Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:23:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: 360 - I ventured in to dangerous waters and came out alive 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 360 - I ventured in to dangerous waters and came out alive  (Read 969 times)
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

on: March 13, 2008, 06:03:39 AM

Monday afternoon I finally bought GH3 (my first GH venture). Monday evening my 360 dvd drive stared sounding like a lawnmower. Finally yesterday, it stopped playing anything. It would try to spin, give up, and just say unreadable.

Now I've had my Elite less than a year, so its under warranty, but finding the reciepts and all were going to be challenging. So, I started searching the intertubes.
Turns out, its a common issue. That can be fixed - by complete 360 surgery.

I used to work with circuit boards and electronics for a living in a scale shop, so I decided what the hell, its broke anyway... Took about half an hour to get the case off the 360 without the proper tools, but once I got past that it was easy. Turns out there is a steel washer in the middle of the drive spindle, that is held to the spindle by three little plastic dots. Plastic dots that get hot, and then melt. I opened up the dvd, and found the little washer sticking to the magnet oposite the spindle.

Glued it back on with some crazy glue, put it all back together, and it works like a dream. Thank FSM for people making youtube videos of them repairing thier own 360s in their basements...

Oh, and GH makes it very hard to type this. The tip of my index finger is bruised...

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: 360 - I ventured in to dangerous waters and came out alive  
Jump to: