Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:14:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Your Top 10 MMOs 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Your Top 10 MMOs  (Read 245562 times)
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #280 on: December 21, 2007, 04:26:58 PM

WoWinsider??
Good god.. I created a monster!!  this guy looks legit  (Luckily I never got any credit for that, yay!  Ohhhhh, I see. )

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #281 on: December 21, 2007, 05:22:55 PM

WoWinsider??

Most WoW players' first MMO was WoW, so don't expect a rush of top 10s.
Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #282 on: December 21, 2007, 05:27:54 PM

Best is hard to judge, since it combines a lot of things, but I'll give it a shot and list the things I like after the game.

1- EverQuest.  - Bard.  Raids.  No coddling (until way later).  Ability to go back and experience former raid content solo or with small groups (again, until way later).
2- Final Fantasy XI - Jobs.  Subjobs.  Cutscenes.  Renkei.  Looking awesome.  High QA resulting in few bugs.
3- Ultima Online - Year 1.  FFA PvP.  Item loss.  Mark/Recall/Gate.
4- World of Warcraft - Short-term mini-goals in the form of quests.  Less, but more varied classes rather than several that do nearly the same thing.  Popular PvP.
5- Lineage II - Territorial control, castle sieges, massive pvp, hot dark elf babes.
6- Dark Age of Camelot - RvR.  Large-scale battles.  Norsemen fighting in the name of Odin!
7- Shadowbane - FFA PvP.  Item Loss.  City building/destruction.
8- Phantasy Star Universe - Action-combat.  Personalized appearrance that doesn't have to be compromised to improve gameplay effectiveness.
9- City of Heroes/Villains - Character customization, fighting large numbers of weak enemies instead of few strong ones.
10- Guild Wars - Skill loadouts that limit the number of prepared skills you can take on a mission.  Pretty characters.

-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #283 on: December 21, 2007, 05:33:23 PM

WoWinsider??
Good god.. I created a monster!!  this guy looks legit  (Luckily I never got any credit for that, yay!  Ohhhhh, I see. )

This means you now have to create a blog and tell developers how to create their games without having to deal with such nuisances as milestones, budget concerns, clueless upper management, etc. Preferably in a snarky tone with plenty of Youtube links. Then do a weekly top-10 MMO countdown.

YOU CAN BE THE CASEY KASEM OF THE MMOSPHERE!

This is internet gold Jerry!

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

I can tell more than 1 fucktard at a time to stfu, have no fears. - WayAbvPar

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #284 on: December 21, 2007, 06:03:10 PM

WoWinsider??

This means you now have to create a blog and tell developers how to create their games without having to deal with such nuisances as milestones, budget concerns, clueless upper management, etc. Preferably in a snarky tone with plenty of Youtube links. Then do a weekly top-10 MMO countdown.

YOU CAN BE THE CASEY KASEM OF THE MMOSPHERE!

That sounds much more like HRose. And no thank you.

My blog only sports a cheesy Vanguard review because I wear my scars with shame and pride at the same time.

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #285 on: December 21, 2007, 06:27:03 PM

Can I use that?  awesome, for real
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #286 on: December 21, 2007, 09:39:11 PM

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #287 on: December 21, 2007, 11:31:21 PM

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
RJO
Terracotta Army

Reply #288 on: December 22, 2007, 02:24:10 AM

*delurk*

This is partly based on played time (75%) and the rest based on impact/potential/contribution...

1. Everquest 2
2. Ultima Online
3. Star Wars Galaxies (pre nge - cu was not the worst thing in the world to me)
4. Final Fantasy XI
5. Everquest
6. Asheron's Call 2
7. Vanguard
8. World of Warcraft
9. Anarchy Online
10. World War 2 Online

Everquest 2 is number one on my list essentially because of the sheer amount of time I've played it and the doors the game opened for me.  I've been playing multiplayer RPGs since I ran a BBS in the late 80s but with EQ2 I enjoyed the ride to the end levels so much and for the first time did raiding and explored everything end game had to offer, just a great game - tonnes of content and has that vital MMO driver of the sense of evolution and going concern.

UO is number two on my list for the same reason it appears in the top 2 or 3 on most people's list - it was my first real love affair with this genre.  The feeling of an open ended world where you could live the adventure you wanted to live and create the content you wanted to create was amazing.  I also developed many lasting friendships in this game and really started to realize that the internet had a lot to offer as a social tool.

SWG - Pre Cu.  UO 1.5 in space.  Jump to light speed also brought on some entertaining space combat to add into the mix with the already existing interesting classes, social features (housing, towns, etc), deep crafting and sometimes enjoyable adventuring experience.

FFXI.  I've gotta say for me this is the best group-based-raid-end-game focused MMO.  Yes forced grouping sucks when you actually want to just get in and out but if you have the time to give this game it will give you countless hours of entertainment. 

Everquest.  Probably one of the MMOs I played the least (being a big UO loyalist got in the way of my falling for this game at release) on my list.  But I don't think you have a credible top-MMO list without Everquest appearing in your top 5.  The game set the gold-standard for all that followed and the industry has been trying to make a better EQ ever since.

AC2.  Heralded as the first third-gen MMO and later as a huge failure by most this game always holds a special place in my heart.  Every time I'm feeling burnout in whatever MMO I'm currently playing I say "geez, I wish I could fire up AC2 right now".  There was something about the game to me.  Yes the world was sparsely populated and at times it just felt plain empty but the /music system, the prospect of watching and helping to slowly rebuild the world, the vault system, etc it was just great.  This was also the first game I worked with friends to play together through the levels and I think it was all the better experience for that...

Vanguard - I think we'll wake up one day two years from now and find this list in the top 5 of many people.  I think there is still hope here and that the game in its current form is a solid base to build a great lasting experience on.

World of Warcraft.  I've got quite a bit of time /played in the game but I've never made it to end game.  I've gotten really close but then just lose interest.  I don't know what it is but WoW just does not click with me.  That aside - I realize the contribution this game has made to the genre and I've had some great people join my various guilds where WoW was their entry point into the genre.  I think everyone in this industry needs to thank the WoW team for opening the doors and needs to get to work on innovations that will begin to chip away at their market share (and for the love of god stop trying to make WoW 2.0)

Anarchy Online. Two years ago this was a top 5 for me.  The sci-fi setting was fairly ground breaking for an MMO and despite its launch (ahh June of 2001, AO and WW2O, that was an epic month to be involved in this genre) the game had a lot of fun to offer and tried desperately to bridge the feature gap between UO and EQ offering level tread-mill based game play while trying to include social features like housing, non combat, etc.  I have many fond memories of the game and still login from time to time as a froob.

World War 2 Online.  The final slot on the list goes to a game that is a survivor.  This game had a terrible launch (free gameplay for the first many moons anyone?) and had an engine that made the baby jesus weep.  Despite all of that the game offers a thrilling game play experience when you can manage to find people to shoot at.  In the last few years the team has done a really good job of adding in features to focus the combat and get people into the same place so many of the games cons have been addressed.  Despite the game's small community there are still some epic battles and there is nothing quite like hiding in a building hoping to god that those Germans keep on moving after you spent an hour sneaking behind enemy lines to make that key control point capture.

*relurk*
flamez911
Terracotta Army

Reply #289 on: December 22, 2007, 03:50:11 AM

1. Puzzle Pirates - Great player controlled economy, great PvP, multiplayer is almost forced upon you,  high end action is exhilarating, and so forth. I can't think of a game that comes close to it.
2...gap
3...gap
4.  Guild Wars- Fun. Combat is enjoyable, and the grind doesn't take years.
5. WoW - Raiding is cool. I don't spend more than an hour a week on it though.
6. Ultima Online- This could be a totally different game now. Haven't played for three years or so, but it was fun when I did.
7 Everquest 2- I haven't played a fifth MMO, but my brother says to put EQ2 here.
Cheston
Terracotta Army

Reply #290 on: December 22, 2007, 11:17:25 AM

My top 10 list:

1.) Everquest
2.) World of Warcraft
3.) Dark Age of Camelot
4.) Everquest 2
5.) Star Wars Galaxies
6.) Lord of the Rings Online
7.) EVE Online
8.) City of Heroes
9.) Final Fantasy XI
10.) Vanguard
konnorkay
Terracotta Army

Reply #291 on: December 22, 2007, 11:55:32 AM

my top 10 is

1) Dark Age of Camelot
2) Ultima Online
3) Everquest 2
4) Anarchy online
5) World of Warcraft
6) Star Wars Galaxies
7) Everquest
8) City of Heroes
9) Eve
10) Vanguard
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #292 on: December 22, 2007, 12:04:40 PM

Holy shit, look at 'em coming out of the woodwork.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #293 on: December 22, 2007, 12:21:36 PM

Uh oh.  Now that they're out, we'll probably have to recruit more lurkers, won't we.  Once you un-lurk, you can never go back. 

Monika T'Sarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #294 on: December 22, 2007, 07:09:53 PM

Uh oh.  Now that they're out, we'll probably have to recruit more lurkers, won't we.  Once you un-lurk, you can never go back. 

That's only true for the casual lurker. Hardcore lurkers like me are not so easily converted.

Monika T'Sarn
The Combine
www.the-combine.net
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #295 on: December 23, 2007, 02:40:07 AM

Just updated. 150 votes so far.

Dark Age of Camelot and Ultima Online are so close for third place.
EverQuest 2 just passed Star Wars Galaxies.
Shadowbane got his 12th place back.
Final Fantasy XI is slowly growing.
Dungeons & Dragons Online jumped up in 18th place.

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #296 on: December 23, 2007, 05:17:49 AM

EverQuest 2 just passed Star Wars Galaxies.

Finally, there is hope for humanity  smiley

And thanks for keeping this list going man. Great stuff!
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #297 on: December 23, 2007, 05:44:35 AM

And thanks for keeping this list going man. Great stuff!

My pleasure. It's a sort of grind after all, and I am -sadly- used to it.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #298 on: December 23, 2007, 07:15:04 AM

That's only true for the casual lurker. Hardcore lurkers like me are not so easily converted.

You're different, Monika.  We know you and we know you're watching.  We feel your eyes on us.  Sometimes I even imagine there's a wee red dot on my forehead!  Anyway, these other lurkers... we didn't even know they existed!  Now we need to get them all to write introduction posts. 

Talonus
Terracotta Army

Reply #299 on: December 23, 2007, 07:50:33 AM

Another lurking chiming in, hooray. I won't bother explaining. I do wish games that could be played through browser were allowed so I could stick Dragon Realms and Gemstone II/III/IV on the list though.

1) DAoC
2) Everquest
3) Ultima Online
4) FFXI
5) WoW
6) Everquest 2
7) Asheron's Call
8) CoX
9) Anarchy Online
10) Eve
Saylah
Terracotta Army

Reply #300 on: December 23, 2007, 08:43:12 AM

1. World of Warcraft
2. EQ2
3. Eve Online
4. Asheron's Call
JessicaM
Terracotta Army

Reply #301 on: December 23, 2007, 09:04:46 AM

1.   Asheron’s Call 1 (Microsoft and Turbine, 1999)
2.   MultiPlayer BattleTech (Activision, Kesmai Corp. and GEnie, 1992)
3.   Air Warrior (Kesmai Corp., 1986)
4.   MUD II (MUSE, 1984)
5.   Ultima Online (Origin, 1997)
6.   Anarchy Online (Funcom, 2001)
7.   DAoC (Mythic, 2001)
8.   WoW (Blizzard, 2004)
9.   AD&D: Neverwinter Nights (SSI, Stormfront and AOL, 1992)

1.   Asheron’s Call 1 (Microsoft and Turbine, 1999) – The most fun I ever had playing a fantasy MMO.  Not as pretty as EQ1, but lots more to do and see.  If Microsoft had launched more than one expansion pack in 5 years, it probably would have had a lot more players.

2.   MultiPlayer BattleTech (Activision, Kesmai Corp. and GEnie, 1992) – The most fun I ever had playing a non-fantasy MMO.  Based on the original MechWarrior 3D 1st Person retail game.  Also the first MMO that had true solo activities; you didn’t have to belong to a Great House or player-run mercenary unit unless you wanted to; you could still perform missions and flip a planet’s allegiance to one of the Great Houses all by yourself.

3.   Air Warrior (Kesmai Corp., 1986) – A WWII air combat simulator that was also the first true graphic front end MMO.  Also the first MMO with enough flexibility to allow true emergent game play, designed by the players.  For example, Full-Contact Jeep Racing and Land The B-17 On The Aircraft Carrier competitions.

4.   MUD II (MUSE, 1984) – The commercial successor to the Trubshaw/Bartle MUD I from 1979.  Trubshaw and Bartle showed us where the path began; that alone should get them on every Top <x> list.  MUD II did something 23 years ago that no MMO does today (for obvious reasons): when you maxed your character, you got access to the UNIX commands on the backend and had super-user powers.  The ensuing chaos was annoying, yet amusing at the same time.

5.   Ultima Online (Origin, 1997) – No one will ever develop a fantasy MMO with such depth and breadth again.  At least, not without spending something like $100 million just in development costs.

6.   Anarchy Online (Funcom, 2001) – Funcom gave us instancing, a major innovation that is incredibly useful for some types of MMO designs.

7.   DAoC (Mythic, 2001) – RvR, natch.  One of the first implementations that recognized that PvP doesn’t have to mean just “Me versus You”, but can have greater meaning and context as “My Guys/Side versus Your Guys/Side.”

8.   WoW (Blizzard, 2004) – Nothing revolutionary here, unless you count actually looking at what various player types wanted in an MMO, giving it to them and then polishing the hell out of it as ‘revolutionary’.  Blizzard proved that craftsmanship in development is important, something all too rare in MMOs.

9.   AD&D: Neverwinter Nights (SSI, Stormfront and AOL, 1992) – The first deal cut with a publisher to bring a retail game online as an MMO.  Lots done right, lots done wrong, but still a watershed effort in the industry.

Tairnyn
Terracotta Army

Reply #302 on: December 23, 2007, 09:31:04 AM

1. World of Warcraft
2. Dark Age of Camelot
3. EVE Online
4. Everquest 2
5. A Tale in the Desert
6. Anarchy Online
7. City of Heroes
8. Lord of the Rings Online
9. Final Fantasy XI
10. Shadowbane
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #303 on: December 23, 2007, 11:28:26 AM

Noooo! Planetside!

Well, I guess it only appeals to people who are into FPS. :P

I've always thought it only appeals to people who aren't goldfish...

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #304 on: December 23, 2007, 01:21:27 PM

1. World of Warcraft
2. EQ2
3. Eve Online
4. Asheron's Call

Your list doesn't count as you listed only 4 games instead of the required 5. It's still an interesting list but I won't count the points for it. You can fix it, but read the rules please.

IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #305 on: December 23, 2007, 07:36:58 PM

Here's mine. Note that 1-4 are my best MMOs and from 5 onwards they're my least worst. Note also that I have no integrity or moral compunction regarding pimping stuff I work for.

1: Dark Age of Camelot. I played it and loved it before it was my job.
2: EvE Online. The MMO sphere needs this game to show what happens when you make an game with no preconceptions.
3: Warhammer: Age of Reckoning. Yeah. I know. When it's finished, I fully expect it to jump two places. Bite me.
4: Some MUD I don't remember the name of. It had four different areas - a generic fantasy one, a sci0-fi one etc. It rocked. If anyone knows what it was called I'd be obliged (was something like Legend of Four Kingdoms or so).
5: EQII. If I had time to play another MMO, this would be it.
6: LotRO. So much potential, such a disappointing experience.
7: SW:G. See above but more so.
8: World of Warcraft. It's like a Jessica Simpson album. You might think the music sucks but you have to applaud the production values that make it possible for her to sing in tune.
9: Auto Assault. If they'd implemented gameplay this would have been a very nice game.
10: City of Whatever. Fantastic fun for about a week.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #306 on: December 24, 2007, 01:34:21 AM

I am weak on rules too after all, but isnt' IainC a redname too?

LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #307 on: December 24, 2007, 01:41:15 AM

Here's mine. Note that 1-4 are my best MMOs and from 5 onwards they're my least worst. Note also that I have no integrity or moral compunction regarding pimping stuff I work for.

2: EvE Online. The MMO sphere needs this game to show what happens when you make an game with no preconceptions.
3: Warhammer: Age of Reckoning. Yeah. I know. When it's finished, I fully expect it to jump two places. Bite me.
4: Some MUD I don't remember the name of. It had four different areas - a generic fantasy one, a sci0-fi one etc. It rocked. If anyone knows what it was called I'd be obliged (was something like Legend of Four Kingdoms or so).
8: World of Warcraft. It's like a Jessica Simpson album. You might think the music sucks but you have to applaud the production values that make it possible for her to sing in tune.
9: Auto Assault. If they'd implemented gameplay this would have been a very nice game.

How the hell can you put Auto Assault, something that tanked and is a "Me Too" of WoW design, in the same Top 10 list as WoW, and at roughly the same level?

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #308 on: December 24, 2007, 01:51:14 AM

How the hell can you put Auto Assault, something that tanked and is a "Me Too" of WoW design, in the same Top 10 list as WoW, and at roughly the same level?

Obv I am not IainC. But you answer your own question here. WoW has no innvoation or original ideas. Auto Assault has no innovation or original ideas. They both have fundamentally the same design. So you are left with which one rocked your boat on an artistic level.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #309 on: December 24, 2007, 06:08:20 AM

Obv I am not IainC. But you answer your own question here. WoW has no innvoation or original ideas. Auto Assault has no innovation or original ideas. They both have fundamentally the same design. So you are left with which one rocked your boat on an artistic level.

Sort of what he said. WoW was a beautifully made game which deserves recognition for that alone even though I am not a fan of the actual game. AA appealed to me because it was a look outside the box regardless of how flawed the implementation of it was. I didn't like either game as a playing experience but I feel that both needed to be recognised for what they brought along.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Monika T'Sarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #310 on: December 24, 2007, 06:50:36 AM

How can you say WoW had no innovative ideas ? It totally redefined how the genre works. I don't know all games, but lets just look at EQ and DAOC before: You level by finding a nice spot to camp and grinding the mobs that respawn there. Quests are something you rarely do, and only if there's a really good reward at the end. Dungeons are mostly just more places to camp. Leveling requires,for most classes, a group. Leveling is hard.
In WoW, you have quests as the basic mechanism for leveling, instead of grinding on mobs. The quests lead you from area to area, you allways find more of them as you go. You can solo to the top level. Dungeons as instances add something new, a time-limited adventure for a group to join up for.  Leveling is easy. These chances, and not just the polish, are what made WoW so successfull.
And these changes are here to stay, just look at the relative success of Lotro thats following the WoW model allmost directly compared to Vanguard.

Monika T'Sarn
The Combine
www.the-combine.net
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #311 on: December 24, 2007, 06:56:48 AM

Oh  ACK!. Can we please (just a kind request) end it here? The argument about WoW being or not a genre innovator is a well known threadbreaker  swamp poop

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #312 on: December 24, 2007, 08:24:35 AM

Pretty soon I'll start spouting off about UO Trammel WOOOOO! Its required after any thread, poll or not, reaches 9 pages :)

Nice thread BTW Falc.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
schild
Administrator

Reply #313 on: December 24, 2007, 08:36:30 AM

Falconeer's right, there's even seperate forums to keep that crap from overflowing into the important stuff.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #314 on: December 24, 2007, 08:53:02 AM

How can you say WoW had no innovative ideas ? It totally redefined how the genre works. I don't know all games, but lets just look at EQ and DAOC before: You level by finding a nice spot to camp and grinding the mobs that respawn there. Quests are something you rarely do, and only if there's a really good reward at the end. Dungeons are mostly just more places to camp. Leveling requires,for most classes, a group. Leveling is hard.
In WoW, you have quests as the basic mechanism for leveling, instead of grinding on mobs. The quests lead you from area to area, you allways find more of them as you go. You can solo to the top level. Dungeons as instances add something new, a time-limited adventure for a group to join up for.  Leveling is easy. These chances, and not just the polish, are what made WoW so successfull.
And these changes are here to stay, just look at the relative success of Lotro thats following the WoW model allmost directly compared to Vanguard.
EQ2 came out before WoW. Thanks for playing.

WoW = polish, art style, low system reqs. Not undermining the importance of those factors, but that's really the only thing WoW did better than anyone else.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Your Top 10 MMOs  
Jump to: