Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:07:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Magic: The Gathering Online  |  Topic: For anyone still doubting. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: For anyone still doubting.  (Read 6719 times)
Aez
Terracotta Army

on: February 20, 2008, 07:07:36 PM

For anyone still doubting that WotC was purposely sabotaging MTGO :

http://www.wizards.com/magic/playmagic/Sizzle/sizzle_en.html

It's an elaborate online ad I saw on Penny Arcade.  I doesn't contain a single link to MTGO.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 08:43:20 PM

It's an elaborate online ad I saw on Penny Arcade.  I doesn't contain a single link to MTGO.

?

That's an ad for Wizards annual summer "bring in the noobs" events for stores,  which are heavily subsidized with prizes.  I'm not sure why that has any relevance for MODO.
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 08:54:29 PM

?

That's an ad for Wizards annual summer "bring in the noobs" events for stores,  which are heavily subsidized with prizes.  I'm not sure why that has any relevance for MODO.

Because it might, you know, exponentially expand the market of MTG players… …being able to click a few buttons online as opposed to being seen in public with a bunch of dorks in a comic book store…

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 02:37:44 PM

The quality and production value of that ad is also much much better than MTGO.  It just show that they can actually do something when they really care.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 02:47:51 PM

They want to shutter the online game but they can't for fear of lawsuits. So they are sabotaging MTGO to dive people away.  And when the numbers get low enough, that be justification to shutter it. Kinda like the plot of Major League.  Is that the conspiracy theory?

"Me am play gods"
Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 03:01:26 PM

Yes, that exactly it!  They also use moles on the intarweb to discredit anyone that uncover their evil plot.  Said moles usually have strange avatar of a burly guy (them) abusing a geek(us)!
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 03:28:56 PM

Some conspiracies are true.  If Wizards thought MTGO was a mistake, they be a sticky position.  Can't sell it.  Can't close it.  But at ridiculous price of MTGO, its hard to imagine them thinking it was a mistake.  It would take truely monumental stupidity for someone to not be able to make a good profit off of a money tree.

"Me am play gods"
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 03:57:34 PM

Reading between the lines it looks like there are two major problems:

1. They are afraid online magic will cut into paper sales.

2. The people in charge of the digital division were chosen based on the typical Wizard practice of hiring and promoting from inside the inner circle of nerds rather than based on talent.

It's pretty clear that few people in the digital division know much about software, and they hire other equally clueless people. The job descriptions they advertise for are a total mess, stressing the wrong technology and products and actively driving away anyone competent.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 04:43:10 PM

2. The people in charge of the digital division were chosen based on the typical Wizard practice of hiring and promoting from inside the inner circle of nerds rather than based on talent.

It's pretty clear that few people in the digital division know much about software, and they hire other equally clueless people. The job descriptions they advertise for are a total mess, stressing the wrong technology and products and actively driving away anyone competent.

How can they produce such a good ad then?
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008, 06:22:14 PM

The ad is Flash-based. They either contracted it out or gave it to some Flash expert withing the company. Writing an interactive Flash ad is quite different from programming a client/server game in C#.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Magic: The Gathering Online  |  Topic: For anyone still doubting.  
Jump to: