Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:29:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: I Am Bad With Farm Games 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I Am Bad With Farm Games  (Read 13101 times)
ForumBot 0.8 beta
Terracotta Army

on: December 04, 2007, 11:44:00 AM

I Am Bad With Farm Games

<%image(rf.jpg|359|219|)%>

I'm addicted to Rune Factory, at least for the past week.  Unfortunately I'm really bad at a game which seems like it is made for teenage girls.

» Read More
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 12:43:09 PM

Ugg, i'm a fan of the harvest moon series.

I just don't understand why they keep putting them on the hand helds..

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 01:02:04 PM

I like these kinds of farm games and also tend to quit the instant the fairies and shit show up.. What system is this on?
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 01:08:41 PM

I like these kinds of farm games and also tend to quit the instant the fairies and shit show up.. What system is this on?

DS from what i can see, so i wont be playing it.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 01:12:44 PM

It is a DS game.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
geldonyetich2
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: December 04, 2007, 01:19:56 PM

I dabbled a bit with one of the original harvest moons, but my attempts to get into them after that have resulted in grind anxiety.

Rune Factory sounds interesting since the idea is putting the whole thing in a fantasy world where you can then take your livestock and use them as using them as party members while carving a bloody sweath through monster hordes.

I wouldn't bash the DS, it's generally showing up the PSP in terms of overall sexiness.
schild
Administrator

Reply #6 on: December 04, 2007, 01:23:02 PM

I wouldn't bash the DS, it's generally showing up the PSP in terms of overall sexiness.

Not lately.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #7 on: December 04, 2007, 01:41:24 PM

Rune Factory sounds interesting since the idea is putting the whole thing in a fantasy world where you can then take your livestock and use them as using them as party members while carving a bloody sweath through monster hordes.

That sounds awesome.  What you actually do is use them to harvest potatoes and to take a few shots for you in a dungeon.  You do a lot of farming in the dungeons (unless you are me and you are playing it wrong), which I would call caves since the word dungeon connotes other things.  You might like it anyway, but it's not Ultima Underworld With A Hoe, it's Harvest Moon Where Some Tools Are For Beating Asses.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #8 on: December 04, 2007, 02:25:41 PM

Oh. Combat component.

--interest;
Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: December 04, 2007, 03:13:01 PM

Great game overall.  Great sandbox potential wasted by a general lack of freedom.  Suffer from an overreliance on game guide (like most Japanese RPG) for the social aspect of the game.  The farming and dungeon delving is doable with out a FAQ.

The grind is there but less present than previous Harvest Moon.
I probably wont finish it but I never finished any Harvest Moon game.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: December 04, 2007, 04:31:08 PM

There seems to be less to do than in previous Harvest Moon games, too, I dunno.  I beat the game a few weeks ago, and have gone maybe a half year in game-time forward, and nothing has happened.  I have more money than I can ever spend, the best tools, the best weapons, the best house.  I got married, but I don't know why, since all the lady does is stand in one spot and give me a raw ear of corn once a day (the hell...?).  I'm killing time grinding my crafting skills to max (though it's rather pointless since I have already crafted the highest level weapons and accessories, and even THAT's pointless since I've already beaten the game, so there are no more bosses, and none of the generic mobs can take me even if I'm using vendor bought junk), but that's wearing a bit thin, since I'm in to winter, and there's fuck all to do but milk my cows and water my dungeon crops.  Even things like event days seem to consist entirely of people standing around in the town saying "Today is Bikini day" rather than some actual competition or mini game or something.  It just seems less fleshed out than Harvest Moon.

Re: the time limit... I don't think there is one technically, but there is a cave that you can only get to in winter.  If you haven't beaten that cave by the end of winter, you have to wait until next winter to try again (and you need to beat it to get access to the caves after it).  That can be a really, really boring wait if you miss your window.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #11 on: December 04, 2007, 06:01:07 PM

Don't use the Nucleus image linky tool icon.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: December 05, 2007, 10:40:02 AM

I dabbled a bit with one of the original harvest moons, but my attempts to get into them after that have resulted in grind anxiety.

I'm not dissing the DS, i just don't care about the DS. Or any mobile gaming, if i am mobile, then i'm not playing games. Point being, i like this series, but i think the last 2 were on a hand held..this disappoints me.

Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: December 05, 2007, 11:26:24 AM

I had a lot of fun with Rune Factory.  Really didn't need a game guide.  Haven't finished it yet, I shelved it for a while but I'll pick it up again.
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: December 05, 2007, 11:54:33 AM

This sounds good. I've been disappointed with DS games lately, so I've been looking for something to play while riding the bus in the mornings.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #15 on: December 05, 2007, 01:17:47 PM

Don't use the Nucleus image linky tool icon.

I almost didn't, but then I was like "What's this button do?" and then it seemed to work.  Next time, Photobucket.

EDIT: I mentioned the time limit because in Save the Homeland, you only get one year to get one of the nine (?) endings.  This is too much pressure for me to be able to enjoy myself.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 01:19:50 PM by Yegolev »

geldonyetich2
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: December 26, 2007, 10:08:20 PM

Bought a copy off Gamefly.

Great production values.  I wasn't expecting a several minute long anime intro and frequent voice overs.

Unfortunately, the save game function is broke so my beautiful farm is obliterated the moment the DS turns off.  ACK!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: I Am Bad With Farm Games  
Jump to: