Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:12:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Pirates of the Burning Sea  |  Topic: Pirates of the Burning Sea- Now playing 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pirates of the Burning Sea- Now playing  (Read 92495 times)
Blackguard
Developers

38 Studios

Reply #35 on: January 17, 2008, 12:32:02 PM

Bah. I joined Rackham as a Pirate since I saw high Spanish pops and a lot of posts in their forum... Gar Luckbad is the name. I'm ~15 so I'm not sure if I feel like rerolling as a Spaniard. I may just have to kill you.

Ryan "Blackguard" Shwayder
Game Designer at 38 Studios
Custodian of the Nerfbat
WayAbvPar

Reply #36 on: January 17, 2008, 12:57:55 PM

After you run out of rum and realize we can't be beaten, you will be welcomed to the bosom of Madre Espana with only a modicum of ribbing.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: January 17, 2008, 01:48:14 PM

After you run out of rum and realize we can't be beaten, you will be welcomed to the bosom of Madre Espana with only a modicum of ribbing.

Wait, wait, wait...We're playing THAT kind of pirate?

Venimor
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: January 18, 2008, 12:18:15 AM

Rackham, Juan-Mateo Venimor, Spanish Privateer.
d4rkj3di
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: January 18, 2008, 07:31:52 AM

Made a pirate on Rackham as well, so I can be e-buddies with Ryan. /swoon
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: January 21, 2008, 10:29:30 PM

God help me, I'm actually a little excited over an MMO launch; haven't felt this way since DAOC. I find it interesting that it launches during WoW's usual scheduled downtime. I wonder if that was intentional.

I may be nuts for jumping in on launch day, but ah well. I'll see y'all there.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Abelian75
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: January 22, 2008, 06:08:57 AM

God help me, I'm actually a little excited over an MMO launch;

Me too.  It's weird.
WayAbvPar

Reply #42 on: January 22, 2008, 10:14:53 AM

The prominent involvement of SOE has me a bit worried. As of late last night, my PotBS account no longer existed on station.sony.com. True to form, I have received no communication from Sony about what is going on with my account. The good news is I noticed my forum account on burningsea.com DIDN'T say 'Subscription Expired". Christ, I get 5 mails from every forum I sign up for; you'd think Sony could spit out an automated mail or two with the $50 I was (am, will be?- see, I don't even KNOW) billed.

Suffice it to say that if I am not able to log on when I get home due to account issues, my head will explode, and I just might decide to save the money. I don't appreciate the silent treatment, especially when I am paying for the privilege. Pity FLS couldn't have done the digital distribution and billing themselves; their devs and support folks are quick to answer.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
WayAbvPar

Reply #43 on: January 22, 2008, 11:34:51 AM

FLS put up a link on their home page to direct people to station.sony.com to activate their subscriptions (must choose a subscription plan). Not sure why they need the subscription information when the purchased game comes with a free month. Not a big deal for me, but for the kids out there who didn't pre-purchase game cards, it is a severe cockblock.

Along with this, there is the normal litany of pages crashing while validating activation codes (using the code up and not applying it to the account!), circular support knowledge bases, slow page loads, etc. SOE is showing off all their tricks today, and it lands in the FLS's lap. I am willing to be that SOE will cost FLS a few subscribers today who just give up and cancel/return the game.

Also- changed name of thread for launch day.

Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: January 22, 2008, 12:41:46 PM

Yeah, that makes me cringe a bit, too. I've had pretty good luck with the Station, but I still worry whenever I use it. When I resubbed to EQ a few months ago, their servers were unreliable, and there weren't any new games or patches going on. Nothing. It just randomly sucked. Fortunately, I seem to be subscribed to Pirates now, and there's only an hour left to patch, so...we'll see!

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #45 on: January 22, 2008, 01:01:40 PM

So it looks like my box isn't coming from Amazon for over a week.  So evidently by pre-ordering, I got the right to get in the game a couple of weeks early so I could wait a couple of weeks after launch to play again.  That fucking sucks.

THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVERY WANTED TO GET IN TO A BETA
WayAbvPar

Reply #46 on: January 22, 2008, 01:23:40 PM

Cancel and deal with SOE. It is what all the cool kids are doing.

Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: January 23, 2008, 12:14:28 AM

We cannot fish, nor swim, and there are no seagulls going "squack squack squack" on the docks. What the hell?!

Still, very stable and relatively bug-free. I'm not keen on a loading screen every time I walk into a building. It looks great and runs great on my mediocre machine. The community seems fairly mature. The economy confuses the hell out of me, but I think that might be a good thing if it's fun. There should be more tutorials easing the player into the game. I'd like day and night cycles to the game world, instead of the apparent randomness of time. And I freaking love the Open Sea, especially with the ruins off the shore and the "VERA CRUZ" kinda names over each port, as though we're all little toy boats sailing on a gigantic map. I wish we could explore, though.

Still, lots of room for growth, and it's a good start.

Leonardo Gajones, Spanish privateer on Rakkham. Yarr....

bhodikhan
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: January 24, 2008, 01:48:45 PM

Alvar Hanso the Spaniard on Rackham for anyone who cares.

WayAbvPar

Reply #49 on: January 24, 2008, 03:12:22 PM

If you guys are still society-less, look up taoluker ingame (Laozi Mi'Karma? not sure about the last name spelling). He is our fearless leader.

bhodikhan
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: January 24, 2008, 04:25:04 PM

Laozi Mi'Karma is the correct spelling.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 06:01:57 PM by bhodikhan »
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: January 24, 2008, 05:49:12 PM

BUZZZT wrong..

Just for that Bhodi... maybe I'll make you pay the AH prices for ships, instead of the cool society discount I was giving everyone else.

It's Laozi Mi'Karma and I assume you found me since I invited you to the society an hour ago.

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: January 24, 2008, 06:23:42 PM

The stuff you are describing intrigues me.

You can build buildings and generate resources for trading?

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: January 24, 2008, 09:16:53 PM

You don't actually have "buildings", you have an Economy window that contains all your economic structures.

To build economic structures you create a warehouse, in ports that have certain resources.

This is the Warehouse, and at the bottom are boxes with other "structures":

When you click to view each individual structure, it shows different recipes or raw materials in the window that a structure can create, and the stored labor, plus how much labor and doubloons it takes to craft certain things.. Then you can select to make things. I don't have a decent screenshot of this, but can take one to post another time if you want me to.

WayAbvPar

Reply #54 on: January 25, 2008, 10:51:28 AM

I can has Lexington deed?

I have been trying to hold out until I hit 21 for a Postilloenoneioenenenn frigate, but I think the Lex would be a nice step up from my Med. heavy.

taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: January 25, 2008, 05:14:29 PM

I have entirely too many damn deeds...  ACK!

If you want it, I have it, just let me know.

WayAbvPar

Reply #56 on: January 25, 2008, 05:29:16 PM

Cooilo- I will holler at you tonight. I am thinking about doing a couple of hours of misson running to get some more dbs together, then go back to the battle of eternal unrest.

taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: January 25, 2008, 05:32:50 PM

Well there's red circles all around the Antilles, so don't attempt to leave ports without checking first.. That warehouse pictured with all the deeds in it is Campache, so you'll need to venture there.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #58 on: January 25, 2008, 09:42:02 PM

Alright, me hearties, ye've convinced me, I'll pick up a box on the morrow.

Rackham Spanish privateer. Captain Don Karnaj

« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 06:57:44 PM by Surlyboi »

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
cevik
I'm Special

I've always wondered about the All Black People Eat Watermelons

Reply #59 on: January 28, 2008, 12:12:02 PM

Rackham, Spanish Privateer - Taco Bello

The above space is available for purchase.  Send a Private Message for a complete price list and payment information.  Thank you for your business.
WayAbvPar

Reply #60 on: January 28, 2008, 12:47:17 PM

I saw you online the other night! Hard to forget that name  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

sidereal
Contributor

Reply #61 on: January 28, 2008, 01:29:36 PM

Amazon shipped my pre-order today.  Pre of latin derivation, meaning 'before'.   Pricks.

THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVERY WANTED TO GET IN TO A BETA
cevik
I'm Special

I've always wondered about the All Black People Eat Watermelons

Reply #62 on: January 28, 2008, 01:37:25 PM

I saw you online the other night! Hard to forget that name  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Hah, my first attempt was Jesus Christos, but it didn't like that name! :)

I tried to send you a tell the other night, but I just missed ya when you were logging off.. Thanks to the kindness of Laozi I'm a Browncoat, so I'm sure I'll see ya in game soon enough.. :)

The above space is available for purchase.  Send a Private Message for a complete price list and payment information.  Thank you for your business.
WayAbvPar

Reply #63 on: January 28, 2008, 02:35:59 PM

I will definitely be around. Iago Cordoba or Guido Cordoba.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: January 31, 2008, 06:01:44 AM

Signed up last night.  Dhrae Tillet (I think I spelled it that way).  Spanish Privateer
Chorulle
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: January 31, 2008, 04:39:51 PM

Guess I have decided to give this game a go.  Just created a little Spanish NO on Rackham, name is Chorulle Calderon.

"Saying that nobody needs more then web apps is like saying noone needs a fridge because we can all drive to T.G.I. goddamn Friday's for chicken wings"

- Walt Mosspuppet (Mike Arrington is wrong: Chrome OS won't matter)
jlwilli5
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: January 31, 2008, 07:08:45 PM

Finally received my pre-order from Amazon as well.  On Rackham as well Lukure Erukul - Naval Chica

Target Erukul 

EvE:
      Lukure
      Karsys
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: January 31, 2008, 08:45:58 PM

Well Chorulle is part of the society, and jlwilli5 I wasn't actually looking for you, but will start tomorrow.

Alright, me hearties, ye've convinced me, I'll pick up a box on the morrow.

Rackham Spanish privateer. Captain Don Karnaj

When I sent a society invite, it told me this person was not in my nation.

Signed up last night.  Dhrae Tillet (I think I spelled it that way).  Spanish Privateer

That obviously isn't the right name, it told me that character dosen't exit.. Make sure you're on Rackham server.

SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: February 01, 2008, 06:39:59 AM

Signed up last night...Blackbear server, Frenchie freetrader.  Sabian Deveroux.  Chugging along very slowly.  Good fun, not great fun, but good fun.  Might roll onto whatever server you guys are on (need to read the thread).
d4rkj3di
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: February 01, 2008, 07:35:13 AM

Signed up last night...Blackbear server, Frenchie freetrader.  Sabian Deveroux.

I'm on that server and if you decide to stick around there I'll pass the word to Pirates that you should be sunk at every opportunity left alone.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Pirates of the Burning Sea  |  Topic: Pirates of the Burning Sea- Now playing  
Jump to: