Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:48:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Magic: The Gathering Online  |  Topic: Hell, If we're going to talk Magic 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hell, If we're going to talk Magic  (Read 3395 times)
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

on: October 19, 2004, 09:27:47 AM

My wife is currently owning a league right now after drawing a distorting lens, a circle of protection and a vexing arcanix in her first 8th ed league draw.

The distorting lens is such a powerful card once it's used properly and she's managed to surprise many a player with it.  It can change the color of anything without a mana cost, so it protects against dark banishing and the like (that was a good one when I first saw it) and it can change any creature to any color; she likes changing two headed dragons (fully powered up) to white and then using the CoP:white.  It's quite lethal.

She also taught me a neat trick by using a Sage Owl on herself and then using Vexing arcanix on herself for the next 4 turns - viola, instant card draws using spare mana lying around the house.

Anyone else seen any combo's that have just surprised them by how nicely cool they are ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: October 19, 2004, 11:44:42 PM

I did the exact same thing in my 8E league (distorting lens, CoP: Green), plus most of the fatties are green so it works even without the lens. :P

Another lucky combo I've abused in MD5: Triskelion + Mephidross Vampire + Aether Vial. Even though I can't tutor for them, by turn 8-9 I'll usually have 6 free mana and 6 counters on the vial -> instant concede. And if not, there's always Skeleton Shard and Moriok Scavengers to bring the trike back and Myr Retriever to bring the shard back.

that said, I -suck-, I'm still at 20,8 / 20,6 in my leagues. I never played MTG or MTGO before, but still...

-- Z.

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: October 20, 2004, 12:32:03 AM

It takes a while to get good at MTGO. You have to learn to make decks, and learn how to play properly. When I first started playing I probably lost one league game a week to stupid mistakes like playing a combat trick or a regenerate a phase too late.

Right now my league rating is 27 after 3 weeks, I'm ranked 10th. Crossing my fingers for a strong finish!
----

One cool combo I saw in my current league was a guy playing Ion Storm + some modular guys + Wurmskin Forger + a combat trick that adds counters, etc etc.

When I first saw him play the Forger I thought "what the?!?" (I don't consider that a playable card in any format unless you are *desparate* for creatures. Then he played the Ion Storm a couple of turns later and it made sense. Very cool deck construction. If he gets out the Ion Storm and a few counters he can dominate the board, and it's pretty hard to kill as an enchantment in Mirrodin.
---

Today I was playing tiebreakers and I played a guy with a Masticore. (? 5/5 first strike, discard a card, deal 3 damage during upkeep) He got it out early in each of the first 2 games. In game 3 I sided in Necrogen Mists of all things...it was funny because I actually felt *guilty* doing it. I tend to play out my hands quicker than my opponents, often I am topdecking and my opponent has 4 cards in hand, so I figured it would even the score there and could help ruin the Masticore.

So, he plays Masticore. On my turn I play Fill with Fright and make him discard 2 of the 4 cards in his hand. On his turn I let him discard to pay the Masticore cost, then Shatter it. So he's lost Masticore and 3 cards for my 2 cards. A few turns later I draw Necrogen mists and figure what the hell and play it, he has one card in his hand. On his turn he is forced to discard fireball with exactly enough mana to kill me on that turn. I end up winning. Probably the only time I will ever be able to say that Necrogen Mists won me the game.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Anonymous

Email
Reply #3 on: October 20, 2004, 07:01:41 AM

Quote from: Zetor

Another lucky combo I've abused in MD5: Triskelion + Mephidross Vampire + Aether Vial.

Seen this one.  Vicious.
Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #4 on: October 20, 2004, 08:14:09 AM

Bah, disabled guest account posting for this forum (an honest mistake for whoever created the forum I guess).

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Magic: The Gathering Online  |  Topic: Hell, If we're going to talk Magic  
Jump to: