Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:04:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: Calling all Coercers or Illusionists 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Calling all Coercers or Illusionists  (Read 5023 times)
DarkSign
Terracotta Army

on: November 18, 2007, 07:06:06 AM

I'm thinking of going back to EQ2 (everyone says this at some point, right?) but really have my heart set on being an Enchanter. If y'all tell me it's utterly broken for these guys, I'll believe you...since it was when I left 2 months after release.

Back in EQ1 days I maxxed out every class there was (save Warrior and Ranger) but Enchanters, Shamans, and Necros were my favorites...in that order.

Is there hope that I can mass mez an entire raid level group of mobs at top level?
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 08:13:57 AM

They're both highly desired in raiding. Coercers end up in MT group. Enchanters end up as DPS and can do pretty reasonably at it. Both are mostly sought as buffbots, though there are a few encounters when the mezzing is helpful.

I suspect they will be in more demand in ROK where encounters seem to have more adds.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
DarkSign
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 09:06:55 AM

I really really enjoyed what others feared...keeping mobs under my control. The first time I got a feel for just being able to stop something running right at me, I was hooked. Then when you get to stop EVERYTHING around your entire party? My god. That's such a rush.

Sure it's a bit like playing goalie...if you let one slip by your mates really get on to you, but damn is it worth it if you can do it well.

Which side has more mez/charm abilities?
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 11:09:52 AM

Coercers charm and illusionists get a pet.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
geldonyetich2
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 01:32:12 PM

I mostly played them in the mid-to-lower level game and so didn't really get a chance to see them in raids.  I ended up a bit discouraged with them because it seems players have no real need for mob control in EQ2 (at least the non-raid majority of the game).  It seems that a stout tank backed up with a healer can tank a near infinite amount of mobs, meanwhile the nukers cause them to drop like flies in ridiculously short order.  Very casual-friendly game, EQ2.
DarkSign
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 12:01:58 PM

I agree with the last comment. Dont get me wrong..im loving them solo and even in low-level pvp (Im 16 now) but when you're grouping people dont want you to mez and charm stuff...they just plow through.
Shame really. There was always a bit of education required by enchanters in EQ1, but here people dont want to change their run-and-gun methods. Oh well. I'll level up my sk too ;)
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: December 18, 2007, 12:07:52 PM

This wasn't the case at launch. However, the game has been made easier or "more casual friendly" with each patch released. Not that that's a bad thing according to most people, but there you have it.

My personal take on chanters is, mez adds we get (and call it so people know not to get on them) but leave the mobs in an encounter alone. Fighting 3 ^ or 4 no arrow mobs is why people have AoEs, and some classes (Warlock, I'm looking at you) and players specialize in them. Things like passive out-of-encounter AoE procs don't help either.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
DarkSign
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: December 20, 2007, 07:36:15 AM

That makes sense. That particular gameplay reminds me of whatever that zone was outside Karnor's Castle. We'd bring in like 5 mobs...i'd mez 3 and the group would attack 2. My job was to hold adds and keep our killing speed up by having one 'on-deck'. A good monk-enchanter combo worked well ;)

EQ2 has more AoE goodness...so I guess Im just needing to switch up my game strategy.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: Calling all Coercers or Illusionists  
Jump to: