Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:50:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: Here I come! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Here I come!  (Read 27184 times)
UD_Delt
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: January 02, 2008, 05:51:42 AM

Got tired of dying over and over again, so I bagged my coercer in AB and started a Ranger (Liryk) on Oasis. Level 5 now...watch out!

Ummm... ditching a coercer for a ranger might not be the best plan ever...

In your first two attempts you've probably managed to pick two of the least played classes in the game.

Rangers are not the best for solo'ing. They have issues with melee range combat once you get to the 30's. Unless you really like kiting I would suggest maybe trying something else.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #36 on: January 02, 2008, 07:50:31 AM

I agree, my ranger is on life support because he's my alchemist. Wondering whether to pull the plug or make him an assassin. Me no likey kiting. Started up a baby brigand for the hell of it, seems interesting with the stuns and positional stuff.

Been playing the wizard a bit, not too bad if you approach it from the "I am definitely going to die" standpoint. The SK and brawlers are still my favorites. Going to twink the shit out of a necro some day.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #37 on: January 02, 2008, 08:04:01 AM

Brigands are cool. I don't play one but they are. For some flavor, there is a quest line that involves an NPC brigand in RoK. Completing the quests gives 1p to everyone but brigands. Brigands get 2p for being in the same brotherhood as the questgiver!

I have never played WoW.
WayAbvPar

Reply #38 on: January 02, 2008, 08:29:02 AM

Got tired of dying over and over again, so I bagged my coercer in AB and started a Ranger (Liryk) on Oasis. Level 5 now...watch out!

Ummm... ditching a coercer for a ranger might not be the best plan ever...

In your first two attempts you've probably managed to pick two of the least played classes in the game.

Rangers are not the best for solo'ing. They have issues with melee range combat once you get to the 30's. Unless you really like kiting I would suggest maybe trying something else.

Heh. I can really pick 'em. Any suggestions for a decent solo class? Nothing with a pet, plskthx.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Sauced
Terracotta Army

Bat Country '05 Fantasy Football Champion

Reply #39 on: January 02, 2008, 09:24:59 AM

I've soloed my Ranger to 71.  I don't know what the hell these people are talking about.
WayAbvPar

Reply #40 on: January 02, 2008, 09:29:16 AM

Perfect! Now come log on and mentor me  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: January 02, 2008, 10:49:47 AM

I've heard good things about people solo'ing with Coercers. You charm a ^^^ mob in a zone and run around and have it kill everything until charm breaks and it kills you.

WayAbvPar

Reply #42 on: January 02, 2008, 12:08:47 PM

I still haven't figured out how to command a pet. EQ2's documentation and web presence leaves a ton to be desired.

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #43 on: January 02, 2008, 12:11:47 PM

When you charm a mob, a 6 icon box should pop up. The icons are clickable commands like attack, follow, guard, etc. Your UI must be hiding it for some reason.

I have never played WoW.
DarkSign
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: January 02, 2008, 12:16:41 PM

By default its usually in the bottom right corner or top left corner.
WayAbvPar

Reply #45 on: January 02, 2008, 12:31:35 PM

Really?  Never seen it. I will test it out tonight. Being able to actually use a pet as something more than added DPS would make the Coercer a hell of a lot easier to solo.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: January 02, 2008, 03:14:09 PM

Bruisers are great solo, though I've only got mine to 22 (I have two, a monkey and a bruiser). My wizard solos ok as long as I plan on dying alot (root/nuke can also be boring).

My SK is pretty badass, especially with the recent change to feign (10 seconds to 12 hours). The brawlers get the nod for the faster recast on fd (10 seconds vs 5 minutes, 2.5min with AA), so they can break up heroic encounters better than the SK, who will probably die if the feign fails. However, the SK is more durable overall due to the lifetaps and harm touch. Three great classes though.

Lots of coercer tricks, check out the official class forums, they aren't actually bad. Useful, even.
UD_Delt
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: January 03, 2008, 06:06:29 AM

Here's the rundown on classes I've solo'd or duo'd.

Swashbuckler - My original main. Currently sitting at 71 just because I haven't started anything in RoK yet. Very good solo class. I could gain exp at about 75% the rate of a really good group. I could gain exp faster than your average pickup group. Swash is a bit twitch though in using stuns and then circle-strafing to use your positionals. If you don't mind active game play (aka button mashing) I would highly recommend Swash.

Brigand - Same as Swash but evil side. My Brig is currently only 27. The only bad part of the Brig so far is the Swash has a better opener since they can stun from stealth and get in a few extra positional attacks before the mob turns to face.

Necro, Conj and Illusionist are all awesome solo but you said you don't really care about pet classes. Although a Necro with the tainted heals AA spec is just about the most uber class I have played to date.

Warlock - Played one solo until about level 27 and eventually got tired of the root, dot, dot, root, nuke, nuke, root, nuke, root break, die scenario and gave up. I'm trying again two boxing warlock + Necro and it is fairly awesome. I'm taking out even con heroics with ease with that combo.

Wizard - See Warlock but w/ better dot's and less AE's.

Monk/Bruiser - Very good solo class. Similar to the Swash/Brigand but better tanking ability with a bit less DPS. Add emergency heal and feign death and it's a very good solo class. Although you give up the evac of the Swash/Brig which comes in handy later.

Dirge/Troub - Don't bother. It is possible to solo either one but it's also possible to hit yourself in the face with a brick.

Healers - Fury is good solo if you like the caster style of root, dot, dot, nuke, then melee + heal. The other option is to choose one of the battle priest classes (Inquisitor, Warden, or Mystic). Battle Priest is an AA spec that those three classes have that allow you to turn your spells into combat arts (w/ 5 AAs in each skill they are between Adept 3 and Master in quality). I've played all 3 of the battle priests into at least the 30's and my personal preference is the Warden. They take less AA's to get to a quality battle priest and I also prefer the Heal-over-time spells to the Wards (mystic) or reactives (inq).

To sum it all up. If you want a tank choose Monk/Brusier although you will be semi-useless if you plan on playing to 80 and raiding. If you want DPS choose Swash or Brig, both are good raid classes. If you want healer pick a Warden which is also fairly useful on raids although there are currently A LOT of wardens running around. Any one of those classes should also have a fairly easy time of finding a group.

Edit: I forgot SK which I've played to 53 and is also decent solo. DPS is not as good though but because of their self-heals they can take on tougher mobs than the Monk/Bruiser.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 06:16:26 AM by UD_Delt »
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #48 on: January 03, 2008, 07:47:12 AM

My one and only character is a zerk and they solo well. They get an in-combat regen and a few decent AEs. Guardians are better at single ^^^s but zerks beat guards out on multi-mob encounters.

I have never played WoW.
WayAbvPar

Reply #49 on: January 03, 2008, 08:26:32 AM

Tested the Charm out again last night, and found the pet menu (it was way down in the bottom right corner of the screen; I run at 1600x1200, so it was small and I never noticed it!). Pet is far more useful now, and I can actually survive combats with white cons. Yay! Kind of worried about outleveling everything  through combat exp, but turning it off made things DRAG.

Still very unimpressed with direction/assistance the game gives to n00bs. Zones are fucking giant and tough to navigate, and the map is a joke. Hard to find quest givers without consulting out of game material. Broker system is a fucking mystery without lots of trial and error or out of game assistance. Upgrades for spells/abilities is completely hidden from the new user. Definitely not the game to jump into solo for the first time.  swamp poop

That being said, I am starting to have a bit of fun. Fur hooked me up with some 20 slot bags and a plat, so I was able to upgrade most of my spells to at least Adept I (which also greatly improved my survivability). After reading up on collectibles/making money via the broker, discovered how to do quick price checks to find out what is selling reasonably. That part I DO like as a lowbie- I can get lucky and make some real money early on in the game.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: January 03, 2008, 08:57:17 AM

Do you have EQ2Map and the POI Finder plugin yet? I couldn't play without them.

Post 9000!
WayAbvPar

Reply #51 on: January 03, 2008, 08:59:03 AM

I do have Eq2map, but haven't figured how to use it optimally yet. I would do much better with a map that looked like the fucking zone rather than a ton of colored dots, but maybe that is just me.

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #52 on: January 03, 2008, 10:11:09 AM

When you get close to a quest NPC that can give you a new quest or progress one you already have, you will see an orange blinking light on your map.

I have never played WoW.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: January 03, 2008, 10:59:36 AM

He's an angry elf.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: Here I come!  
Jump to: