Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:33:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Your Top 10 MMOs 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Your Top 10 MMOs  (Read 245581 times)
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #140 on: December 19, 2007, 01:42:37 PM

HA, I never read the OP  Ohhhhh, I see.

"Me am play gods"
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #141 on: December 19, 2007, 01:46:34 PM

Yes, perhaps WoW wouldn't have so many damn points if people hadn't listed 10 initially.

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
Tuebit
Terracotta Army

Reply #142 on: December 19, 2007, 02:23:03 PM

#1 SWG Classic (Pre CU) - Had problems, but I loved the social and economic aspects.
#2 Lotro - It's pretty, it's LotR.
#3 CoH - Fun fast paced combat.
#4 UO - My first love.
#5 WoW - Played only briefly. It did nothing for me. But it's a beautiful example of its type.
#10 DnL - The game sucked, but early in beta, the boards were fun!
FeebleMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #143 on: December 19, 2007, 02:35:56 PM

WoW - Static content that never stops, BGs
Eve - Dynamic content that never stops
SWG - Sporadic content of both types
AC1 - Content patches
LotRO - So close, soo close
PS - Had its day, fighting for the same crap every day got old
DAoC - RvR
EQ - My first
WWIIOL - Tense, intense, weighed down by a 10 ton albatross of an engine
AO - Instances
Jeremy_Dalberg
Developers

EA

Reply #144 on: December 19, 2007, 02:37:24 PM

1) Ultima Online
2) City of Heroes
3) Tabula Rasa
4) WoW
5) Dungeon Runners

UO because, dude, any game that keeps my interest for ten whole years deserves some credit.  (Disclaimer:  I'm the CM for it.  The playing-for-ten-years came first, though.)

CoH because it was the first MMO that managed to pry my attention away from UO, it was different, and I really like the combat.

TR because it is hella fun, the clone system is brilliant, and... did I mention it's hella fun?  (Will probably overtake CoH in six months or so.)

WoW because, despite the fact that I quit three times trying to make it through the first 20 levels, I did eventually push past the mind-numbingly trite early game and get to the good bits.  Which are, in fact, good.

Dungeon Runners because it's fucking funny.  And free.  (Disclaimer:  I was the CM for that in beta, and I ADORE the dev team.  I miss you guys!)

I almost listed Guild Wars, because I really did enjoy it, but I don't think I ever actually interacted with another human being while playing it, so it doesn't make sense to compare it.  I've played a handful of others, but most of them I wouldn't have picked up if I hadn't been paid to, and while I can appreciate their virtues, they don't hold the same place in my heart.
Cuppycake
Developers

Areae, Inc.

Reply #145 on: December 19, 2007, 02:44:20 PM

1) Everquest
2) World of Warcraft
3) Everquest 2
4) Ultima Online
5) DaOC

Community Manager
Metaplace
www.metaplace.com
Blackguard
Developers

38 Studios

Reply #146 on: December 19, 2007, 02:59:29 PM

Ultima OnlineThe first, in my book, deserves the title.
EverQuestThe second, and precursor to every traditional MMO, including WoW.
World of Warcraft  The best overall, but it had a lot to reference.
EverQuest 2It's a great game, and currently second best IMO.
EVE OnlineI disagree with a lot of their decisions, but they stick to them.

Ryan "Blackguard" Shwayder
Game Designer at 38 Studios
Custodian of the Nerfbat
Stephen Zepp
Developers

InstantAction

Reply #147 on: December 19, 2007, 03:18:00 PM

Guess I should jump in:

1) EQ--still playing it. Tonight's Anguish raid night :P
2) ShadowBane. Pretty much Haemish said it all.
3) PlanetSide -- again, said before, but seeing 20 tanks, 5 galaxies, 50 inf and dozens of other assorted vehicles massed at a warpgate to break out of sanc loc was simply an awesome thing.
4) Guild Wars -- Organized PvP is always fun, and it caught my attention--10-15 min fights, rinse/repeat eats up a lot of time in a fun way.
5)  NDA

If the inclusion of  NDA in my list would violate the rules, put Horizons in there, purely for the potential it could have had.

Rumors of War
dwindlehop
Terracotta Army

Reply #148 on: December 19, 2007, 03:26:34 PM

1. Eve
2. Ultima Online
3. Second Life
4. Dark Age of Camelot
5. FFXI

I didn't really play DAoC, but I have this friend, see. Also, I did play SB and there's no way that's getting on the list.

I agree with everyone who says that 10 is way too many. New poll: how many MMORPGs have you paid money for? Bet the median here is three and amongst normal online gamers it is 1.
Taymar
Terracotta Army

Reply #149 on: December 19, 2007, 03:29:54 PM

1) EQ
2) EQ2
3) SWG (pre-NGE!)
4) LotRO
5) WoW
6) CoH

(and for the record, I paid for all of these! And Vanguard :P)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 03:31:47 PM by Taymar »
Oracle
Terracotta Army

Reply #150 on: December 19, 2007, 03:46:28 PM

1) Asheron's Call
2) City of Heroes
3) World of Warcraft
4) Toontown
5) Puzzle Pirates
DrewC
Developers

Flying Lab

Reply #151 on: December 19, 2007, 03:49:25 PM

Following the precedent set by the esteemed Mr. Jennings I will not list the game I work on, as I am woefully partisan.

1) World of Warcraft:  I firmly believe that somewhere in a vault at Activizzard head quarters is The Plan.  It reads 1. Find existing gameplay.  2. Remove as much suck as possible.  3.  Polish.  4.  Profit.  For me World of Warcraft was EQ with all of the suck squeezed out and lots of polish and bug fixing.  This, it turns out, was pretty much exactly what I wanted after playing Everquest.

2) Everquest:  It's an unpolished version of WoW, but the game kicks me in the balls for playing it.  Also my guild expects me to wake up in the middle of the night to kill a dragon who has just spawned so that one person can get an item they will use solely for wipe recovery.  The best times I had in EQ were when I was in college and raiding with a European guild in the middle of the afternoon.  I would study while we waited on the pull, and still have free time to go out and do stuff at night.  This was also my first MMO, so I'm sure Nostalgia is pushing this up the list.

3) Dark Age of Camelot:  Full disclosure, I was a Customer Service Monkey for Dark Age for a bit more than a year.  I still feel justified including it on the list because I played it before I started working there.  Honestly I played it a lot more before I started working there, spending 40 hours a week in the game client listening to people complain about hurt feelings rubs a lot of the shiny off of a game.

4) Vanguard:  Vanguard was a game that was very much aimed at the EQ fan in me.  Very focused on group PvE, lots of classes, lots of complex group interaction.  The problem was that between Everquest and Vanguard I played WoW, and that changed my standards for polish and performance, and Vanguard couldn't match those standards.  I've gone back a couple of times to play Vanguard again, and every time I do I have fun, and then I fall through the world.  It doesn't help that the horizon in Vanguard is hard to see.  WoW raid progression is easy to see, I know what it is I'm working towards.  It's fairly likely that I'll never see the inside of Black Temple, but knowing that it's there, and that if I do get there it's packed with awesome rewards, is important.  I never found that in Vanguard.  Honestly I might still play Vanguard if I had.

5) Jump Gate:  I really enjoyed this game, the little bit of it I played.  It was just enough space fighter game play for me.  I seem to recall quitting because I had to spend a bunch of time mining if I wanted a better spaceship.

6) City of Heroes:  There was a lot of fun stuff in City of Heroes, what killed it for me was grouping.  My grouping experience in City of Heroes was "8 spastics join together, and fighting independently in the same place, racking up XP."  There was none of the interplay of skills and abilities I was used to from EQ.  We didn't need a healer, we didn't need a tank, we just needed 7 other people.  It's entirely possible I was simply doing it wrong, but we were winning.

7)  Planetside:  I only played the free trial, but my experience was:  boring tutorial, boring tutorial, OMG I'm the door gunner on a gunship and I'm recreating Full Metal Jacket this is the awesome!, lag, dead, lag, dead, lag, dead.   Hmm I don't think my computer/internet connection can handle this game.

8) Guild Wars:  I had the same issue with Guild Wars that I had in City of Heroes:  I felt like I was in a group of 8 people doing their own thing and we were winning.  I never felt like I was really part of a team, but I am fully willing to believe that I was simply doing it wrong.  I heard good things about their PvP, but I not a huge fan of arena PvP to begin with.

9) Horizons:  It seemed interesting, but when I tried to play it near release the latency was completely unplayable.  My strongest memory from the game is running off to explore, finding a huge tower, climbing to the top, and finding absolutely nothing there.

10) Anarchy Online:  I played at release.  I feel that accurately summarizes my issues with the game.

"Make no little plans. They have no magic to stir men's blood and probably themselves will not be realized."
Daniel Burnham, Chicago architect. (1864-1912)
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #152 on: December 19, 2007, 04:09:23 PM

Holy shit, I'm logging into f13 for the first time in like 2 years to respond to a poll.  Blame Raph and his poetry blog.

1 - WoW - I can't tell you why, I can only tell you I played it a lot more than anything else.  Proof's in the /played pudding.
2 - ATiTD - Best crafting ever.  Even though I ground charcoal for 6 hours at one point.  Not exaggerating.
3 - Battletech 3025 - Purely on mechalicious potential.  Fuck everyone who assisted in its demise.  In the face.
4 - DaoC - First graphical mud I spent any time on.  I remember enjoying it.
5 - Shadowbane - Because rubberbanding is my favorite gameplay mechanic
6 - PotBS - Patrician II multiplayer
7 - Conan - to hear the lamentation of the women
8 - Planetside - seemed like a good idea at the time
9 - CoH - best character creation/paperdoll minigame I've ever played
10 - Second Life - I don't play it, but it gets points for drawing the pedophiles and furries away from the other games

« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 04:50:06 PM by sidereal »

THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVERY WANTED TO GET IN TO A BETA
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #153 on: December 19, 2007, 04:16:09 PM

I agree with everyone who says that 10 is way too many. New poll: how many MMORPGs have you paid money for? Bet the median here is three and amongst normal online gamers it is 1.

I am an outlier, obviously, but I have tested and then proceeded to purchase and play almost every MMOG that has been listed in this thread thus far, and some that haven't been mentioned. But statistically speaking, I am insignificant. Glad to see more people jumping in still. This turned out to be a very good poll.

Also, please to be updating the totals soon, Falconeer.  Get off my lawn!

"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #154 on: December 19, 2007, 04:46:17 PM

3 - Battletech 3025 - Purely on mechalicious potential.  Fuck everyone who assisted in its demise.  In the face.

Oh fuck.

Falcon I need a redo, you can see here on reply #18 that I had it in my top20 games of all time, unlike any of this other MMO shit.  I totally don't even think of it as a MMO because it was more of a lobby+gameroom game and I wasn't including those for some reason.  Unless those don't count in which case whatever, but if you can do lobby+room I need to seriously revamp, putting infinity, mpbt3025, gunz & gunbound on my list.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Zonk
Terracotta Army

Slashdot Games

Reply #155 on: December 19, 2007, 04:58:47 PM

1. World of Warcraft
2. Guild Wars
3. Star Wars Galaxies
4. EverQuest II
5. City of Heroes/Villains
6. Puzzle Pirates
7. Final Fantasy XI
8. A Tale in the Desert
9. Dungeons and Dragons Online
10. EverQuest

Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #156 on: December 19, 2007, 05:00:03 PM

Oh fuck.

Falcon I need a redo, you can see here on reply #18 that I had it in my top20 games of all time, unlike any of this other MMO shit.  I totally don't even think of it as a MMO because it was more of a lobby+gameroom game and I wasn't including those for some reason.  Unless those don't count in which case whatever, but if you can do lobby+room I need to seriously revamp, putting infinity, mpbt3025, gunz & gunbound on my list.

Oh! I had a blast playing Gunbound. Wow, I had forgot all about it. I need to re-install that and play again.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #157 on: December 19, 2007, 05:06:30 PM

Alright, just updated. Thanks to Raph and Sanya's (doesn't she deserve a red name anymore? Isn't "Once a redname always a redname"?) linking we reached 95 votes. As useless as this chart is, 100 votes would be a nice goal.

Note #1 - UO and EQ are now #3 and #4 place. Yikes!

Note #2 - The lurker named "justdave" is the only one other than me to list Motor City Online. For that he wins a dinner, my treat. Seriously, come Roma and you'll get to eat serious stuff.

Note #3 - DrewC, the dev for PotBS, listed Vanguard in 4th place. And you wonder why they just injected more grind in Pirates? (ok, that was unnecessary and rude, but couldn't help it  awesome, for real Sorry ).

Note #4 - Lobby+rooms are so ambiguous. Can't really decide. I'll keep going on them case by case. But if I remember correctly, Battletech 3025 died in beta and never reached release, right? That's why it doesn't count in the first place.

schild
Administrator

Reply #158 on: December 19, 2007, 05:08:07 PM

Once a redname always a redname

No.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #159 on: December 19, 2007, 05:08:52 PM

Note #4 - Lobby+rooms are so ambiguous. Can't really decide. I'll keep going on them case by case. But if I remember correctly, Battletech 3025 died in beta and never reached release, right? That's why it doesn't count in the first place.

That beta had about 50 times more glorious pwnage in it then most of the trash on these lists...
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 05:15:23 PM by Hoax »

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Solok
Terracotta Army

Reply #160 on: December 19, 2007, 05:09:06 PM

1. World of Warcraft - Levels 1-60 were extremely fun solo or with friends.
2. City of Hero's/Villains - Fun, original, great customizations.
3. Lord of the Rings Online - Fun gameplay, Tolkien lore, nice visuals.
4. Everquest Online Adventures - First MMO I played, launch sucked, made some great friends I've since lost, first MMO for a console (I believe).
5. Dark Age of Camelot - Fun game, cool RvR, nice classes
6. Ultima Online - One of the early pioneers in graphical MUD's.
7. Everquest - Mainstream media coverage made more people aware of the MMO sub-culture.
8. Horizons - Launch sucked, crappy frame rates in populated areas, missing content - however for some reason I just clicked with the world until I just couldn't take anymore
9. Second Life - RMT, worldly game, potential for extreme player impact on the world.
10. Final Fantasy XI - Could have been a game I played for years - so much potential - couldn't stand the slow combat so much I never even finished the first 30 days.
justdave
Terracotta Army

Reply #161 on: December 19, 2007, 05:30:01 PM

For that he wins a dinner, my treat. Seriously, come Roma and you'll get to eat serious stuff.

If I ever make it over there, I'll be sure to cadge any pointers to the non-gringo-tourist food.  Heart

"They started to resist with a crust that was welded with human brain and willpower."
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #162 on: December 19, 2007, 06:03:48 PM

I'm saddened by the fact that the two games I currently pay for (Dungeon Runners and Eve) are not on my list.  Why do I pay for things I don't enjoy?  Help me, Buddha.

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #163 on: December 19, 2007, 06:18:19 PM

UO because, dude, any game that keeps my interest for ten whole years deserves some credit.  (Disclaimer:  I'm the CM for it.  The playing-for-ten-years came first, though.)

I applaud your strength in having not yet killed yourself despite your high level of Stratics exposure and inabillity to call the peons there a bunch of fuckwits.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
schild
Administrator

Reply #164 on: December 19, 2007, 06:29:54 PM

I'm saddened by the fact that the two games I currently pay for (Dungeon Runners and Eve) are not on my list.  Why do I pay for things I don't enjoy?  Help me, Buddha.

HOLY CRAP YOU'RE STILL ALIVE.

Charlie Brown, come home.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #165 on: December 19, 2007, 06:54:13 PM

1. DAoC -- RvR.  On any given day, you could 8-man, run with a zerg to take keeps,  port to an enemy realm for small group action and ambushes (Doden's runs!), and had your choice of three fairly well poplulated BGs to try your hand at different classes/playstyles.  Buffed level 24 Nightshade in thidranki felt like cheating,  but was ohhh soo much fun.

2. LOTRO -- Dull as paint combat,  some awful instance/dungeon design.  Gorgeous scenery,  very good story-based quests and gameplay.  Probably the best use of flavor in an MMO.  My interest petered out as I finished up most of the polished content at level 47.

3. Magic Online -- If that counts.  If not, disregard and bump up the next three.

4. Tabula Rasa -- Consoley game with fun combat and decent quests.  The CP stuff,  and use of allied npcs vs enemy npcs,  is great.  Already it's starting to wear a bit, though.

5. CoH  -- Superheros.  Pointless grind knocked this out for me in my second month,  though I often think about resubscribing to give it another shot.  I liked the cool, fun, flavorable abilities,  and character creation.

6. WoW -- I think I leveled to 6 three times,  but didn't see anything to drag me away from RvR in DAoC.

I've played a few others,  but didn't last out the first week.
wilhelm2451
Terracotta Army

Reply #166 on: December 19, 2007, 07:01:40 PM

1) EQ
2) EQ2
3) WoW
4) EVE Online
5) LotRO
cerebus
Terracotta Army

Reply #167 on: December 19, 2007, 07:19:24 PM

1 - Everquest
2 - Ultima Online
3 - World of Warcraft
4 - Everquest 2
5 -  Dark Age of Camelot
6 - Star Wars Galaxies (Pre-NGE)
7 - City of Heroes
8 - Anarchy Online
9 - Tabula Rasa
10 - Vanguard
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #168 on: December 19, 2007, 07:31:06 PM

1) AC1 (Darktide)  - content patches and very solo/casual friendly (this and UO were by far the best social experiences I had in MMOs)
2) UO (Siege Perilous - Kal ort Por is for pussies)
3) WoW (polished and pretty)
4) SWG (pre everything)
5) Shadowbane
6) CoH (gets rated for the character creation - beyond that was my fastest burnout ever)
7) Second Life

That covers all the ones I ever played past beta, or actualy paid money towards.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #169 on: December 19, 2007, 08:33:24 PM

HOLY CRAP YOU'RE STILL ALIVE.

Charlie Brown, come home.

I was waiting for a sequel to House of Sand and Fog to review, but sadly none was forthcoming.

Jeremy_Dalberg
Developers

EA

Reply #170 on: December 19, 2007, 09:11:53 PM

I applaud your strength in having not yet killed yourself despite your high level of Stratics exposure and inabillity to call the peons there a bunch of fuckwits.

Why, thank you :)  They're not all that bad, actually - judging from the occasional quotes my comrades send me, the DAoC VN boards are a thousand times worse. 
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #171 on: December 19, 2007, 09:15:27 PM

Why, thank you :)  They're not all that bad, actually - judging from the occasional quotes my comrades send me, the DAoC VN boards are a thousand times worse. 

Oh dear god are they ever. Our server went so far as to start their own boards (palomides.net) because the VN Boards were so bad.

Cosmik
Terracotta Army

Reply #172 on: December 19, 2007, 09:32:31 PM

1) World of WarCraft
2) Dark Age of Camelot
3) Ultima Online
4) Anarchy Online
5) Guild Wars
6) Lord of the Rings Online
7) City of Heroes/Villains
8) Final Fantasy XI
9) EverQuest II
10) Star Wars Galaxies

Who I was playing with in each MMO is as important as the game play of the MMO itself in my rankings.
naladini
Terracotta Army

Reply #173 on: December 19, 2007, 10:00:36 PM

1) EverQuest
2) SWG
3) EverQuest 2
4) Guild Wars
5) World of Warcraft
6) ToonTown
7) PlanetSide
8) City of Heroes
9) Asheron's Call 2
10) LotRO

I'm voting based on my memory of time played, which coincidentally, seems to be a key advancement function of several of these titles. :)
dr_dre
Terracotta Army

Reply #174 on: December 20, 2007, 12:57:56 AM

1. Asherons call 2
2. Horizons
3. World of warcraft
4. Everquest 2
5. Lotro

at 1: This was my 1st mmo and it had elements in it that are, till this date, unprecedented.  You try and dive into a lake like you could in ac2 :)
    2: The crafting was so addicting. I nearly had a sleep deficiency :)
    3: Cant beat them then join 'em
    4: Best job i ever had .. No really this game took to much effort to actually achieve something.
    5: The everlasting Lifetime option did it for me. ( and my daughter)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Your Top 10 MMOs  
Jump to: