Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:33:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: PC memory advice 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: PC memory advice  (Read 1098 times)
sinij
Terracotta Army

on: February 08, 2008, 01:07:32 PM

I used to run CM2X1024-8500C5 2x 1G matched Corsair dual channel kit up until few months back when one of the memory sticks fried. I sent it back to Corsair and just today got warranty replacement back.

It fried on a Friday night, and not wanting to be stuck with a dead PC over weekend I picked up best I could find in a local computer shop - Twin2X4096-6400C5 G

I have M2N-SLI motherboard. What would be ideal configuration with my two memory kits? If I use both, would I lose dual-channel functionality? What about timings, 2 1G kit I had run at 4-4-4-12, I don't think 4G kit would handle anything more than 5-5-5-15.

Do I even need 6G of memory with WinXP64?

Please someone share some sage advice.

Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 04:00:32 PM

I think you'd be fine with 4 gig; I run just about anything with just 2 on a 32 bit platform without much hampering.

As to having two 1 gig and two 2 gig sticks in the same box, I might be wrong, but you wouldn't lose dual channel functionality, but it is designed to work with equal quanty sticks.

I'd just stick in the 4 gigs and run a memory test, then add the 2 gigs and run another, see what your numbers look like.

This one's simple to use http://cpuinfo.visualware.com/

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: PC memory advice  
Jump to: