Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:43:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Game Design/Development  |  Topic: Think you can design a NASA-based educational MMO? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Think you can design a NASA-based educational MMO?  (Read 10050 times)
Trippy
Administrator

on: January 17, 2008, 11:14:26 PM

Well here's your chance to submit a proposal:

http://procurement.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/eps/synopsis.cgi?acqid=128415
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 11:50:25 PM

Hunh.  I can't really tell if they just want a design or if they want a design and a commitment to actually implement it.

Making it a MMO seems like a really strange choice to me.  I'm thinking the way to go would be to do ATitD but with launching rockets instead of building pyramids.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 03:03:33 AM

Alpha Centauri + physics + network code = win.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 05:00:19 AM

I think a fledgling moon or mars colony would be neat.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 07:38:43 AM

Giggity.

I'm going to just assume this works like any other bid, which means I don't have to have anything real, just an unrealistic proposal.

EDIT: My new term for MOG is "persistent immersive synthetic environment", or PISE.  Sounds like PIES when you say it.  I like PIES.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 07:41:52 AM by Yegolev »

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
schild
Administrator

Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 08:34:41 AM

Persistant Immersive Environmental Synthesis.

I think that's an actual system in place in Spore.

I hear Will Wright likes PIES too.
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 08:51:45 AM

This Orbiter sim was linked from the slashdot comments.

Here was my Space Elevator game idea from 2004:
Sim Space Elevator is a simulation environment where the user builds their own Space Elevator. It could be along the same lines and in the same vein as games like Outpost, Sim City, and Space Station Manager. The purpose of the sim would be to generate interest in Space Elevator technology and of coarse at the same time be fun.

The user would receive X amount of money to research the technologies required to build a Space Elevator. The user would allocate their research funds towards different fields such as rocketry, nano technology, military, and others. Once a sufficient level of research was achieved the user would be in charge of selecting a site to build the Space Elevator and then actually building the elevator out of modules. Other elements like protecting the elevator from attack, union strikes, accidents, and other events while it was being built could be included.

Earth could be the original building location for the space elevator but other locations like Luna, Mars, or asteroids could be included at more advanced levels.

Prototype DirectX7 planet screen shot included!

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008, 11:03:15 AM

I just forwarded this to the people who need to know in my company. I have a good proposal for this, And its in our field.

/Crosses fingers it gets acted on

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Waldo
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 01:19:20 AM

We've been toying with a game prototype at the University of Central Florida a while - it's an MMO set in a sort of retro-future moon colony which will experiment with teaching physics concepts to college freshmen.  Here's a link to some info on the project --> http://sulley.dm.ucf.edu/~retro/LunarQuest/

It's definitely interesting to think about what it would take to make a game like this for NASA.  Firstly, it can't be completely realistic.  Realism isn't fun except for flight sim-type geeks.  Realism means you'd sign up for playing on a Mars colony game, then wait 200 days before your character "arrived". 

Think about how you'd make a game that could have thousands of players simultaneously in space - which means forget modern day or even near future, unless you're willing to change history a bit or not allow players to interact together.  Think about how you set up a game that lets players advance via showing knowledge and learning.  Think about a game that has no combat (but perhaps death) but still allows some competition. 

It's an interesting design challenge that goes far beyond just being a game, or just being an educational tool.
Jack9
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: December 12, 2008, 10:49:26 AM

C64's http://www.greatgamesexperiment.com/game/projectspacestation was awesome.

Scheduling launches, planning science experiments on the space station, half the flights were needed for reassembling/repairing/restaffing the station (along with weight and volume limits), and the ever-unpopular "land it or lose it" for the 2 shuttles.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #10 on: December 16, 2008, 05:11:51 PM

I guess my "reskin ATITD" was a bad idea.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #11 on: December 16, 2008, 06:55:36 PM

Scheduling launches, planning science experiments on the space station, half the flights were needed for reassembling/repairing/restaffing the station (along with weight and volume limits), and the ever-unpopular "land it or lose it" for the 2 shuttles.

Can you stop necroing random crap in this forum?

-Rasix
Stephen Zepp
Developers

InstantAction

Reply #12 on: December 17, 2008, 06:45:54 PM

Can you stop necroing random crap in this forum?

Why exactly? Not everyone is a guest or member when things are posted, and his point was completely on topic.

Rumors of War
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #13 on: December 17, 2008, 07:02:24 PM

And besides, that game was great. I don't even know how many hours I dumped into it.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #14 on: December 18, 2008, 10:09:07 AM

Thanks, new guy, I barely remember that game but it gave me a quick blast to the past. I remember watching my older brother play it. Good stuff.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #15 on: December 18, 2008, 11:46:08 AM

Stop posting in here unless you are discussing the original topic and no, games about NASA on the C64 don't count.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Game Design/Development  |  Topic: Think you can design a NASA-based educational MMO?  
Jump to: