Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:34:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: Getting Started 07-08 Edition 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Getting Started 07-08 Edition  (Read 54056 times)
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: November 29, 2007, 09:06:27 AM

I’m seeing alot more advertisement for groups in the 20-29 channel, they use acronyms I'm un-familiar with. I'm hesitant first because I'm not sure what I should be doing in a group other then what I do solo; song buff, debuff, us my combat arts, repeat. Second because I'm not sure what these groups are for, are they like instance groups or is it like sitting in a spot and pulling mobs to us type.

That's pretty much the role of a dirge - keep the debuffs up and poke at the targets when you can.  As for spells, I'd suggest putting out the gold to keep any version of Bria's at the highest level you can afford.  Master it whenever possible.  There is nothing like having in-combat power regen going.  The caster types will love you. 

I'm on AB with my dirge (I just really like that class for some reason) and recently got into my first PUG since I started on the server.  PUGs in EQ2 are such a breath of fresh air compared to the pain that are WoW PUGs.  Got into a group with two others in Stormhold Castle, which is a zone I'd never seen before.  The other members were like "Oh man, I'd forgotten how nice it is to have a dirge in the group" and I was thinking "damn, we are just mowing down these mobs like paper."  That night reminded me that I needed to upgrade my Bria's since power is sol important in combat.

Oh, and I think the gold and the experience are flowing faster since the last time I played.  I actually turned off combat experience when I was level 19 so that I wouldn't outlevel a bunch of quests I had; that's how quickly I was leveling just on quest xp alone.  Finally turned it back on in SH and went from early 21 to early level 24 in there from hunting and quests.

I'm definitely enjoying EQ2 from a casual standpoint (log in and play whenever I have time/feel like it) than I ever did playing WoW.

ArtificialKid
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: December 05, 2007, 08:55:35 AM

For what it's worth I got my certifcation test out of the way and ran my 10k so I'm back on bat country.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #37 on: December 05, 2007, 09:08:01 AM

What is it you're certified to do now? 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
ArtificialKid
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: December 05, 2007, 09:40:18 AM

Uh technically trading futures and commodities I guess.  Not really salient to my current job, but whatever they're willing to pay for, I'ma taking it.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: December 06, 2007, 06:26:10 AM

I think the playerbase is starting to really grasp how much the different minstrel classes add to a group, for a long time it was hard to prove. I mostly noticed it as a healer because it was just so much easier to keep people alive--shorter fights, less damage taken, etc.

As someone taking a short break from EQ2 and playing some WOW, I can't agree more with the difference on PUGs. It's funny, I've watched people say stuff here on F13 about PUGs and I've sort of shook my head and thought "gee, I never have much of a problem," but getting my characters in WOW up to the SM/ZF levels was a huge wakeup call.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Kirth
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: December 06, 2007, 06:45:38 AM

I'm 44 now, still questing along.

I'm starting the grasp alot of the more intricate things involved with the game like the heroic opportunities and tradeskilling. I've had the opportunity to go on a few group adventures. I have to say I prefer the shared instances to the single group instanced ones. Went on an interesting pug CT where the tank was wearing no stat plate in his appearance slots but the gear that actually contributed to his stats was garbage, and in some cases cloth/leather, needless to say we weren't very successful. I'm still shopping around of a guild or at least a group of people to regularly play with. as it stands now I log on and throw lfg up and if I'm not in something by 9:30/10 my time I give up because it is getting to late to start something at that point.  I still don't feel like I'm on a treadmill grinding levels, I'm taking things in and sometimes doing quest way below my level for kicks, and collections...so many collections. Sometimes I'll finish off a L&L or collection and ding a level and be like oh cool.  solo explored Klak'anon the other night for fun, really impressed how it still feels a bit like old ak'anon. Was trying to convince a few old EQ buddies to try it out and they did download the Play the Fae, however upon discovering that they had to roll fairies they stopped right there.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #41 on: December 06, 2007, 07:38:49 AM

I haven't played in ages.  (except a wee bit on a new Sarnak thingy)  If I can remember to find out, I'll play a little when the Xmas stuff goes in and then take another long break.  I guess I'm getting a little bored again.   

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #42 on: December 06, 2007, 07:40:46 AM

Cloth and leather tank  swamp poop
 ACK!

I should start playing again, my SK rocks even though he's not set up for gaining/holding aggro because I mostly solo. DFC/Ebon plate, though I do need a decent weapon (that's where not grouping bones me the hardest). He's 43, I think.

Oh, wait you're on CB? Never mind! I'm also very slow, you'll outlevel me in a week or so. I think I rolled this character about a year ago and he's my fastest levelling character.

Sig, I was also thinking about taking a break after xmas goodies, haven't played much either. Haven't really been playing any games except the Crysis demo now and again.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #43 on: December 06, 2007, 07:51:17 AM

Luckily, they don't ditch our names or erase (yet) so it's there when we need it.  I'm easily annoyed with games when it gets cold and snowy.  It might make you want ski but it makes me want to lay about and drink vodka.  Suppose it depends on which side of Norway you come from.

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: December 06, 2007, 08:37:57 AM

Was trying to convince a few old EQ buddies to try it out and they did download the Play the Fae, however upon discovering that they had to roll fairies they stopped right there.

They only have to create the Fae, they might have to log in with it once or not, I'm not sure.  After that you can create any race you want that starts in a fae starting zone.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: December 06, 2007, 08:48:35 AM

Luckily, they don't ditch our names or erase (yet) so it's there when we need it.  I'm easily annoyed with games when it gets cold and snowy.  It might make you want ski but it makes me want to lay about and drink vodka.  Suppose it depends on which side of Norway you come from.
I don't know back that far, I've only traced us to northern ireland.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: December 06, 2007, 09:02:25 AM

I agree with Signe about snow.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: December 20, 2007, 05:12:43 PM

Snow sucks. It was -50 F. this morning, I'm stuck with it until May.

Anyhoo I got my technical issues taken care of, and I gotta say I'm blown away by the sheer amount of content in EQ2. Quests everywhere, collections, achievements, status points, housing, blah blah blah. I'm sure some of it is new shininess coming from WoW for the last three years but I have to say after 8 levels or so I'm very impressed.

Playing a Shadowknight, and while its not exactly very innovative the combat system doesn't feel like I'm fighting underwater in melee, which was my major complaint with LOTRO and COH. 

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

I can tell more than 1 fucktard at a time to stfu, have no fears. - WayAbvPar

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: December 20, 2007, 05:57:36 PM

8 levels, bah. SK don't really get going for a while. Take the Blessing as your Master choice when it comes up. My SK is 45 now, by far my favorite class in the game. You've got it much easier with feign because it's now 12 hours instead of 10 seconds :P Quite a number of SKs here if you have queshuns.

Remember the SK is very dependent on casting for success, once you get into earning AAs, I suggest 448 in the Int line. 8 points in the spell crit is great, but don't put any into the heal crit right after it, because our heals crit using the spell crit formula, because they're lifetaps, not heals.

-50, where do you live, Canada? It gets cold here in upstate NY, but not that cold!
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: December 21, 2007, 01:46:37 AM

8 levels, bah. SK don't really get going for a while. Take the Blessing as your Master choice when it comes up. My SK is 45 now, by far my favorite class in the game. You've got it much easier with feign because it's now 12 hours instead of 10 seconds :P Quite a number of SKs here if you have queshuns.

Remember the SK is very dependent on casting for success, once you get into earning AAs, I suggest 448 in the Int line. 8 points in the spell crit is great, but don't put any into the heal crit right after it, because our heals crit using the spell crit formula, because they're lifetaps, not heals.

-50, where do you live, Canada? It gets cold here in upstate NY, but not that cold!

Cool, thanks.

I live in North Pole, Alaska. Ho ho ho-ly shit is it cold! as they say up here.

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

I can tell more than 1 fucktard at a time to stfu, have no fears. - WayAbvPar

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
Kirth
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: December 21, 2007, 04:04:45 AM

Cool, thanks.

I live in North Pole, Alaska. Ho ho ho-ly shit is it cold! as they say up here.

I'm Canadian and -50 is colder then it's ever been here. Make sure you do the tradeskill quest, takes a little bit of time but worth it. As for picking a tradeskill you can go with the one that makes your adept III 's (Alch for Fighters) or I'd suggest going with armorer to make mastercraft stuff for yourself and later one make money with. And if you didn't start in Grorwyn head over their asap (Griffon in butcherblock) and do all the quests.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 04:09:36 AM by Kirth »
Taymar
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: December 21, 2007, 06:18:02 AM

Having played around with some new characters, I can recommend anyone starting a new toon move to Timorous Deep for the quests and the quests rewards. The  sarnak are neutral so you do not have to be evil aligned to go through the quest sequences. The quests are fun, the experience is unreal and the rewards are much better than in other starting zones.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: December 21, 2007, 06:49:20 AM

Eh, it's a toss-up on trades for SKs. I'm an armorcrafter, and I've almost exclusively worn my own armor, so that has worked out very well for me. I do have an alchemist alt, but I haven't been keeping him up (I'm actually doing a round of tradeskilling right now, the new system is much kinder than the old new system). I mostly buy stuff at the broker, because I got lucky enough to get a LoN booster drop the week it came out and sold it for 12pp. Actually, I mostly have Masters with Adept IIIs filling in, which is overkill unless you play slow like I do (combat exp turned off since level 31, I'm 45).

I will third doing the new city quests, the rewards are ridiculously better, treasured stuff like original EQ2 legendary stuff. My sarnak bruiser has a cool bottle, I forget the name (but it's cool, too) to bonk people over the head with.
ArtificialKid
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: December 21, 2007, 08:34:58 AM

I'm 24 now, about to hit Butcherblock, but I'm gonna grind some scribing up first so I can take advantage of the T3 materials there.

I've been pretty happy with the GFey->Crushbone->Butcherblock progression so far.
Kirth
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: January 05, 2008, 07:30:58 PM

Estate of Unrest is amazing... all the little touches. Awesome place.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #55 on: January 07, 2008, 06:53:07 AM

Speaking of Unrest, a group of us killed the Bugaboo this weekend. First time for me. I was the only non-80 and we only had one healer but it went smoothly.

For those that don't know, once you enter the house, a 80x2 spawns outside and slowly circles the mansion.  Loot was forgettable (since I forgot what it was.)  He has a lot fewer hps than one would expect of a 80x2.

Lastly, RoK has clearly brought back "camping the named" from EQ1 for some select quests and I expect there will be a bunch of this (and possibly major faction grinding) for the epic weapons. Now, the respawn timers on these nameds needed for quests are only about an hour but I found myself getting really annoyed after only about 30 minutes. That is how much my expectations have changed.

I have never played WoW.
Kirth
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: February 18, 2008, 06:25:40 AM

Ding 80  awesome, for real
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #57 on: February 18, 2008, 07:40:51 AM

catass  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Kirth
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: February 18, 2008, 09:33:09 PM

catass  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Don't be hating. I considered my leveling in this to be pretty casual.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #59 on: February 28, 2008, 11:21:25 AM

Me too on Sunday! Started my epic.

I have never played WoW.
Kirth
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: March 01, 2008, 06:35:07 AM

Me too on Sunday! Started my epic.

Nice, what class? I finished mine (Dirge) in 5 days but I think I got pretty lucky with some of the drops and getting into groups at the right time.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #61 on: March 01, 2008, 01:36:37 PM

Berserker. It is an easy epic as far as I can tell. I just don't play very much.

I have never played WoW.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: Getting Started 07-08 Edition  
Jump to: