Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:53:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: 600 lb Mako shark hooked 400 yards off the beach 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 600 lb Mako shark hooked 400 yards off the beach  (Read 2688 times)
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

on: December 21, 2007, 08:20:35 AM

Perdido Pass, Gulf Shores, Alabama

11 feet long, 609 pounds, caught in a 17 foot boat.  The spot it was original hooked is full of boaters, waverunner riders, and such pretty much all year except during the couple months it gets (kinda) cold. 

Crazy stuff.

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 08:59:21 AM

Uhm, sharks in the Gulf of Mexico? Am I missing something?

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
WayAbvPar

Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 09:44:45 AM

There are tons of sharks along the Gulf Coast. Most of the shark attacks in recent years have been along Florida's Gulf Coast (bull sharks, if memory serves). It is shallow and warm, so you likely won't see great whites, but tropical sharks dig it.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 09:47:48 AM

Mako Shark is so goddamn tasty.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 09:49:40 AM

I thought he was saying it in the, "Sharks in the Gulf of Mexico? No shit, Sherlock" sense.

Still, 600# is big for a Mako, isn't it?

As for it being where boats and such usually are, that's not uncommon.  Shark Week on Discovery usually has enough "oh hey, look at this pic from a helicopter where you can see 40 sharks swimming less than 200' away from the unsuspecting bathers" pictures to convince me never to go into the ocean farther than my calves.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
WayAbvPar

Reply #5 on: December 21, 2007, 09:53:27 AM

Hehe, yeah- those shots are spooky. Still, a mako is more of a deep water shark, at least I thought it was. That is pretty close to shore.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: December 21, 2007, 12:46:33 PM

Sharks in the GoM definately not uncommon.

Mako shark, on the other hand?   Pretty much unheard of.  Especially not one that is 11 feet long and 600 pounds.

Back when I had my pilots license, I flew down the beaches of Gulf Shores.  You could see the sharks swimming not even 50-100 yards off the breakline.  But those are mostly black fin and the like, not makos.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: December 21, 2007, 01:45:34 PM

Mako shark, on the other hand?   Pretty much unheard of.  Especially not one that is 11 feet long and 600 pounds.

Shortfin Makos are more prevalent in gulf stream areas so finding one in the GoM isn't that surprising.  They regularly tag shortfins off the coast of Florida for research. They do occasionally go inshore at this time of year aswell. Those measurements don't add up though - 600lbs is either a heavy male or a very light female but the males only reach a length of about 9ft.  If it's 11ft then it's likely to be a female and should be weighing in at over a 1000lbs.  Difficult to tell in the photos - it looks likes it's 10+ft so I'm surprised that it's as light as it is. 

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: December 21, 2007, 02:11:40 PM

The GoM isn't quite accurate....

Here is where they originally hooked it (400 yards off the beach):

That's Perdido Pass, the picture being taken from the southwest looking northeast.  West is Gulf Shores, east is Orange Beach.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 02:13:44 PM by SnakeCharmer »
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: December 21, 2007, 05:01:53 PM

I'm surprised they didn't need a bigger boat.  Ohhhhh, I see.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: December 21, 2007, 07:39:38 PM

I'm still laughing that they named their dog 'Chum'  it's stupid funny.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: 600 lb Mako shark hooked 400 yards off the beach  
Jump to: