Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 04:08:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Baseball '08 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Baseball '08  (Read 13261 times)
sidereal
Contributor

on: March 05, 2008, 05:29:09 PM

Two things.  One, is there any interest in Bat Country fantasy baseball this year?  I believe Yahoo is including HGH Injections as a stat this season.

Two, I'm working on a scoring system that rewards terrible players.  Sort of a negative version of fantasy baseball.  I'd rather do rotisserie, with stats being strikeouts, GIDP, errors, and avg but Yahoo doesn't allow you to flip the avg stat so that bad is good.  So it's a point-based head-to-head system instead, with the batting scoring system:
  • PA: 1pt
  • E: 2pt
  • CS: 3pt
  • K: 2pt
  • GIDP: 3pt
  • R: -2pt
  • H: -2pt
  • RBI: -2pt
  • TB: -1pt

And similar for pitchers. 

I'm looking for a few people to help me test out the scoring system this season.  Note that the draft is much less fun than a normal league (generally you pick a few guys that you think are going to suddenly get old or bad or pitch for the Rockies and have terrible years, then pick the rest of the mediocre players based on last year's stats), but it shines during the season when you're screaming for your pitcher to just walk one more run in.

THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVERY WANTED TO GET IN TO A BETA
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 07:07:23 PM

I'd be up for it. I'm going to start another thread on the regular style Yahoo fantasty baseball league, but yeah, since I am the master of fantasy sports mediocrity, I'd be up for this.

WayAbvPar

Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 07:50:20 AM

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 03:38:17 PM

Except HM has no draft, no league, no trading, and a single score per player.  But otherwise, THE SAME

THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVERY WANTED TO GET IN TO A BETA
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 07:33:20 AM

I'll be up for the regular Yahoo! league again this year.

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 08:23:23 AM

I'll be up for the regular Yahoo! league again this year.

Go here.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 03:33:22 PM

Back to ye old top of the forum!

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3602337

Very interesting article I think. These guys were mostly fools not to sign him for one year. Smells like collusion to me.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 04:53:51 PM

I don't think they are fools. I think they showed some rare better judgement. Fans hate him, period. They wouldn't show up to games with him on the team. If the Braves had signed him, I would have boycotted the season, and I'm a HUGE Braves fan. It would have been a slap in the face to everything Hank Aaron was and is. However, it's not like they didn't desperatedly need the power. The Braves have nobody worth a damn at left field, and they dumped Texiera after it became obvious the pitching was all on the DL.

I think the owners know without a doubt that he's a cheater and a PR nightmare. His production isn't worth the hassle.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: September 22, 2008, 04:56:39 PM

I don't think they are fools. I think they showed some rare better judgement. Fans hate him, period. They wouldn't show up to games with him on the team. If the Braves had signed him, I would have boycotted the season, and I'm a HUGE Braves fan. It would have been a slap in the face to everything Hank Aaron was and is. However, it's not like they didn't desperatedly need the power. The Braves have nobody worth a damn at left field, and they dumped Texiera after it became obvious the pitching was all on the DL.

I think the owners know without a doubt that he's a cheater and a PR nightmare. His production isn't worth the hassle.

Fans hate him? He got a standing ovation every time he scratched his nose in San Francisco. As soon as he won a game for whatever team he ended up on, they would have been in the same boat.

Collusion is the only logical answer; if MLB owners were that risk-averse the game would be a completely different place than what we see.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #9 on: September 22, 2008, 05:01:49 PM

Let me be clear. Fans OUTSIDE of SF hate him. SF fans are just dellusional and don't care that he ruined baseball with his shit. That's fan, the home field love is what it is. However, ask the average baseball fan what they think of Barry Bonds. The overwhelming majority are going to say that he's a cheating shitheel.

EDIT: I also left out the black fans who love him because he's black. Like Joe Morgan who can't shut up about him. He brings him up in more conversations than Madden talks about Farve.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: September 22, 2008, 05:31:13 PM

I think you're giving people too much credit for caring about the "integrity of the game". Everyone knows that the number of steroid-using players is vast, pinning 'ruining baseball' on Barry Bonds is going overboard.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #11 on: September 22, 2008, 10:13:34 PM

I think you're giving people too much credit for caring about the "integrity of the game". Everyone knows that the number of steroid-using players is vast, pinning 'ruining baseball' on Barry Bonds is going overboard.

I disagree. If there is, without a doubt, the posterboy of the steroids era of baseball, it will always be Barry Bonds. He is the face of all that is wrong with the game. He didn't do it alone, but he's been the most outspoken, the most defensive, and also "broke" one of the biggest individual records.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #12 on: September 23, 2008, 09:25:43 AM

Back to ye old top of the forum!

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3602337

Very interesting article I think. These guys were mostly fools not to sign him for one year. Smells like collusion to me.

Fuck that. Fuck Barry Bonds. No one should have signed him. It would have been pissing money down a hole, and he would have asked for way more money than he was worth. He can't play the outfield, and when he does, he sucks at it hard. So he's a DH at best, and a banged up DH with bad knees, a pisspoor team attitude and toxic hate from all of baseball. Signing him would have been foolish. And let's also not forget that except for 2002, he has been a major postseason choker.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: September 23, 2008, 01:12:35 PM

He was asking for the league minimum I think?

Re: postseason stuff, the only answer is sample size. You can pull random 6 and 7 game samples out of any player's history that will look similarly mediocre.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #14 on: September 28, 2008, 07:36:25 PM

No New York teams made the playoffs. I can honestly say that with the Braves out, that pretty much makes my season right there.

Now if the Red Sox could lose in the first round...

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #15 on: September 29, 2008, 04:53:04 PM

100 years of pain... over? PLEASE?

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: September 29, 2008, 05:10:14 PM

Yeah I am hoping for the Cubs to win just so everyone can shut the fuck up about it already.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #17 on: October 05, 2008, 01:49:57 PM

Yeah I am hoping for the Cubs to win just so everyone can shut the fuck up about it already.

Not so much on that one. I honestly believe they are cursed. When you get dominated that badly at home, it's just pitiful. I think if the Dodgers continue to play the way they did in that series against the Phillies, they are a lock for the World Series shot.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #18 on: October 06, 2008, 09:14:18 AM

Yep, we're fucking cursed. Literally. The team that played in the regular season was not the same team as in the postseason. Shitty defense, shaky pitching, anemic offense. How does a team go in to a collective slump right at the exact wrong time?

FUCK. It burns like VD.

cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: October 15, 2008, 12:10:53 PM

How 'bout them Rays.....

:D :D

f13 Street Cred of the week:
I can't promise anything other than trauma and tragedy. -- schild
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #20 on: October 16, 2008, 09:17:05 PM

Quite a meltdown tonight. Should have left Kazmir in.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #21 on: October 16, 2008, 09:22:10 PM

Quite a meltdown tonight. Should have left Kazmir in.

Tampa needs to rebound. You can shake this off. Bad luck in a bad place. I'd rather win at home. Force those thoughts.

WayAbvPar

Reply #22 on: October 17, 2008, 08:44:30 AM

Hope the bad Tampa juju transfers from the baseball team to the football team. The Seahawks need all the help they can get Sunday night.

If Boston comes back and wins this their fans will be even more intolerable than they are now (if that is possible).

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #23 on: October 17, 2008, 11:30:35 AM

Hope the bad Tampa juju transfers from the baseball team to the football team. The Seahawks need all the help they can get Sunday night.

By help, I assume you mean a defense, a run offense and a healthy starting QB.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #24 on: October 19, 2008, 12:31:38 PM

If the Sox make a comeback win tonight, baseball is officially over for me. I refuse to watch two teams I can't stand play each other in the World Series.

Come on Rays, don't blow it now!

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #25 on: October 21, 2008, 11:37:43 AM

So, picks on the World Series?

I'm going with Rays in 6.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: October 21, 2008, 11:51:53 AM

Phillies in 5.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: October 21, 2008, 12:06:54 PM

I'm not really a baseball fan, but I'll say Rays in 7.  For the drama.

Over and out.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #28 on: October 21, 2008, 12:07:32 PM

Rays in 7.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: October 22, 2008, 09:04:06 PM

Lidge is just filthy.

-H.L. Mencken
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #30 on: October 22, 2008, 11:21:23 PM

Lidge is just filthy.

I hate the Phillies.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: October 23, 2008, 07:44:26 PM

Jason Werth looks so much like a current actor. But I can't place who it is. It's bugging me.

-H.L. Mencken
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #32 on: October 23, 2008, 09:46:08 PM

Jason Werth looks so much like a current actor. But I can't place who it is. It's bugging me.

He looks like the character Danny from Caddyshack to me.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: October 29, 2008, 07:53:02 PM

Phillies in 5.

I should have put money down on this.

-H.L. Mencken
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #34 on: November 02, 2008, 06:22:27 AM

Indeed you should have. I wonder what the odds of suspended game in the 6th would have been in Vegas  awesome, for real

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Baseball '08  
Jump to: