Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 01:45:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Steam is pissing me off... 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Steam is pissing me off...  (Read 4757 times)
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

on: January 16, 2008, 08:14:25 PM

After a fresh install of windows, I'm having to redownload CoD4 and a couple other games.  The download starts fine, then gradually slows and slows, until it stops downloading.

Any idea how to fix?
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 08:15:57 PM

Buy it in a box.

Rimshot

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 08:19:14 PM

It's my contribution to a more green society.

Rather than burning gas going to buy it, killing another tree for the box, as well as the oil products that go into making the plastic CD and case holder, I download.

Huzzah!
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 09:14:29 PM

Download them one at a time? I.e. pause all the downloads except one and then unpause the next download when the first finishes, etc.
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 09:34:19 PM

That's what I'm doing.

I actually have some sort of a workaround.  I did 'launch game', and it's resumed downloading at a pretty good clip.

Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 10:24:57 PM

If I recall correctly it is a TCP/IP problem. When a file transfer first starts it goes pretty fast. If there are a lot of hiccups a well behaved TCP/IP client client backs off to reduce the network impact, and it won't always bounce back to its max. It can get to the point where it backs off so much it pretty much stalls out. That's why restarting generally helps.

I vaguely remember all of this from when one of my co-workers was telling me about the evils of TCP/IP accelerators; they don't back off properly and tax already stressed out networks. Or it could all be a bad dream.
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 09:59:28 AM

After a fresh install of windows, I'm having to redownload CoD4 and a couple other games.  The download starts fine, then gradually slows and slows, until it stops downloading.

Any idea how to fix?

I found this same problem with my Steam installation. Doing what you did (pressing Launch Game) for each one, forced it to download the whole thing quickly. It's a workaround, but what the hell. It works.

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 10:45:15 AM

I think Steam's gotten more stingy with its bandwidth lately.  It used to keep everything updated automatically, but now it just sits there at 0% unless prodded repeatedly.

swamp poop

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 10:53:57 AM

Rather than burning gas going to buy it, killing another tree for the box, as well as the oil products that go into making the plastic CD and case holder, I download.

What about all the Twinkie wrappers that Gabe throws out?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #9 on: January 17, 2008, 01:24:59 PM

What about all the Twinkie wrappers that Gabe throws out?

You, sir, are the reason that there are so few overweight white men in the game industry.  I hope you're ashamed of yourself.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Steam is pissing me off...  
Jump to: