Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:51:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Your Top 10 MMOs 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Your Top 10 MMOs  (Read 245578 times)
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #105 on: December 17, 2007, 07:13:08 AM

After playing Shadows of Yserbius (very expensive, charged per hour) my old buddy showed me how to connect to BBS's with my nifty 2400 baud modem.  Hooray monthly fees.  I played Tele-Arena A LOT. 

I can still map out from the Town Square to the Minotaur. (E D W W W SW S S S)  I think that's right.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #106 on: December 17, 2007, 07:15:04 AM

Based on /played

EQ
DAoC
AO
CoX
EQ2
Planetside
SWG
WoW

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #107 on: December 17, 2007, 07:25:43 AM

1. Dark Age of Camelot - I played this game from beta through release and up until the release of Shrouded Isles, Trials of Atlantis, and New Frontiers. I was part of a great guild that formed in beta and continued on through release. RvR was what made this game, and I still think it was the best "PvP" implementation in a game to date. It was thrilling, and it gave players the option to just do open field fights or to use the forts as tactical vantage points. I simply have not found an MMOG that has surpassed the fun I had here. It's a shame that so much more PvE grind and such were added, but I understand the need to add more content. I would have been content to simply do RvR forever.

2. Asheron's Call 2 - According to others, there is no logical reason in the world for this, but I really enjoyed this game. I loved the world, the lore, the races and classes, and just generally had fun every time I logged in.

3. EverQuest II - I still play this ~ once per week and it just seems to have grown well since release. Part of the reason this is ranked is because of the nostalgia factor. The world of Norrath became a common environment over the many years I played EQ1 and to see it revisited here and fleshed out further is a lot of fun. Well implemented systems and excellent use of voiceovers also help to add to the immersion of the world, which draws me in and allows me to have a more enjoyable time.

4. City of Heroes - Tried City of Villains, but I suppose they count as the same game. In any case, this ranks because of the f13 groups that used to play this. The game has a lot of fun potential, but became a little too grindy. Nevertheless, a well done MMOG, so much the better with TeamSpeak, schild, and Signe.

5. Star Wars: Galaxies - I can't figure out why I stopped playing this game. It was a lot of fun for me, and another where I had some occasional chances to game alongside other f13 members. I think that the constant and big changes to the game are what drove me away. In MMOGs, it's nice to have a goal, but unless that goal is static for a fair amount of time, it can be frustrating to play. SWG seemed to become a moving target of what to do. Still, I had a fun time, and it deserves some credit.

6. Saga of Ryzom - This had a lot of potential and was another one of those MMOGs that I just plain logged in and enjoyed. It wasn't the easiest to grok at first, but some of the implemented systems (brick system in particular) were interesting and made for a nice change of pace.

7. Lord of the Rings Online - This is one that I love for the IP that it's based upon. I play this on and off every couple months. I liked the music system in AC2 and like this one even better. It is far more involved and is a lot of fun. It may sound ridiculous, but it is a major reason that I still pop on every now and again.

8. Neocron - This game has so much wasted potential. I don't know if it was the size of the development house that limited it, or some foolish decisions, but I had a lot of fun with PvP in this MMOG. It's also the first MMOG where I had encountered an in-game stock market based upon the corporations that you could faction with. Some interesting systems here and a compelling environment for PvP.

9. EverQuest - Nostalgia, really. I spent too many hours of my life playing this, but what an escape it was... Looking back, my god, did we all have the beer goggles on for this one, but, hey I played text-based MUDs for years as well because of the fellow players. The grind and the need to group is what made EQ what it was. It was a forced social, but it worked.

10. Puzzle Pirates  - This was a tough last spot to fill, but honestly, this is another MMOG that I randomly pop onto now and again when I need a good bit of casual fun. The beauty of this one is that you can hardcore game it, or just hang out. The upcoming pirate themed MMOGs have systems that already exist in this game. I like the implementation of the mini-games for ship to ship combat, sword fighting, and trade skills.

Honorable mentions:

• Eve Online - gorgeous graphics and a AAA quality game, I only wish I could devote the time to it.
  • Anarchy Online - Because they tried and it didn't turn out half bad, really. Shame they never finished the Midgard MMOG they had planned.
  • World of Warcraft - A nice, professional, polished game play experience. For an MMOG, they did a phenomenal job, but didn't make my list because sometimes the rails through the world are too transparent. This would have made an excellent console MMOG like FFXI.
  • Final Fantasy XI - Top notch work, but alas, I did not meet the tolerance requirements for group grinding. I so much wanted to play this to the end, but just did not have the patience or time. Great production values on the in-game cutscenes.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 07:29:23 AM by Soukyan »

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
Xuri
Terracotta Army

몇살이세욬ㅋ 몇살이 몇살 몇살이세욬ㅋ!!!!!1!

Reply #108 on: December 17, 2007, 07:42:45 AM

1. Ultima Online - A dream come true when I first started playing. Granted, the dream crashed and burned shortly after logging on for the first time, but still. The only MMORPG I've played so far where I've "lived an alternative life", so to speak. In all the others, I've just... levelled, and swapped out loot for better loot.

2. World of Warcraft - Most polished and "complete" MMORPG I've played to date. Also, the only one I've raided in.

3. Dark Age of Camelot - My first encounter with sieges in MMORPGs, and I absolutely loved it. Many other parts of the game put me off, though. (But Darkness Falls rocked!)

4. SWG - Star Wars in space! Uh. I mean... it's a Star Wars MMORPG!

5. Anarchy Online - Great background story & scenario for pvp conflict.

Honorable mention for being the first multiplayer game I played that wasn't on a single computer or across a null-modem cable:
Seth Able's Legend of the Red Dragon

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #109 on: December 17, 2007, 07:43:35 AM

I like MajorMud/SuperMud.  I don't know why MUDs can 't be listed.  I also don't know why there are rules to this thread.  What's THAT all about?

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #110 on: December 17, 2007, 07:44:56 AM

I like MajorMud/SuperMud.  I don't know why MUDs can 't be listed.  I also don't know why there are rules to this thread.  What's THAT all about?

I'll start a separate one for MUDs in the next week. They are a class of their own and there are a lot, so I could see how this could become unwieldy.

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #111 on: December 17, 2007, 07:58:42 AM

MUD can't be listed because there are/were too many and because I think they are a bit off the scope of this game/research. Just a bit.

Also, I hate rules too so let's just ignore them. You post whatever you like. Then I'll update the chart whatever I like it. Better?  Heart

Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #112 on: December 17, 2007, 08:29:41 AM

1. UO (Only wins out over WoW due to more memories made - other people related, not game related.)
2. WoW (Should really be first as I have enjoyed the actual game itself rather than totally relying on other people, like UO.)
3. FFXI (If Grind and slow travel wasn't my hurdle back in the day, I'd probably still be playing.  No, I'm not going back now.)
4. SB (Potential, potential, potential....the rest sucked, but gave me a few months of "what could have been" and it was glorious.")
5. CoH (Grind and boring repetitive missions was the killier here.  Character customization for the win.)
6. AO (Pretty good, but got into it late so most were at 1xxxx level.  The missions got repetitive fast too.)
7. DDO (Good, but too blah to get me to switch from the game of the day.)
8. LoTRO (Same as DDO, see above.)
9. GW (Fun.  Ok, single player.  Just didn't capture my attention for long.)
10. EQ1 (Played because all my friends switched to it.  Really really didn't like it.)

*Edit:  I listed what I've played (sometimes for only a few weeks.)  Some games didn't make the list (read: SWG.)  I went by my lasting impressions on each and by how much they influenced ME (good or bad.)  The rest just were wastes of time and I barely can remember them.  EQ1 got a mention because even though it sucked, it deserves a mention.  I played it for 3 months mainly because there was nothing else.  I returned to UO after that, the market was just THAT bad.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 08:50:15 AM by Dren »
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #113 on: December 17, 2007, 08:40:42 AM

1) WoW.  Talk about polished.
2) Shadowbane.  Depsite all the bugs.  Fatally flawed concept that made for a good 3 months of fun.
3) Jumpgate.  MMO where player skill matterd?  Another Flawed concept that made for 3 months of fun
4) EQ.  First MMO always ranks high, no matter how awful it was.
5) AC1
6) Planetside.
7) AO.  I'll always remember exploiting to form a guild.
8) DDO.  Was fun for two weeks.

Nothing else I played was worth mentioning.

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
schild
Administrator

Reply #114 on: December 17, 2007, 08:45:10 AM

I can still map out from the Town Square to the Minotaur. (E D W W W SW S S S)  I think that's right.

Oh hoooooo. I could still set up macros 10+ years later. Griffon? Sure. SW, NW, N, NW, N, NW, NE, E, NE, N, N, NW.

Maybe I'll buy MajorMud software for f13 with the extra donations (ho ho ho) (kidding or not).
schild
Administrator

Reply #115 on: December 17, 2007, 08:54:53 AM

Ah hell, it still runs under Worldgroup MBBS. Blehhhhhhhhhh. They should've really marketed it to just straight linux servers to run independently. I still remember being the first on my server when module 1 hit to get the crystal shortsword. I could gank serious ass in MM.
Kamen
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: December 17, 2007, 08:55:27 AM

1) EvE Online
2) ATitD
3) UO
4) AC
5) WoW
6) SWG
7) DAoC
8) WWII Online
9) Guild Wars
10) Puzzle Pirates
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #117 on: December 17, 2007, 09:25:27 AM

Ah hell, it still runs under Worldgroup MBBS. Blehhhhhhhhhh. They should've really marketed it to just straight linux servers to run independently. I still remember being the first on my server when module 1 hit to get the crystal shortsword. I could gank serious ass in MM.

Leveling in MajorMUD manually (Read: without scripts) prepared me for hating EQ years later.

edit:
Another memory just popped in. TA was the first game that I played where I had to set my alarm clock to wake me up an extra hour or two early to kill the cyclops for the bronze key before anyone else could.  This also prepared me for hating EQ years later.

Memory2 that just popped in my head!  Talk about permadeath.  I remember ganking people and destroying characters that took them months to make.  Ooooh....

Memory3!!  There were gold sellers even back then on the BBS I played.  You could buy monthly access keys.  Fucking gold sellers.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 09:29:41 AM by Draegan »
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #118 on: December 17, 2007, 09:57:58 AM

1) EQ2
2) UO
3) EQ
4) CoH
5) Planetside

I have never played WoW.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #119 on: December 17, 2007, 10:02:13 AM

I played a mud called Asylum for a while.  It started as a DiRT mud, I think (variation of an aber mud).  Resets were eventually eliminated and I think players could keep their stuff eventually as well - it was so long ago it's a faint memory.  I recall that I learned the meaning of penultimate from playing that game. 

I played Medievia for a few years.  I believe it started as a diku and evolved into something else.  My favorite thing to do was to trade, via this trading system consisting of tradeposts, each with different commodities.  First I'd get the prices from all the tradeposts (via flying around to them and running a quick script).  Then I'd pick the best paying route, fly to a tradepost, buy a wagon, fill it with whatever commodity and then take it to another tradepost to sell.  Could do it solo or with a group.  Could go through the "die and be looted" portion of the world or stay safe, but perhaps perish in a tornado or by angry mobs. Then it was changed so that it couldn't be done solo anymore, except for the very low paying safe routes.  Ugh.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #120 on: December 17, 2007, 10:10:11 AM

Guild Wars
EQ2
CoX
DAoC
Puzzle Pirates
EQ1
Planetside

"Me am play gods"
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #121 on: December 17, 2007, 10:31:46 AM

I played Medievia for a few years.  I believe it started as a diku and evolved into something else.  My favorite thing to do was to trade, via this trading system consisting of tradeposts, each with different commodities.  First I'd get the prices from all the tradeposts (via flying around to them and running a quick script).  Then I'd pick the best paying route, fly to a tradepost, buy a wagon, fill it with whatever commodity and then take it to another tradepost to sell.  Could do it solo or with a group.  Could go through the "die and be looted" portion of the world or stay safe, but perhaps perish in a tornado or by angry mobs. Then it was changed so that it couldn't be done solo anymore, except for the very low paying safe routes.  Ugh.

Medievia was ugly to look at.  I could light up a dark room with all the florescent magenta cyan and yellow scrolling across my screen.  I developed MUDs in my time and that shit scared me.
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #122 on: December 17, 2007, 11:16:50 AM

Sure, I'll play.

1 - Alan Lenton's Federation, a sort-of MUD available to some proprietary online services before going web/telnet-based in '97. I played this pretty much straight from 1993 to 1997, at varying levels of commitment. It's the only game that ever got me to pay $300/month dial-up bills. It was my first online game and the awesome breadth of experience available at the time, as well as the vibrant social community, I've never really found elsewhere. I think a graphical Fed-alike would be amazingly fun.

2 - Ultima Online. My first graphical game. What can I say? I enjoy baking bread to crush. My favorite character had no skills to speak of - he was an in-game author who recorded the exploits of an Anti-PK guild and stored them in the guild library, which he curated.

3 - EvE Online. Probably the best nontrivial PvP available, as well as one of the most realistic market systems available. Amazing player-driven politics. People read threads about it even if they don't play. However, the grinding of money, dev-involvement drama, and high barriers to entry knock it down a few pegs. Not always the most fun to play, but often fun to be involved in, even if only by proxy.

4 - DartMUD. MUD. The deepest and best PK/political experience I've ever had in an online game. Fantastic and terribly detailed crafting system. There's a reason I still haven't resigned from my semi-inactive immortalship.

5 - Planetside. MMOFPS.  Heart  I never subscribed due to being poor and in college when it was really active, but the trial accounts I made were lots of fun. Slowly being obsoleted by modern Battlefield clones.

6 - City of Heroes. Greatest character creation system to date. Making up crazy new characters with my housemates and running them around was lots of fun. Unfortunately, the grind strikes you pretty hard as you get higher up. I tried CoV briefly and found it just to be a reskin with a slightly different grind path. Oh well. Still an excellent few months.

7 - A Tale in the Desert. I played this for 2-3 months at a time in Tale 1 and Tale 2. Founding a camp with housemates who are also newbies and building up to be on-par with powerful neighbors? Fun. Actually running most of the horrifically grindy quests or grinding to help the world tech up? Not fun. Also, it has an amazingly terrible interface that just screams RSI-waiting-to-happen.

8 - Mankind. A quirky little French sci-fi MMORTS. Like ATITD, it was a lot of fun getting established, learning the ropes and then moving out of the newbie zone to found a space-guild with some friends in the farthest reaches of the universe. It had open PVP, but I never got that far. Once you get towards the highest tech levels, build times are measured in days/weeks, and manually hauling materials around in lots that filled 20+ cargo ships sucked balls. A better UI would improve it, but not save the game.

9 - There is no nine. Fuck WoW.

10 - World of Warcraft. If only for the polish. I played it for about 4-5 months with some coworkers. It's also the reason I can't stomach DIKU-style games any more. I tried raiding a little. The choice between a nightly aneurysm due to PUG raids/battlegrounds or scheduling my life around a game led directly to the cancel-account button.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #123 on: December 17, 2007, 11:28:33 AM

2) Horizons

You're mad.  I tried playing Horizons once, and it was like trying to stuff my dick in a pencil sharpener:  Virtually impossible to do, and even if you succeed you'll end up wishing you hadn't.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #124 on: December 17, 2007, 11:33:38 AM

2) Horizons

You're mad.  I tried playing Horizons once, and it was like trying to stuff my dick in a pencil sharpener:  Virtually impossible to do, and even if you succeed you'll end up wishing you hadn't.

I like that analogy, can I use it?
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #125 on: December 17, 2007, 11:39:12 AM

Are there even 10 MMOG's worth rating? The ones that had potential were more bug-infested than an orangutan's rectum, the ones that weren't too buggy were grindtastic and the one that was neither was really just a polished up, solo-centric gold-plated evolo-turdling.

But, what the hell, I'll give it a try.

1 Shadowbane - Oh the potential - had it worked with even a modicum of stability, it would have been made of niche win. But alas, frothing rage is all that is left of SB, and weeping over the waste of a great character progression system
2 World of Warcraft - How sad is it that #2 is nothing more than an evolved, less buggy iteration of #4?
3 Dark Age of Camelot - A slightly evolved with PVP polishing of #4.
4 Everquest 1 - The mac daddy for me, reduced because of general bugginess and a punitive Vision (TM).
5 City of Heroes - Z-AXIS. Oh and a fucking shameful, unnecessary grind.
6 Ultima Online - Only played it in beta, which is why it's so low. Otherwise, I love the concept!
7 Everquest 2 - A shiny shiny version of #4. How sad.

I can't in good conscience list any others. I could barely make myself list EQ2. I would put Pirates of the Burning Sea but only for the sailing portion, but it isn't out yet. Everything else is a bag of fail.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #126 on: December 17, 2007, 12:29:15 PM

8 - Mankind. A quirky little French sci-fi MMORTS. Like ATITD, it was a lot of fun getting established, learning the ropes and then moving out of the newbie zone to found a space-guild with some friends in the farthest reaches of the universe. It had open PVP, but I never got that far. Once you get towards the highest tech levels, build times are measured in days/weeks, and manually hauling materials around in lots that filled 20+ cargo ships sucked balls. A better UI would improve it, but not save the game.

I still have the original box, and I honestly thought it never made it to America. I remember loving it but chickening out when I read that your fleet and bases could be attacked and wiped out while you were offline. "Don't worry" mused the website "if you so desire we can send you a text message on your mobile whenever your empire (which took you months to build) is about to be annihilated!".

I checked, by the way. The game is still going.

Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #127 on: December 17, 2007, 12:32:12 PM

I still have the original box, and I honestly thought it never made it to America. I remember loving it but chickening out when I read that your fleet and bases could be attacked and wiped out while you were offline. "Don't worry" mused the website "if you so desire we can send you a text message on your mobile whenever your empire (which took you months to build) is about to be annihilated!".

I checked, by the way. The game is still going.

I never had a box. It was all digital-download when I played, with a relatively extensive free trial. I subbed for maybe a month before getting bored of the build times. It was really all the manual required hauling that sucked - if I left my empire alone for a few hours, everything ground to a halt as warehouses filled up at my extractors and emptied at my manufactories.
Ningauble
Terracotta Army

Reply #128 on: December 18, 2007, 11:15:59 PM

1 - Everquest1. I still remember the awe I felt roaming around the Feerrott, seeing a camp of lizardmen dart away towards the river, then arc back to attack me all at once.  Its hard to appreciate now in light of the improvements to graphics in the last 10 years, but the immersion of the 3d world and the 3d sound effects were jaw-dropping for me.  I am not sure some of the people who weren't there at release appreciate the fact that EQ was one of the first 3d-accelerated RPG games, online or not.  For the time the graphics were quite good, and the world design was varied and very cool.  Had a great time levelling up to 50 with a close-knit bunch of friends and experiencing the first year or so of raids which were primarily open.  Then guilds started to do closed raids, my friends created a guild, invited a ton of people we hardly knew and everything went spiralling down fast.  I have to say that first year, for whatever reason, was the most fun I have had in any game, before or since.

2- DaoC.  I greatly enjoy pvp, but the mindless ganking in UO reminded me more of a juvenile gang-war/mugger fantasy than anything approximating a competition of any kind.  DaoC, with its structured pvp was ideal for my tastes. Even with the population balance issues, the blander-than-cardboard pve, and the class balance issues, I have played daoc for 6 years and still log on every now and then to solo on my "battle bard".  The sense of realm-wide community (at least for the first 3-4 years) brought back the same sort of experiences I enjoyed in the open raids of early EQ.

3 - UO.  My first MMO, and one which I played for 2 years until EQ1 came out.  The open-endedness of the system really made for a cool game dynamic.  I spent the first 6 months as a "monk" with 100 wrestling skill, taking down ettins with my fists... until they nerfed wrestling and decided it was only to be useful as the defensive skill for spell casters with spellbooks in their hands.  I subsequently retired from "adventuring", levelled up my healing skill, and wandered the roads as a "mendicant healer" aiding travellers.  Since I had nothing of value, the pk's learned to leave me be, and because of the crappy networking code, because I lived in one of the first cable modem markets, I could literally run circles around most of the pk's.

4- WoW.  Definitely polished, and after BC, they implemented alot of ways to advance your character, even if, like myself, you don't like large guilds, or having to plan your life around a raid schedule.  The BG pvp was relatively balanced, but the BG's in particular are wearing thin on me despite the newer rewards.  It just lacks the variety that kept drawing me back to DaoC RvR.  The Arena is a cool concept, but it is horribly imbalanced in terms of class combinations, and neither myself nor my 2v2 teammate plan on rerolling just so that we can win more than 50 percent of our matches.  Making only pre-made teams in Arena brings me back to the having to schedule life around other player's play times, which for me is very difficult to do.  PvE levelling up shines, and even the grindy rep gains aren't a bad way to implement alternative advancement for those who won't/can't raid.  Still, I feel like I am probably missing out on a sizeable portion of the game as a non-raider.

5 - SWG(Pre-CU).  Much like UO, this afforded the opportunity to pretty much invent whatever sort of character you wanted.  The crafting system was spectacular, if a little buggy (like everything else).  I did mainly crafting as a droid engineer, with as much pve as I could manage while still being a master DE.  I primarily played SWG as a distraction/vacation from other games, and would log on and just explore and make and sell droids to order.  The space expansion was fun but I never capped out the space skills before NGE hit, and I could no longer do any pve at all if I wanted to remain a crafter, and because I was a hybrid character, my "level" with the NGE was terrible.  I didn't feel like grinding it all out all over again, so soon as NGE went live I packed my bags and headed for better climes, with a station access cancel to my ancient EQ1 account.

6 - Tabula Rasa.  Been playing it a bit since late beta.  I actually enjoy it a bit, but more as a distraction from other games when I am frustrated.  Visuals are nice, although like WoW, it gets a bit tricky when you are accustomed to soloing everything and they drop a bunch of instance quests on you that you can't get done without a bunch of help, which can be very hard to find.  Not a bad game, not sure it is drawing me in like the top 4 on my list though.

7 - LotRO.  Beautiful landscapes, so-so character models and animation.  Slightly bland game play, a little too close to WoW to differentiate it well, in my opinion.  Most enjoyable bit was the in-game music importation, I spent alot of time munging MIDI files into ABC's to play music from competing MMO games for laughs (I have an odd sense of humor and for some reason this struck me as hilarious to hang around Bree playing the EQ theme music or 'Stones').

8 - EQ2.  Nice graphics, cool reimagining of the original world.  Was a bit sluggish and I couldn't bear to turn the graphic settings down because they got ugly pretty fast once the detail bars were slid left.  I actually was looking more toward playing this than WoW, but my old EQ/DaoC buddies went to WoW, so I followed, and just messed around a little in EQ2 on station pass account.  Was a casualty to SWG NGE, when I decided paying SoE any more money was a bad idea.

9- Anarchy Online.  Didn't play this one long, I missed out on the horrible launch, but there was still some bugginess a month or two in, when I played.  Graphics were good for the time, but didn't really draw me in.

10 - Asheron's Call.  Tried this out for a month or so, by the time I tried it the graphics were quite dated and the PC models looked like demented marionettes to me.  Open system led to Tank-Mage-itis like UO, at the time anyhow.

Not listed - Lineage 2, Horizons, AC2 Only played any of them a couple of times, Horizons when it was free trial to say hi to some friends who had decided to take refuge there after quitting daoc and before WoW came out.

Hrrm, didn't realize I wrote a term paper here... Edited some of the extraneous crap from the end of my post
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 11:33:26 PM by Ningauble »
Cryo
Developers

NCsoft Europe

Reply #129 on: December 19, 2007, 06:35:57 AM

#1 - Lineage 2 (probably going to be mocked for this one, but the early days of it were just pure fun - never experienced that again. I'm still playing it.)
#2 - A Tale in the Desert (best crafting game ever and awesome community)
#3 - Ultima Online (early days)
#4 - City of Heroes
#5 - EvE
#6 - DAoC
#7 - LotRO
#8 - Guild Wars
#9 - Saga of Ryzom
#10 - WoW
Mantees
Terracotta Army

Reply #130 on: December 19, 2007, 08:20:58 AM

1) Ultima Online
2) EVE Online
3) EverQuest 2
4) EverQuest
5) WWII Online
6) World of Warcraft
7) Star Wars galaxies
8) City of Heroes
9) A Tale in the desert
10) Lord of the Rings Online
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #131 on: December 19, 2007, 08:25:48 AM

I like that analogy, can I use it?

All of my witty remarks are free for use by the public.  So are all of my stupid ones.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #132 on: December 19, 2007, 09:37:47 AM

1. UO
2. EQ2
3. PS
4. CoH/V
5. WoW
6. EQ
7. AO
8. SWG

Left AC and Eve off the list because I didn't play them long enough to count. I guess I could round out the list with AC at 9 and Eve at 10, but I wouldn't put anyone below SWG. Besides, I only give a shit about the first four.
justdave
Terracotta Army

Reply #133 on: December 19, 2007, 09:51:02 AM

De-lurk:

1) City of Villains
2) World of Warcraft
3) Saga of Ryzom
4) Neocron
5) EVE
6) Earth and Beyond
7) Anarchy Online
8) DAoC
9) Motor City Online
10) Everquest

Edit: Adjusted it to ten so as not to skew the results...though, out of 73 votes for WoW, 66 were in the top 5 already,  Ohhhhh, I see.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 04:08:41 PM by justdave »

"They started to resist with a crust that was welded with human brain and willpower."
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #134 on: December 19, 2007, 12:18:59 PM

My favorite character had no skills to speak of - he was an in-game author who recorded the exploits of an Anti-PK guild and stored them in the guild library, which he curated.
Fuck, I miss books.

I played a LOT of UO, good timing in my life. One of my favorite characters was the mistress of another of my characters (Sky was their manservant). He was a paladin, she was a thief, but secretly, which was difficult because you used to go red from stealing. Anyway, at one point I was living on Moonglow and I had made a map of the entire island and it had all the houses and as many homeowners/keyholders as I could match them with. I'd spend most of my gametime at that time scouting out opportunities, and filch a key at the bank (which you could often get away with).

I was no bank thief, though! Not in the vapid snatch-n-run or die-n-your-buddy-loots or any other stupid thing that ruined thief gameplay. I would calmly bank the offenders key, note who had it and consult my map. I'd then go scout out the house, and when things were quiet I'd snatch a couple nice items (katanas of vanq were my theft of choice, followed by any server-up rares). Then I'd leave a book I'd written on how I scouted them out, explaining the entire heist. I'd put in tips on protecting themselves against cheesy thieves. Then I'd write that I was leaving them the only copy of the house key. I'd leave the book in a prominent spot (on a table if they were civilized people and decorated), with the key laying on it.

This is back before you could re-key houses. Basically, if someone got your house key, you built a new house or it would get looted continually. Playing a classy thief was so rewarding.

My very most favorite target was the blue frontpeople for pk guilds. I remember getting a couple guild keyrings, I wasn't quite so nice to those guys. In one instance, I gave a pk guild keyring to an anti-pk guild. That was hilarious.

UO was such a great game.
Sanya
Terracotta Army

Reply #135 on: December 19, 2007, 01:05:40 PM

1. LOTRO
2. DAOC
3. EQ
4. COH
5. Toontown

(Obviously I've tried others. Just didn't like them enough to put them on the list.)
Blackluck
Terracotta Army

Reply #136 on: December 19, 2007, 01:26:18 PM

1) EQ2
2) UO  (still waiting after all these years for another like it :/  )
3) ATitD
4) WoW (barely, but have to admit it was fun for a couple months)
5) Horizons

edit: Fine, a fifth added.  Ohhhhh, I see.
Many others of course, most forgettable, some hated.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 01:30:13 PM by Blackluck »
schild
Administrator

Reply #137 on: December 19, 2007, 01:27:21 PM

Aperture Laboratories would like to remind you that no posts with less than 5 games will be considered because it makes you look like a member of noobsville.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #138 on: December 19, 2007, 01:33:49 PM

But couldn't a person legitimately think only 4 MMOs are worth even playing?  In fact, that sounds like something you would say but with a 0 instead of a 4.

"Me am play gods"
schild
Administrator

Reply #139 on: December 19, 2007, 01:34:49 PM

Hey, Falconeer made the rule, I'm just playing the part of GladOS. Take it up with him.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Your Top 10 MMOs  
Jump to: