Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 08:17:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Ultima Online  |  Topic: Bat Country - Army of TWO! 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bat Country - Army of TWO!  (Read 23767 times)
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

on: March 18, 2008, 06:56:50 AM

Thanks to a lot of luck, a donation from WUA, and some cunning from myself, I have started a chapter of Bat Country on the Atlantic server!

That house I ran across the other day, the one that fell?  Well, WUA passed along some cash to me and I was able to place a custom house right on the spot! 

I am currently training for the Tamer/Bard route.  67 taming thus far- I figure I can score a piece of Animal Taming jewelry and control a couple dragons before my training is complete.

Question:  Will jewelry take your skill above the skill cap? 

WUA is now in Bat Country.  And the budding empire doubles in size!!!

edit.  additional + strikeouts
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 05:25:22 AM by Cheddar »

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 09:11:39 AM

Nope.  If you want to go above the cap, you need to use the appropriate scroll.

Bear in mind that you still need animal lore skill on top of taming, and that jewelry with good bonuses to both tends to be somewhat expensive.  I dunno man, I never had the patience to make a tamer.  Training one up sounds like cockstab.

Edit:  Post pics of your house design!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 09:29:54 AM by WindupAtheist »

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 09:57:29 AM

OK, I am glad you cannot take skills above skill cap- leaves me more room to design my character.  Skillset I am shooting for is:

Taming (70 currently)  -  100
Animal Lore (90)  -  100
Magery (70)  -  ?  Depends on Jewelry- currently I have a spellbook that grants +10.
Musicianship 100 
Peacemaking (80)  -  100
Discord (0)  -  100
Veternary  -  100

I am hoping to boost med with jewelry, either directly or by items that boost other skills (see magery).  I will get house pics later; that customize tool is the shiznit.

additional.  I was anti item change back in the day, before I understood what it does for the game.  I have done a 180' turn and now like it- basically, you can make a character more diverse, and not be stuck with 1 of 2 templates to fight things more powerful then a rabbit.  I like this.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 10:04:08 AM by Cheddar »

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 10:53:30 AM

Ooo I have a 7x tank mage on Atlantic. Wonder how gimped he is. The original Sky!
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 11:20:28 AM

As much of a creaky old whore as the game is, there really isn't much around that approaches it in terms of customization.  (At least as far as actual games go, as opposed to Second Life crap.)  If you want to be a mage who's also an archer and who lives in a stone fort with a built-in bar and a torture chamber, you can do that.  Since we're talking about it, here's my template on my Great Lakes guy:

Mace Fighting 110
Tactics 100
Bushido 100
Parrying 100
Necromancy 115 (110 natural, +5 from items)
Spirit Speak 110 (100 natural, +10 from items)
Resisting Spells 100

I love this template so much.  I use necromancy to go into vampiric form, so I'm immune to most poison.  That form also gives me enough stamina and mana regeneration that, combined with a few regeneration mods on my armor, I don't need focus or meditation.  Between spirit speak heals, the confidence stance I get from bushido, and the huge life leech I get from spamming the curse weapon spell while in vampire form, I don't need any of the usual healing methods either, so I can drop the traditional healing/anatomy skills and load up on fun stuff.

I live and die by life leech.  The more stuff hurts me, the more I have to stick to it and keep beating on it.  Against the real hard hitters, my HP bar will look like... 100%, 40%, 90%, 20%, 100%, 30% as I take huge hits and leech them right back on the next swing.  It can be relatively hair-raising at times.

EDIT:
Quote from: Sky
Ooo I have a 7x tank mage on Atlantic. Wonder how gimped he is. The original Sky!

With the right gear, less gimped than you would think, depending on your exact template.  Tank mages never came back to their old-school heights, but the addition of stuff like spell channeling weapons (that you can keep equipped while casting) made them at least somewhat viable again.  And at the end of the day, a guy with GM in magery, med, and eval can still kill half of everything in the game with energy vortex alone.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 11:23:41 AM by WindupAtheist »

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 11:33:05 AM

WUA - you have any spare spell channeling weapons w/ minus magery skill?  I cannot find one anywhere!

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 12:56:26 PM

I wouldn't even remember what the skills were. 100 Magery, 100 Resist, 100 Swords, 100 Parry, I forget the ancillary stuff was. 100 Hiding, I used to train all my characters to 100 hiding, most useful skill in the game imo. So old he got resist by the old firewalker method. I think he was an archer, too, when there were sick bows of massive damage. I have recollections of huge THUNK kills, arrows just tearing the shit out of people, shot from my GM-made bows. Back when GM-made was the shit, along with Vanq gear (though GM gear was much easier to lose/replace).

My Siege Perilous guy is a straight up rogue/treasure hunter. Zero combat skills, magery taming, nada. No pickpocket, so not technically a thief. Stealth, Lockpicking, Disarm Traps, Hiding, Detect Hidden, Cartography, one other.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 07:26:32 PM

I found a spell channeling item.  Holy shit, Taming takes forever!  Not sure how I am gonna get it levelled- maybe if I can score some animal training jewelry I can skip to the fun stuff.

Nyght
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 03:36:49 AM

You did manage to pick the skill with the slowest skill gain of all. I have been a casual player since '98 on and off. I didn't take up taming right away but it wasn't too many years in. I have a base taming of 95.4 now.

Good luck  smiley

"Do you know who is in charge here?" -- "Yep."
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 04:56:05 AM

I miss the days when you could thrown on some GM armor and be good to go.

Now days the big thing is runic-crafted leather armor.  The best gear in the game are the highest-end crafted items, made with hard-to-get "runic" crafting tools of limited uses.  Since tailoring tools can only make leather armor, that's what they make.  Piles of uber leather armor.  And since there's all this awesome leather armor around, the runic blacksmithy tools are mostly used to make weapons.  Well, the highest-end blacksmithy tools anyway.  You can find crafted plate or whatever, but it's generally not going to be as good as the best crafted leather.

All my guys wear full plate, but it's a deliberate affectation on my part.  Mostly plate-based artifacts with a few odd crafted pieces mixed in.  I'd have it easier if I just threw on any old mismatched suit of mostly-leather with the right item properties.  But screw it, artifacts are cheaper than top-end crafted stuff now anyway.

Anyway, if a ten-years-ago tank mage walked into the game today, he'd need to drop a couple skills and gain a couple others and then find the right items.  But like I said, magery is still magery, everything else be damned.

Oh, Cheddar, do you mean a spell channeling weapon, or a mage weapon?  Because those are two different properties.

A spell channeling weapon (or shield) is simply one that you can cast magery spells while holding.  This is balanced by most spell channeling items carrying a penalty to casting speed.  Thus "spell channeling, no penalty" items are prized, while items that do carry a penalty are mostly considered junk unless they have something else awesome going for them.

A mage weapon is a weapon where the chance of scoring or avoiding a hit is based upon your magery skill, instead of swordsmanship or fencing or whatever.  These are balanced by most carrying a penalty to your magery, and by the fact that you can't execute special moves unless you have tactics on your template.  They're basically used defensively by mages that don't want to put wrestling on their template, and who don't mind not having room to equip a spellbook with properties.

Except, as I think you've found out, that magery skill penalty can be a benefit to a character in training.  If you have 70 magery and equip a weapon with a -20 penalty, suddenly you have 50 magery and can gain skill as easily as you would if your skill were 50 naturally.  You train back up to 70 while holding the weapon, take it off, and suddenly your magery pops up to it's non-penalized value of 90.

EDIT:  I feel compelled to point out that while many artifacts are stupid fucking colors, there's an easy-ass FedEx quest that requires nothing outside of 10k gold, a rune to Nu'jelm, and patience with the stupid quest interface, that gives you a ten-charge bottle of bleach.  This will turn any item back to it's default base color.  The "ornate crown of the harrower" is an artifact that looks like a green bone helm, but after a shot of bleach it just looks like a plain old white bone helm.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 05:00:21 AM by WindupAtheist »

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: March 19, 2008, 05:42:33 AM

Man. They really fucked that game up.

It was never about the pve. Ever. Trammel.

Thanks for the few minutes of nostalgia, I could never go back to UO. They should really change the name.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #11 on: March 19, 2008, 09:57:19 AM

There is PvP in game.  A LOT of PvP (as I found out the other night); both open and in "controlled" environments.  Champion spawns are evidently a free-for-all affair, Felucca actually has back and forths going on at all hours, factions, etc.

Now, jumping a person and WTF looting them clean is a thing of the past.  Also, unlike other treadmills, you need to actually explore and <gasp> possibly interact with others to discover different happenings.  Unlike WoW you cannot just delete the chat text and carry on your merry way- UO is world based, and if anything is now more sandboxy then ever.

I hate to say it, but I like where things have ended up.  Even the whole "races" thing. 

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #12 on: March 19, 2008, 07:50:53 PM

Yeah.  The old wolves-on-sheep thing is ancient history, but wolves-on-wolves is very much alive.  The scrolls that raise skill caps above 100 only drop from champion spawns at the bottom of Felucca dungeons, and PVP-oriented "champ guilds" fight for the right to sell those scrolls to the carebear population for enormous sums.  Just bear in mind that it's not "GM armor and go" anymore.  With all the money scrolls make, those guys have the absolute top-end gear in the game.

My old mostly-Trammy roleplayer guild used to try to "sneak" champion spawns in the wee hours of the morning, since we were all night owls anyway.  Half the time we'd get away with the scrolls, half the time one of the major PVP guilds would gank us right at the end and take them all.  But the return was good enough that it was worthwhile even if we only succeeded part of the time.

EDIT:  The (relative) ease with which Cheddar is getting his tamer going is making me seriously consider rolling my first tamer ever.  Being ready to go tame a couple of drakes after just a few days is no joke.  Skill jewelry for the win.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 03:16:14 AM by WindupAtheist »

addryc
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: April 13, 2008, 06:53:54 PM

Is the Army of TWO! still going? :)
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #14 on: April 13, 2008, 08:54:38 PM

I dropped my main out to join some guild that turned out to be stupid.  My alt is still in.  Dunno what Ched's been upto.

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #15 on: April 14, 2008, 11:19:00 AM

I dropped my main out to join some guild that turned out to be stupid.  My alt is still in.  Dunno what Ched's been upto.

Computer went boom.  Not sure how long I will be internetless.

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #16 on: April 14, 2008, 06:36:13 PM

Weak.  On the plus side, I have a bunch of awesome "lol roleplayer" stories to tell when you get back, and I came out of that retarded ass guild half a million gold ahead of where I started.  The leader apparently keeps people around by buying mass gold off RMT sites and throwing it around willy-nilly.

addryc
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: April 15, 2008, 08:53:53 PM

Ok I'm IN with my old account - my pally has ok skills and ok gear - just need to figure out how to repair it!
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #18 on: April 16, 2008, 06:06:00 AM

Look for blacksmithy repair contracts on player vendors.  What shard you on?

Also, some guy was doing trivia for prizes at Brit bank.  I just won 2 million gold for knowing the capital of Canada.  This has been a good few days for money.

Also, I got a 110 taming and 110 animal lore scroll for you Cheddar, whenever you get back.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 09:57:15 AM by WindupAtheist »

addryc
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: April 16, 2008, 10:14:06 AM

I'm on atlantic - always been on there.  What times do you play, Wua?
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #20 on: April 17, 2008, 04:29:09 AM

Usually after midnight.  Mondays and Tuesdays, from maybe eight or nine AM to whenever I decide to go to sleep.

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #21 on: April 18, 2008, 06:42:20 AM

Its going to be a week or two before I get my rig back up - I am too busy to get it fixed.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

addryc
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: April 22, 2008, 09:27:40 PM

I'm still in and around - enjoying messing around with alts :)
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: April 24, 2008, 01:12:58 AM

I was all, "Hee hee, I'll sign on with a free trial, find WUA, and pretend that I'm a money-begging noob and screenshot the results!"  So I signed up, downloaded the 2.3 GB client.  Installed it.  Downloaded another gigabyte worth of patches.  Logged on.  Didn't make it ten minutes past the end of the tutorial before saying, "Oh yeah, THAT'S why I bailed on this game all those years ago." and unsubscribing before they could bill my card.

Ah well.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Ultima Online  |  Topic: Bat Country - Army of TWO!  
Jump to: