Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 08, 2024, 03:36:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Official Suggestion Thread: Redux 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Official Suggestion Thread: Redux  (Read 12565 times)
schild
Administrator

on: March 24, 2004, 09:41:52 AM

Leave the stupid at the door this time.

As you can see we merged wt.o and f13.net into a page with many less categories, much simpler navigation, and less confusion. The floor is now open to suggestions.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #1 on: March 24, 2004, 09:47:16 AM

Is there any way to automatically make signitures a smaller font like they used to be on WT.o because now they seem to blend too easily with posts.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: March 24, 2004, 09:48:28 AM

Quote from: Paelos
Is there any way to automatically make signitures a smaller font like they used to be on WT.o because now they seem to blend too easily with posts.

Use the BBCode for font size, I think the smallest is somewhere from 4-7? That's just a shot in the dark. But it should work.
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: March 24, 2004, 09:58:07 AM

obvious scrollbar and login field text color bitch, because browser compatibility pwns sites

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Anonymous

Email
Reply #4 on: March 24, 2004, 09:58:22 AM

Is it possible to not make the scrollbars black?  I mean, it's a cool demonstration of... CSS?  or whatever, but it's truly annoying.

The login boxes display text as a light gray, making it nearly impossible to see what you've typed.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #5 on: March 24, 2004, 10:01:12 AM

Put me down as wanting a big link to the front page at the top, which I can't imagine is that hard or a bad idea since you want us to read it.

taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: March 24, 2004, 10:03:24 AM

Put me down as wanting a big link to the front page at the top, which I can't imagine is that hard or a bad idea since you want us to read it.

recommend the highly over stylized banner appearing to read FB.net be replaced and should point to front page

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #7 on: March 24, 2004, 10:14:33 AM

Quote from: Soulflame
Is it possible to not make the scrollbars black?  I mean, it's a cool demonstration of... CSS?  or whatever, but it's truly annoying.

The login boxes display text as a light gray, making it nearly impossible to see what you've typed.

I believe in the last thread it was determined that if you couldn't login due to the issue, you didn't deserve to post here.  Unless management has changed its tune.

I'd agree on the changing login field text color and scrollbar color, tho.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Joe
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: March 24, 2004, 10:21:00 AM

I'm working on both as we speak.
Because I didn't have better things to do today.

That's not sarcasm :(

Edit: Both issues have been fixed. Precasting is still working as intended.
UD_Delt
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: March 24, 2004, 10:42:27 AM

I know the feeling of having nothing to do...

I'm sitting at work twiddling my thumbs because our EAI (Enterprise Application Intergration) server is causing IIS Web Publishing to shut down on my dev server whenever I try to log into my site through IE. I'm waiting on the server guys now to check through IUser accounts and what not to see if permissions got hosed up somehow. Of course the guy that wrote the IProtect (login) component is out of the office today so who knows how long I'll end up sitting here with nothing to do.

I hate working for a big company sometimes because I don't even have rights to get onto these servers myself to poke around and try and figure out what the problem is...
Anonymous

Email
Reply #10 on: March 24, 2004, 10:47:21 AM

Quote from: CmdrSlack
Quote from: Soulflame

I believe in the last thread it was determined that if you couldn't login due to the issue, you didn't deserve to post here.  Unless management has changed its tune.

I'd agree on the changing login field text color and scrollbar color, tho.

I'm slowly teaching Schild how to run a site.  It's an uphill battle so far!
Rodent
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: March 24, 2004, 10:53:04 AM

I love film noir but I expect movies today to be in color. Or atleast have alittle girl in a red dress amongst the black and white.

Really, some colors would be nice.

Wiiiiii!
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #12 on: March 24, 2004, 11:23:39 AM

I'll second the link up top, instead of having the wierd fib.net logo, could we get links to the front pages.

Also, on the waterthread.f13.net page. Could we maybe get it to open in the SAME browser than open a new one when we click on Forums? that way I can link to the front page to check for updates easer, and not have to close the first window when I go to the forums quickly if there is no update.

Run on sentance any one?
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #13 on: March 24, 2004, 12:48:51 PM

What Morph said about opening a new window for the forums. We don't need that.

Arcadian Del Sol
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: March 24, 2004, 12:55:28 PM

I've recently been asked to see if I can find someone known as "the Old Arcadian Del Sol" and see if he is available to comment. I have the following post-it note to deliver:

Its all about the content. Everything else is window-dressing.
Peace out,
Arc

unbannable
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #15 on: March 24, 2004, 01:02:18 PM

Quote from: HaemishM
What Morph said about opening a new window for the forums. We don't need that.

Is that agreement?

Should we have it open a new window or not, right now it does.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #16 on: March 24, 2004, 01:05:54 PM

Sorry, clarity is not my strong suit. The link to the forums should NOT open a new window.

Joe
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: March 24, 2004, 01:46:31 PM

Quote from: Morphiend
I'll second the link up top, instead of having the wierd fib.net logo, could we get links to the front pages.

Also, on the waterthread.f13.net page. Could we maybe get it to open in the SAME browser than open a new one when we click on Forums? that way I can link to the front page to check for updates easer, and not have to close the first window when I go to the forums quickly if there is no update.

Run on sentance any one?

Fixed. The f13 image now links to the main page, whose forum link now opens in the same window. To hit the forum index, you can now click the text "f13" above the right-side menu.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #18 on: March 24, 2004, 02:39:14 PM

Quote from: Joe

Run on sentance any one?

Fixed. The f13 image now links to the main page, whose forum link now opens in the same window. To hit the forum index, you can now click the text "f13" above the right-side menu.

I think you broke it Joe. I cant click on "Forums" on the f13 main page at all now.
Joe
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: March 24, 2004, 04:55:36 PM

What browser are you using? In both IE and Firefox I've been able to click over to the forums. All I removed was a target="_blank"
Arcadian Del Sol
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: March 25, 2004, 05:18:36 AM

target = "_parent"

unbannable
Dark Vengeance
Delinquents

Reply #21 on: March 25, 2004, 06:23:27 AM

Can we get more front-page stories formatted like Haemish's?? In other words, with a short intro blurb and a "read more" link??

Just a pet peeve, but it would allow more stories to remain on the front page, and verbose updaters wouldn't be using disproportionate amounts of screen space.

Also, are the DVD and movie updates going to stay in the vein of "oh this sucks" and "this is a so-and-so film, and nobody cares about her, because she's a hack"?? Could we instead see actual critique of things like cinematography, score, plot, acting, etc??? I just figure if you're going to do it, do it right....don't just take a list of upcoming releases and say "sucks, sucks, sucks, OMG GREATEST EVAR, sucks, sucks, sucks", because it fails to provide any actual insight to us movie buffs.

Bring the noise.
Cheers...............
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #22 on: March 25, 2004, 11:55:29 AM

I don't know if I'm the only one, but i'm having issues with the button next to the thread that is supposed to take you to the most recent post you haven't read. Every time I read a post and the replies, that button seems to take me to a fixed point that doesn't change until some time later.

For example, I'll read a thread that's five posts long, come back hit the skip to recent button, and for some reason it still sends me to the top of the thread and doesn't skip down. Later, sometimes an hour or a day, i'll try it again, and I'm at another point in the thread, sometimes far below the place I last was. Also, I don't close the browser and reopen it, if that plays any part, but it seemed to work better on the old WT.o

WayAbvPar

Reply #23 on: March 25, 2004, 12:15:41 PM

I don't know if I'm the only one, but i'm having issues with the button next to the thread that is supposed to take you to the most recent post you haven't read. Every time I read a post and the replies, that button seems to take me to a fixed point that doesn't change until some time later.

For example, I'll read a thread that's five posts long, come back hit the skip to recent button, and for some reason it still sends me to the top of the thread and doesn't skip down. Later, sometimes an hour or a day, i'll try it again, and I'm at another point in the thread, sometimes far below the place I last was. Also, I don't close the browser and reopen it, if that plays any part, but it seemed to work better on the old WT.o

I have had the same problem...it is intermittent, so  haven't pinpointed what causes it.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #24 on: March 25, 2004, 01:04:22 PM

One thing that bugs me - having to relogin every day.  If I hit the log me in everytime option, it works for about 12 hours and then I have to re-enter it.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #25 on: March 28, 2004, 08:21:01 PM

Quote from: Dark Vengeance
Also, are the DVD and movie updates going to stay in the vein of "oh this sucks" and "this is a so-and-so film, and nobody cares about her, because she's a hack"?? Could we instead see actual critique of things like cinematography, score, plot, acting, etc??? I just figure if you're going to do it, do it right....don't just take a list of upcoming releases and say "sucks, sucks, sucks, OMG GREATEST EVAR, sucks, sucks, sucks", because it fails to provide any actual insight to us movie buffs.

I actually had this discussion with a couple other staff members a few weeks ago and this is what came out of it.

Frankly, I could easily go on and give a critique on the cinematography, score, plot and acting. Being a film buff I care about these things. But when it comes down to it - especially these days - does it really fucking matter. It's the 'whole shebang' that people should care about - I could tell you that the cinematography in Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003) is absolutely fantabulous. Unfortunately unless you are a total film snob or somehow related to someone like Tak Fujimoto (the DP on Silence of the Lambs I believe) you don't want to spend 2 hours of your life on that movie. (This probably being the reason I haven't been able to write a review for this fucker, it was just that awful).

I write papers that are quite long on a near montly basis, hell I have a 25 page paper going on 50 about the Ring that's just a critique of the finer aspects, differences, and what we in America view as horror vs. the people in Japan. But frankly I don't want to crank one of those out every week.

If you go in and read almost anyone's reviews at ALMOST any site, the summarization of it would amount to 'this sucks' or 'this is [quite, very, etc] good' and that's just the way it is.

I don't mean to slight you, but I don't think that the filmmaking part of the film should be part of the reviews. What should be however is the overall impression the film gives. If you want to talk about the cinematography, lighting, score, makeup, or whatever other 'snobbish' aspect of a film on the boards, by all means, bring it up in discussion, I'm sure I and a few others here would love to talk about them. But in a 1-2 page review, it just isn't likely.

There's just too much to say beyond generalizations that people would not be able to review a movie a week, and with how often movies come out (every tuesday) everyone would burn out, content would run dry, and we'd all start hating movies. And be honest with yourself, after Joe's review of 21 grams or Sarah's review of Le Divorce are you really in a rush to see either movie? If you've seen them do you agree? If your answers and No (for the first one) and Yes (for the second one) then the reviews are doing their job. Otherwise, the boards are here for you to discuss why and why not.
Hanzii
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: March 29, 2004, 12:09:37 AM

Well, there's only two kinds of reviews that matter.
1). Those that provides insight into what's being reviwed and argues rationally for why it sucks/don't suck.
2). And those written by people whose opinions matter to you (making arguments uneccessary).
2b) You might argue, that there's a subgroup where the arguments and conclusions don't matter because they're wellwritten and just worth the read (usually funny).

Your reviewers provide neither.
If we knew the reviwers beforehand and respected their opinions, they wouldn't have to argue their case and go into script, cinematography etc. etc. - unfortunately that's not the case.
If the reviewers had proven their knowledge and insight into the media being reviewed, by prior wellargued reviews, we might accept the occasional "this sucks, just because...!" review. They haven't.
So you're stuck with opinions written by people whose opinions doesn't matter more than any other of the board-monkeys - why bother?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would like to discuss this more with you, but I'm not allowed to post in Politics anymore.

Bruce
Madman
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: March 29, 2004, 07:00:49 PM

I am not sure how much weight my suggestion will hold, but lose the huge fucking banner that currently infests the top of the page. It is really annoying and it forces the screen to scroll much more than it should. If it does that at 1024x768, then I can't imagine what it does at 800x600. In fact I switched it and that banner takes up about the top 1/4 of the page on 800x600. it is much too large and has no real purpose since the little f13 logo redirects to the front page.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #28 on: March 29, 2004, 10:50:06 PM

Quote from: Madman
I am not sure how much weight my suggestion will hold, but lose the huge fucking banner that currently infests the top of the page. It is really annoying and it forces the screen to scroll much more than it should. If it does that at 1024x768, then I can't imagine what it does at 800x600. In fact I switched it and that banner takes up about the top 1/4 of the page on 800x600. it is much too large and has no real purpose since the little f13 logo redirects to the front page.

But.. But... the banner is a really hard ass looking asian anime. Its very cool. Its even got a badass scar. Gah, next it will be an elf with boobies. How very.
Madman
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: March 30, 2004, 05:52:25 AM

But.. But... the banner is a really hard ass looking asian anime. Its very cool. Its even got a badass scar. Gah, next it will be an elf with boobies. How very.

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not. I just don't see the necessity of such a large image. An image that size is fine for the front page, but it has no function on the forums. If they have to have that image on the forums, then at shrink it down and replace the f13.net logo or just shrink it down to the size of the old 'day' banner images from waterthread.
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: March 30, 2004, 07:54:11 AM

I agree on disliking the banner being on EVERY PAGE.  Maybe it is just because that IMO strife is one of the dumbest video game characters ever and FF8 sucked much ass.  All IMO of course.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #31 on: March 30, 2004, 09:52:59 AM

Quote from: Madman

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not. I just don't see the necessity of such a large image. An image that size is fine for the front page, but it has no function on the forums. If they have to have that image on the forums, then at shrink it down and replace the f13.net logo or just shrink it down to the size of the old 'day' banner images from waterthread.

Sorry, I should had added the /sarcasm tags. It was late.
Madman
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: March 30, 2004, 10:09:56 AM

Heh I figured it was sarcastic from the elf with boobies comment, but I couldn't quite be sure. After all there ARE people out there who like the elf with boobies pictures.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #33 on: March 30, 2004, 11:03:51 AM

THERE'S NAUGHT WRONG WIT' ELF BOOBIES, LAD!

Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #34 on: March 30, 2004, 11:41:41 AM

Quote from: HaemishM
THERE'S NAUGHT WRONG WIT' ELF BOOBIES, LAD!

http://www.elfporn.com

luv teh boobies.

Anyway, not saying there is, just, its a bit 15 year old mentality to have it at the top of the site.

Not to mention its a lot harder to view the site at work with the huge image up there. People take more notice.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Official Suggestion Thread: Redux  
Jump to: