Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:43:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Ultima Online  |  Topic: Magincia has seen better days. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Magincia has seen better days.  (Read 5980 times)
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

on: November 26, 2007, 04:26:41 AM

The bank is looking a little rough.  Anomalies like the strip of roof just kind of hanging illogically at the far end of the building are a little weird, but understandable given that the damage is all done in real-time as the daemons do their "suck up energy and then blow up everything in the area" attack.  The same attack insta-kills players into giblets and bodyparts if they're within it's radius, so you tend to see people scatter when it starts powering up.  Fun times.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 10:10:27 AM

You'd think that if modern games can do stuff like this in realtime, UO could at least figure out when roof tiles aren't attached to a building any more.

FRAPS of people scattering from the instakill AoE plz.  Bonus points for Benny Hill soundtrack.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 09:25:06 PM

You'd think that if modern games can do stuff like this in realtime, UO could at least figure out when roof tiles aren't attached to a building any more.

When another MMO puts on an event where the outcome is player-determined and carries permanent consequence, where I can actually see the badguys running around killing the townsfolk, and where previously-static environments can be blown into flaming chunks on the fly, I'll totally give the developers props when the odd bit of roofing doesn't stick up illogically.

I grant that the simplicity of the UO's presentation make shit like this a lot easier than it would be in a modern 3D game, where you can't just jigger some tiles around.  But then, it's not like UO has the resources of a modern 3D game to work with, either.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 12:00:04 PM

Too true.  I'm just continually amazed by how much lower the bar is set for MMOGs than it is for everything else.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
geldonyetich2
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 12:05:34 AM

There was once a precedence to it, what with the whole, "It's a challenge to sync up hundreds of players over a 56k modem" thing.  Now, that's no longer a good excuse.  Games like City of Heroes or Tabula Rasa, without auto-attack and requiring more interaction from the players to succeed, are quickly becoming the standard.  It's just a matter of time until somebody grows the neccessary rocks to introduce true and consistently used dynamic content like exploding buildings in 3d.  It's unlikely we'll see this in the typical EverQuest clone, though.
Driakos
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: November 30, 2007, 09:34:43 PM

This is probably happening in cases where multiple dynamic objects are stacked on top of each other.  Instances where holes in the static art, were replaced over the years by dynamics. (doesn't require a publish/map update, just a dyn fix .txt file).  To enable this event, the statics were deleted in the Magincia area, and replaced by dynamics completely.  Maybe a few cases where multiple dynamics are stacked on each other now.  Would take a couple demon blasts to remove.  Also could be the dyn file is respawning the old patchwork replacement dynamics at server ups.

Or... the script is just missing shit.

Either way, it's still a cool event.

oh god how did this get here I am not good with computer
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Ultima Online  |  Topic: Magincia has seen better days.  
Jump to: