Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:36:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: More GTA legal madness 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: More GTA legal madness  (Read 10295 times)
TripleDES
Terracotta Army

on: October 11, 2004, 08:20:24 AM

While this would be the same old fad, some assclown managed to churn out a more insane variation of it.

Florida-based lawyer Jack Thompson has launched his latest attack on the interactive entertainment industry, telling the media that Grand Theft Auto was used by a Massachusetts teenager to prepare for a planned massacre at his high school.

"The technique of killing civilians and then first-responders when they get there is the primary scenario to win in all the Grand Theft Auto games," he is quoted as saying in newspaper reports over the weekend, before going on to accuse GTA titles of being "killing simulators actually used by gangs."

http://gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=4843

GTA, the hyper realistic combat training VR simulator.

Makes me wonder how someone can tackle the effort of becoming a lawyer while being dimwit enough to make up that type of shit. I can already imagine two gang factions sitting in the basement training for the upcoming gang fight.

EVE (inactive): Deakin Frost -- APB (fukken dead): Kayleigh (on Patriot).
WayAbvPar

Reply #1 on: October 11, 2004, 08:45:12 AM

"The technique of killing civilians and then first-responders when they get there is the primary scenario to win in all the Grand Theft Auto games," he is quoted as saying in newspaper reports over the weekend, before going on to accuse GTA titles of being "killing simulators actually used by gangs."

Until I see video evidence of A) this fucktard lawyer playing GTA and exclusively using this strategy, and B) video evidence of gangs (ooh, scary!) doing the same, he can go jump up his own ass.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: October 11, 2004, 09:07:21 AM

I'm sure this had nothing to do with poor parenting and an undiagnosed mental illness. When will the frivilous lawsuits end?

I'll agree that violent video games do play a role in desensitization, but to claim they are the cause of acts like these is ludicrous.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
TripleDES
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: October 11, 2004, 09:11:32 AM

Well, I'm more amazed that someone claims that someone uses GTA to "plan" their attacks.

EVE (inactive): Deakin Frost -- APB (fukken dead): Kayleigh (on Patriot).
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #4 on: October 11, 2004, 09:17:28 AM

I love how they use the term "killing simulator" as some sort of boogie man tactic to make people think that playing this game will make you adept at killing.

Because as we all know, playing a game with a game pad or mouse really prepares oneself for the difficult task of aiming and pulling the trigger. Yeah, I remember thinking when I was shooting guns with my dad that this felt EXACTLY like moving a mouse and clicking.

What a fucking tool. What I'd like some smart judge to do is have this Jack Thompson fuckwad play GTA for 6 hours, then take him to a shooting range and have him shoot at a target. If he can't hit more than 50% of his shots as killshots, the case is dismissed.

Dark Vengeance
Delinquents

Reply #5 on: October 11, 2004, 09:54:07 AM

It's not like aiming and pulling the trigger are exactly hard....they say the toughest part is actually working up the gumption to squeeze with a human being in your sights.

Not that I'd consider games a training simulator for killing, but someone could apply the same sort of strategy they used in GTA or CounterStrike, or SOCOM, and be effective in an ambush....though that strategy doesn't usually involve much more than point at enemy, shoot.

Granted, the stuff you'd pick up from those games isn't exactly rocket science to anyone who would consider going on a killing rampage. It's akin to saying Manhunt teaches you to be quiet while sneaking up on someone from behind, or that State of Emergency teaches you to use bottles of burning petrol to firebomb storefronts.

Still, I would think the guy would have a case if they found him shouting about X's, Circles, Triangles, and Squares....all while spinning around in circles and bitching about his wanted level. Otherwise, just a moron blaming something other than himself for his actions.

Bring the noise.
Cheers..............
Nazrat
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: October 11, 2004, 11:40:56 AM

As a former Marine, let me say that aiming and pulling the trigger is very difficult if you plan on hitting what your target.  Sure, you can just point and pull like a video game in real life.  That usually gets you a lot of stray rounds and an empty magazine.  

America's Army is more of a killing simulator than GTA but America's Army is protected by governmental immunity therefore, no lawsuit available.

This guy is just spaghetti pleading: throw a bunch of charges against a wall and see what sticks.  He gets some media time.  Someone might refer a case to him because they recognize his name.  But, he will settle this case as fast as he can because he knows the evidence doesn't support his claims.  

GTA will move for summary judgment and probably win.  Non issue but makes for good hype.
Bluey

Email
Reply #7 on: October 11, 2004, 11:56:47 AM

Quote from: Nebu
I'm sure this had nothing to do with poor parenting and an undiagnosed mental illness. When will the frivilous lawsuits end?

All families can be struck down by their loved ones becoming Lawyers it is a tragic and misunderstood occurence in modern society.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #8 on: October 11, 2004, 12:25:25 PM

It would have been nice if all the idiots I hung around with back in the day (y'know, when gang warfare was actually a real issue) did have a combat simulator. Maybe they would have hit all the right people then.

But seriously, if all this shit's true about violent video games, then what's the explanation for my generation? Or the ones before it?

Are people still worried about gangs? I read somewhere that the kids these days (the generation after "X") is the most non-violent and passive of all. About the worst they're gonna do is sit around their fat asses and veg out in the front the TV..Or download copyrighted music.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #9 on: October 11, 2004, 12:46:57 PM

Quote from: stray
Are people still worried about gangs? I read somewhere that the kids these days (the generation after "X") is the most non-violent and passive of all. About the worst they're gonna do is sit around their fat asses and veg out in the front the TV..Or download copyrighted music.

The new gen is too stoned to do anything of use. The washroom is a challenge. Killing someone is impossible.

I'm sure by now RockStar has acquired a set of nice lawyers and will soon release a book entitled "Media: Cocksuckers."
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: October 11, 2004, 01:34:19 PM

I *wish* gangs would use GTA as a training tool. Then they'd all run around lost while looking for the convenient gun store  or get run over in traffic when they try to carjack someone in the middle of a busy intersection. Not to mention have no idea how to actually use a gun, as previously noted.
Dark Vengeance
Delinquents

Reply #11 on: October 11, 2004, 03:10:50 PM

Quote from: stray

In today's news, in response to what they deemed as intruding onto their turf to sell drugs, the Los Angeles Crips forced their rival Bloods take a 15 minute time out.

Bring the noise.
Cheers..............
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #12 on: October 11, 2004, 08:49:42 PM

Quote from: Dark Vengeance
In today's news, in response to what they deemed as intruding onto their turf to sell drugs, the Los Angeles Crips forced their rival Bloods take a 15 minute time out.

Heh, actually, the Crips and Bloods recently celebrated the 10th anniversary of the truce they made back in '94. You're probably not far from the truth.

What I'm really worried about: Backyard Wrestling (Err..Was gonna link something, but it's just too brutal to be funny).
sinij
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: October 11, 2004, 10:35:58 PM

Makes me wonder how someone can tackle the effort of becoming a lawyer while being dimwit enough to make up that type of shit. I can already imagine two gang factions sitting in the basement training for the upcoming gang fight.

I'd imagine it is more about settlement than anything else.

Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: October 12, 2004, 02:02:55 AM

Quote from: Bluey
Quote from: Nebu

All families can be struck down by their loved ones becoming Lawyers it is a tragic and misunderstood occurence in modern society.

You have a special place in my heart.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
AOFanboi
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: October 12, 2004, 02:40:19 AM

Quote from: Khaldun
Not to mention have no idea how to actually use a gun, as previously noted.

"Hey, bro, I am trying to rob this conveniece store but I cannot seem to draw my piece no matter how much I press L2 or R2 on my DualShock ® 2!"

"Fool, it needs to be connected to a pee-ess two!"

Life would indeed be safer if people learned bad ways from video games.

Current: Mario Kart DS, Nintendogs
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: October 12, 2004, 07:27:27 AM

He should have known to steal the tank then...

In other news, anyone ever tried shooting a gun sideways?

Nazrat
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: October 12, 2004, 09:10:45 AM

Shooting with the sights on the side actually works pretty well.  You still have to align the sites and it is actually easier in some shooting positions to turn the weapon sideways.  

Now, you can go and shoot like in the Matrix but it can be effective.
WayAbvPar

Reply #18 on: October 12, 2004, 09:53:05 AM

Sideways is out. The true gangstas have a new grip.

Yet more evidence that these fucking idiots are not fully evolved humans.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: October 12, 2004, 10:45:03 AM

Quote from: WayAbvPar

"Better To Look Good Than To Shoot Good."

Oh thank you for that!  I needed a big laugh.  And, big it was.
Arcadian Del Sol
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: October 12, 2004, 10:58:52 AM

If video games are simulators that teach us how to kill, then the dark side has already won...

unbannable
Jayce
Terracotta Army

Diluted Fool

Reply #21 on: October 12, 2004, 11:05:07 AM

Quote from: TripleDES

Makes me wonder how someone can tackle the effort of becoming a lawyer while being dimwit enough to make up that type of shit.

It's not that the lawyer is stupid, it's that he's banking on someone else being stupid enough to let him get away with it.

Which, in general, is a good bet.  You'll never go broke betting on how stupid people can be.

Witty banter not included.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #22 on: October 12, 2004, 12:14:21 PM

Quote from: WayAbvPar

We need them to think holding the gun /backwards/ is the thug-nastiest imo. Chicks dig scars, right? Gangs are some of the stupidest things I've ever encountered (yay for living in central LA and Oakland), thanks be to the DEA and our puritanical anti-drug stance for keeping them in business, yo!
Rodent
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: October 12, 2004, 01:46:46 PM

Quote from: Arcadian Del Sol
If video games are simulators that teach us how to kill, then the dark side has already won...

Some of the best spent dollars in my life. Now, if they ever develop real mechs I'll be a killing machine. *sigh*

Wiiiiii!
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #24 on: October 12, 2004, 02:52:25 PM

I knew only one person who knew what he was doing and used the sideways grip.  He was left handed, didn't like ejected shells hitting him in the forehead, and couldn't find a left-ejecting semi-auto he was happy with (they're rare as hen's teeth).

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #25 on: October 12, 2004, 03:06:35 PM

Hmm... so now they hit him in the chest, fall down his pants and burn his nards?

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Lanei
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: October 12, 2004, 05:51:00 PM

Quote from: DV
It's not like aiming and pulling the trigger are exactly hard

Anyone can point and pull a trigger.  Aiming is harder, and actually hitting what you aim at harder still.  Add stress, and it becomes extremely difficult, unless you've trained extensively.

Note: Important part of aiming is breath control.  Very important part of pulling the trigger is to pull it without changing your point of aim... like, for example, jerking the trigger, changing how hard the rest of your fingers grip the gun, or not pulling the trigger straight back.

Quote from: Nazrat
Shooting with the sights on the side actually works pretty well.

Until the gun jams.  Also, the weight of the gun isn't helping absorb recoil, though the mass still is.  Getting a proper two-handed stance wouldn't be easy with any kind of autoloader either, you'd probably end up getting bit by the slide.
Resvrgam
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: October 12, 2004, 09:30:05 PM

Damn. These simulators suck. :(

I only seem to be able to slaughter pedestrians and EMTs....I want my office abattoir, damnit!  

Bloody cops catch on too quickly and I'm running out of "not guilty by reason of insanity" pleas. :(

I hate uptights who blame the actions of their defective kids on videogames and movies instead of admitting they should have been sterilized before reaching a child-bearing age!

"In olden times, people studied to improve themselves. Today, they only study to impress others." - Confucius
Dark Vengeance
Delinquents

Reply #28 on: October 13, 2004, 02:07:45 AM

Quote from: Lanei
Anyone can point and pull a trigger.  Aiming is harder, and actually hitting what you aim at harder still.  Add stress, and it becomes extremely difficult, unless you've trained extensively.

Note: Important part of aiming is breath control.  Very important part of pulling the trigger is to pull it without changing your point of aim... like, for example, jerking the trigger, changing how hard the rest of your fingers grip the gun, or not pulling the trigger straight back.

Keep in mind that my dad did 2 tours in Vietnam with the USMC, is an endowment member of the NRA, and that I grew up in the sticks. I was taught about guns when I was 6, got my first BB gun at 8, and was a pretty good shot with a .22 by the time I turned 13.

If you understand something as simple as using the sights on a gun, aiming isn't that hard. For the fucktards that can't manage that, there are the laser pointers and scopes...though, with all due respect to Megatron, anyone who puts a scope on a handgun needs to be kicked in the fucking skull IMO.

Bring the noise.
Cheers...............
Arcadian Del Sol
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: October 13, 2004, 06:17:20 AM

Quote from: Rodent

*steel battallions screenshot clipped*

Some of the best spent dollars in my life. Now, if they ever develop real mechs I'll be a killing machine. *sigh*

If thats the best use of your dollars, please to be posting screenshots of your WORST dollars spent.

unbannable
Arcadian Del Sol
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: October 13, 2004, 06:20:03 AM

If you understand something as simple as using the sights on a gun, aiming isn't that hard. For the fucktards that can't manage that, there are the laser pointers and scopes...though, with all due respect to Megatron, anyone who puts a scope on a handgun needs to be kicked in the fucking skull IMO.

Bring the noise.
Cheers...............

I have a lazer pointing scope on my brushed aluminum 357 magnum - not because I can't shoot (I compete regularly), but because in the panic of a self defense situation, I hate wasting bullets. I want to be REAL sure.

unbannable
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #31 on: October 13, 2004, 08:01:13 AM

Quote from: Rodent

*steel battallions screenshot clipped*

If thats the best use of your dollars, please to be posting screenshots of your WORST dollars spent.

We don't allow posting grandma pr0n pics here.

Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #32 on: October 13, 2004, 04:52:56 PM

Keep in mind that my dad did 2 tours in Vietnam with the USMC, is an endowment member of the NRA, and that I grew up in the sticks. I was taught about guns when I was 6, got my first BB gun at 8, and was a pretty good shot with a .22 by the time I turned 13.

WTF? A qualification paragraph? That clearly invalidates any other opinion then.

Playing a guitar isn't that hard either. Nor is writing the guidance software for an ICBM. However, just as with firing a gun accurately, or indeed calibrating sights, they are non-trivial, involve skills, and those skills come with practise. I do understand that some people have a propensity toward certain skills, and that having a great trainer helps, but that doesn't negate Lanei's point one jot. The best you can hope for is a pedantic argument over the meaning of "hard" in this context.

Perhaps you're a brilliant shot. However, your daft qualification paragraph just serves to prove that you persevered in order to gain the skills needed to become one. QE fucking D.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #33 on: October 13, 2004, 05:07:56 PM

Quote from: Jayce
Quote from: TripleDES

Makes me wonder how someone can tackle the effort of becoming a lawyer while being dimwit enough to make up that type of shit.

It's not that the lawyer is stupid, it's that he's banking on someone else being stupid enough to let him get away with it.

Which, in general, is a good bet.  You'll never go broke betting on how stupid people can be.

Well, if courts would give Rule 11 sanctions real teeth, you'd see a lot fewer bullshit lawsuits being filed.

That said, deciding if a suit is frivolous is based entirely on the ability of the defense attorney to argue in terms your average judge can understand just specifically why it's a frivolous lawsuit.

Sadly, you still have to explain how the internet works, let alone explain the "intricacies" of video games to your average non-geek.

If I had my way, we'd have courts with judges specifically appointed to handle the tech cases.  Hell, we already have patent courts for that same purpose.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Dark Vengeance
Delinquents

Reply #34 on: October 13, 2004, 06:14:59 PM

Quote from: Righ
Perhaps you're a brilliant shot. However, your daft qualification paragraph just serves to prove that you persevered in order to gain the skills needed to become one. QE fucking D.

By the time I fired a BB gun for the first time at age 6, I was able to grasp the concept of "you just point at your target, align the near sight with the far sight, breathe in, hold, and *squeeze* the trigger".

Perhaps I'm just a natural, or my dad is some sort of genius of marksmanship training, who knows?

It's not as if he gave me sniper training about hitting a tick from 1000 yards in high wind or anything....the above paragraph was about it, in terms of what he ever had to tell me as far as "how to aim".

Is there some kind of magical piece of information I am taking for granted here? What the fuck? If my niece can play Duck Hunt and do pretty well, without having to adjust the contrast or hold the zapper against the screen, with no instruction, what is so tough that a 15 year old gamer can't grasp the concept?

Bring the noise.
Cheers............
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: More GTA legal madness  
Jump to: