Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:39:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Your Top 10 MMOs 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Your Top 10 MMOs  (Read 245583 times)
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #35 on: December 14, 2007, 05:37:57 PM

1 CoH/CoV
2 UO (early)
3 WoW
4 LotRo
5 SWG
6 DaoC
8 NWN
9 Neocron
10 AO

I couldn't come up with another, so no one gets the coveted #7 spot!
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: December 14, 2007, 05:43:47 PM

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
Baldrake
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: December 14, 2007, 05:57:50 PM

1  SWG
2  WoW
3  UO
4  Eve
5  DAoC
6  Shadowbane
7  Neocron
8  CoH
9  DDO
damijin
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: December 14, 2007, 06:47:00 PM

1. Lineage 2
2. WWIIOL
3. Everquest
4. Planetside
5. SWG
6. DAoC
7. Eve
8. Puzzle Pirates
9. WoW
10. CoH

L2 and WWIIOL as my top two might be a sign of a vitamin deficiency in my diet. But no fantasy game did politics like L2 (Eve did them better but I couldn't adjust to the space ship world), and no game did suspense like WWIIOL. Hiding in some bush for 30 minutes while French feet scurry all around you, and you're hoping to god they don't see you because you seriously just spent an hour running through an open field full of tank tracers to get in this position... then you stand up, mow down 3 and head for the nearest building. Damn that game was intense. I wish the engine sucked less balls though.

I still have a desire to resub every time History channel does a Band of Brothers marathon.
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: December 14, 2007, 07:04:41 PM

1.   SWG (PreCU only, up to patch 12.1 only) - Yes, it had it's problems, but it's still the best MMORPG I've played yet.
2.   WoW - No real surprise here. 
3.   EvE - Despite not playing it that much, I can pass judgement that it is one of the most well done games I've ever played, and I can see the appeal.
4.   LOTRO - Good game.  Predictable, but probably some of the most stunning graphics I've ever seen.
5.   UO - Fun game.  Lots of ways to piss people off.
6.   City of Heroes/Villians - Great, mindless MMO. 
7.   Anarchy Online - Rough start, but ended up being a fantastic MMO.  If they would just update the graphics and clean it up a bit, I'd play again in a heartbeat.
8.   Tabula Rasa - It's not elves!
9.   EQ2 - Would feel bad if the direct descendent of the original wasn't on the list
10. SWGEmu :P
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: December 14, 2007, 07:58:54 PM

1 WoW
2 DAoC
3 CoH/CoV
4 Toontown
5 ATiTD
6 Puzzle Pirates
7 EQ2
8 LotR
9 SWG

I don't have 10.
Ratadm
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: December 14, 2007, 10:36:59 PM

1. Eve
2. DAOC
3. WOW
4. Shadowbane
5. AC
6. AO
7. EQ
Raph
Developers

Title delayed while we "find the fun."

Reply #42 on: December 14, 2007, 10:50:40 PM

How totally fascinating. I am tempted to post this thread on my blog just to get more voters.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #43 on: December 14, 2007, 11:30:03 PM

1) Shadowbane
2) Puzzle Pirates

Uhh..
schild
Administrator

Reply #44 on: December 14, 2007, 11:49:53 PM

How totally fascinating. I am tempted to post this thread on my blog just to get more voters.

I wouldn't stop you.
Sangheili
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: December 15, 2007, 12:11:52 AM

1) WoW
2) PoTBS (I know.. its not out)
3) Guild Wars
4) Tabula Rasa
5) LoTRO

Thats all ive really played. Sad.. I know. I honestly wouldnt even consider 4 and 5 in the list really either.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: December 15, 2007, 12:21:12 AM

Fine.

1. WoW. For getting it right. Too bad about the endgame.
2. UO. For getting us started.
3. DAOC. For the RvR.
4. Eve Online. Best worldbuilding game ever.

Past my top 4, we're talking games that I played a lot, but don't consider "great".

5. SWG pre-CU/NGE
6. Anarchy Online.
7. Planetside.
8. Guild Wars.
9. SWG post-CU/NGE

99. Getting kicked in the nuts by Mr. T.
100. Everquest.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: December 15, 2007, 12:44:23 AM

WoW
COV
PSU
EQ
DAoC
AC1
M59

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
Falwell
Terracotta Army

Ghetto Gear Solid: Raiden

Reply #48 on: December 15, 2007, 12:50:49 AM

1) WoW
2) AO (Yes, despite the launch debacle.)
3) UO
4) EQ1
5) AC1
6) Meridian 59 (Does that count?)

Everything else I consider.... well .... everything else.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #49 on: December 15, 2007, 02:27:36 AM

1)  UO
2)  WoW

And that's it.  Fuck the rest.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
geldonyetich2
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: December 15, 2007, 02:33:47 AM

You're not just considering that because UO is doing well, are you? ;)

I probably should have mentioned this earlier, but if you put WoW on your list you need to donate $5 to the server for sheeple tax.

Kidding.  I'm just bitter it beat CoX.  :P
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #51 on: December 15, 2007, 03:46:30 AM

Kidding.  I'm just bitter it beat CoX.  :P

I talk about comics more than pretty much everyone else here, and even I couldn't really get into CoX.  In fact, I wish I'd thought of it during that thread about the most disappointing games ever, because for however much the concept of a comic book MMO excited me, and how much they got character creation and combat right, they pretty much shit the bed in every other aspect of the game.
Hakeldaima
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: December 15, 2007, 04:37:20 AM

Edit - as per new instructions I've moved GW to #5.

I haven't played enough MMO's to fill a Top Ten list.

1) Eve - For the politics (however vicariously I participate in them), the economy and the pvp.
2) WoW - For polish, being relatively bug-free and enjoyable and for being my first MMO. Shame about the endgame though. Interesting that I have no trouble flying in EVE fleets larger than pre-BC raids, but never cottoned on to WOW raiding. The standard against which future DIKU's should be measured.
3) COV - Lovely character generation, but I quit before reaching endgame as it was way too grindy.
4) LoTRO - Fabulous graphics and a beautiful world. Liked the storyline. Was missing something though, possibly "oomph".
5) GW - Tried it for a while, but the heavily isntanced world made for a rather disappointing experience. Also, as twitchy it makes me sound, not being able to jump was a turn off.

Games I haven't played enough to really pass judgement on:

AO - Tried it for a short while, but I guess I'm too superficial to be able to overlook the aging graphics.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 04:02:57 PM by Hakeldaima »
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: December 15, 2007, 04:41:33 AM

These lists are irony, defined. You have to get to #8 before you get out of the type of games we most complain about (iterative DIKU).

The marketing folks were right after all.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #54 on: December 15, 2007, 05:40:40 AM

In order:

World of Warcraft
EverQuest

Guild Wars

Planetside
Dark Age of Camelot

EQ2
SWG

The top two I played for years, each.

GW I jump onto now and then, though rarely.

PS and DAOC I didn't last for the included month.

EQ2 and SWG I didn't last for the trial 7 days.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #55 on: December 15, 2007, 06:26:11 AM

These lists are irony, defined. You have to get to #8 before you get out of the type of games we most complain about (iterative DIKU).

The marketing folks were right after all.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

The games MOST here complain about, you mean.  I and a few others have expressed time after time that, yes, in fact we enjoy DIKU. Onoes.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #56 on: December 15, 2007, 06:32:10 AM

I'm sure my little vote for Shadowbane and Puzzle Pirates will rectify that when Falc updates his post.

Although I'm sure that Shadowbane would qualify as a diku as well... Just not the important parts.

[edit] Ah damn, he did update. Puzzle Pirates is that far down? You people suck.

[edit] Oh wait, that's only up until Evil Elvis' post.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 06:36:39 AM by Stray »
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: December 15, 2007, 07:24:04 AM

1) UO
2) SWG
3) Eve
4) EQ2
5) Vanguard
6) EQ
7) CoH
8) LotRO

That's it!

SWG gets second place for the period when it was a Koster/sandboxy game. The Vanguard vote is not a joke if anyone wonders - I enjoyed it.

Edit - added LotRO at 8th place.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 07:26:18 AM by palmer_eldritch »
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: December 15, 2007, 08:05:12 AM

I agree that UO and SWG should have two different places in the list, at least. No other games have really changed as much as they two over their lives (imho):

UO pre-Trammel
UO
SWG pre-NGE
SWG

The games MOST here complain about, you mean.  I and a few others have expressed time after time that, yes, in fact we enjoy DIKU. Onoes.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Heh, good point smiley I do wonder though... are the folks playing DIKU but bitching about them truly waiting for that 3D pre-trammel UO in the sky? Or has it just become tradition to think they want it?
qedetc
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: December 15, 2007, 08:08:43 AM

Lineage 2
WWII Online
Eve Online
EverQuest
Puzzle Pirates
Planetside
DAoC
Guild Wars
SWG
CoH

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: December 15, 2007, 08:11:58 AM

1. EQ2
2. CoH
3. WoW
4. SWG (pre nge)

Coming up with 10 is very hard. Should've asked for top 3 imo...

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Vedi
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: December 15, 2007, 08:17:12 AM

1. SWG
2. Eve
3. AO
4. WoW
5. EQ2

Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: December 15, 2007, 08:26:59 AM

Might be worth mentioning when you played your first MMORPG. I can't rate UO, because I started playing about six months after SWG's release, so my looks at UO were sort of backwords "how it was" looks. I'd suspect that I'd rate it pretty high, if I'd played it in it's heyday (post-Trammel), but I'm really just rating it on it's ideas and how I think it fit into things in hindsight.

I'd probably rate (of those I've played more than a few hours of):

1) SWG (pre-CU) -- I wanted a sandbox, I had an awesome house, and I wasn't a min-maxer. I hadn't yet run out of things to do when they released the CU. I was still playing with templates.
2) WoW -- polished, gorgeous (I love the art style) and clean. Reminds me of Disney, actually -- Blizzard is an expert in removing all the hassle and just delivering the fun.
3) EVE Online -- I'm sorry, it was too daring, too well done, and too gorgeous not to rate highly. I only play it intermittently, but I love it when I do.
4) CoX -- Hands down the slickest combat I've come across. I absolutely love it. I just can't stand the part after about level 25ish.
5) LoTRO -- caught the feel of the world, loved the storylines, but the combat just never snagged me. Plus, to be fair, it kept crippling my wife's videocard (heat issues) and we just ended up putting it aside.
Sparky
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: December 15, 2007, 08:43:49 AM

Hmm it's hard coming up with 5 MMOs I've got nice things to say about, not going to try 10:

1. EVE : for all it's numerous faults no game (off or online) has held my interest this long.  Dramabombs, PVP with consequences, backroom deals, drama, intrigue, epic player created content.  It's great
2. WoW : well polished and addictive at least until you hit cap
3. UO : my first MMO, set "worldy" expectations which few games have catered to.  Probably would've been happier if I started with EQ
4. DAOC : my first diku so the grind wasn't so obvious or onerous.  Enjoyable PVP
5. CoH : very fun until the level curve disappears into the stratosphere.  Nice community too, everyone seemed to be having fun
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #64 on: December 15, 2007, 09:53:34 AM

Just updated to the last post (Sparky's).

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #65 on: December 15, 2007, 09:59:58 AM

1) UO (Pre-Tram of course)
2) WoW
3) Eve
4) Planetside
5) Shadowbane
6) Neocron
7) Subspace
8) AO
9) LOTRO
10) SWG
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 10:06:44 AM by Slayerik »

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Hellinar
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: December 15, 2007, 12:31:52 PM

1) ATiTD
2) EQ1
3) WoW
4) AC1
5) LotRO
6) SWG (original)
7) EVE
8) EQ2
9) AO

Based on how much I enjoyed them at their peak. Hence EQ1 rates above WoW because it was my first, and everything was new and shiny.
damijin
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: December 15, 2007, 02:58:23 PM

ATitD! Should have added that to my list... oh well.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 03:00:00 PM by damijin »
lariac
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: December 15, 2007, 03:02:11 PM

My list...

1. WoW - (4 lvl 70's, 6 lvl 60's. a character for each class and race) So many things done right. Like many have mentioned before, polish, UI, and quest structure were completely different from what was out there before.
2. EvE - (played one of my buddies characters for a bit) The game itself is meh, but the finiancial and political meta-game can't be matched. Really amazing and just view the War thread in the Eve forums for a taste of what I am talking about.
3. DAOC - (3 lvl 50's) PVE was ho-hum, but the Realm vs. Realm action initiated some really interesting scenerios like people conspiring with other realms or performing sabatoge and enabling a real (gain terrority; keep terrority mentality). Never seen such unity for a particular faction (or in this case a realm) in a player base for a common cause since.
4. EQ - (1 lvl 50) Father of the modern MMO. So many phrases and experiences that have entered the pop culture vocab. Grinds, uberguilds, and a new game type created.
5. SWG - (master carbineer/architect/pistoleer and squad leader) GCW was a bust and the whole "How to become a Jedi Holocron" issue was really lame, but the massive expanse of explorable area and the crafting system (love the offline extractors) as well as leveling gameplay that wasn't dependant on killing foozles, was pretty cool. Bugs abounded though and this was before NGE.
6. Lineage 2 - (lvl 48 Gladiator and lvl 49 prophet). Grind was insane. But if a particular guild owned a zone, and you were not friendly with them and you were there without friends, get ready for a whole world of hurt. Graphics were way ahead of anything else out there at the time and you have to admit that the female night elve characters were easy on the eyes even though I never rolled one. Crafting sucked ass though in this game.
7. UO - (can't remember what I played; to long ago) Played from beta and the first 2/3 months of release until Diablo came out. Walk outside town and it was really a no-mans land. Many a time I was running for my life in-game due to the lawlessness of the wilderness. Never really got in the crafting, but I did earn alot of gold rolling a female toon and cybering with sexually frustrated individuals while role-playing a prostitute. Good times even though my wife thought I was fucking crazy when I told what I was doing. I just laughed it off.
8. LOTR - (lvl 50 bard) Even though instancing had been in use before (DDO being an example), I thought that LOTR really used instances to keep true to the source material and dare I say, actually enhanced the original vision of Tolkiens Middle earth. I got to cruise around Rivendell, Weathertop, Angmar and go to Hobbiton and Bag End.

As for 9 and 10, I would leave that for the games I haven't played but heard good things about. COV/COH and AC1.

`A`ohe lokomaika`i i nele i ke pāna`i
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: December 15, 2007, 03:09:25 PM

1)  EQ   (nostalgia vote)
2)  DAOC   (RvR)
3)  WoW   (soulless, but still fun for a while)
4)  Eve     (didn't play it much, but was always impressed with the scope)
5)  EQ2    (Good dev team, always has been a bit akward though.)
6)  Planetside  (played it a bit on release and it didn't suck too bad.)
7)  Guild Wars (Some brief fun PvP moments...horrid PvE, no world kills it)

That concludes the list of MMOs I have anything good to say about.  I never played UO, SWG, LOTRO, AC.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Your Top 10 MMOs  
Jump to: