trying to make them seem benevolent!
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: July 17, 2014, 09:45:20 AM

I'm curious whether Avengers II is going to actually spark off an 'anti-robot/drone' movement. 

I can't wait for cars that drive themselves.  I'd much rather trust an automated car than some people that refuse to accept that they should not be driving. 

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: July 17, 2014, 09:50:31 AM

I'm curious whether Avengers II is going to actually spark off an 'anti-robot/drone' movement. 

I'd be willing to bet that it doesn't

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Father mike
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: July 17, 2014, 11:37:04 AM

Since the topic of self-driving vehicles has been broached, I have a question.  Why aren't the teamsters and other long-haul truckers in an absolute dither about self-driving cars?  I'd have thought there'd be huge anti-robot sentiment there.  I saw on a news crawl that CA (?maybe -- might have been another largish state) updated a law to allow robot vehicles with some provisos.  That stuff is rapidly moving from "10-15 years, with some breakthrus" into firm dates and working prototypes.

Once it works, there's gonna be a lot of truckers and other drivers left out in the cold.

I would like to thank Vladimir Putin for ensuring that every member of the NPR news staff has had to say "Pussy Riot" on the air multiple times.
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: July 17, 2014, 11:43:56 AM

Since the topic of self-driving vehicles has been broached, I have a question.  Why aren't the teamsters and other long-haul truckers in an absolute dither about self-driving cars?  I'd have thought there'd be huge anti-robot sentiment there.  I saw on a news crawl that CA (?maybe -- might have been another largish state) updated a law to allow robot vehicles with some provisos.  That stuff is rapidly moving from "10-15 years, with some breakthrus" into firm dates and working prototypes.

Once it works, there's gonna be a lot of truckers and other drivers left out in the cold.

Unions aren't what they used to be; they are more a paper tiger now. I'd say the real people that could be under the pressure would be public transportation workers.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #102 on: July 17, 2014, 12:02:23 PM

I'd wager that the guys who drive the trucks by and large aren't likely to get wind of it until they're already doomed.

Once we can remove drivers from the road a lot of things are going to change in ways that are hard to even imagine.  Cab drivers are going to miss the days when all they had to worry about was Lyft and Uber eating their lunch with efficient automated dispatching -- once the driver is automated away too it's just game fucking over.  Imagine that instead of parking your car you'd just put it into "cab mode" and it'd trundle off to go make you money until you need it again.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: July 17, 2014, 12:34:03 PM

Everytime I get stuck behind a garbage truck that has an automated arm thing to get the trash into the truck, I wonder how much longer the guy behind the wheel has.

On the automated car front, what about a subscription car service? You need a car, you "call" one with your app and it drives to your house and picks you up and takes you off wherever for however long, then you let it go. Instead of heading back to a garage, it could easily and probably more cheaply "park" by just driving on the road until someone else calls.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 12:38:56 PM by dd0029 »
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: July 17, 2014, 12:37:01 PM

Those folks that lose jobs to automated driving are going to be near-impossible to assimilate into another part of the employment system.  That industry is just massive and I don't have faith they'll find meaningful employment once that happens. 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The robots are coming  
Jump to: