Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:16:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Magic: The Gathering Online  |  Topic: Shadowmoor goes for hybrid mana theme 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Shadowmoor goes for hybrid mana theme  (Read 7605 times)
eldaec
Terracotta Army

on: March 07, 2008, 01:45:58 AM

Booster pack spoiled by wotc...

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=magic/preview/shmpack

That's a lot of hybrid.

Note the uncommon with hybrid cost 2/b 2/b 2/b

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 06:20:29 AM

Note the uncommon with hybrid cost 2/b 2/b 2/b

Thats going to create a lot of rules questions I'm sure.  swamp poop

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 06:27:44 AM

Seems obvious to me: Pay 2 colorless or a single black mana.

I like the direction of this block - taking the happy fantasy world to a darker place. 
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 06:33:55 AM

Seems obvious to me: Pay 2 colorless or a single black mana.

I mean stuff like, "If I reveal that card with Riddle of Lightning, whats the converted mana cost?"

Is it 3,4,5 or 6?

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 08:45:23 AM

Ah.  That is a harder question.  Knowing wizards, they'll make it whichever possiblity is highest.  smiley
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 12:31:08 PM

It's 6.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 04:36:02 PM

Turtle was correct.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 03:01:49 PM

Shadowmoor is on mtgo as of today.

There are no release leagues, because (as previously documented) wotc are retarded. However, they have invented a type of PE which is a bit like a league, where you play five consecutive matches and get prizes according to your record (prizes are based on number of wins, not position). The downside is you have to play all 5 consecutively. That said, even on v2, if you wanted to avoid matches against tiebreaker whores, then you pretty much had to play your 5 release league matches consecutively anyhow

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 10:36:19 AM

So...

I finally decided to give shadowmoor a go before the release events end.

I log on, that takes longer than starting fucking steam in its shitty period, but nvm, because after logging in you find....

Quote from: wotc guy
Due to continued issues with server performance will not be turning on queues at this time. We are doing everything we can to correct the problems we are all experiencing on MtGO.

We do not have an eta at this time for the return of drafts or PE's.

We will keep you updated as much as we can as we continue to work toward resolution.

We are very sorry for the frustration and inconvenience this has on our entire player base.

Ohhhhh, I see.

I gather drafts and PEs started getting really flaky last week, and they finally pulled the plug earlier this week.

Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: June 26, 2008, 11:36:10 AM

So...

I finally decided to give shadowmoor a go before the release events end.

I log on, that takes longer than starting fucking steam in its shitty period, but nvm, because after logging in you find....

Quote from: wotc guy
Due to continued issues with server performance will not be turning on queues at this time. We are doing everything we can to correct the problems we are all experiencing on MtGO.

We do not have an eta at this time for the return of drafts or PE's.

We will keep you updated as much as we can as we continue to work toward resolution.

We are very sorry for the frustration and inconvenience this has on our entire player base.

Ohhhhh, I see.

I gather drafts and PEs started getting really flaky last week, and they finally pulled the plug earlier this week.

I drafted for the first time in ages last weekend:

The client fucking drops me right after card selection,  but doesn't actually tell me it drops me until a number of  minutes later when I start going "Why haven't we moved to deckbuilding??"

I log back in,  to find that I have 54 seconds to build a deck.  Of course,  no deck gets built in that time and I get shitty autodeck of all my drafted cards, plus random land.

Get beat game 1,  going to fucking sideboarding THE CLIENT DROPS ME FOR THE SECOND TIME.  So I don't even get to "sideboard" in a real deck to have a chance.

I still almost won game 2.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: June 26, 2008, 09:41:45 PM

Welcome to new MTGO, same as the old MTGO.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: July 01, 2008, 01:36:54 PM

I finally got to play some Shadowmoor the other day. Observations:

It's fantastic for limited, the interaction of hybrid and colour matters works really well, it asks new questions about mana curve and support for cards with double/triple/quad hybrid mana needs. The -1/-1 thing is neat - though as most removal seems to be -1/-1 counters, it does mean creatures are slow/hard to remove, the untap mechanic is interesting in the small doses it comes in limited. White, black, and blue seem strongest. Card choice is interesting, almost everything is playable, but there are a lot of cards that look like bombs but are in fact rather average - and vice versa.

Seems a bit meh for constructed, I came out of my PE, thinking 'what cool casual stuff can I build'. Well, there's untap.dec, and there's -1-1.dec which build themselves, but not that much else really jumped out at me.

Talking of my release PE, I managed to win the damn thing, meaning I now have 25 boosters to use up drafting. In v3 (where drafts seem to be down half the damn time) that might be easier said than done.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Magic: The Gathering Online  |  Topic: Shadowmoor goes for hybrid mana theme  
Jump to: