Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 01:58:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Recommend a DVD burner 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Recommend a DVD burner  (Read 5062 times)
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

on: October 11, 2004, 05:47:29 AM

So about 3 months ago I bought a TDK 1280B IndiDVD burner based on the string of great VeloCD drives I've owned over the years. So far this fucking pig has produced 66 coasters that failed while burning, 3 coasters that burned successfully and one valid DVD. I've tried 3 different versions of ASPI layers, 5 fresh OS installs on 3 different hard drives, the last 4 versions of NForce2 board drivers, 2 different IDE cables, and countless other fixes. So I'm fairly confident that it's the drive being a piece of shit instead of something I've done wrong.

Luckily I bought the extended warranty at CompUSA and I'm sick of flushing money in the shitter making coasters hoping I fixed it. Out of the 4 250gb drives I'm down to under 100gb free so I can't delay burning stuff off much longer. So I'm taking the thing back and getting a different brand/model.

What brand/model have you guys had absolutely no problems with installed straight out of the box. I don't mind doing a format and fresh install of everything, but I don't want to have to dick with tracking down old firmware versions and tweaking the hell out of stuff to make it work. I just want to burn gigs and gigs of files to DVD.

Any suggestions?

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
toma levine
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: October 11, 2004, 06:26:19 AM

Lite-On.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: October 11, 2004, 06:42:28 AM

Sony DRU500A. I don't know what model they're on, but their line of external dvd burners is fantastic.
Rodent
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: October 11, 2004, 07:02:55 AM

I'm using an NEC3500, you can get one for around or less than $100. Handles DVD+R/RW and DVD-R/RW aswell as being capable of dualburning. Out of 50 or so burned DVD's I haven't had a single problem.

Wiiiiii!
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #4 on: October 11, 2004, 07:49:04 AM

I use a Lite-On 451S crossflashed to a 832S for dual-layer writing and before that I had another Lite-On burner. I have had no problems or complaints with either Lite-On burner I've owned. I highly recommend them.
Zetleft
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: October 11, 2004, 08:22:53 AM

Quote from: Rodent
I'm using an NEC3500, you can get one for around or less than $100. Handles DVD+R/RW and DVD-R/RW aswell as being capable of dualburning. Out of 50 or so burned DVD's I haven't had a single problem.

I'll 2nd the NEC nomination.  Great dualburner, sure you can get one for 40 bucks but I doubt it has the quality of this one.
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: October 11, 2004, 08:28:57 AM

We've run various Pioneer drives in our duplicator and edit systems with good success.  Out of several thousand burned discs, I think virtually all coasters were traced back to defective media--all discs are not created equal...

Caveat:  we don't have a dual-layer version (highest model here is a DVR-107), so I can't specifically speak to how well that works.

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
jwinston2
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: October 11, 2004, 01:04:50 PM

lite on has caused me no problems

One of the things Ford Prefect had always found hardest to understand about humans was their habit of continuously stating and repeating the very very obvious, as in It's a nice day, or You're very tall, or Oh dear you seem to have fallen down a thirty-foot well, are you all right?
Hanzii
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: October 11, 2004, 01:16:00 PM

I have the NEC2500 which has trouble reading compilation DVD's which it burned itself. I don't think my next will be a NEC.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would like to discuss this more with you, but I'm not allowed to post in Politics anymore.

Bruce
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #9 on: October 11, 2004, 08:40:52 PM

Hmmmm... the TDK 1280 I have is actually a rebadged Lite On SOHW-1213S. There are firmware updates available for the Lite On version so I might try that before I trade it in. Thanks for the input guys.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #10 on: October 11, 2004, 10:45:39 PM

Pioneer DVR-A08XL: 16xDVD+R, 16xDVD-R, dual-layer support, 32xCD-R. Reliably writes 16x on 8x media, reliably writes 4x DL on 2.4x DL media. Somewhat pricey (~150), but I've yet to use a better drive.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Raven
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: October 12, 2004, 01:14:38 AM

Newegg has both Pioneer and NEC 16x dual layer dual format internal dvd burners for around 90 dollars.
Gong
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: October 12, 2004, 08:16:53 AM

from my experience, I also recommend NEC and LiteOn drives.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #13 on: October 12, 2004, 08:43:22 AM

I haven't had any problems with several Lite-On drives I've installed and/or own. Remember, if you want to burn movies, you'll want a dual-layer burner.
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: October 12, 2004, 09:08:30 AM

Quote from: Sky
I haven't had any problems with several Lite-On drives I've installed and/or own. Remember, if you want to burn movies, you'll want a dual-layer burner.

I *think* dual-layer burning is still only for DVD+R discs; if that's the case, then older DVD players will choke on them (DVD-R only).   Also, if you're going to play them in set-top DVD players (and not just playing back a file from disc on your pc), be sure your software will properly support dual-layer burning.

You can still squeeze up to two hours of video onto a single-layer DVD (using readily available MPEG compression methods) if you're not too much of a purist.  Personally, anything past 90 minutes or so and I start to find the compression artifacts noticeable, but it's a matter of individual taste.

(Commercial movies often use a surprisingly low bitrate, but it takes a dedicated encoder running ~$30k or so to crank them out.  Homemade MPEG-2 requires a substantially higher bitrate to get the same quality)

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #15 on: October 12, 2004, 03:08:48 PM

Lite-on single layer DVD burner + shrink dvd + Nero 6 = mucho increase in my DVD collection.

Yes, I know I'm a bad person.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Evil Elvis
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: October 12, 2004, 05:41:05 PM

I think the new Plextor is out (px-718a I think).  Should only be around 100 bucks, 16x, dvd+-rw, doublelayer, makes you toast, etc.

Never had a problem with a plextor.  I'd hesitate to buy any other drive make for my own cd/dvd needs.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #17 on: October 12, 2004, 07:21:47 PM

Quote from: Bunk
Lite-on single layer DVD burner + shrink dvd + Nero 6 = mucho increase in my DVD collection.

Yes, I know I'm a bad person.

I was using X Copy Plat up till about a month ago.  All of a sudden, when I copy a dvd (yes, I said it) it gets about 40mins-1h through and starts to break up.  Any theories?

Does the shrink + nero work all the time?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Recommend a DVD burner  
Jump to: