Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:24:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Obo -- SDK Tutorial please! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Obo -- SDK Tutorial please!  (Read 3197 times)
Nerf
Terracotta Army

The Presence of Your Vehicle Has Been Documented

on: November 13, 2007, 11:03:09 PM

I tried to figure it out, I really did, but I havn't touched a map editor in 5 years and that was quake, I just cant figure this shit out.

I really want to remake some of the maps from Global Operations, the game played extremely similar to TF2 and I think the maps would port over almost flawlessly, with a few changes here and there to account for thrown remote det bombs instead of placed.

Antarctica - CTF
Only drawback is that it forces a single bottleneck in the middle, altho I think if we can stop turret placements inside the warehouse we might be fine.

Theres a bunch of other maps that should port over without much mods, the only difference in the games is engineers, and soldiers have a mighty shitton of rockets, instead of the one LAW.

Just get me started and I can handle most of the actual map construction, I'll just need a hand with some texturing.

Mirror of old official website - http://www.thelostparadise.com/globalopsgame/levels.html
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 11:58:30 PM by Nerf »
Nerf
Terracotta Army

The Presence of Your Vehicle Has Been Documented

Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 11:57:21 PM

After looking through all the maps again, the other two that really need to be ported over are SriLanka (think dustbowl, 3 stages, attack/defend), and Chechnya (gravelpit)

The others could be ported over, but these 3 would play exactly like 2fort, gp, and dustbowl, and not some godforsaken clusterfuck like some of those customs we were fucking with earlier.
Chechnya - AA guns are A/B, and instead of assassiate the terrorist, it's cap C for the win.

Sri Lanka - Plays similar to DB, altho only 2 stages currently.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 12:51:55 PM

I know it's a bit of a stretch, but Valve actually sells a DVD to teach you how to use the SDK. Advance tricks included and all of that.

If you do get a nice tutorial, let me know. I tried my best to get started with Hammer, but some of the simplest things take a lot of tweaking to get right.
Obo
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 04:24:10 PM

Ugh... where to start. Still have a lot to learn myself, but I suppose I could try and outline the basics first.

Okay, first of all, all maps need to be sealed off from the outside void before you try to compile them. If there are any leaks/gaps in the world brushes/blocks in the outer most layer, so that you can see into the void beyond, then there will be problems. There is a prefab you can use to handle all of this, which has a skybox & light_environment to handle the basics.

Click the 'Entity Tool' on the left.
Over on the right side there will be "Categories" and "Objects" selection lists.
Set Categories to 'Prefab' and select the 'box' object
Click on the grid where you want it and then hit enter to inset the prefab.

Everything else will have to be then placed within this box, which can be resized by just selecting it and dragging the corners. Prefabs will be inserted as a 'group'. If you want to manipulate the indvidual parts of the prefab, select it and hit ctrl+u to ungroup them (to make a group select all the objects to be grouped and hit ctrl+g).

On the right side of the screen there will be a 'VisGroups' section. If you click on the 'auto' tab there should be an entry for 'Sky'. If you deselect this it will hide the skybox textured brushes. I found doing this is handy when you want to select a collection of other geometry later on without snagging the skybox.
I wish Hammer had AutoCADs different window selection modes, where if you drag the selection window one way it only selects items within the window, but if you drag it the other way it selects anything the window crosses. In Hammer it selects anything the window crosses, so you'll always be snagging the skybox if you don't turn it off.
Just remember to turn it back on when compiling. Or just leave inserting this til last.

The 'Block Tool' is used to create world brushes, which are the basic geometry of the map.
Drag a window on the 2D views to determine what size the brush will be (you can use [ and ] to adjust the size of the grid. by default vertices will always snap to the grids), and then hit enter to insert to brush/block. Again over on the 'Categories' and 'Objects' you can set what type of Primitive you want, blocks, arches, cylinders, cones etc. You can still manipulate the size of the brush after it has been inserted.
I hadn't actually played with anything but block type primitives... as I didn't realise there were any other types.  tongue

When the brush is inserted it will assume whatever texture is selected over on the right hand side of the screen, and apply it to all faces.
When selecting textures (or prefabs, or models, or overlays etc) it's best to stick to what is in the TF2 selections, even though you may have access to all the HL and CS stuff. Otherwise if someone who only has TF2 tries to play the map it will be screwed up for them.

Click on Browse beside the current texture to bring up the texture browser.
In the 'Keywords' drop-down box at the bottom select 'tf'
You can then use the filter to search for the like of concrete, wood, nature etc.
Double click on your desired texture and that become the selected texture for new brushes.

You can also apply that texture to an existing brush, by selecting the brush and then clicking the 'Apply current Texture' button (7th down on the left side).
When applying textures to all faces like this I found it is better to pick a generic pattern-less texture, otherwise you'd have to be cleaning up individual faces for mis-aligned patterns (you could see a load of em I missed on the map last night).

To edit a single face's texture click on the 'Toggle Texture Application' button (6th down on the left or shit+A). Here you can align, scale or select a new texture for that particular face. Just pick a face in the 3D camera view (navigate with WASD and arrow keys) with the tool on (should have a bucket icon). It should be pretty straight forward.
You can set the default texture scale in the options window if you find you keep having to alter scales.

To get a good sense of scale on the maps (like I'm an expert at that  Ohhhhh, I see.) you can insert a resupply locker prefab.
Before the official SDK release, part of the instructions for the hacked up activation method were a bunch of community made prefabs, which include resupply lockers, capture points, roller doors (and now looking at it closer a bunch of standard entities I should have put in my map that would have made the lighting better, ugh). So if you can find those instructions somewhere, there should be a download for 'prefabsandfgd.rar'. There will be a TF2 Prefabs folder in there that you can put into '..\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\prefabs'. When you now select the entity tool, there should be a TF2 Prefabs category to select from.

So you can insert a supply locker there to get a sense of scale.
When inserting lockers this way, make sure you don't just copy and paste it if you want a second one. When these particular prefabs are inserted they have their 'name' values incremented by some counter (if you open the prefab file, the names will be like 'prop_resupply_red_&i', where the &i will translate to 1, 2, 3.. etc for each instance of that inserted prefab). If you were to just copy and paste, both the lockers, triggers etc would have to same names, so walking up to one would also trigger the other (you would see the others doors open). Would be more of an issue with the roller doors.
So, insert an actual prefab for each instance you want. Over time people will probably release more prefabs for the essentials to build up maps quicker.

Or if you didn't want to use prefabs, you could just piece them together yourself. The resupply lockers are pretty easy with just two elements to them:

Insert an entity of object type 'prop_dynamic' (selected in the 'objects' drop-down orver on the right side of the screen, or insert any type of Entity and edit its properties to select the correct Class).
Select the entity, right-click and select properties (or alt+enter).
Set the World Model as 'models/props_gameplay/resupply_locker.mdl' (you can browse with the model viewer) and give it a unique name
Then put a brush around the locker with a texture type of 'tools/toolstrigger'
Select the brush and hit ctrl+t to tie the brush to an entity of class type 'func_regenerate'. Then set 'associated model' to the name you gave to the locker prop. And then set the team.

And that should be it. When ever someone of the set team passes through the trigger brush they should regenerate.

You can insert static props, like signs, as entities in a similar way, but with the 'prop_static' class. The TF2 sign models have different skins, for example in the model browser you will only see the big wooden red control point signs for the A CP. If you insert that model as a prop you can turn it into a B or C sign by changing the skin keyvalue from 0 to 1 or 2. It's the same for a lot of the signs ('Intelligence', 'Resupply', 'Battlements' etc all on one model).

To apply non model signs you need an Overlay, which are special textures.
You need an existing brush face to apply the overlay using the Overlay Tool (9th down on the left or shift+O). Using the tool, click on a face in the 3D view and an overlay node will be placed near that face. Then edit the properties of the overlay, selecting the texture you want (filter by 'overlay' or 'sign' for the most likely ones you can use).

There is a straight forward tutorial here on building spawnrooms

Enough to get started?
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 10:58:25 PM

I got half way through and realized if I read this now (2AM) I won't remember a damn thing. Thanks for writing it up!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Obo -- SDK Tutorial please!  
Jump to: