Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:55:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Consoles will soon suck less when it comes to FPS 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Consoles will soon suck less when it comes to FPS  (Read 4887 times)
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

on: October 05, 2004, 11:00:41 PM

I think I need to get me one of these since I really hate my controller S for any FPS on the Xbox.

Quote from: Team Xbox
Lik Sang took the videogame community by storm this weekend by announcing a new entry in its product catalog: The SmartJoy FRAG, an adapter that allows Xbox and PlayStation 2 owners to connect a mouse and a keyboard to the console and replace the standard controller with the well known PC combo that has been the envy of many console gamers for years.
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: October 05, 2004, 11:52:03 PM

PS2 has USB ports...
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: October 05, 2004, 11:53:22 PM

And I played Q3A with a keyboard and mouse on the dreamcast. Much to the dismay of my roommates who used the other 2 controllers.
AOFanboi
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: October 06, 2004, 01:47:07 AM

Quote from: ahoythematey
PS2 has USB ports...

... which cannot be used to attach keyboard and mouse and have them work in a game that only accepts controller input. This little dongle lets the keyboard and mouse "look" like a DualShock 2™ (For Playstation ® 2) as far as the game is concerned.

This is an issue with consoles and hardware in general: The game itself must include the drivers for the hardware (the XBox somewhat of an exception). For instance, the new wireless adapter for GBA is not usable on any game that uses the link cable - the game has to use it (which so far means three games).

Current: Mario Kart DS, Nintendogs
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #4 on: October 06, 2004, 06:46:37 AM

People on the a/v board I frequent are already calling it a 'cheat'. :) It certainly will lay to rest the issue of which input is more effective...too bad the only distributer is lik-sang, who I've not heard great things about when looking at the xbox controller to pc adapter (shoddy driver support). I'd never buy a product that didn't work with my system, it's kinda dumb. Make some official drivers, dammit.
WayAbvPar

Reply #5 on: October 06, 2004, 10:42:09 AM

If this thing goes 'mainstream', I am all over it. I have a grudge match against my console-only buddy just WAITING to happen.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #6 on: October 06, 2004, 11:23:15 AM

I'd love it if this works, especially if those Phantom twats ever get around to releasing their keyboard/mouse combo that would look perfect for consoles. My X-Box isn't really set up for mouse/keyboard combo space; I'd have to put them on the coffee table.

Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #7 on: October 06, 2004, 11:28:46 AM

Microsoft will have to respond to this with an adapter of their own if this actually works and people dominate Halo, Unreal, et al. Unless they come up with a way for Live to detect if this dongle is being used and ban it.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: October 06, 2004, 11:48:57 AM

Quote from: Shockeye
Microsoft will have to respond to this with an adapter of their own if this actually works and people dominate Halo, Unreal, et al. Unless they come up with a way for Live to detect if this dongle is being used and ban it.

I'll give Microsoft a little credit and say that they'll just come up with their own product or buy the company making it.

Wait, what the hell did I just write??

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
schild
Administrator

Reply #9 on: October 06, 2004, 11:50:45 AM

I'd prefer a branded Microsoft Keyboard and mouse. Made from salvaged IBM Model M stuff. Hell, they should just buy IBM.

Kidding about that last bit. Sort of.
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

Reply #10 on: October 06, 2004, 12:52:27 PM

My microsoft-branded keyboard seems okay, but the optical mouse that came with it was crap, had to go get a logitech.  I wore out the left button on the M$ mouse in a year.  The Logitech mouse I had before lasted through 5 years of diablo, Hellfire, D2, etc.

--
Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #11 on: October 06, 2004, 02:07:09 PM

The only problem I see with keyboard/mouse controls on a console is that, like Haemish said, you'd have to put them on the coffee table (though I agree, Infinium seemed to be on top of that particular issue).  As far as I'm concerned, a standard desktop PC setup is just more ergonomically suited for gaming than your standard living room TV setup.

Still waiting for a cross-platform FPS that'll let console and PC players on the same servers.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
doubleplus
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: October 06, 2004, 06:08:45 PM

Halo just got a lot more interesting.

WoW! GaH!
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: October 06, 2004, 06:19:30 PM

No, halo still sucks.  Halo 2 might be interesting.
Calantus
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: October 07, 2004, 03:47:29 AM

Excellent!

As far as space, putting the keyboard on you lap and having the mouse on an appropriately sized chair-side table (don't use the arm of the chair, its a recipe for pain unless its rediculously long) would work. At least it does for my laptop. You might need a board or something to put the keyboard on, but it would work.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: October 07, 2004, 04:02:44 AM

Why not go with a Trackball instead and save you all that trouble finding a suitable place for the mouse?
schild
Administrator

Reply #16 on: October 07, 2004, 04:07:45 AM

Quote from: Tebonas
Why not go with a Trackball instead and save you all that trouble finding a suitable place for the mouse?

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha, you're kidding, am i rite?
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: October 07, 2004, 04:37:44 AM

Not really no. I used trackballs and mice interchangeably since I first got a trackball instead of a mouse for my Atari ST (my father had a computer shop and basically gave me what he had lying around for my gaming pleasures). I never experienced much of a difference in my playing ability. So where does the kidding come in?

Edit: Of course I'm talking about Trackballs where you steer the ball with your palm. not those tiny thumb-trackballs. Though I suspect you could get used to them as well.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: October 07, 2004, 06:55:36 AM

We had a couple damn good players in my old bf1942 clan that used trackballs quite effectively. I don't like 'em for gaming, but I certainly won't mock them.
The only problem I see with keyboard/mouse controls on a console is that, like Haemish said, you'd have to put them on the coffee table (though I agree, Infinium seemed to be on top of that particular issue). As far as I'm concerned, a standard desktop PC setup is just more ergonomically suited for gaming than your standard living room TV setup.

I've been gaming just fine on my pc from my sofa for the last 10 months.

As far as I'm concerned, I'll never sit at a stupid desk again, if I can help it. Much nicer kicking back with my feet on the coffee table, nice and reclined.

I have a pillow I sit next to me, place a thin hardcover book about 33% larger than my mouse pad on it, mouse pad goes on top of that. If company is hoarding the sofa, I can use the arm instead of the pillow, both work fine (I use the pillow because the audio 'sweet spot' is the center of the sofa). Just rest the keyboard in my lap.

Once you've done home theater gaming, sitting at a desk just doesn't cut it anymore.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #19 on: October 07, 2004, 08:06:12 AM

Once I get used to it, I can use a trackball as well as a mouse. But if I'm constantly having to switch between mouse and trackball, it ain't going to work. The two just feel so differently. Which would mean I'd need to buy two trackballs, one for the X-Box and 1 for the computer. And I still don't like the idea of putting my keyboard on my lap. It's just not stable enough.

doubleplus
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: October 07, 2004, 05:14:40 PM

Edit: Of course I'm talking about Trackballs where you steer the ball with your palm. not those tiny thumb-trackballs. Though I suspect you could get used to them as well.

No, you really really don't. I remember trying to play FPS's on those fucking things and getting absolutely nowhwere. Terrible pieces of machinery suitable only for ugly secretaries with carpal-tunnel.

WoW! GaH!
schild
Administrator

Reply #21 on: October 07, 2004, 05:15:23 PM

Quote from: doubleplus

No, you really really don't. I remember trying to play FPS's on those fucking things and getting absolutely nowhwere. Terrible pieces of machinery suitable only for ugly secretaries with carpal-tunnel.

And Arkanoid.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: October 12, 2004, 07:46:55 AM

Quote from: doubleplus

And some of the best bf1942 players I've known while playing in league play. But it's cool to hate because you don't like something. So trendy.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Consoles will soon suck less when it comes to FPS  
Jump to: