Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:29:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: THUG 2 Released Today 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: THUG 2 Released Today  (Read 3771 times)
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

on: October 05, 2004, 11:03:14 AM

I will be going out to pick this up. Every other Tony Hawk game has been great simply in "Fun Factor", sure, some are better than others, but this is one series that I will buy on release day, and not even think twice about it.

Enjoy, and go buy it. For PS2. While XBox has better graphics, the PS2 controller is just so much better suited for this game. Also, as far as I know, PS2 is the only one with online play, which would be silly. Also, if you have an Eyetoy (I hope none of you do, or if you do, dont admit it inless its your kids) you can map your own face onto your character, like you could in the last game.

So again, go buy it. Talk about it here.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1 on: October 05, 2004, 11:18:50 AM

I bought THPS. I bought THPS2. I bought THPS4. I won't be buying another. The series has gotten progressively harder as they cater to their own fanbase, so now basic tricks are like a manual for 100yds into a gap, then hit a revert and manual back down and go back another 100yds kinda crap.

I actually had to have some kids play my game to get me past a couple challenges (THPS4). I guess I'm too old for that franchise. Sucks, because I really liked the first couple before they went totally overboard with the tricks.

The PS2 is not allowed in my house.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #2 on: October 05, 2004, 01:33:52 PM

Quote from: Sky
I bought THPS. I bought THPS2. I bought THPS4. I won't be buying another. The series has gotten progressively harder as they cater to their own fanbase, so now basic tricks are like a manual for 100yds into a gap, then hit a revert and manual back down and go back another 100yds kinda crap.

I actually had to have some kids play my game to get me past a couple challenges (THPS4). I guess I'm too old for that franchise. Sucks, because I really liked the first couple before they went totally overboard with the tricks.

The PS2 is not allowed in my house.

Well then Sky, THUG1 would be perfict for you (not sure about THUG2) but THUG was the first THPS game to offer difficulty settings. When you started the game you could choose easy, normal, hard. Basically, this made all the challanges easer, but making the lines, and combos and stuff shorter.

You should give it a try.

I am a HUGE fan of these games, and I think I am pretty good. I went through THUG on medium setting in about 12 hours, and it was just to easy for me, and I felt really bummed. I then went through it again on hard, and it was perfict. Except the very last challange. HOW HOW HOW is it even possible?

Anyway, if THUG2 offers difficulty settings, you should get the game if you like the series, cause it perfitclly fixes your problem.

tw1tc|-| 4 teh w1nz0r
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #3 on: October 05, 2004, 01:36:53 PM

I'd pick this up if I didn't have so much crap I haven't finished playing yet and that's just waiting to be played (I gather Rome:TW will keep me busy for at least another month). Missed THUG1, but Tony Hawk are consistantly some of the most fun that can be had on a console.

-Rasix
schild
Administrator

Reply #4 on: October 05, 2004, 04:04:30 PM

Quote from: Morphiend
tw1tc|-| 4 teh w1nz0r

What the fuck does that say? Don't do that.

Anyway, yea, Tony Hawk has been great. THPS2 on the dreamcast was the best experience I've had because of the controller, but I've played them all extensively and will be playing THUG2 very shortly.

I'm a halfpipe whore. I think at the end of THUG my character had maxed out all the vert stuff but had a manual ability of the minimum needed to finish the game. My roommate is the exact oppisite. Go figure.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #5 on: October 05, 2004, 04:18:22 PM

Quote from: schild
I'm a halfpipe whore. I think at the end of THUG my character had maxed out all the vert stuff but had a manual ability of the minimum needed to finish the game. My roommate is the exact oppisite. Go figure.

Im all about street skating. Grind is always the first thing I try and max. (straingly enough its also whats keeping me from finishing THUG on hard).

If any of you guys are getting this for PS2, maybe we should try and get a online game going at some point, as it could be fun, and I never really have a chance to use my PS2 modem very often.
schild
Administrator

Reply #6 on: October 05, 2004, 04:20:23 PM

If any of you guys are getting this for PS2, maybe we should try and get a online game going at some point, as it could be fun, and I never really have a chance to use my PS2 modem very often.

Xbox. Nothing beats high def gaming. I always try to buy for Xbox, I like the S controller and the loading times + hard drive memory saving.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #7 on: October 05, 2004, 04:52:54 PM

Quote from: schild

Xbox. Nothing beats high def gaming. I always try to buy for Xbox, I like the S controller and the loading times + hard drive memory saving.

I agree. I buy 95% of my console games for Xbox, but I just cant stand THPS on the Xbox controller. funny thing. My girlfriend just called me at work and said she bought the game for me. But she picked up the Xbox version, now I have to take it back for the PS2 version.
ShinerBock
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: October 06, 2004, 05:06:25 AM

THPS4 was probably the hardest of all the THPS games.  If you liked all the others besides 4, I would recommend trying THUG1.  I find it to be the easiest of all the Tony Hawk games.  After a few hours of playing THUG2, I would say it's closer in difficulty to THPS4 than it is to THUG1.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #9 on: October 06, 2004, 07:02:47 AM

Xbox. Nothing beats high def gaming.

Even the xbox doesn't beat high-def gaming, most of the time :) Most high-def xbox games have framerate issues or make sacrifices like the Soul Calibur 4:3 cheese. Next gen consoles will be the true hd consoles. X-Men Legends runs well at 720p and looks great, though. But xbox > PS2 because most xbox titles will output progressive scan (and DD5.1, of course), the PS2 usually outputs an interlaced signal.

Hmm. If THPS4 was the toughest in the series (I believe it!) and there are now difficulty options, I may check out the franchise again. I really do dig it, I'm a former skater (peaked 1982-86, I remember original Tony Hawk vids, beyotches). I favor vert.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #10 on: October 06, 2004, 10:09:42 AM

Quote from: ShinerBock
THPS4 was probably the hardest of all the THPS games.  If you liked all the others besides 4, I would recommend trying THUG1.  I find it to be the easiest of all the Tony Hawk games.  After a few hours of playing THUG2, I would say it's closer in difficulty to THPS4 than it is to THUG1.

I LOVED THPS4. That is one of my all time favorite games. I am not so happy with both the THUG games, because they put more emphasis on wierd goals, like pelting people with tomatoes while doing a combo, instead of pure skating tricks. THUG2 is still really fun, and so far I am on the third level on Sick difficulty.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #11 on: October 09, 2004, 06:33:15 PM

UPDATE!

Ok, well, I have been playing THUG2 a lot the past few days. The game is fun if you like the Tony Hawk games. Really not much new. You can no do a natas spin, which is basically a spin on poles and hydrents and stuff.

The only real new addition is "Focus" which is basically bullet-time. It drains your special meter really fast, and you have to stay in a combo, and constantly do tricks to refill you meter. There is also a max time you can stay in focus mode. I think its like 15 or 20 seconds (in focus time, not real time). You can do some killer combos with this, also it REALLY helps for balancing in grinds and manuels. There are a few goals where you have to use focus to land a trick with "perfict", they are neat.

Other than that, not much of note, but still really fun. I am on the last level on Sick difficulty.

Oh, yeah, you can grafitti stuff also. Blah.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #12 on: October 14, 2004, 11:58:30 AM

Ok, well, I have been playing THUG2 a lot the past few days. The game is fun if you like the Tony Hawk games. Really not much new. You can no do a natas spin, which is basically a spin on poles and hydrents and stuff.

Hmm, I just bought it and pulled off a Natas by accident. Or maybe you mistyped and meant otherwise?

I'm liking it so far, and needed a TH game to have around anyways. My only gripe is that it would have been better if the story mode was based on a created character, instead of Bam. Def Jam: Battle for NY does something like this (Oh, and get that too, if you haven't. I'd write some kind of review elsewhere, but it's just a fighting game. That being said, it's one of the best fighting games I've ever played.)

While I'm on the subject, anyone have an opinion on the new MK? I've got some store credit to waste. I have everything I want except Total War or that.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #13 on: October 14, 2004, 01:36:59 PM

Quote from: stray

Hmm, I just bought it and pulled off a Natas by accident. Or maybe you mistyped and meant otherwise?

I'm liking it so far, and needed a TH game to have around anyways. My only gripe is that it would have been better if the story mode was based on a created character, instead of Bam. Def Jam: Battle for NY does something like this (Oh, and get that too, if you haven't. I'd write some kind of review elsewhere, but it's just a fighting game. That being said, it's one of the best fighting games I've ever played.)

While I'm on the subject, anyone have an opinion on the new MK? I've got some store credit to waste. I have everything I want except Total War or that.

I typo'ed that ment to saw "Now" not "No". Also, I went through the story mode with a skater I created. Im not sure what you mean by going through with Bam.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #14 on: October 14, 2004, 01:48:20 PM

Im not sure what you mean by going through with Bam.

Heh, me either. Nevermind that. :)

My character looks like ass close up though. I think I'm just gonna have to go with the Paper Bag (got a little spoiled with Gameface II lately).
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #15 on: October 16, 2004, 01:25:40 PM

So does THUG2 allow you to import skaters from THUG?  Or do I have to redo all the face mapping stuff to live out my skating dreams?

Yes, I am in my late 20s and still skate.  It's just hard to deny the power of doing stuff I could never do (and I mean the realistic tricks) in RL with a skater who looks like me.

If not, maybe I'll fire up THUG again as opposed to dropping the cash, or wait for it to show up used at GameStop.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #16 on: October 16, 2004, 02:02:46 PM

Quote from: CmdrSlack
So does THUG2 allow you to import skaters from THUG?  Or do I have to redo all the face mapping stuff to live out my skating dreams?

AFAIK, I dont think you can import a skater from THUG, thats not to say you cannot though. It does have the facemapping from THUG, and you can now do it yourself if you have an Eyetoy (snicker).

As far as graphics, I think ALL the faces look like a 12 year old boy, kinda silly, but, target audiance and all that.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: THUG 2 Released Today  
Jump to: