Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 28, 2024, 11:22:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: After 9 years, I get a new job 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: After 9 years, I get a new job  (Read 13878 times)
Arcadian Del Sol
Terracotta Army

on: October 15, 2004, 06:11:19 AM

I'm leaving my super duper elite secret security position with a DoD contractor to be a General Manager for Chik-Fil-A.

I love food service and customer service jobs. Yes its a huge loss in income for me, and the hours are nuttier, but I thrive at a job where people show up because they know that they're going to have fun at work.

Its an odd feeling, after driving to this federal building for nine years, and putting up with nine years of bullshit and unilaterally immature management - I guess when you work in the gorilla exhibit, you can't be indignant over the feces throwing. You just have to realize one day that you're tired of having to pick up thrown monkey feces, and you need to do something different - something with other humans.

So buh-bye CACI, International - hello, sweet brine chicken breasts.

unbannable
Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: October 15, 2004, 06:19:22 AM

..the hell?

...any religion that rejects coffee worships a false god.
-Numtini
toma levine
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: October 15, 2004, 06:23:11 AM

If this is serious, I sincerely hope you've worked in the fast food industry previously and you know exactly what to look forward to.
schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: October 15, 2004, 06:24:17 AM

This shit should be on /.

I mean, if you're happy then congrats are in order...I think.

If this is a joke. Don't do that, it's just too strange.
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: October 15, 2004, 06:30:53 AM

How'd you skip fry duty? And assistant manager?  You lucky bastard!
Dark Vengeance
Delinquents

Reply #5 on: October 15, 2004, 06:31:23 AM

Emphasis on GENERAL, not on Manager. My expectation is that Arc has landed a job overseeing several locations. Unless I'm mistaken, he isn't actually going to be handling chicken or working a register. Back in my convenience store days, we referred to this as a district or regional manager.

I can see how this would still be a big pay cut, without necessarily taking him into the realm of wearing paper hats, plastic gloves, and earning roughly SQUAT per hour.

Bring the noise.
Cheers............
Mi_Tes
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: October 15, 2004, 06:52:08 AM

At least you will have Sundays off - isn't Chik-Fil-a one of the only fast food restaurants that isn't open on Sundays?

Good luck, but having done food service jobs part time and summers in college, those kinds of jobs aren't like what you see in the "FISH" video of the Seattle fish market where people are having fun at work, it is pretty much the opposite, with people there just for money, and not much of that.

And given any management job, know you may find yourself filling in at any other position under since you are now responsible.  Hands on management is not nearly as glamorous as it looks (it is like being a kindergarten teacher for adults and all their HR issues - the lower level the employee, the more issues you have).  I hope you know what you are getting into and have left open the possibility of getting your old job back in 6 months when reality takes hold.

We never do anything half-assed, with us its either full-ass or no-ass!
To win is not always a victory, to lose not always a failure.
El Gallo
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: October 15, 2004, 07:06:45 AM

I flipped burgers back in high school, so I have a soft spot for the industry.  Be sure to hire lots of buxom high school students to work the counter.

This post makes me want to squeeze into my badass red jeans.
Arcadian Del Sol
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: October 15, 2004, 07:17:37 AM

1. I just wanted to share a milestone among friendly company, and get your support/advice, et. al.

2. its no joke

3. General Manager of a specific franchise

4. I've been a restaurant manager before, and it was the best job I ever had.

Now to clarifiy why this isn't a 'drive-thru attendant' job: Chik-Fil-A is a network of independant private businesses. The store I'm going to is owned by a lifelong friend of mine who is the outright owner. He pays the rent and he writes my paycheck. My job will be to make sure that when he's not there, he's still there - get the meaning? Its not BAD money - I'm going to make about 5k less than I do here, and I'll get a % of the profits as a monthly bonus.

I realize I 'fill in' for holes in the schedule - but I do live 5 minutes away. Presently, my job is 2.5 hours away. I'll STILL be home more hours than I've ever been.

I'm not saying its slacker-work - its hard work, but with the right management, a business like that CAN be fun, and people CAN care. Our best crew leader right now is 17 years old, and he's the most responsible and mature 17 year old I've ever seen.

For an outfit like this to really work, you need a good owner, a good manager, and at least 2 good crew leaders - so we're 1 good hire away from having a huge success.

unbannable
schild
Administrator

Reply #9 on: October 15, 2004, 07:21:11 AM

Hm, maybe I should come by and order a #....uhm, yea, I don't really have the menu memorized, but I do love me some Chik-Fil-A. What location are you running (I assume it's in NoVA, DC, or MD).

And since it's serious, congrats. the Fil-A is a nicer joint than most of the other crap out there and their chicken recipes are superb.

Edit: On second thought, I don't even want to know what the location is.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #10 on: October 15, 2004, 07:23:10 AM

When you quit your l33t job, can I have your stuff?

Edit:  oops... and good luck to you!  If you have to work anyway... I'm all for it being a job you enjoy!  Save me a leg!

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: October 15, 2004, 07:24:41 AM

The goal all of us have is to work at a job we like getting up for in the morning.  If this is that for you Arc, then I say it's a great move.  Making a little less cash is nothing if you're going to be happier in the rest of your life.  I personally turned down a job a couple of years back that paid over double what I currently make because the atmosphere would have made me insane.  It's all about what you value in life.

I guess the cliche is that you can't put a price on happiness.  Sounds to me like you have made a solid move.  The only concern that I'd have is having a friend as a boss.  That can either be a great or nightmare situation without much room in the middle.

In any event, good luck!  The transitions in life can be a lot of fun.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Jayce
Terracotta Army

Diluted Fool

Reply #12 on: October 15, 2004, 07:29:16 AM

Funny, I never saw you as a DoD type.  That makes your writings for CGW et al even more impressive (I thought you were a journalist type for some reason).

I haven't always agreed with your opinions on ... well, almost everything, but I respect someone who takes a pay cut to do something they love.  I had a cinema manager job in college and it was one of my favorite jobs too.  Fortunately my post-grad job is just as fulfilling, so I don't have to agonize over whether I should think about a similar move ;)

So to summarize, fame and renown to you for making the move.

Witty banter not included.
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: October 15, 2004, 07:29:43 AM

Quote from: Dren
How'd you skip fry duty? And assistant manager?  You lucky bastard!

I wasn't joking just in case you thought I was Arc.  Well, ok the first part was a joke (from Coming to America.)  The last part I truly meant.  Good luck to you.

As long as you can provide for you and yours AND you actually enjoy yourself, you are in the chips. (or fries in this case.)

Now that you've given more details it also sounds like something you could turn into much more.  I'd try to learn the biz from your friend and start your own store once you get the experience and the cash.  If you are getting along with your friend, make it a joint business opportunity.  Sounds good to me.
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: October 15, 2004, 07:33:38 AM

Congrats Arc!

P.S. Eat Mor Chiken

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
DarkDryad
Terracotta Army

da hizzookup

Reply #15 on: October 15, 2004, 07:39:31 AM

As a supar secret gubbment contractor who works 4.5 hrs from home I can fully understand your logic. I'm actually looking for something else in my pay range as well. Good on ya brotha.

BWL is funny tho.  It's like watching a Special Needs school take a field trip to a minefield.
Jayce
Terracotta Army

Diluted Fool

Reply #16 on: October 15, 2004, 07:43:47 AM

Quote from: Soukyan
Congrats Arc!

P.S. Eat Mor Chiken

Oh yeah, thanks for bringing this up.

One request, for what it's worth:  THE COWS ARE PLAYED OUT.  Talk the national advertising people into coming up with something fresh.

Ok, thanks, just had to get that off my chest.

Arcadian Del Sol
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: October 15, 2004, 07:48:20 AM

in 24 months, a new 'stand alone' unit is being build 5 blocks away. The golden rule when it comes to awarding new franchises is when a present owner is going to be impacted by a new location, that owner gets 'first dibs' and we both want the new unit BADLY.

But if we dont get it, we're going to find something else.

Somebody in the thread said they pegged me as a journalist instead of a DoD IT tech based on my writing - and not to self-indulge here in this very self-indulgent thread, but I have a story I'd like to share...

I was working at a local mall many many years ago and the bookstore down the hallway was having a book signing by a well known fantasy fiction novelist. Because I worked the mall, it was pretty easy to get early in line - but when the biggest snowstorm in 8 years hit that morning, I WAS the line. So I got several books signed, and this author was kind enough to invite me to hang around and talk about his books, what I thought of the ongoing storylines, and when he asked me if I had aspirations to be a writer and I said, "i dunno, maybe" he gave me one of the most important rap sessions of my life. He said, and I paraphrase because my memory fails  me:

"The difference between being a writer, and being a successful writer is very narrow. A writer will eat peanut-butter sandwiches for dinner, but a successful writer will eat tuna sandwiches for dinner on Sundays. So the question is, other than living in a cardboard box and eating peanut butter to survive, how can anyone be a writer? They take jobs as clerks, as waitresses, they sweep floors and they drive trucks. They deliver pizza and they find work as subtitute teachers - they even take jobs working at the local shopping mall.

"When I do book signings or bookTV spots, people ask me how to break into the writing business, and I guess I'm surprised because its really so uncomplicated that I'm afraid to let the cat out of the bag - but I tell them, the key to being published as a writer, is to be a good writer - and the key to being a good writer, is to read good books. Grammer skills and spellings skills, of course - and its assumed those are already learned, but ultimately, no degree in literature or journalism is going to get you a four book deal - the only way to get a book deal is to simply write a good book. No book gets published because someone says, "I would like to write a good book." They get published because someone raises a hand and says, "I have written a good book." So you want to be a writer? Go down the mall to a card shop and buy yourself a journal, a pencil, and a pencil sharpener - when the book is out of pages, go back and buy another one. If you're not asleep, write something. If you're not at the dentist getting a tooth drilled, write something - write until you absolutely cannot write another word because one of two thing will happen - you'll either find it tedious and boring and you'll quit, or you'll get addicted to it. If you find it tedious, then you've just saved yourself from a lot of wasted time. If you find yourself addicted, well, I share your pain and I wish you all the success in the world."

So I asked him more about the 'working at the mall and waiting tables part' and specifically, asked why, just buying a journal and a pencil makes a store clerk into a writer...

Never let others define you. Tell them what your definition is. Never be defined by what you do. Be defined by what you are. The guy who busses tables at Shoneys to pay for guitar strings for his band that plays bars on weekends isn't a bus-boy: he's a musician. The guy who works at the supermarket bagging groceries and goes to school at night to be a doctor isn't a bag boy - he's a med student. Your paycheck isn't who you are, its how you pay your bills, and nothing more.

That writer was Robert Salvatore, and in the space of about 15 minutes, he made a profound change in my life. From that moment on, I've always considered myself a writer, and never defined myself by what I did to pay the mortgage. My paycheck is not who I am, its just how I pay my bills - and nothing more.

unbannable
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #18 on: October 15, 2004, 07:50:35 AM

I have a spot in my heart of the Chik-Fil-A people since they are headquartered in my home town of Atlanta. Oh, and because I get breakfast biscuits there every weekend.

Chicken biscuits r0xx0r my b0xx0rs!

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #19 on: October 15, 2004, 08:53:09 AM

Hey, I'm glad you're moving on to something that makes you happier, it's something everyone should consider occasionally. Being happy trumps just about everything else, in my book.

But I have to ask....do you have to wear a hat?

:p

The guy who busses tables at Shoneys to pay for guitar strings for his band that plays bars on weekends isn't a bus-boy: he's a musician.

Words of wisdom. 11 years after the death of my professional music career, I still refer to myself as a musician when someone asks. The arts are like that, they are in your blood, or they probably never will be. And the only way you'll know is to jump in and try for a couple years.

I can also empathize with looking for equitable re-employment, state and county budget cuts are about to render me unemployed (all libraries in the country have been slashed 25% across the board).
personman
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: October 15, 2004, 08:54:11 AM

Brave move, and I wish you the best.  Follow your bliss, no matter how many hollow fatgrams may be entailed... :-)
Fargull
Contributor

Reply #21 on: October 15, 2004, 09:04:34 AM

I have had the pleasure of sitting in on several panels that Bob was talking in and the part about being who you are is spot on from what I remember.  The only damn thing to strike me strange was his accent, I was just not prepared for it.

Robert Jordan is another writer I have had the pleasure of sitting on a panel with, he acts like a DI untill his wife is around....

Congratz, damn, if I could find a wait job paying what I make now I would be all over it.  Never had more pussy than when I was waiting tables...

"I have come to believe that a great teacher is a great artist and that there are as few as there are any other great artists. Teaching might even be the greatest of the arts since the medium is the human mind and spirit." John Steinbeck
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #22 on: October 15, 2004, 09:19:44 AM

Quote from: Sky
Words of wisdom. 11 years after the death of my professional music career, I still refer to myself as a musician when someone asks. The arts are like that, they are in your blood, or they probably never will be. And the only way you'll know is to jump in and try for a couple years.

I can also empathize with looking for equitable re-employment, state and county budget cuts are about to render me unemployed (all libraries in the country have been slashed 25% across the board).

Good luck to you too, man. My old man works in a library, but he's about to leave too.

Would you rather work in a totally unrelated job, or something still slightly music-oriented? I highly doubt that I'm going to be a rockstar or something, but I get some good work making royalty free music and such for my bro's web design/multimedia business. It keeps me happy, at least more than something non-music related. Same goes for acting. I'm still shooting for stars there, but I'll take working in, say, a "theater-themed" restaurant, rather than fast food.

You went to sound engineering school too, right? You're probably a lot more qualified than I am for music and sound work. Have you looked much? Or can you move out of state to do it?
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: October 15, 2004, 09:23:37 AM

Good luck with the new job. Heck the time savings from the commute ALONE would justify the move in my mind. Even if you work nuttier hours I would much rather be at work doing something rather than stuck in a car wasting my time for that much of the day.

And with gas prices/car wear  the way they are heck the pay rates probably come out to be a wash.

Kaid
WayAbvPar

Reply #24 on: October 15, 2004, 09:27:58 AM

I realize I 'fill in' for holes in the schedule - but I do live 5 minutes away. Presently, my job is 2.5 hours away.

IMO, that more than makes up for the 5k difference in salary. Having an extra 10+ hours a week of leisure time is a GOOD THING.

I am resisting the urge to make a snarky comment about Salvatore. Just pretend I said something unkind but amusing here =)

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
AOFanboi
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: October 15, 2004, 09:30:24 AM

Quote from: Paelos
I have a spot in my heart of the Chik-Fil-A people since they are headquartered in my home town of Atlanta.

So, you also drink Coca-Cola and watch CNN, then? :)

Congrats to AdS for escaping Purgatory.

Current: Mario Kart DS, Nintendogs
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #26 on: October 15, 2004, 09:35:18 AM

Quote from: AOFanboi
Quote from: Paelos
I have a spot in my heart of the Chik-Fil-A people since they are headquartered in my home town of Atlanta.

So, you also drink Coca-Cola and watch CNN, then? :)

Congrats to AdS for escaping Purgatory.

Coke? Damn right I do.

CNN? Only if I have to. My cold republican heart likes the easy listening tones of FoxNews. It's your network for evil.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
ArtificialKid
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: October 15, 2004, 10:17:25 AM

Quote from: WayAbvPar
I am resisting the urge to make a snarky comment about Salvatore. Just pretend I said something unkind but amusing here =)

Ya me too.
Jayce
Terracotta Army

Diluted Fool

Reply #28 on: October 15, 2004, 10:23:38 AM

Presently, my job is 2.5 hours away.

Wow, I missed that edit.

Speaking as someone who moved halfway across the country to (among other reasons) get away from Houston's 1 hour commute, I think you will be MUCH MUCH happier if only for that.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: October 15, 2004, 10:57:28 AM

I am glad to hear you found a job you enjoy. I'm in a job that isn't as bad as I feared it would be but who knows, a year from now I may be in your shoes. Keep us informed.

BTW, if you ever need someone to test new Chik-Fila products I'm around. Your guys food rocks compared to most other fast food

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Joe
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: October 15, 2004, 11:05:18 AM

Congratulations, Arc. Realistically, are you really losing much? A 5 hour commute (though probably not by car, I'll assume) can't be much cheaper than $5k yearly, no?
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #31 on: October 15, 2004, 11:39:09 AM

Have you looked much? Or can you move out of state to do it?

Right now I'm waiting to see how the budget falls out. I've put together plans for a nice little ranch on which I'll have a nice little studio and do freelance work in the area, if I keep the job.

If not, I'm keeping all options open. I'm downloading the free version of ProTools this weekend and getting reacquainted with computer-based recording, I haven't worked on mixing software since 1992 ;) nor touched a board since 1994 or early 95, so I'm pretty damned rusty (and only 3 semesters in music school before band pressures forced a move up the coast to Frisco).

The most attractive option I'm considering right now is heading up to Potsdam to the Berklee School of Music and finishing off my studio engineering degree and then whoring myself out to the entertainment industry (including game developers).

Sorry for the mini-derail, Arc. The morlock in me, I guess!
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: October 15, 2004, 11:40:05 AM

Man, I live directly across the street from a Jack-In-The-Box, but I still wouldn't work there no matter *how* fast the commute is...

Just kidding, congrats :)

(Actually, my job is only about 3 blocks further away, anyhoo.  Although, with traffic, it's about a 10-minute walk.    Goddamn college towns; several thousand commuters, and everyone's so damn busy trying to beat the traffic by avoiding the main streets that it's actually faster to drive on those main roads because everyone's avoiding them.  So much for higher edumacation teaching people to think...)

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
AlteredOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: October 15, 2004, 11:50:10 AM

From what I've seen, Chik-Fil-A is the upper tier of fast food.  Don't know how their franchise model works, but I've never had a negative experience at a Chik-Fil-A, so they must be doing something right with quality control.  Hardee's is the absolute worst, and KFC is pretty miserable too.  I've never found a badly kept Chik-Fil-A with nasty bathrooms and such, and the food always seems fresh and juicy.

So there ya go, sounds like it might just beat the hell out of working for a nefarious faceless government military contractor.  You can look at all those happy children munching on chik nuggets, and feel a sense of power over their culinary destiny!
personman
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: October 15, 2004, 11:57:46 AM

I think it's just the idea of fast fried food - bleh.  I used to do a lot of long-term projects in Atlanta and immediately got sick of CFA as everyone else on my teams felt compelled to go everyday for lunch.

I liked Atlanta for the people - in all other respects it made me think of a  prettier version of Houston dropped into East Texas.  I love East Texas but I hate Houston passionately. (I've learned three times the hard way it's the wrong town to be in when the economy tanks)
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: After 9 years, I get a new job  
Jump to: