Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:54:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Pledge Case in SCOTUS 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Pledge Case in SCOTUS  (Read 7071 times)
Snowspinner
Terracotta Army

on: March 24, 2004, 07:13:32 PM

http://slate.msn.com/id/2097737/">Report of the oral arguments

CNN and others are reporting it so it sounds like a wash for the government, so I don't know what to make of Lithwick here. The New York Times appears more even-handed, so it may just be CNN sucking.

Serious possibility of a 4-4 tie, though, since Newdow got Scalia to recuse himself, unless they dodge it by ruling against Newdow having standing. In which case, by all appearances, someone who subsequently raised the issue would do well to hire Newdow as their lawyer.

I will bellow like the thunder drum, invoke the storm of war
A twisting pillar spun of dust and blood up from the prairie floor
I will sweep the foe before me like a gale out on the snow
And the wind will long recount the story, reverence and glory, when I go
personman
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: March 25, 2004, 04:53:54 AM

The irony is that pledge was originally supposed to be secular so as to avoid these sorts of problems, which was a pretty amazing mindset for the 1890s...

I can't shake the conviction this all started as a way to stick it to the ex-wife.  Having been through one divorce myself I simply can't conceive of burdening my daughter in the name of "being right in her eyes".  All this time spent fighting uphill to SCOTUS would be better spent taking the kid to the zoo or the park.
koboshi
Contributor

Camping is a legitimate strategy.

Reply #2 on: March 25, 2004, 10:48:30 AM

I can't shake the conviction this all started as a way to stick it to the ex-wife.

I agree, but then again my dad didn’t go to the Supreme Court for me when I blew off the pledge, so I’m still rooting for the guy.

-We must teach them Max!
Hey, where do you keep that gun?
-None of your damn business, Sam.
-Shall we dance?
-Lets!
Mediocre

Email
Reply #3 on: March 26, 2004, 04:57:53 PM

If it's thrown out on technical grounds because he doesn't have standing, I'm sure there are many like myself who would jump at the chance to be the next kid in line to follow the suit and get a real ruling out of it; 18, in high school, and having to listen to the pledge on a regular basis recited by the school officials.

IMO, I think they'll give a real ruling -- and it will be 5-3 against Newdow.
personman
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: March 26, 2004, 07:07:06 PM

I have no issue with the Pledge being required.  It would be nice if people found their own reasons to crawl out of the All About Me shell.  But they rarely do and all too often it becomes something that at best they thank their parents for after age thirty.
Mediocre

Email
Reply #5 on: March 27, 2004, 01:37:30 AM

The best argument against it being required was Jesse Venturas': "Patriotism is something which comes from the heart, not something you force onto people."

That, and if it's required, take out the Under God, mmkay?

Considering that we did just fine without it in the first place.
Daeven
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: March 29, 2004, 12:27:17 PM

Sweet mother of god! Don't confuse the plebian masses by implying that someone changed the pledge! Next you know some twit will be demanding we change the motto back to E Plurbis Unim, instead of In God We Trust!

"There is a technical term for someone who confuses the opinions of a character in a book with those of the author. That term is idiot." -SMStirling

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion
daveNYC
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: March 29, 2004, 01:04:29 PM

Quote from: Daeven
Sweet mother of god! Don't confuse the plebian masses by implying that someone changed the pledge! Next you know some twit will be demanding we change the motto back to E Plurbis Unim, instead of In God We Trust!

A quick check of my penny has me wondering what you're talking about.
DarkDryad
Terracotta Army

da hizzookup

Reply #8 on: March 30, 2004, 10:03:55 AM

Quote from: daveNYC

*Edit* Oops wrong phrase it means "out of many one"

BWL is funny tho.  It's like watching a Special Needs school take a field trip to a minefield.
DarkDryad
Terracotta Army

da hizzookup

Reply #9 on: March 30, 2004, 10:11:08 AM

I think what hes trying to get across is that over time or leaders have been slowly changing our from a neutral  no preference scociety where everyone is free to worship as they please to one where Christianity is trumpeted as the official religion but not enforced thus slowly giving way to the govenment sanctioned religions we fled england to escape.

That about sum it up bro?

BWL is funny tho.  It's like watching a Special Needs school take a field trip to a minefield.
DarkDryad
Terracotta Army

da hizzookup

Reply #10 on: March 30, 2004, 10:12:41 AM

Quote from: daveNYC

Actually the penny has both but only had Epluribus unum on it untill there was a huge religious uprising in this country around the civil war timeline.

Daeven
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: March 30, 2004, 02:30:30 PM

Quote from: DarkDryad
I think what hes trying to get across is that over time or leaders have been slowly changing our from a neutral  no preference scociety where everyone is free to worship as they please to one where Christianity is trumpeted as the official religion but not enforced thus slowly giving way to the govenment sanctioned religions we fled england to escape.

That about sum it up bro?

Pretty much. And it drives me nuts when the talking heads proclaim it has 'always' been that way. My counter is that they are absolutely correct, because, as we all know, time began in 1953.

(and just as an aside, how many other places can you still find the original motto? Not many unfortunately.)

"There is a technical term for someone who confuses the opinions of a character in a book with those of the author. That term is idiot." -SMStirling

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Pledge Case in SCOTUS  
Jump to: